Anthony Weiner Faces Second Cybersex Scandal
2:13 PM PDT 7/23/2013 by Erin Carlson
The former congressman's NYC mayoral bid could bite the dust after revelations made by The Dirty. "I'm just doing my job," the salacious site's founder, Nik Richie, tells THR.
Message to Anthony Weiner and other politicians felled by sexting scandals: before pressing "send" on that X-rated photo, think of what The Dirty might do with it.
Weiner is running for mayor of New York City, two years after accidentally tweeting a lewd photo of himself and admitting to sending sexually-charged online messages to a handful of women; the embarrassing public slip-up, which threatened to derail his political career and his marriage to Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin, led the former Queens congressman to resign in disgrace and retreat to a life out of the spotlight.
He announced his mayoral bid and returned to Twitter in May, weeks after breaking his silence in an interview with The New York Times Magazine, confessing of his social-media temptation: "I knew when I did it, almost from the moment I did it, there was no good way for it to end. When I sent that fateful tweet."
Cut to Tuesday, two months into the Democrat's campaign, in which he is trailing rival Christine Quinn in the primary, and The Dirty -- the popular, salacious, unabashedly crass gossip website run by Nik Richie -- has posed new information and illicit images of alleged communications between Weiner and an unidentified young woman. (Earlier this month, The Dirty helped perpetrate the downfall of former Miramax chairman and Colony Capital partner Richard Nanula after the site posted pictures of a man believed to be Nanula engaged in a sexual scenario with adult-film actress Samantha Saint.)
A post by Richie features a blurred-out photo of Weiner's private parts and a timeline of his purported exchange with the woman, who claims to have begun her digital relationship with Weiner in July 2012, when she was 22. She alleges that they corresponded on the social network Formspring, exchanged nude photos of each other and had phone sex. The woman also says that Weiner would send X-rated shots of himself to her Gmail account via a Yahoo account created in the name "Carlos Danger." They spoke one time in December of last year, she claims, but Weiner reached out after the New York Times magazine story was published in April, asking for her opinion on the article (an attempt by Weiner and Abedin to rehabilitate his public image). "I'm deeply flawed," a user reported to be Weiner told the woman in one Formspring conversation.
When reached by The Hollywood Reporter, Ritchie declined an interview, saying through an associate: "I'm just doing my job."
Weiner, meanwhile, has confirmed the authenticity of some of the messages to Buzzfeed and later followed up with an official statement.
"I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have," said Weiner. "As I have said in the past, these things that I did were wrong and hurtful to my wife and caused us to go through challenges in our marriage that extended past my resignation from Congress. While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me. I’ve apologized to Huma and am grateful that she has worked through these issues with me and for her forgiveness. I want to again say that I am very sorry to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption that this has caused. As my wife and I have said, we are focused on moving forward."