Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

They're re-making "Poltergeist"

With Rosemarie DeWitt of "Mad Men" in the JoBeth Williams role.

"The swimming pool... the swimming pool, [italic]theswimmingpool,[/italic] MY GOD, SHE'S IN THE SWIMMING POOL!"

by Anonymousreply 9904/29/2015

The original movie was plenty good on its own. It doesn't need to be remade at all.

by Anonymousreply 107/23/2013

The original was, at its core, a criticism of yuppie Reaganite culture. Now that the middle class has disappeared, who would the target of criticism be?

by Anonymousreply 207/23/2013

I agree. There is no reason to remake this movie.

by Anonymousreply 307/23/2013

What would Tangina say?

by Anonymousreply 407/23/2013

I love Rosemary! Good to see her with a leading role.

by Anonymousreply 507/23/2013

Rosemarie's husband is Ron Livingston. Remember when he threw a fit about someone writing that he's gay on his Wikipedia page?

by Anonymousreply 607/23/2013

More info

by Anonymousreply 707/23/2013

Sacrilege!!!!

Poltergeist is one of the great horror films of the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 807/23/2013

[quote]What would Tangina say?

There is no death. It is only a transition to a different sphere of consciousness.

Carol Anne is not like those she is with. She is a living presence in their spiritual, earthbound plane.

They’re attracted to the one thing about her that is different from themselves - her life force. It’s very strong. It gives off its own illumination. It is a light that implies life, and memories of love, and home, and earthly pleasures - something they desperately desire but can’t have anymore.

Right now she’s the closest thing to that, and that is a terrible distraction from the real light that has finally come for them.

These souls who for whatever reason are not at rest are also not aware that they have passed on. They’re not part of consciousness as we know it. They linger in a perpetual dream state – a nightmare from which they cannot awake.

Inside this spectral light is salvation - a window to the next plane. They must pass through this membrane where friends are waiting to guide them to new destinies. Carol Ann must help them cross over, and she will only hear her mother’s voice.

Now, hold onto yourselves. There is one more thing.

A terrible presence is in there with her. So much rage, so much betrayal. I’ve never sensed anything like it.

I don’t know what hovers over this house, but it was strong enough to punch a hole into this world and take your daughter away from you. It keeps Carol Ann very close to it, and away from the spectral light.

It lies to her. It says things only a child can understand. It has been using her to restrain the others.

To her it simply is another child. To us it is The Beast.

by Anonymousreply 907/23/2013

Is it a remake or a sequel? The article says "new installment" which sounds more like a sequel.

Horrible idea in either case.

by Anonymousreply 1007/23/2013

Who is Tangina? Also, which character does Rosemary DeWitt play on "Mad Men?"

by Anonymousreply 1107/23/2013

May the Poltergeist curse live on.

by Anonymousreply 1207/23/2013

When I went to see the third Poltergeist movie the audience began calling out random names from the film because that was essentially the script for the picture. It was hilarious.

But how could anyone not tell that Heather O'Roarke was seriously ill? She looked terrible in the film and too old to still be in footie pajamas.

by Anonymousreply 1307/23/2013

R9 doesn't get it

by Anonymousreply 1507/23/2013

R9, did you MEMORIZE that? I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 1607/23/2013

R16 lol, NO it's not!

by Anonymousreply 1707/23/2013

Tangina, when you clean the house, you have to move the TV. If you can't do something right, don't do it at all!

by Anonymousreply 1807/23/2013

OMG Charla from The Amazing Race needs to be Tangina..

by Anonymousreply 1907/23/2013

R17, tee hee! Make me a sandwich! Tee hee!

by Anonymousreply 2007/23/2013

Did you notice that Tagina didn't make the Oscar obits when she died. I was quite shocked as there had been Oscar buzz before she began claiming she was inside E.T.

by Anonymousreply 2107/23/2013

R11 - She played Midge, Don's mistress in season 1.

by Anonymousreply 2207/23/2013

Carol Anne will be sucked in by her Ipad

by Anonymousreply 2307/23/2013

I remember watching Poltergeist on New Years Eve when I was 10 years old with my parents. The movie scared the sh!t out of me. It was terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 2407/24/2013

Cross over children.

All are welcome. All welcome.

Go into the light. There is peace and serenity in the light.

by Anonymousreply 2507/24/2013

I want Tom Cruise to play Tangina. They can put him on high heels to make him look taller.

by Anonymousreply 2607/24/2013

I'm buying the role of Carol Anne for my beautiful daughter, Willow.

by Anonymousreply 2707/24/2013

Now clear your minds.

It knows what scares you. It has from the very beginning.

Don't give it any help.

It knows too much already.

by Anonymousreply 2807/26/2013

So many iconic moments in the trilogy, the moving meat full of maggots, the vomit monster, Carol Ann running around in her peignoir in the frozen mirror world, candle in hand....

by Anonymousreply 2907/26/2013

Just what we need - ANOTHER remake.

by Anonymousreply 3007/26/2013

[quote]So many iconic moments in the trilogy...

Lara Flynn Boyle wearing acid washed jeans and a denim jacket.

by Anonymousreply 3107/26/2013

They're remade fucking "Psycho." They might as well remake fucking everything.

by Anonymousreply 3207/26/2013

R8, it was more satire than horror. But fun.

by Anonymousreply 3307/26/2013

*YAWN*

by Anonymousreply 3407/26/2013

Is RoseMarie Joyce's daughter? Maybe Joyce could play Tangina!

by Anonymousreply 3507/26/2013

Why not just tell an entirely new tale. If it must be a "Poltergeist" film, maybe having somebody build a new house on the old site (like California is ever going to let a vacant lot sit for 30 years) or have some tenuous connection. Remaking it is silly.

The real key to the original was the rating. The story was good, the performances good but rating it PG just ensured the film had a young audience, children whose worst fears came to life on the screen. That was the real impact. This redo will be PG-13 or R and won't have that lasting impact.

by Anonymousreply 3607/26/2013

I HATE that they have remade this movie.

But I actually don't entirely hate the trailer for the new version.

by Anonymousreply 3702/05/2015

No Tangina???

by Anonymousreply 3802/05/2015

I'm with you R37, The original is a true classic, but dang, that trailer is scary.

by Anonymousreply 3902/05/2015

if they have a hot daddy like they did in the first one shirtless then I will go see it

by Anonymousreply 4002/05/2015

The trailer is like most horror movies released today, right down to the sparse piano music and ridiculous jump cuts. Hardly impressive.

The original had that early Spielberg touch to it. Some frightening moments to it that were balanced out with some comedic light touches. This looks to be lacking in that.

by Anonymousreply 4102/05/2015

JoBeth Williams really does some top notch acting in the original too.

And the unique performance by Tangina can never be replicated.

I think you are right r41 that this version will not even make an attempt at the charm or humor that the first one had. And this will likely become just another in the pile of unnecessary and soon forgotten horror remakes that we've been given in the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 4202/05/2015

The trailer is awful. Why is it no one can make scary movies anymore? The Conjuring,Insidious,Paranormal Activity...these movies are not scary.

by Anonymousreply 4302/05/2015

God is in His Holy TemPOOL. Earthly thoughts, be silent now.

YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE IN THERE!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4402/05/2015

The dad is played by Sam Rockwell. Maybe we'll get a nude scene when he jumps in the pool.

by Anonymousreply 4502/05/2015

Sam Rockwell is considered hot? For real?

by Anonymousreply 4602/05/2015

Kale-ann, KALE-ANN!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4702/05/2015

I am addressing the living!

by Anonymousreply 4802/05/2015

Not really, but the only thing that could save this movie is a halfway decent looking naked man.

by Anonymousreply 4902/05/2015

Not if your on DL!

by Anonymousreply 5002/05/2015

I still don't get who Tagina is, and Google isn't helping.

by Anonymousreply 5102/05/2015

R51, enter Tangina

by Anonymousreply 5202/05/2015

You hoes are pretentious purists. This new SEQUEL can't be any worse than part 3 or that awful name-only tv series.

by Anonymousreply 5302/05/2015

That crooked stairway that cuts into the middle of the living room would suck.

by Anonymousreply 5402/05/2015

You bastard. You moved the cemetery but you left the bodies, didn't you?

You son-of-a-bitch, you left the bodies and you only moved the headstones!

You only moved the headstones!!!!

That isn't figured out until the last act of the movie. But in the new trailer it sounds like they give that plot point away.

by Anonymousreply 5502/06/2015

Isn't Rose Marie a little old for the part?

by Anonymousreply 5602/06/2015

The original never grabbed me and the remake looks even more bland. The original relied too much on special fx and I just never thought it was that scary. I was already an adult when I saw it, though. I can imagine toddlers shitting themselves when they saw that. Poltergeist does have that nice early Spielberg feel to it but there was always something missing for me.

by Anonymousreply 5702/06/2015

The thing that botherd me is that the bodies would always be discovered when they put in swimming pools. That was tough to get past. Otherwise, excellent.

As for the remake, they can't repeat the same surprise ending, I hope. That's too boring.

by Anonymousreply 5802/06/2015

Tangina sounds like vagina.

by Anonymousreply 5902/06/2015

r46 are you for real? Have you seen Sam Rockwell naked??? Hot to death

by Anonymousreply 6002/06/2015

[quote]The real key to the original was the rating. The story was good, the performances good but rating it PG just ensured the film had a young audience, children whose worst fears came to life on the screen. That was the real impact. This redo will be PG-13 or R and won't have that lasting impact.

This was the beginning of the PG-13 rating. Poltergeist should have been an R due the scares and face peeling but Spielberg had huge pull. There were lots of parents complaints who took small kids unsuspecting how scary it was. Then he did "Indiana Jones And The Temple of Doom and even more complaints so they implemented the PG-13.

by Anonymousreply 6102/06/2015

The second trailer makes more sense than the first one in R37.

by Anonymousreply 6202/06/2015

You're right r62, that is a better trailer.

It sure seems like they haven't done anything to mix-up the story. Thin-panel TVs seem like the only update.

Why is this remake necessary?

And is being in 3D a bigger selling point for this flick?

by Anonymousreply 6302/08/2015

3D and modern effects. Just saw the ad on imdb, very exciting. The trailer looks promising enough. I'll overdose on edibles and have a ball.

by Anonymousreply 6402/08/2015

{quote] The Conjuring,Insidious,Paranormal Activity...these movies are not scary.

I love all of those, old fogie. Well PA 3 anyway, not any other PA. Check the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, critics were shocked PA 3 was good. I haven't seen any in the theater, but would see the next one, I think coming out this Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 6502/08/2015

I hated that white tile a black grout.

by Anonymousreply 6602/08/2015

None of these remakes last in the public consciousness. In the last decade we'd have "Friday the 13th," "My Bloody Valentine," "The Amityville Horror" and "The Omen" remakes and save Ryan Reynolds in his low slung pajama bottoms in "Amityville," They've all been completely forgettable. poorly executed and nobody talks about them anymore whereas the originals are still benchmarks.

The remake of "Carrie" will go the same way.

This new "Poltergeist" seems to have all the same notes- the tree, the closet, the clown. What it doesn't look to have is the humanity. You can't replicate the warmth of both Jobeth Williams and Beatrice Straight.

by Anonymousreply 6702/08/2015

JoBeth WIlliams and Craig T Nelson created two of the most charismatic characters in movie history. You cannot manufacture their chemistry with each other and utter like-ability (Is this even a word)?

I still think JoBeth gave an Oscar nomination worthy performance.

In my opinion, a big part of the first film's charm was the production design. Spielberg, as much as I generally cannot stand him, had a real excellent touch with visually creating middle class idealism with both realism and beauty. In both ET and this film.

This new film basically looks like a cheap version of the first. The home in the first film, but exteriors and interiors really added something.

I love Rosemarie DeWitt and like Sam, and that is the only reason I have any interest.

by Anonymousreply 6802/08/2015

I meant "both" the interiors and exteriors really added something in the first film.. Basically, this new film looks cheap as shit.

by Anonymousreply 6902/08/2015

I agree, R68. Somehow, folding closet doors don't have the impact of a solid door.

by Anonymousreply 7002/08/2015

Jared Harris needs a better agent. And his matter-of-fact explanation as to what's going on lacks the spooky Tangina vibe.

by Anonymousreply 7102/08/2015

this could be redone well poltergeist staring the dad. bradley cooper the mom. lindsey lohan carol ann: the little girl from annie with big hair the brother: justice beaver older sister taylor swift the psychic. oprah next door neighbors: michael strahan and roomie dr. ian Special guest bruce jenner in his transitoned state with the pearls.

by Anonymousreply 7202/08/2015

I think the trailer is just a tease. It's enough of a taste, and I'm happy for the rest to remain shrouded.

by Anonymousreply 7302/08/2015

hahaha r72. i laughed so hard at ur post. u are obviously as handsome as you are brillant

by Anonymousreply 7402/08/2015

I'm surprised there haven't been any comments about the little girl being named "Madison". Or is it "Madysyn"?

by Anonymousreply 7502/08/2015

R65=Big pussy whose girlish shrieks will cause theatre goers to give her the beat down she thoroughly deserves.

by Anonymousreply 7602/08/2015

This looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 7702/08/2015

YOU CANNOT KEEP HER! I AM NOT DEAD!

by Anonymousreply 7802/08/2015

i disagree r67. friday the 13th had jared padalecki and tpyou can see him flexing and how built he was in the movie. this was when he was at his best built. and his roomie jenson ackles made my bloody valentine a camp classic around every valentines day. jenson plays a coal mine ownrs son who goes crazy and becomesa killer but doesnt know heis the killer. its great. you are a jealous sicko.

by Anonymousreply 7902/08/2015

Are you lost, sweetheart? Are you 'fraid, honey? Well, then, why don't you come with me!

by Anonymousreply 8002/08/2015

The trailer for the original film...

by Anonymousreply 8102/08/2015

I want Ma Petite from AHS to play Tangina. Do you think she'd be up for it?

by Anonymousreply 8202/08/2015

The things that made that Tangina speech so effective, R9, is that horrified look in JoBeth Williams' eyes and the way the Jerry Goldsmith music kept getting darker and darker and more evil-sounding as she spoke.

by Anonymousreply 8302/08/2015

Rosemary DeWitt is very good in the roles I have seen her in.

by Anonymousreply 8402/08/2015

TCM just played Poltergeist this afternoon as part of their salute to Oscar films. I recorded it mainly because this thread has made me want to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 8502/13/2015

they already remade it. it's called Insidious. almost same plot cept carol ann disappears, the little boy is comatose. they bring in a film crew with a lady. it's the male version of poltergeist

by Anonymousreply 8602/14/2015

Jo Beth Williams' character was really put through hell in Poltergeist, especially during the final scenes, it's relentless - this movie may not scare anyone today but it was (and is) pretty intense.

by Anonymousreply 8702/14/2015

Beautiful R9!

by Anonymousreply 8802/14/2015

I just watched the original last night. Nelson and Williams are good actors but this was not a great film. Maybe they can remake it into a better film than the first. Let's hope so.

by Anonymousreply 8902/14/2015

[quote]The original was, at its core, a criticism of yuppie Reaganite culture.

Link.

by Anonymousreply 9002/14/2015

I believe that there's an Indian living here with you?

by Anonymousreply 9102/14/2015

LET...me in!

by Anonymousreply 9202/14/2015

Because I'm smart...and I'm your friend...and I know what you are thinking. Now, let me in...and let's talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 9302/18/2015

Is this a good sign?

They have moved up the release date of the remake. It was going to be a late summer release on July 24th.

But this week they announced they are moving it up to a much higher profile pre-Memorial Day weekend. Now it will be out on May 22nd.

Would they do that if they didn't have expectations for the movie to do really well?

by Anonymousreply 9403/05/2015

The new TV spot uses a lot of imagery that is similar to scenes from the original.

Just 2 months until opening now that they moved up the date to May 22nd.

by Anonymousreply 9503/19/2015

The guy who played Rev. Kane was bisexual and quite a character in real life.

by Anonymousreply 9603/19/2015

Another new trailer that makes the movie seem even more similar to the original.

It feels like they are making no effort to set it apart with their marketing.

Only a month and a half until it's in theaters.

by Anonymousreply 9704/07/2015

And yet another new preview including some commentary from the Sam Raimi and the director.

Just a few more weeks now until it opens.

by Anonymousreply 9804/25/2015

I wonder what the budget is for the new movie.

Almost every studio horror movie has a sort of built-in audience because they always have good box office opening weekends. Especially when there hasn't been another scary movie in the theaters for a few months.

So Poltergeist should open with a minimum of $30M just because of those that go see every horror film. For many of the movies in the genre, that's already profitable because they are made for $10M or less.

But the familiarity of the title and the fact that it's opening near the start of the summer movie season means they have to be expecting it should do much, much better.

So I wonder how much it cost to make and how much money it has to make at the box office for them to consider it a success.

by Anonymousreply 9904/29/2015
Need more help? Click Here.