Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Way, Way Back

Best movie of the summer for me. Such a feel good experience. I nominate Sam Rockwell for an Oscar. I want to see Toni Collette in more movies. Anyone else see it?

by Anonymousreply 5407/06/2014

Saw an early screening of it a few months ago, and absolutely loved it. And I hate Steve Carell. But even he was good (in a non-comedic role).

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

Is Jim Rash one of the gays? (did he post this?)

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

I want Liam James inside of me. Loved all the shots of his feet in flip flops.

by Anonymousreply 408/04/2013

Very enjoyable with excellent performances and a decent (if not particularly fresh) script. Perfect movie for a summer night.

by Anonymousreply 508/04/2013

Is Jim Rash one of us gays? He's cute in a way.

by Anonymousreply 608/04/2013

There is all ready a thread on this topic op. I wanted to love it, but didn't. I loved parts of it but the water park shit got on my last nerve. Sam Rockwell good? I wanted to punch is face in the whole movie. So freaking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 708/04/2013

Is Toni skinny in this movie?

by Anonymousreply 808/04/2013

She's gaunt.

by Anonymousreply 908/04/2013

I love Sam Rockwell; he and Clooney made a good and interesting couple. Too bad they broke up. Anyone want to start a thread on Sam?

by Anonymousreply 1008/04/2013

"all ready"

Oh Dear.

by Anonymousreply 1108/05/2013

Best Movie of 2013!

by Anonymousreply 1208/05/2013

Hey queenfaced reply 11, you are capitalizing "Dear"? Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 1308/05/2013

So, Rash and Faxon wrote it. Duncan is an obvious "Mary Sue" for one of the writers. I suppose Rockwell's character is the Mary Sue for the other one. Liam James and Steve Carell did very good work with a script that was unimpressive. Allison Janney was uncharacteristically chewing scenery.

The script seemed so contrived. Also, it seemed obvious to me that it originally was written as a 1970s period piece and then for some reason (probably money) was re-set in current times. The old Buick station wagon was pivotal, of course, but there were other details, such as the ancient (yet strangely mint condition) cooler that was in several scenes, the 40-year-old banana seat bike in mysteriously ride-able condition, and the scene wherein the family sits down for a game of "Candyland" (?!) that also was 1970s vintage. Those items all feature prominently and are from the 1970s, but yet the movie is set in a time period recent enough so that the protagonist is observed listening to an iPod (singing along to a song from 1984).

by Anonymousreply 1408/05/2013

What's a mary sue?

by Anonymousreply 1508/05/2013

I really enjoyed it. I loved the character of the guy who played the waterpark worker. I loved how he casually mentioned that he had two dads.

by Anonymousreply 1608/05/2013

R16- he was a co-director of the movie too!

by Anonymousreply 1708/06/2013

I really enjoyed this movie. Pleasantly surprised.

by Anonymousreply 1908/06/2013

What the fuck happened to Toni Collette's face?

by Anonymousreply 2008/06/2013

Toni got skinny. I thought she was still rather attractive in The United States of Tara.

by Anonymousreply 2108/06/2013

I'll Netflix it.

by Anonymousreply 2209/16/2013

r20 I don't think her face has changed that much, it's the mop on her head that makes her look awful.

by Anonymousreply 2309/16/2013

Recently caught this movie on HBO and holy shit was it bad. Seriously, The Way, Way Back was essentially Little Miss Sunshine, Adventureland, and Ordinary People rolled up into a way too familiar film. I was especially turned off by the fact that the protagonist was a little asshole with zero redeeming qualities whatsoever...

by Anonymousreply 2404/30/2014

[quote]Rockwell will get a Supporting Actor Oscar nod, even though it's far from his best work.

Great work, Jeane Dixon at R1.

by Anonymousreply 2504/30/2014

What a bunch of dizzy jaded queens on this thread! I guess watching the high quality Bravo shows has spoiled them for something that comes along that is well written, well acted, and genuinely funny.

I hate Steve Carrell but he was good in this. There are people just like him. My mom dated a guy EXACTLY like him only he also drank.

This is an original movie. It is NOT Miss Sunshine.

Also, the "details" troll needs to give it a rest. A summer cottage could easily have old games lying around from long ago; also, I have seen those banana bikes in resort areas and beach areas--I've seen them in Venice, CA. recently.

The Way Way Back is a WAY funny movie that makes you feel good. Sam Rockwell should have been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 2604/30/2014

I never heard of this movie until my sister called me raving about how great it was. I thought it was ok. How did it do at the BO?

by Anonymousreply 2704/30/2014

I loved this movie, one of my favorites of 2013. Sam Rockwell and Allison Janney were fantastic, and I liked young Liam James as well. (Although not quite as much as Bryan Singer at R4.)

by Anonymousreply 2804/30/2014

I thought it was a really good movie. Much better than Adventureland. I saw the Kings of Summer and the Way, Way Back in the theater, and was impressed. I guess the US just doesn't like these types of movies that make you think and realize that everyone isn't living the American dream.

by Anonymousreply 2904/30/2014

r4 is right; feets people will applaud this film for the fact that when the teenage protagonist is depressed and uptight, he wears only sneakers, but once he becomes liberated, free, and happy, he switches to flip-flops.

by Anonymousreply 3004/30/2014

Nothing happened. Sam Rockwell and the rest of the water park workers were at least 20 years too old. It was pathetic and weird.

by Anonymousreply 3105/12/2014

There was an odd pedophile-ish vibe to the Rockwell character.

by Anonymousreply 3205/12/2014

How much of Sam's dick do we get to see in this movie?

by Anonymousreply 3305/12/2014

Zero percent of Sam's dick, R33.

I was bored to tears by The Way Way Back, which surprised me a bit, since so many people I trust the opinions of really loved it. I think for 40-somethings who grew up like this in the 1970s, it's feel-good and sentimental, but the rest of us have trouble relating. Also, the awkward young teen summer romance, the so-called "selfish" mom who dares to date after her divorce, the asshole boyfriend/stepdad, the underachieving but good-hearted father figure are all dated stereotypes.

Some of it was funny, and Carrell was surprisingly terrific while Rockwell gave a good performance. But I'm completely and entirely done with Maya Rudolph, who adds nothing to any film she's in, except irritation.

by Anonymousreply 3405/12/2014

Finally watched this tonight - Loved it. No, not an Oscar-winner, but strong performances by a number of lead and supporting actors. And enjoyable script.

Yes, some of the details may have been off, and I wouldn't argue that the story was a little predictable, but that didn't take away from my enjoyment.

by Anonymousreply 3507/05/2014

Spoiler alert for those who haven't seen it, will see it, and care about being spoiled.

At the end of the movie, the Sam Rockwell character and the Liam James character go down the tube together, switching places. I don't know how exactly this work, but it seems to me that it would involve a lot of body contact. Is this meant to be a homoerotic moment, some creepy coming of age ritual, or do I just have a dirty mind?

by Anonymousreply 3607/05/2014

You have a dirty mind. Stupid, boring movie with mediocre performances. Sorry, but Sam Rockwell is not happening nor will be ever happen.

And Toni Collette is painful to look at.

Total piece of crap movie in the sobbing teenager tradition which unfortunately seems to be competing with guys in spandex for dominance at the multiplex.

by Anonymousreply 3707/05/2014

This was much better than The Desendents.

by Anonymousreply 3807/05/2014

Wow. It was such a feel good movie for me. I can't believe people not liking it. And I love Maya Rudolph.

by Anonymousreply 3907/05/2014

R38 that is not saying a lot. Boring Alexander Payne Plus Boring George Clooney equals most boring movie Evah Plus it introduced boring ass whatshername. That movie should be euthanised.

by Anonymousreply 4007/05/2014

I enjoyed it for what it was. Reminded me of an updated "Meatballs."

For r14:

[quote]The film was originally supposed to take place in 1984, but was moved into the present due to budgetary constraints. Owen's comment about how the water park "hasn't been upgraded since 1983" and Duncan's REO Speedwagon sing-along are both references to this fact.

by Anonymousreply 4107/05/2014

They wasted some top actors on a terrible movie.

by Anonymousreply 4207/05/2014

[all posts by racist flame-bait shit-stain removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4307/05/2014

by Anonymousreply 4407/05/2014

I liked it, but as an indie film fan, I felt like I'd seen this story before, and told better. The lead kid isn't much of an actor, but Sam Rockwell is great, as usual. Carrell plays against type well, and Toni Collete is always good.

by Anonymousreply 4507/05/2014

R41 is right. Rockwell was aping Murray in Meatballs for most of the film. The main kid had a definite underdog "Rudy the Rabbit" vibe too.

by Anonymousreply 4607/05/2014

by Anonymousreply 4707/05/2014

[quote]Wow. It was such a feel good movie for me. I can't believe people not liking it.

I feel the same way OP. It makes me wonder what movies are enjoyed by the people who hate this. Do we just have different tastes altogether, or just a difference of opinion on this one?

by Anonymousreply 4807/05/2014

[quote]and Toni Collete is always good.

She was terrible in Hostages and she made such ugly faces I honestly couldn't look at her.

by Anonymousreply 4907/05/2014

I hated this movie. Examples of feel good coming of age movies I actually liked:

My Girl

Little Darlings

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Little Miss Sunshine

by Anonymousreply 5007/05/2014

Not the best Rockwell, but servicable. The best still is his work with Paul Giametti, Mark Ruffalo, Peter Dinklage in Safe Men.

Best film of the summer is Grand Budapest Hotel at a theater still showing it in this season. "Darling, I sleep with all my friends!"

by Anonymousreply 5107/05/2014

Have we ever figured out which team Rockwell plays for?

by Anonymousreply 5207/05/2014

Sam Rockwell was amazing in Moon and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind but lately he has chosen some bad movies. A single Shot was pretty bad too. Love Toni Colette and can't wait to see Carell in Foxcatcatcher.

by Anonymousreply 5307/05/2014

This wasn't a great movie but it was enjoyable enough. It needed a bigger dose of reality to seem like more than Faxon and Rash idealising their youth. More reality about the potential for dead ends in seaside life and more dimension to the Rockwell character who could've been more burned out and affected by the relationship with James rather than seeming like a beatific water park Jesus. Agree with the previous poster who said everyone at the water park was way, way too old to be completely, erm, amusing. Though the cast is familiar and engaging it kind of seems like Faxon and Rash only know actors of a certain age - where are the actors in their 20s who should be playing these roles?

As it is, The Way, Way Back primarily plays like Dirty Dancing for young boys - and young gay boys can enjoy the homoerotic subtext between Rockwell, James and Faxon (who always looks like he's game for anything).

Carrell is good in an underwritten role but he's no DeNiro in This Boy's Life. Collette is good but this role plays against the natural intelligence and strength she projects as an actress; the role is better suited to other actresses. Allison Janney shows up for work, always a good thing, has a particular gusto here - likely because she's given so much exposition in her first scene (before she completely recedes to the way, way background) she has little choice but to power through it. It was really disappointing to realise five minutes after the nearly talent-free Amanda Peet made her appearance that she wouldn't be a victim of a shark attack and/or a school of piranhas but you can't have everything.

If The Way, Way Back had dug way, way deeper it might've been more than a trite, sentimental circle jerk. (They don't even get the final goodbye moment quite right but you can see them trying. Hard.) But the journey is so familiar - in fact, if it had been slightly tweaked in the other direction it could almost be a parody of this genre - it's easy enough to follow along, fill in the blanks and imagine how much Faxon and Rash's friends must like them to rise to the challenge of acting out some of this hackneyed material (with particular honours to Rockwell and Collette for minimising their talents to suit this material).

I still wept but I always weep when there's father/son issues. Enjoyable but no masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 5407/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!