Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How does second insurance work?

My partner and I will get married. He gets insurance at work and so do I. Is it worth it to get covered by his insurance and him by mine. Does anyone do this and how does it work? I would still have to pay a c0-pay I imagine.

by Anonymousreply 307/23/2013

Coordination of benefits - When you have medical bills, you submit them to your insurance carrier. After your carrier pays, you submit them to his carrier along with a copy of the explanation of benefits from your carrier. So, say your carrier paid 80% of the bills. His carrier will consider what payment you would receive under his coverage and pay that up to the remaining 20%. It's possible that you might not have met the deductible on his plan yet, so his plan might not pay anything. But you would still want to submit those bills so that you work toward meeting the deductible on his plan. The two carriers will coordinate their benefits so that you receive up to but not over 100% payment.

by Anonymousreply 107/23/2013

Very kind reply. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 207/23/2013

It may not be an issue much longer. Many companies are refusing to cover working spouses. The idea is the spouse should be able to secure insurance through their own employer. This is one of the unforeseen consequences of healthcare reform aka Obamacare. Expect to see this become the norm in the next couple of years. It started at my company on July 1.

by Anonymousreply 307/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.