Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Heather Graham and Ellen Burstyn to star in Lifetime version of Flowers in the Attic

Heather Graham ("Boogie Nights," "Drugstore Cowboy") is set to play Corrine, the mother who abandons her four young children, leaving them with their truly messed up grandmother, Olivia, who, wait for it, will be played by Oscar winner Ellen Burstyn ("Political Animals," "Requiem for a Dream").

Kayla Alpert ("Up All Night") will write the film, which will be directed by Deborah Chow ("The High Cost of Living").

Produced by Front Street Pictures, Inc., Merideth Finn ("The Rite") will executive produce with Cue the Dog Productions' Michele Weiss ("Little Children") and Charles W. Fries ("Screamers"). Harvey Kahn (Lifetime’s "Stalkers, "Romeo Killer: The Chris Porco Story") will produce.

Airdate is still to be determined.

"Flowers in the Attic" was first published in 1979 and it went on to sell more than 40 million copies worldwide. Readers were captivated by its tale of four children who are forced to live their formative years locked in an attic and made to pay for their parents' sins by their cruel religious grandmother. It spawned four more novels in the series.

"Flowers in the Attic" was previously adapted for the big screen in 1987 and enjoyed a good amount of box office success, though critics panned it. It starred Kristy Swanson as oldest daughter Cathy, Victoria Tennant as mother Corrine and Louise Fletcher as grandmother Olivia.

The project represents Lifetime's continued push beyond its ripped-from-the-headlines and biopic movie programming. Last week, the effort was rewarded with a supporting actress Emmy nomination for Alfre Woodard in its adaptation of "Steel Magnolias."

by Anonymousreply 3308/16/2013

This looks very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 107/23/2013

I'm looking forward to it. EB was terrific in "Resurrection".

by Anonymousreply 207/23/2013

I'm seeing it!

I hope it is full on kitchy and melodramatic and ridiculous. And, since it is to be on Lifetime, I have a feeling it will be.

by Anonymousreply 307/23/2013

I'm so going to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 407/23/2013

They better not try to make this art.

by Anonymousreply 507/23/2013

R5, Heather Graham is in, which means it legally can't be called art.

by Anonymousreply 607/23/2013

who will play the powdered donuts?

by Anonymousreply 707/23/2013

I friggin' loved the book as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 807/23/2013

Haather was in Twin Peaks and that's art

by Anonymousreply 907/23/2013

^^meant R6.

by Anonymousreply 1007/23/2013

How old is Heather?

by Anonymousreply 1107/23/2013

Sorry, but the original movie is a classic. It will be hard to improve upon Louise Fletcher's truly sinister performance.

by Anonymousreply 1207/23/2013

Kristy Swanson!

by Anonymousreply 1307/23/2013

Heather is 43 - and still looks good!

by Anonymousreply 1407/23/2013

I hope the include the mild brother-sister incest, that was the hottest part of the book.

by Anonymousreply 1507/23/2013

This is a bad idea. Flowers In The Attic is not a book which is meant to be filmed. The only good part of the first movie was Louise Fletcher. Nothing else. Heather Graham is even worse casting as Corinne than Victoria Tennant

by Anonymousreply 1607/23/2013

"The only good part of the first movie was Louise Fletcher."

I disagree. There was a scene where the sinister manservant was out digging four graves in the woods, intended for the innocent children... and they say you can't get good servants these days!

The original is so overwrought, it's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1707/23/2013

Heather and Carrie Ann Moss lesbian scene.

by Anonymousreply 1807/23/2013

You're right, r17; the manservant was pretty scary. But I still believe Flowers In The Attic should be a book only.

by Anonymousreply 1907/23/2013

I've always thought it would make a better miniseries. The extended passage of time needed to develop the story would play better over two nights. In the book the kids are locked away in the attic for years, growing from children to teens. In the 80s movie they were only there for maybe a year. Though you'd have to cast multiple sets of kids to play the different ages, which I doubt is in Lifetime's budget.

by Anonymousreply 2007/23/2013

I'd watch anything with Ellen Burstyn even something with boring Heather Graham.. Why oh why does Heather still work? She's over the hill and a bland actress.

by Anonymousreply 2107/23/2013

The original movie was complete crap and Fletcher's performance was overrated -- she had nothing to do except glare! The Lifetime version will likely be crap as well.

by Anonymousreply 2207/23/2013

The books were crap--but incredibly addictive, readable, poorly written crap.

by Anonymousreply 2307/23/2013

I spent my early teen years reading that whole line of Cathy/Christopher books. I wish they could do something decent with them.

by Anonymousreply 2407/23/2013

I was scared shitless in the one book when Cathy returns to the mansion and whips the grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 2507/23/2013

I love the one sure Chris and Cathy are married and Cathy has 2 sons , Jory, the ballet dancer and Bart (different fathers) Bart is a psycho and sleeps with Jory's wife after he is paralyzed in a ballet accident .... There is a fox worth creepy uncle that's is up to no good as well.

There is another prequel that tells the story of the Evil grandma and how she got to be that way ... Cathy and Chris's parents did not know they were 1/2 siblings their father had an affair with his brothers wife.

by Anonymousreply 2607/23/2013

I'm available to play Cathy!

by Anonymousreply 2707/23/2013

Sorry, Miss Jones. Our dear little Kiernan Shipka got the part.

by Anonymousreply 2808/16/2013

Heather Graham, while not my first choice for the role, might have finally found a role she can do justice to. After all, Corrine was a dull, bland blonde who coasted by on her looks, got married, had kids, and never worked a day in her life.

I think Heather's bland beauty might actually help her in this role. all she really has to do is be a vapid bitch who seems to have no idea how evil and selfish she really is. She might actually do quite well.

Burstyn will be terrific!

by Anonymousreply 2908/16/2013

Just read that Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka will be in this.

by Anonymousreply 3008/16/2013

Grahmam's role sounds like Betty Draper.

by Anonymousreply 3108/16/2013

Actually, come to think of it, she does have a few similarities to Betty. The original book took place in the 50's, so they could be cut from the same cloth.

I wonder if they'll be updating it or making it a period piece. Does Lifetime even have the budget for a period piece? Sure, a majority of the film takes place indoors, but still...

by Anonymousreply 3208/16/2013

I just re-watched the original recently. They completely whitewashed all the incest stuff from the book, but it has some camp value. Favorite part was toward the end with Cathy screaming at her mother after interrupting her wedding: "Eat the cookie!"

by Anonymousreply 3308/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!