Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jimmy Carter on the US POLICE STATE

"America does not have a functioning democracy at this point in time," former President Jimmy Carter (shown) said this week, according to a report in the German newspaper Der Spiegel. Carter was quoted as having made that remark at a closed-door meeting of Atlantic Bridge, a research and education organization supporting cooperation between the United States and Great Britain on political, economic, and defense issues. The former president reportedly said the National Security Agency's invasion of privacy has gone too far, as he defended that actions of Edward Snowden, the American now seeking asylum in Russia after leaking classified documents revealing the massive NSA interception of communications between citizens and among government officials worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2014

This deserves a bump.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

Link?

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

The last great US president, IMHO. He always had integrity.

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

He really was the greatest president of my lifetime. If you ever want to piss a Libertarian or Republican off, tell them that Jimmy was the most Libertarian President America has ever had.

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

It all depends on your viewpoint.

The Misery Index (Inflation + Unemployment)was 12.7% when he took office and 19.7% when he left office. That's the highest of any president starting with Truman.

I guess he was OK if you don't care about the economy or whether Americans are taken hostage

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2013

R5, he appointed Paul Volcker as head of the Fed. He warned him that the changes he was making were going to hurt for a few years and then things would improve. Jimmy went ahead and did it anyway. Things did miraculously turn around. Under Reagan. Who kept Paul Volcker as head of the Fed.

And we all know the story about the hostages and how "Reagan freed them" which was also total bullshit. History will revere Jimmy Carter as one of the greats. Shame he won't be around to see it. He also told the Trilateral Commission to go fuck itself which is where most of his bad press comes from.

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2013

He'll live forever.

Only the good die young and he is the worst

by Anonymousreply 707/24/2013

And what happened in the late 70's that stuck the US in combined crisis of unemployment and inflation?

Oh, right. The Vietnam war.

Wingnuts are just jealous that Carter couldn't be tried as a war criminal.

by Anonymousreply 807/24/2013

Carter made all of the hard choices and Reagan reaped all of the benefits.

by Anonymousreply 1007/24/2013

The only lasting peace in the middle east was brokered by Carter. He was a great president and he's a great man. Deal with it or back up your aspersions

by Anonymousreply 1107/24/2013

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 1207/24/2013

[quote]He really was the greatest president of my lifetime. If you ever want to piss a Libertarian or Republican off, tell them that Jimmy was the most Libertarian President America has ever had.

No, he is the last decent president we've had. His appointment of Volker is a highlight.

If the CIA hadn't sabatoged him to get Bush elected (oh, wait, most people believe that Reagan was the prez, ignoring the power behind the throne) he would've won in 1980.

Libertarian? Not so much, but far better than the fascist we have now. Hell, Clinton looks libertarian compared to Obama.

by Anonymousreply 1307/24/2013

R13, why didn't the CIA ensure that Bush had two terms instead of one?

by Anonymousreply 1407/24/2013

R14-

Look at Clinton's "rise to power" and how it echoes Obama. Now look at the companies, NGOs and foundations they worked for and trace them back to The Company.

Clinton was a good Company boy, as is Obama.

Once you start "down the rabbit hole" and closely examine US history since the 1960s - especially regarding The Company- you will see that Carter is the only anomaly.

Isn't it funny that he's the only ex-prez that has spoken out about the CIA and Military Industrial Congressional complex.

by Anonymousreply 1507/24/2013

I always respected President Carter, until he said the Zimmerman verdict was correct. There was NOTHING correct about it.

by Anonymousreply 1707/24/2013

[quote]Clinton was a good Company boy, as is Obama.

LOL.... I do so love your conspiracy theories, so devoid of anything resembling reality. Tell us again how the number of links that result from a Google search of Bank of Hawaii and CIA absolutely "proves" it's a CIA front!

by Anonymousreply 1807/24/2013

R5 is an extremely ignorant and misinformed fool.

by Anonymousreply 1907/24/2013

He is saying whatever he wants now, like Joni Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 2007/24/2013

R15, that still doesn't answer why the CIA did not ensure a second term for Bush.

by Anonymousreply 2207/24/2013

Carter was a fiscal conservative. He helped the economy...Reagan reaped the rewards.

Reagan killed workers rights and our wages. I will go to my death hating Reagan, knowing that he is actually the worst thing that has ever happened to this country, even worse then the Civil War.

by Anonymousreply 2307/24/2013

The military corporations had to get Carter out of office, therefore they set about with the supposed Iranian kidnapping of Americans...Americans were responsible for the kidnapping of Americans.

by Anonymousreply 2407/24/2013

R16-

Volker raised interest rates to the point that 30 year fixed conforming home loans were over 15%/yr...with great credit scores.

How is that anything like Bernanke keeping them at near zero?

by Anonymousreply 2507/24/2013

And yet R18 is unable to provide any counterpoint. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 2607/24/2013

Maybe Carter would have stood a better chance had Kennedy not decided to run and split the party in half.

by Anonymousreply 2707/24/2013

[quote] America does not have a functioning democracy at this point in time

We're not a democracy. We're a republic

by Anonymousreply 2807/24/2013

He wasn't my favorite President, but I remember how he flat-out told the military to forget the B-1 bomber and a bunch of other high dollar programs, and how they acted like he pissed in their Wheaties about it. (Naturally they all their toys anyway when Reagan was elected.)

He was also the only President who had the courage to tell us that our energy policy (actually the fact that we didn't have one) was leading us to disaster, and I enjoyed how Big Oil reacted to that, too.

We can argue about Volker, but to me his policies were akin to cutting off the patient's head to cure his cold. He destroyed the inflationary spiral, but his policies destroyed a huge portion of America's manufacturing base in the process. Maybe it was the only way, but Jesus, it came at a high price.

by Anonymousreply 2907/24/2013

R28-

We WERE a republic. Now we are an oligarchy with a nominal 2 party system.

Big corporations and banks run the country, but the propaganda networks keep most morons thinking there is any difference between the major parties.

Lincoln destroyed the republic. Wilson drove in the knife with the Federal Reserve and WW1.

by Anonymousreply 3007/24/2013

R29-

Blame Nixon- if he hadn't cut the link between the dollar and gold, none of this would've happened.

by Anonymousreply 3107/24/2013

Jimmy Carter is too good a man for the presidency.

He is one of the great men of history.

Someone posted recently that they thought President Obama was briefed/debriefed when he became POTUS. That the intelligence/threats(?) changed everything about his(& all future ?) administration(s).... Absolutely NOTHING would surprise me @ the world we now live in.

by Anonymousreply 3207/24/2013

"Something is going on here."

Such as, R32?

by Anonymousreply 3307/24/2013

R32-

If that were true (and I have no doubt there are many things the government has kept from the people) can you justify it?

Carter has proven to be the only moral, upstanding president in the last 100 years. Coolidge is the only other contender.

by Anonymousreply 3407/24/2013

R18

[quote]LOL.... I do so love your conspiracy theories, so devoid of anything resembling reality. Tell us again how the number of links that result from a Google search of Bank of Hawaii and CIA absolutely "proves" it's a CIA front!

I love how fact-free your posts are. It's amusing.

The BoHawaii was a known front for The Company decades before Obama was elected, just like the Ford Foundation and Rhodes Scholar endowment. Your denial of facts is sad.

by Anonymousreply 3507/24/2013

Obama's America.

by Anonymousreply 3607/24/2013

He's an antisemite, who let the religious Right into the White House.

by Anonymousreply 3707/24/2013

R37-

WTF!?!

by Anonymousreply 3807/25/2013

[quote]why didn't the CIA ensure that Bush had two terms instead of one?

They didn't have a crisis like the Iran hostage situation that they could manipulate in a way that affected electoral politics. They had a better hand to play in 1980 than in 1992. If by 'better' you mean more obvious.

by Anonymousreply 3907/25/2013

I think what R13 was alluding to was that the CIA got Reagan elected knowing he was but a figurehead and that Poppy Bush was the real power from 1988 through 1992 when you court his own administration. We know that Reagan was just an actor and had little knowledge or ability to govern. Reagan was really an amalgamation of Regan, Baker, Deaver, Bush the elder, and Nancy, with a supporting role by Dick Cheney. I don't think Poppy much liked Cheney, and since Darth Cheney was all up in the military/industrial complex, it isn't surprising that Poppy lost the election... that and Ross Perot really fucked him. Hey, maybe Perot was on Cheney's payroll like bin Laden was! You do know about Halliburton's $2 billion liability in the WTC, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 4007/25/2013

Obama does have a lot of Carter's problems, such as being a Washington outsider with bad advisors. Carter does have integrity, but that doesn't necessarily make a good leader. As pointed out, we wouldn't have had Reagan if Carter hadn't failed so miserably.

by Anonymousreply 4107/25/2013

The era of nation-states is over. Welcome to the [redacted]!

by Anonymousreply 4207/25/2013

R23:

Carter invoked Taft Hartely, the worst anti-labor law on the books, against the coal miners, ordering them back to work. When the bosses saw there was no united response from the working class when faced with union busting, they knew what to do.

Reagan came into office and used the federal government to bust PATCO, knowing that there was no chance of a general strike. The bosses saw the White House had their backs, and the assault on working people went full force.

Carter provided the test run, Reagan followed it up. With unions tamed, the one percent could start dismantling social benefits, attacking the safety net, and destroying wage and working conditions. The labor/management detent that went back to WW II was over. It was all out war against working people.

Clinton went further. NAFTA gave corporations free rein to chase lower labor costs around the world, pitting every country and every state in the union in a race to the bottom for working people.

Clinton admitted that it would help corporations, how could he deny it? That was the point. He promised to protect labor, here and abroad, promises that were discarded as soon as it was passed.

Clinton broke the welfare system, the federal commitment to ease poverty, forcing recipients to starve or work, no matter what bullshit jobs were available, no matter what the employment rate, dragging down wages and conditions for everyone.

Now Obama is working with the Republicans to slash social security benefits and raise the retirement age. He approves of breaking teachers' unions. He has attacked civil liberties, freedom of the press, and extended presidential power attacks to an extent that would have outraged progressives if Bush had done it. He calls himself a moderate Republican.

And here we are. Impoverished after 35 years of a transfer of wealth to the ruling class, the greatest transfer of wealth in the history of the world. Civil liberties not imperiled but gone, and every single social benefit from the post office to the park system slashed or under attack.

Both parties are complicit. Anyone think Hillary will reverse course? Got a bridge to sell you.

What would be different if the Koch brothers and the Waltons were declared rulers for life?

by Anonymousreply 4307/25/2013

[quote]And yet [R18] is unable to provide any counterpoint. Sad.

Um, "counterpoint" to what, R26? Loony conspiracy theories that don't have any data to support them? No "counterpoint" is required.

by Anonymousreply 4407/25/2013

[quote]I love how fact-free your posts are. It's amusing.

ROFL.... Right back at you, sweetheart.

[quote]The BoHawaii was a known front for The Company decades before Obama was elected

Really? "Known" by whom? And what data were they using to reach that conclusion? The last time I asked, your "proof" consisted of telling me to count the Google links that resulted from a search for Bank of Hawaii and CIA, a hilariously stupid comment.

[quote]just like the Ford Foundation and Rhodes Scholar endowment. Your denial of facts is sad.

ROFL.... You wouldn't know a "fact" if it walked up to you and bit you in the ass. I will simply note that, again, you have no data and no evidence.

by Anonymousreply 4507/25/2013

R26 has a point, and r18 does not, evidently.

by Anonymousreply 4607/25/2013

And what "point" is that? That we're supposed to take unsupported, loony conspiracy theories seriously without any data to back them up?

by Anonymousreply 4707/25/2013

Good point, r47!

by Anonymousreply 4807/25/2013

R43, deserves its own thread.

by Anonymousreply 4904/06/2014

We would certainly be in better shape now, if Carter were re-elected, r50.

by Anonymousreply 5104/06/2014

carter was one of the people who brought about this current state of affairs. He hired Paul Volcker, the military reached its highest ever employment under him (2 million).

by Anonymousreply 5204/06/2014

Did Jimmy attribute the non-functioning Democracy at the feet of Obama?

by Anonymousreply 5304/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.