Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Amanda Blake (Miss Kitty from Gunsmoke) died of AIDS?

Have been watching "Gunsmoke" reruns lately and was trying to figure out how old Amanda Blake was so I checked out her Wikipedia page.

First of all, wow, she looked insanely old for her actual years (at least in comparison to modern Hollywood actresses).

Secondly, what's the story behind her dying of AIDS at just 60 years old in 1989? Was one of her former husbands poz? Did she use IV drugs?

Any gossip?

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2014

"Amanda Blake's death certificate listed the immediate cause of death as cardiopulmonary arrest due to liver failure and cytomegalo virus (CMV) hepatitis. CMV hepatitis is AIDS-related according to Sacramento internist Dr. Lou Nishimura. The AIDS virus was thought to have been contracted from her last husband, Mark Spaeth, a member of the city council of Austin, Texas. The openly bisexual Spaeth (1939-1985), also died of complications of the disease."

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

I reckon this thread could turn ugly, and I want every last one a you to know that I'm a watch'n, and I won't cotton to any of you boys talk'n bad about Miss Kitty.

Did you know she left her estate to animal protection charities, and insisted that no fur was ever shown on any episode of Gunsmoke?

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

My guess is she didn't have work done, and it worked for the character, cause you know Miss Kitty had been around the block a few times.

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

It was the syphilis.

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

She died from heart worms.

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2013

I did not know that r2. But that sounds adorable.

God can you imagine the insanity of Miss Kitty and Matt shippers if a show like Gunsmoke aired today?

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2013

I know a cat whose people call her Miss Kitty, in honor of the character & the actress. That was a pretty good show, for a western.

by Anonymousreply 707/24/2013

Good looking woman in her youth. Not her fault the show lasted 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 807/24/2013

I know this is an old post but I thought I would answer anyway.

She was a beautiful woman, in her youth and as she aged. At that time in Hollywood, women were allowed to age and cosmetic surgery was not required as it is today.

She died of AIDS but she never said how she contracted it. Anyone who says she "told them" how she got it is being disingenuous. Common belief is that she contracted it from her last husband who was gay and died of AIDS-related illness shortly after their divorce but she denies that the marriage was ever consummated. Although she did not use IV drugs, she had several other risk factors. We will never truly now how she contracted the virus.

by Anonymousreply 909/22/2014

[quote]It was the syphilis.

Ya mean the French Disease?

by Anonymousreply 1009/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.