Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bizarre New Toni Collette CBS Series: "Hostages"

[quote]The family of a doctor, who will be doing surgery on the United States President, is taken hostage by a rogue FBI agent. She is ordered by the kidnappers to assassinate the President in order to save her family.

You can make this into a series??!

by Anonymousreply 4001/25/2014

I know. Sounds like a mini-series at best.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

And the critics say...

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

The description is so badly written.

We have a rogue FBI agent described as "kidnappers" (plural).

"Assassinate" is not something one normally associates with "doing surgery", so who knows what this means. Is she supposed to botch the surgery?

Stay tuned?

I like Toni a lot, but...

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

She does the best American accent!

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

I wouldn't watch this even if they were waterboarding the president in porpoise spit and looped 'Dancing Queen' into every scene.

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2013

She's terrible, Muriel.

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2013

So far it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 709/24/2013

It is a 15 episode mini series.

The second half of the season will be another series.

by Anonymousreply 809/24/2013

I love that American TV is going a little British. There is no need to force a series into a 22 episode box if it doesn't belong there.

by Anonymousreply 909/24/2013

It tanked opposite The Blacklist.

I didn't mind it, mostly because Collette is very compelling and McDermott is extremely hot.

by Anonymousreply 1009/25/2013

It's Mariel

by Anonymousreply 1109/25/2013

Uhh, no, it isn't, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1209/25/2013

It's Mary-El.

by Anonymousreply 1309/25/2013

It's Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 1409/25/2013

Enough with the fucking name game.

by Anonymousreply 1509/25/2013

I liked it and will be watching for part 2 tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1609/30/2013

I'm out - getting worse. Only reason to watch is to see Dylan's handsome 50 year old face.

by Anonymousreply 1710/01/2013

[quote] You can make this into a series??!

[quote]I know. Sounds like a mini-series at best.

Not only can you make it into a series, you can stretch that sucker out for 3 or 5 or 8 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 1810/01/2013

It's a true delight!

by Anonymousreply 1910/01/2013

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio!

by Anonymousreply 2010/08/2013

Collette's face looks more and more like The Joker. And those bangs weren't a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 2110/08/2013

Her success has always baffled me. Not pretty, sexy or particularly talented. Anonymous; how many U.S. Americans could pick her out of a line-up?

She was great as Muriel, but why so much work? She's never stopped working in 20 years.

Does she work for free or something?

by Anonymousreply 2210/08/2013

It might have been the lighting by Mastrantonio looked like pure evil on last night's episode.

by Anonymousreply 2310/08/2013

Sorry to the Toni fans, but she needs to eat something. Her face is getting Crypt Keeper-like - sunken cheeks like whoa. Those bangs and hair hanging down on her face are not helping. I kept staring at her bony arms during last nights episode.

On the other hand, I was also checking out Dylan McDermott. Now, he's looking damn good.

by Anonymousreply 2410/08/2013

Looks like Toni will come crawling back to Broad-way, soon.

by Anonymousreply 2510/08/2013

Poor Toni, poor Rachel Griffiths.

by Anonymousreply 2610/08/2013

Well, at least they got out of Australia!

by Anonymousreply 2710/08/2013

We're supposed to be pulling for Dylan here, so what do you suppose the evil near-the-Prez bad guys are doing to the wife? And would you kill the President to save a loved one? I wouldn't, I don't think.

by Anonymousreply 2810/08/2013

I bet there's a connection between Duncan's dad and the President.

by Anonymousreply 2910/09/2013

Felicity Huffman would have been so much better in the role than Collette.

by Anonymousreply 3010/09/2013

Toni Collette is barely putting any effort in trying to emote in this show, like it's beneath her, but she needs the paycheck.

On tonight's episode, TC watched on her cellphone as her husband got shot by the team holding them hostage. Her facial expressions were so mock shock/horror that it was laughable.

by Anonymousreply 3110/22/2013

I swear that TC's face has so much botox in it that she can't do anything to express emotion but bug her eyes out. She used to be a better actress than this.

by Anonymousreply 3210/22/2013

Poor Toni. When your show ends, come to Broadway in GYPSY!

by Anonymousreply 3310/22/2013

I like it. It's one of my favorite shows of the new season. I didn't think they could stretch it either but each week leaves me wanting to watch the next.

by Anonymousreply 3410/22/2013

I just finished watching the series on Tivo. I think it finished up earlier this season. I actually loved the series and enjoyed the performances. There were twists and turns right up until the last moment.

Let me just say I am not one of those black people to cry racism. I don't believe there was anything particularly racist about this show. However, I did find it weird that every black character got killed. I just find that odd. Didn't it strike the writers at any point that all of the black characters were killed? And of the six characters killed, four of them were black.

And maybe it wasn't the writers, because there is no reason the killed characters had to be cast as black. Maybe it was the production in general. SPOILERS here if you care - The Nurse killed at the beginning was black. The CIA official killed roadside was black. And the last show, two black men were offed. Didn't anyone at any point say, wait a minute, this might seem inappropriate?

Maybe it's more palatable for America in general to have a black character killed, as if a white life is more valuable and has to have a greater justification to end.

by Anonymousreply 3501/23/2014

I FLOVE that show! I so miss it. I hope it comes back for another season although I don't know what story they have left to tell. I got so hooked on that show.

by Anonymousreply 3601/23/2014

[quote] Let me just say I am not one of those black people to cry racism. I don't believe there was anything particularly racist about this show. However, I did find it weird that every black character got killed. I just find that odd. Didn't it strike the writers at any point that all of the black characters were killed?

That's the rule in American TV. The black people usually always get killed. Another rule is there always have to be rogue agents working against the good guys. ALWAYS. Every season of 24 had this.

by Anonymousreply 3701/23/2014

A friend of mine is a doctor, and he was a consultant on the show. He had to tell Toni C about how a doctor would act at certain times, what some terminology meant, etc. He said he was astonished at how bright she was, and how quickly she picked everything up. He also said she was extremely nice. I was glad to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 3801/24/2014

I love Toni C. She is one of my favorite actress. I just wish she would eat something with fat in it.

by Anonymousreply 3901/25/2014

You can't stop PROGRESS!

by Anonymousreply 4001/25/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!