Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone live in a college town?

This weekend I decided to drive to my old college. I really didn't appreciate it enough when I was there, I really wanted to get to the big city.

Anyway, I've been in the city for almost 20 years and I seriously thought about moving back to my old college town. It's one of those places where the college is the town.

Anyone live in a college town? Any drawbacks?

by Anonymousreply 1307/24/2013

I', a middle-aged professional and live in Davis, Ca., a college town if ever there was one. It's a safe, clean, attractive, liberal, environmentally conscious town, and bike-oriented town. I'm extremely fond of the place, and may retire here.

There aren't too many drawbacks, but the one that applies to all college towns is the huge number of the students. They're everywhere, in all the public places, in all the rental housing, doing all the service jobs (not well), driving like idiots, etc. Sometimes it can be energizing to be surrounded by all that youthful enthusiasm, sometimes it can be annoying to be surrounded by so many thoughtless young twerps.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

Aren't most college towns rather isolated and boring?? You really would just have to research the specific college town you are considering. If you don't like being around late teens/early 20 year olds reconsider.

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

I live in Berkeley. The pro is that I get to fuck all the incoming Freshmen. The con is every year, I feel older and more out of place. Pretty soon I won't be able to pass for a student anymore.

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

[quote] I seriously thought about moving back to my old college town.

Maybe if you'd named the town, your post would have been more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

For me, the whole point of going to college was to move from the country to a big city to do so. It never occurred to me to go to college in some small town. I still live in my college city, 25 years later.

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2013

I try to limit my exposure to spoiled, lazy, entitled, immature punks, so living where there is a concentration of them would be torture.

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2013

I live in a college town and the biggest problem is that the university is large enough it can pretty much push around city government. The (untaxed) university is also gobbling up property, killing the city tax base.

by Anonymousreply 707/24/2013

I've lived in a number of different college "towns" as well as several college cities.

The only drawback that I've run up against is ending up with some dickwad freshman who plays their music too loud as an upstairs neighbor. So if you like things quiet avoid living near the student ghetto and find a place to live that is in an area that appeals to the college crowd.

I personally find them more interesting places to live. People on average will be more educated. There usually are more decent cheap places to eat. There are usually more things going on in a college town over a similar sized town with no college. Extension classes are interesting to take. They're usually more liberal. I could go on.

by Anonymousreply 807/24/2013

I've considered living in a college town in England. I understand the appeal.

Problem is, Oxford, although the university buildings etc are very beautiful is a place with a strange sort of heaviness, unfortunately... graveyard in the very centre of the city (whose idea was that?) and it's very damp. So physically it's not a good place to live in and it's actually very provincial in spite of the great university.

Cambridge (UK) is also not well located geographically and also has a bunch of problems that wouldn't make it top of the list of desirable places to live.

Cambridge MA seemed to me to be quite charming and if I had to live in Boston USA, I think I'd like to live there, though this:- 'The only drawback that I've run up against is ending up with some dickwad freshman who plays their music too loud as an upstairs neighbor.' fills me with dread.

by Anonymousreply 907/24/2013

I lick in Westwood. Better than West Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1007/24/2013

OP, which college town did you revisit?

by Anonymousreply 1107/24/2013

Durham, NH (home of the University of New Hampshire) is a lovely place in the summertime—when all the students have gone home. I dread going there any other time of year...

[quote]sometimes it can be annoying to be surrounded by so many thoughtless young twerps

by Anonymousreply 1207/24/2013

Loses its appeal after a few days. It is just students and underemployed locals. Miss the big city life with its varied population, genuine liberal attitude and things to do.

by Anonymousreply 1307/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.