Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

36 Photos From Russia That Everyone Needs To See

It’s a scary place for LGBT people in Russia right now.

by Anonymousreply 5007/24/2013

BuzzFeed wants all gays to become Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 107/23/2013

If we want to troll BuzzFeed, we can do it ourselves.

And trust me, there's not a person on DL who doesn't realize the plight of gays and lesbians in the fucked-up country that is Russia. At least not any intelligent person.

by Anonymousreply 207/23/2013

Buzzfeed or not, those photos are chilling.

by Anonymousreply 307/23/2013

What is the origin of the notion that Buzzfeed LGBT has Republican leanings?

by Anonymousreply 407/23/2013

Buzzfeed is run by right wing Republicans. But every now and then even a Republican can say or do the right thing. (Rarely, I admit. Very rarely)

This really is a horrifying display. The fact that Russia is holding the Olympics is repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 507/23/2013

I spent a month in Russia a few years ago. Although I loved it there, I never felt comfortable expressing any sexuality at all. I stayed in a nice hotel with a great gym, and spent some time in the sauna, etc. All these hot Russians -- the men and women really are crazy beautiful -- would come in and just, uh, let it hang out. I could never tell if they were flirting or oblivious, but I didn't make a move. I always felt that I was just one step away from being thrown in a jail and never being seen again. You just don't feel safe there.

by Anonymousreply 607/23/2013

So is Putin a big fag or what? He's got to know that his homophobia just makes him look like he craves cock.

by Anonymousreply 707/23/2013

They have consistently posted favorable articles on GOProud and the Log Cabin Republicans in their LGBT section, R4. The level to which they push the Republican agenda on their gay readership is offensive, as less than a quarter of gays actually identify as Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 807/23/2013

[quote]Buzzfeed is run by right wing Republicans.

Who, specifically? Ben Smith? Andrew Kaczinsky? Who is Republican?

by Anonymousreply 907/23/2013

Ben Smith definitely is, and he shows it consistently on the MSNBC panels he appears on. He used to be at Politico, which is a well-known right-wing echo chamber.

Chris Geidner also helps set the agenda in the LGBT section. He's a gay lawyer who once ran a Republican/libertarian-friendly blog called "Law Dork".

There are other examples of Republican-friendly and openly right-wing posters at BuzzFeed, R9. Please do your own research.

by Anonymousreply 1007/23/2013

MSNBC asks gay Republican Chris Geidner for the scoop on gay conservative groups... They know he knows exactly how that demimonde works, since he's such a big part of it.

by Anonymousreply 1107/23/2013

Not just for Russians. In Finland there are a lot of ethnic Russians who are very hostile to gays.

by Anonymousreply 1207/23/2013

They are also connected to the Koch brothers.

by Anonymousreply 1307/23/2013

I'm confused. The caption said these are the anti-gays. Shirtless and carrying a leather whip on Pride Day, they'd fit right in to the parade in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 1407/23/2013

[quote]Please do your own research.

I wasn't doing research. I was asking people to explain what they meant. I had no idea the people mentioned were Republicans, so I'm grateful for the clarification.

by Anonymousreply 1507/23/2013

We have just as many homophobes here in the USA - if not more. This is not just a Russian problem. Remember DOMA?

by Anonymousreply 1607/23/2013

Any comment from Johnny Weir?

by Anonymousreply 1707/23/2013

Putin is using the gays as a scare tactic so the Russians won't notice that he is screwing up the country (and not in a good way).

by Anonymousreply 1807/23/2013

If BuzzFeed is Rethuglican and conservative, they're pretty lousy Rethuglicans and conservatives, since they seem to support pretty socially liberal viewpoints.

by Anonymousreply 1907/23/2013

The world is going to ignore this. The looks on the faces of the mobs / attackers is horrible. Those poor people. Putin is enjoying what he's started. He knows the rest of the world are hypocrites.

"I hope it's going to be alright."

by Anonymousreply 2007/23/2013

It doesn't matter who owns Buzzfeed. The content is posted by others.

by Anonymousreply 2107/23/2013

[quote]The world is going to ignore this.

I don't think so. This is as dramatic as the Life Magazine photos of the civil rights coverage in the 60s. Shocking and extremely moving to see the bravery on some of those faces.

by Anonymousreply 2207/23/2013

I signed...

by Anonymousreply 2307/23/2013

The content is what we have a problem with, R21. It is too friendly to Republicans, especially in the LGBT section. We gays hate Republicans, and BuzzFeed needs to stop ramming their agenda down our throats. They should stick to the explicitly gay news, and not try and peddle their right-wing wares.

by Anonymousreply 2407/23/2013

They are gay-friendly enough, R19, but generally libertarian/right-wing on everything else. It makes them hypocritical (voting Republican advances the anti-gay cause), and ultimately inferior to gay news sites which more fully align with the LGBT population.

by Anonymousreply 2507/23/2013

So post more stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2607/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 2707/23/2013

Looks like they better learn how to throw a punch.

by Anonymousreply 2807/23/2013

It's horrible. I can't believe Sochi will host the 2014 Olympics. I wonder what all the publicly and closeted gay athletes are thinking, or if they even care.

by Anonymousreply 2907/23/2013

What are you talking about, R26? They have hired posters at BuzzFeed.

by Anonymousreply 3007/23/2013

Everybody needs to sign the petition at r23.

by Anonymousreply 3107/23/2013

Putin does seem super gay now that I think about it.

by Anonymousreply 3207/23/2013

First of all,Western governments especially from countries like France and the UK where the Russian political elite like to holiday,shop and have their get away homes should make it crystal clear that they can no longer guarantee the safety of Russian politicians nor of their families just as they cannot guarantee the safety of foreign citizens travelling to Russia.

This should also apply to leaders of African nations with severe anti-gay legislation that expect to kick up their heels in Western nations and also own property in Europe.

This will especially rankle the wives of so many Russian politicians many of whom are ex hard- currency prostitutes.

At the very least any self respecting gay person in Europe of even here in the US should be permitted to refuse service to Russian citizens and also giving them a good kick in the nuts or corresponding bits of their anatomy without retribution.

After all,fair is fair!

No Chanel for you,my dear.

by Anonymousreply 3307/23/2013

Oh...and all Stoli out of the bars!

by Anonymousreply 3407/23/2013

But BuzzFeed posts such cute kitty pictures!

by Anonymousreply 3507/23/2013

Actually, r34, that's a valid boycott, gay bars alone would have a devastating effect on Russian vodka manufacturers.

by Anonymousreply 3607/23/2013

The suppression of LGBT advocates is naturally of most concern to us, but in truth the oppressiveness of the Russian government runs far beyond our community. Lots of reasons, I think, to avoid involvement with Putin's authoritarian regime.

by Anonymousreply 3707/23/2013

Tomorrow belongs to me.

by Anonymousreply 3807/24/2013

Just to be fair - remember George Bush and hundreds of thousands killed in a phoney war? THAT was a huge horrible thing WE DID. In Virginia the REPUG candidate for Governor wants to outlaw gay sex - OUTLAW it. Remember you can't say gay in Tennessee. Things are moving forward here, we are way ahead of them. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

by Anonymousreply 3907/24/2013

I like Vodka. What's the best non-Russian vodka. I will not order anything that I know specifically comes from Russia until this heartbreaking situation is resolved.

by Anonymousreply 4107/24/2013

From now on, everytime I play Russian roulette, I'll call it Freedom roulette.

by Anonymousreply 4207/24/2013

I like Snow Queen vodka from Kazakhstan.

by Anonymousreply 4307/24/2013

Grey Goose is made in France.

Karlsson's is made in Sweden.

Both more than acceptable vodkas.

by Anonymousreply 4407/24/2013

[quote]DL is only pissed they can't blame Muslims for this one.

We're satisfied blaming Christians.

by Anonymousreply 4507/24/2013

"We have just as many homophobes here in the USA - if not more. This is not just a Russian problem. Remember DOMA?"

DOMA was repealed, dear, and we don't have mass arrests and beatings of gay people peacefully assembling in the US. We have not undergone a wave of anti-gay legislation where you cannot say that gay people exist in front of children and where kids are about to be removed from gay parents.

Your false equivalency is as ill-informed as it is stifling.

by Anonymousreply 4607/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 4707/24/2013

All I am saying is we Americans can be very arrogant and smug.

by Anonymousreply 4807/24/2013

Listen, stop with the "it's just as bad here" whining. It isnt. We are a long way from perfection but for the love of God THIS doesnt happen at our parades here. There may be people who would like to kick the shit out you but its not legal. Your parades are protected by our constitution. These are the police kicking the shit out of these protesters and the police allowing others to do the same. It's patently against the law to kick the shit out of gay pride participants in this country.

by Anonymousreply 4907/24/2013

Not only that, but after they kick the shit out of them, they arrest them.

by Anonymousreply 5007/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!