Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Cate Best Actress worthy in the Woody Allen film?

I'm worried.

by Mreply 8608/02/2013

Well. I asked a question!!!!

by Mreply 107/25/2013

Maybe

by Mreply 207/25/2013

We, of course, would have to puzzle it out a bit.

by Mreply 307/25/2013

I love Cate Blanchett and I was furious when Gwyneth beat her for the Best Actress Oscar when Elizabeth & Shakespeare in Love were both contending. So anything Cate Blanchett does is Oscar worthy as far as I'm concerned.

She is outstanding in every single thing she does. I don't think she has ever given a bad performance. In fact, she consistently gives amazing, incredible performances. I love her.

by Mreply 407/25/2013

Blanchett is a much better actress than Streep.

by Mreply 507/25/2013

It's too Soon to tell.

by Mreply 607/25/2013

What R5 said.

Blanchette could have made it as a star in the 30s and 40s. I'm not so sure Meryl would have been able to do that. Just opinion, of course.

by Mreply 707/25/2013

I saw her on letterman and her skin looks great! Damn, I wish I knew her secret...

by Mreply 807/25/2013

Isn't Cate set to be in The Price of Salt? It's a lesbian story by Patricia Highsmith. I believe she and Mia W. (Don't ask me to spell her last name) are both in it. Can't wait.

by Mreply 907/25/2013

She was so fucking haughty and fun with Letterman. He praised her performance like crazy. Without saying that Woody Allen was predictable, or his characters a bit too isolated to be appreciated, he said she made this movie her own show in a way that was human and startling. Clip was great. She plays a Ruth Madoff on the skids, completely a mess, but a self involved narcissist nonetheless.

She is always good and sometimes astounding. She deserves all good things, but the Oscars are a weird game.

I am going to see the film for sure.

by Mreply 1007/25/2013

I loved Cate when it was not as fashionable (anyone remember Oscar and Lucinda?), and I think there are some performance gems of hers, like in Veronica Guerin, that should not be missed.

I know her performance in The Aviator is not very popular here, but I thought she made Kate her own and yet very much like the Kate we know from movies.

I saw her in Streetcar where she was amazing and in Uncle Vanya where she was uneven.

But I did find her mannered in Babel and Notes on the Scandal, so I hope she is not going the Streep route of hamming it in her later years.

She is insufferable in interviews - VERY full of herself.

by Mreply 1107/25/2013

Her Letterman interview was somehow "off", I agree.

She had a very good hour interview with Charlie Rose though.

I LOVED her in Streetcar (I saw it twice) and Uncle Vanya (she was superb).

I adore her but I will say there is one AWFUL performance in her career - that Spielberg-directed Raiders sequel, but I blame Spielberg.

by Mreply 1207/26/2013

She's doing a play with Isabelle Huppert this summer. I would love to see THAT combo.

by Mreply 1307/26/2013

How can anyone have a good hour with Charlie Rose? I am not being a prick, but I have answered my own rhetorical question.

Letterman was not "off", she was quite a mocking sarcastic bitch. I didn't mind, why not have someone be themselves sometime. It was still enjoyable in a tense way.

Babel was babel. But I loved "Notes on a Scandal." Sheba was meant to be a rather vain and gullible character, insecure and rebellious. Blanchett was so smeared and sexy. I get that her performance might have been mannered.

At a certain point if I like it, I don't question it. I question Streep a lot, because I seldom like it...

by Mreply 1407/26/2013

maybe she's got the menopause

by Mreply 1507/26/2013

LOL R11. Insufferable. That's a gay word.

by Mreply 1607/26/2013

Nahhh. She got da cansuh!

by Mreply 1707/26/2013

I love her as an actress, it's inexplicable how Paltrow beat her to the Oscar. Cate always looks amazing and is one of the most elegant women out there.

by Mreply 1807/26/2013

Cate was pretty new to the scene back in 1998 and Shakespeare in Love was a more popular film than Elizabeth.

Like it or not Gwyneth was the it girl of the moment coming off acclaimed work in Flesh and Bone and Emma. Plus Gwyneth had Weinstein marketing and people didn't know what a snot she was yet..........

by Mreply 1907/26/2013

I wouldn't know as I nor anyone I know follows Woody Allen films any more. A couple I've chanced to see from his nomadic years seem lightweight and remote. But I like Cate in all the films I have seen with her.

by Mreply 2007/26/2013

Is Woody Allen worthy of Cate, I would rather ask!

She is a great actress, but compared to other great Aussie actresses like Jacki Weaver or Toni Colette her talents are not as great as those, I find. Woody Allen movies make me nothing but sleepy though.

R4 Don't know if Cate deserved the Oscar more than Goop, but Goop gave a stunning performance in that movie. Disliking Goop is one thing, but saying she is a bad actress is ignorant.

by Mreply 2107/26/2013

Sorry, M, but you're not getting a fourth, not anytime soon. This is Cate's year - or Judi Dench's.

Everyone could tell how insincere you were when you laughed about your "last time up here" so they're going to give you a break for a nice long while. You'll rack up some noms, but no more wins till your 70s.

by Mreply 2207/26/2013

r22=Viola, poor bitter Viola

by Mreply 2307/26/2013

What's Judi Dench in BTW? I thought she went blind.

by Mreply 2407/26/2013

I hear the Witch in Into the Woods will be wearing a size 16.

by Mreply 2507/26/2013

She's in Philomena, true story about a woman who tries to find the son who was taken away from her when her family forced her to live in the convent.

Everyone knows Judi's acting days are numbered because of the macular degeneration, and she only has a single Supporting Oscar. She's much more award worthy than you, M. Likewise Cate, who's in the same Oscar boat as Judi.

by Mreply 2607/26/2013

Pity Law and Order isn't on anymore Viola....you could play a judge. (and that green dress you wore made you look like the Little Mermaid.)

by Mreply 2707/26/2013

[quote]She's in Philomena, true story about a woman who tries to find the son who was taken away from her when her family forced her to live in the convent.

Didn't Lifetime do that with Valerie Bertinelli in the lead?

by Mreply 2807/26/2013

Judi Dench is stupendous. Acted circles around Cate in Notes of a Scandal. Sorry Cate!

by Mreply 2907/26/2013

Bitch had my entire subplot cut.

by Mreply 3007/26/2013

dykey muppet face. shes ok sometimes but its fuckin weird the props some people throw on her "best ever" and what not. no shes not, shes not that good

by Mreply 3107/26/2013

The film is seriously good; Cate - indeed everyone was superb. I am still thinking about it.

by Mreply 3207/27/2013

A stunning performance, R21?

You're American, aren't you?

Thanks for the laugh.

by Mreply 3307/27/2013

I wish Cate had not won her Oscar for "The Aviator". What a travesty. Not because she was bad, but because, well, neither the role nor the performance was Oscar-worthy. (I think Virginia Madsen deserved it that year for "Sideways". She was a revelation in that film and gave a gorgeous performance.)

She was okay in "Uncle Vanya". That entire production was just okay, and at times less than that. My friend and I both fell asleep at different points. She has amazing stage presence though.

Can't wait to see her in "Blue Jasmine". I loved her in "Oscar and Lucinda", and in "Elizabeth", and in "Notes on a Scandal". She was also stunningly good in a very small part in "The Shipping News", and in that film she was not bested by Dench.

by Mreply 3407/27/2013

R33 .......... way off buddy, LOL

by Mreply 3507/27/2013

So then you just have horrible taste, R33/35.

Just as funny.

by Mreply 3607/27/2013

I saw Blue Jasmine on opening day. It's a mess. As an homage to A Streetcar Named Desire, it just doesn't work. And Cate doesn't seem to be acting in the same movie as the other performers. She doesn't seem to be in the same climate, either. She's sweaty and dishevelled most of the time, as if the movie really were set in New Orleans, not San Francisco.

by Mreply 3707/27/2013

Blanchett is always interesting and often superb in film. On stage she can be wildly uneven. She was fine but not as impressive as her fellow actors in the excellent production of Uncle Vanya. In Streetcar she was an over the top mess who gave you the entire story of Blanche before she uttered her first line and was left with nothing else to play for three hours.

by Mreply 3807/27/2013

R36 Ehm ..... I think its you with the bad judgement.

by Mreply 3907/27/2013

Gena Rowlands was robbed of an Oscar for her role in Woody Allen's Another Woman

by Mreply 4007/27/2013

American critics are so desperate for quality movie entertainment, they'll praise even a second-rate production like Blue Jasmine. Audiences seem to be desperate too. I saw the movie in the middle of a Friday afternoon and the theater was packed. Normally at that time of day there are only a handful of people in the theater.

by Mreply 4107/27/2013

No, R39, only you and her parents think she's "stunning" in that film, and most people think she was one of the most undeserving Osar winners in recent memory.

You're wrong on this one.

by Mreply 4207/27/2013

I'm desperate for quality movie entertainment, too. Have not been to one movie all year.

PS: Gena Rowlands was robbed of her Oscar for Opening Night, A Woman Under the Influence and Minnie and Moscowitz.

by Mreply 4307/27/2013

If you're looking for quality movie entertainment, see Before Midnight.

by Mreply 4407/27/2013

R43 you need to see her in Another Woman

by Mreply 4507/27/2013

Like you said, Mer-Mer, you'll never be at that podium again!

How delightful! I mean, how sad for you. I AM disappointed. No chance at seeing you repurpose another tablecloth from your home as an Oscar dress. Ah, well.

by Mreply 4607/27/2013

That chick in "Scary Movie" summed up Goop's flawed performance in SIL, R21...

by Mreply 4707/27/2013

Before Midnight is insufferable.

by Mreply 4807/27/2013

Goop is one of the rare occassions the weakest nominee won. Not just Cate, but Emily Watson and Fernanda Montenegro were of course better. And M herself, always in the frame. Worthy of a nomination, but not a win.

by Mreply 4907/27/2013

LOVED Fernanda Montenegro in "Central Station"...of course, she didn't stand a chance.

by Mreply 5007/27/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Mreply 5107/27/2013

The film isn't in wide release, or even in art houses outside of NYC and LA, so the question is basically rhetorical, at this point, for most of us.

by Mreply 5207/27/2013

Yes, I believe so.

by Mreply 5307/27/2013

Sandra Bullock, Natalie Portman, J Law all gave weaker performances than Goop. Most Oscars wins are undeserving unfortunately - all HW politics, not really based on the quality of a performance.

by Mreply 5407/27/2013

Movie expands to Chicago, San Francisco, and DC next week.

by Mreply 5507/27/2013

I'm beginning to think I don't want a 4th Oscar. As it is now I have three Oscars and 4 children. If it stays this way I can leave one to each of the kids except for Mamie "for reasons which are well-known to her"

by Mreply 5607/27/2013

There isn't a single original idea in Blue Jasmine...why didn't Woody Allen just direct another version of Streetcar? It's absurd. As some critic wrote, Blanchett must have bound her tongue not to fall into a Southern dialect. There were moments I wanted to shout out, "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers!"

Blanchett wiped the floor with Charlie Rose, and thank God for it. He's an awful interviewer, continually interrupting his guests in order to pontificate his obvious observations. Fortunately, Blanchett was too intelligent for such nonsense and sidestepped him at every turn.

by Mreply 5707/27/2013

oh r57 why so bitter?

by Mreply 5807/27/2013

Did anyone else notice how scarily skinny Peter Saarsgard was in the movie? He looked awful, but at the same time too young for Cate's character.

by Mreply 5907/27/2013

Well, Cate on Charlie Rose sounds more interesting than this film. I will have to look it up.

by Mreply 6007/27/2013

Charly Rose is very annoying. I hate it when interviewers don't hear people out. Rude and condescending. Cate is an Aussie, they are being fed with a triple dose of confidence with their breast milk. Does not show up in her acting though, she is a good actress but not really an outstanding one.

by Mreply 6107/28/2013

Is Cate gay? I know she's married, but I also know I'm not the only 1 whose been wondering for several years why she just seems so gay (maybe its just wishful thinking).

*waits for someone to post the many candid pics of Cate wearing men's baggy suits*

by Mreply 6207/28/2013

Take it to L Chat r62.

by Mreply 6307/28/2013

R63 oh hell the fuck no!

Doesn't anyone here have any gossip about her?

by Mreply 6407/28/2013

[quote]Did anyone else notice how scarily skinny Peter Saarsgard was in the movie

He looked normal to me. You may have attended a fat theatre.

by Mreply 6507/28/2013

Peter is married to that troll doll Maggie Gyllenhaal. Maybe he's gay and being in the closet is stressing him out to point of being unable to eat normally. Or maybe it's just that her face forever causes him to lose his appetite.

by Mreply 6607/28/2013

[quote]Sandra Bullock, Natalie Portman, J Law all gave weaker performances than Goop. Most Oscars wins are undeserving unfortunately - all HW politics, not really based on the quality of a performance.

Do you know who I am?

by Mreply 6707/28/2013

R59.....no and no, to both your inane questions/observations.

by Mreply 6807/28/2013

R67 Oh I forgot to put drunk pimp mom Witherwitch on that list of undeserving Oscar winners.

by Mreply 6907/28/2013

I feel the same way, R62

by Mreply 7007/28/2013

Goop fuckin sucked in shakespeare in love. she was NOTHING. better than portman, lawrence, even bullock, MY FUCKIN ASS she was

by Mreply 7107/28/2013

Fernanda Montenegro later complained that the Oscars reward commercial success, not artistic success.

by Mreply 7207/28/2013

Fernanda Montenegro did the best performance out of who was nominated that year. Blanchett sucked in Elizabeth too, I don't understand people who like her and they bust out with she's "beautiful", yuck, god no, and she doesnt have half the talent tilda has. blanchett has portmans supporting oscar too btw, or sophie okonedo's, or someones

by Mreply 7307/28/2013

R71 Lawrence is very overrated, she could never pull a performance like Goop did in Hard Eight, Sliding Doors, Proof or Shakespeare. Bullock is pretty mediocre too. Portman is mostly overacting. She was just try hard in Black Swan, not subtle, not human, not grounded, just over hype.

by Mreply 7407/28/2013

Can you imagine Gwyneth Paltrow in Winter's Bone? Ha! Paltrow isn't a tenth of the actress that Jennifer Lawrence is.

by Mreply 7507/28/2013

J. Lawrence is the most ridiculous Oscar win in the last years. She lacks range, maturity, acting tools. She is the it girl of the moment,a pretty face, like Emma Stone. Even Cooper acted circles around her. Her performance in Winters Bone was nothing special. Give her 5 years and she will be forgotten.

by Mreply 7607/28/2013

Goop was terrific in SIL. Utterly charming. Was it a best actress performance? I don't know. But Bullock and Portman especially were worse Oscar-winning performances. Portman especially - what a joke.

For that matter, Taylor in Butterfield 8 was worse than Goop.

by Mreply 7707/28/2013

I'm kind of hoping Streep isn't even nominated for AOC. I'm tired of the whole "show up for work, get a nomination" thing with her. Hopefully Hollywood is, too.

by Mreply 7807/28/2013

[quote]Her performance in Winters Bone was nothing special. Give her 5 years and she will be forgotten.

Sorry but someone in Hunger Games will not be forgotten quickly. Like the cast of Twatlight she's bought herself at least another 5 years.

That's one of the coolest and unique things about her - what other young star has been able to jump between franchises and prestige Oscar shit?

by Mreply 7907/29/2013

R70 she even dresses like that at the airport

Ewwwww

by Mreply 8007/29/2013

Don't understand the Jennifer Lawrence love either. Totally uninteresting in every way.

by Mreply 8107/30/2013

R79 SLP shouldn't have been nominated for anything, well maybe a GG or two, because those are meaningless. Lawrence went completely mainstream after Winter's Bone, but she had Weinstein on her side. Nothing she's been in post Winter's Bone was indie, not even SLP.

Gwyneth Paltrow is a competent actress, but if the posters defending her in this thread are same ones defending her in the thread about her supposed move to LA, then beware.

by Mreply 8207/31/2013

R78 She had a year off so most likely will be back next year, she sometimes gets back to back nods but her average is one every 2 years.

What this says about the overall quality of actresses is anyone's guess, but Miss Streep must have to keep topping herself or show something new like another accent to have accrued all that recognition. Truly remarkable.

by Mreply 8308/01/2013

I'm also suffering Streep fatigue. Yes, she's brilliant, but I'm tired of everybody constantly sucking her clit. IRON LADY was nothing special adjusted for what she's capable of, but sure, have another Oscar.

by Mreply 8408/01/2013

M, honey, you've become a hack, the female equivalent of De Niro, chewing scenery and doing your precious accents and facial tics through substandard dreck. Do you really need a paycheck that badly?

by Mreply 8508/01/2013

Dear God, yes.

I saw "Blue Jasmine" yesterday. The film is very good, but Blanchett is superb. Fantastically good.

by Mreply 8608/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.