Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Larry The Cable Guy: People Should Mind Their Business On Gay Marriage

Larry The Cable Guy: People Should Mind Their Business On Gay Marriage

By On Top Magazine Staff; Published: July 23, 2013

Comedian Daniel Whitney, known by his stage character Larry the Cable Guy, believes people should mind their own business when it comes to gay marriage.

During an interview with Larry King, Whitney, 50, said that he was a "libertarian conservative."

"Leave me alone," King said, referring to the libertarian philosophy.

"Yeah, pretty much. Mind your own business," Whitney responded. "That's one thing I can't figure out about the country lately is, why can't people mind their own business?"

"Do you care if gays play football or get married?" King asked.

"You know I'm so sick of hearing about gay this, gay that. I could care less. It ain't affecting my life at all. Yeah, it gets so irritating."

"I wish people would … I don't know when we turned in to a nation of 3-year-old babies. But everything offends everybody, everything offends. We live in the free-est, greatest country in the world. That's why there's so many people bitching about stuff, because they got it too good in this country. Those other countries, you don't hear them bitching. You know why? Because they gotta go out and try to find something to eat. That's why."

"Live your life, leave other people alone, and just enjoy your life. Enjoy being an American, it's a great country. Why you gotta complain about everything?" (The video is embedded on this page. Visit our video library for more videos.)

by Anonymousreply 1607/23/2013

BREAKING NEWS: Southern redneck is a conservative!

by Anonymousreply 107/23/2013

Is he fer us, or agin' us?

by Anonymousreply 207/23/2013

He against us but trying to obscure the fact with populist platitudes and false equivilencies. He's an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 307/23/2013

Yep. My money is on the bitching people he's complaining about being the liberal fags --- but then he sugarcoats it all with a general "live and let live" commentary that suddenly turns him into a "libertarian."

by Anonymousreply 407/23/2013

I'm sure in private he would say 'fag this and fag that'. And he's so sick of hearing about it. Stick to shilling heartburn medicine asshole.

by Anonymousreply 507/23/2013

His whloe redneck shtick is an act, the accent the hunting bthe costume. All of it. Not saying that he isn't a douche, maybe the act makes him a bigger douche.

by Anonymousreply 707/23/2013

He seems fairly "live and let live" to me. I think that's how most non-evangelical nuts think, too. His ilk is not the enemy.

The enemy are the evangelicals.

by Anonymousreply 807/23/2013

It sounds to me like he's for us, but considering his fan base the way he explained his thinking is as far as he can realistically be expected to go in expressing his support for individual liberties. It was only a few years ago that the Supreme Court was deciding in our favor in the Lawrence vs. Texas case by viewing the issue in terms of "privacy rights."

Taking a position in favor of privacy is the way conservatives often express support for liberal issues like gay rights and abortion rights. I'd say he at least deserves the benefit of the doubt. We have to learn to live with and communicate with "rednecks" in order to evolve their thinking. The first step is identifying who is with us and who isn't.

by Anonymousreply 907/23/2013

He's not a redneck--it's an act. He's actually a highly educated man from Nebraska who made uber-millions off of his hilarious goofball act.

by Anonymousreply 1007/23/2013

Thanks to the poster who said, it's an act. But for that, I would have thought Larry the Cable Guy was actually getting slightly jealous/resentful of all the attention being paid to gay marriages and thus, gays.

by Anonymousreply 1107/23/2013

Larry is as much a redneck as Bowzer is a greaser from the 50's.

by Anonymousreply 1207/23/2013

He's all talk, no substance. His whole life is an act. He doesn't say, for example, "All people should have the same rights so we can just live and let live." We're just supposed to shut up and not bother his fake ass with requests for civil rights. Sorry to have offended Fake Larry's delicate sensibilities. Maybe we should give him smelling salts before he gets the vapors.

by Anonymousreply 1307/23/2013

He played golf last weekend at the Century celebrity tournament. He is very funny, he kept everyone in stitches. He is funny off the cuff. His humor is more than schtick there is subtle substance. I find him to be generous to others. Everyone has to make a living. For all we know he is gay.

by Anonymousreply 1407/23/2013

Sometimes I'm concerned that we might come off the way pro-Trayvon supporters do-as people who get a disproportionate amount of press. I am openly gay so I am obviously eager for more and more states to get gay marriage until the whole country has it, but it is crucial that we are mindful of how we are perceived by the public as a whole.

We need to learn from the mistakes of a minority group who ascended to equality (and power) in the late 60's/early 70's. Once we achieve full civil rights we need to make sure we continue to work hard, value education and "police our ranks" so that we don't become lax, entitled and demand that we are always right no matter what the circumstances or the evidence.

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about with coming out and saying it. I don't wan to get certain people riled up. Ha Ha. I just don't want to see gay T.M. s and lesbian Jeantel's in the future. We can do better.

by Anonymousreply 1507/23/2013

I'm so sick of fat straight this and fat straight that. If fat straight people wanna eat bacon and die, let 'em. I couldn't care less.

by Anonymousreply 1607/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!