Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Taoists say in doing nothing everything is done.

by Anonymousreply 907/25/2013

If you do not know the answer, you will never know it.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

I guess you're right, Op.

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

"Message Body is Mandatory"

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

If you have reached the stage where you have done everything, then there is nothing left to do - you have touched and been touched by all, and thus have become one with the Universe.

Eastern religions... Just as baseless and useless as Western ones.

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

OP, it's the concept of wu wei, non-doing. The phrase in the Tao Te Ching is "Wei wu wei," "do non-doing," not "do nothing":

"Do non-doing and nothing will remain undone."

I know that sounds as if I'm splitting hairs, but it's really an important distinction. If you practice non-doing -- that state of being completely natural, unforced, uncontrived, flowing with the way the universe makes things unfold -- then nothing that needs to happen will remain incomplete, because everything will happen as it ought to.

Sometimes it's not acting when everything in you itches to take action and control the situation. Sometimes it's taking action when the world seems to be sitting in front of the television: it's listening to your heart, to the universe, to what is needed most at this time, and following along effortlessly and naturally.

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2013

Yay R5!

by Anonymousreply 607/25/2013

And it's bullshit. Instincts can be wrong. Or does the universe get off on people being wrong?

by Anonymousreply 707/25/2013

Buddha ripped off some of this for his teaching, according the Richard Gere documentary.

Taoists want balance, and it's not something any westerners understand.

by Anonymousreply 807/25/2013

It's understood. It's rejected because it was understood. This "lesson" is just an extension of "everything happens for a reason". People should stop rationalizing the bad things that happen to them.

by Anonymousreply 907/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!