Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

With polizaration at an all-time high and seemingly getting worse, I'm all for letting the southern states secede from the United States. Sure, there are wing-nuts everywhere, but I say, draw a fucking line and let people make their choices. If you want to live in a whacked-out, evangelical, racist, homophobic, right-wing cesspool, then move your ass to Alabama, Florida, Texas, Tennessee or wherever.

If, on the other hand, you'd prefer to live in a more civilized environment, choose a more northern locale and be among like-minded, sensible people.

Personally, I'm sick of seeing all this shit on the news every evening, most of it pouring out of the south. Go for it, I say!

by Anonymousreply 3107/24/2013

Many of those whacked-out, evangelical, racist, homophobic, right-wing cesspools rely on Federal aid in order to function. Blue states send more to the Feds than they get back in aid, while red states get back more than they send. Were it not for the money coming from states like New York, New Jersey and California, southern states wouldn't have paved roads airports or hospitals like they way they do now. Sure, they talk a big game about leaving the Union, but the fact is they are addicted to Yankee money.

by Anonymousreply 107/23/2013

That's right! Keep them damn Polacks out of the USA!

by Anonymousreply 207/23/2013

Secession might greatly improve life for many of us but it would have the opposite affect for many living in the South, including those in red states, including black and or gay people, who are currently most oppressed.

by Anonymousreply 307/23/2013

They would be given the opportunity to leave, R3, before the gates slam shut.

by Anonymousreply 407/23/2013

Yeah, it's not like the gays have lives and families in those states, R4. It's just that easy.

by Anonymousreply 507/23/2013

I think it's very likely your griping about this here will make this happen, OP.

by Anonymousreply 607/23/2013

Absolutely agree. Let's start a movement!

by Anonymousreply 707/23/2013

I've "griped" about it everywhere. Even sent a letter to both of my congresspeople (Tammy Baldwin and Mark Pocan). Of course, it's not going to happen; I'm just saying we'd all be a lot better off if it DID happen.

by Anonymousreply 807/23/2013

Polarization is much more a function of the Internet and media, than it is a function of geographical state lines. I mean, for hypothetical example, if a "red" state is only 53/47 split Republican/Democrat, should the 47% suffer that badly? Thinking of North Carolina in particular. Lot of redneck assholes.. lot of good smart people as well, in the growth cities.

by Anonymousreply 1007/23/2013

Nope. Let them move out of America. They should live in a country that better reflects their values and points of view. Why should we change for them? They want change, they can move their polyester clad fat asses out of this country.

The country belongs to all of us, if they don't like it - they need to sashay away.

by Anonymousreply 1107/23/2013

There will always be in-fighting, no matter where we place the dividing line.

by Anonymousreply 1207/23/2013

This is not about the Zimmerman case, R9. It's about the role of religion in government, the rights of women, the level of social services for the poor and the amount of investment we make in education and infrastructure. It's about disastrous foreign wars and gay marriage. It's about who replaces Ginsberg on the Supreme Court--the final vote to overturn Roe or another supporter of our rights?

The North and South want to go in different directions. At the moment no one is going anywhere. We'll have to wait for the dying Republican party to lose control of the House (which due to redistricting may not happen until 2022) and to get under 60 votes in the Senate.

The Republicans have lost 5 of the last 6 popular votes for President and demographics make it unlikely they will ever win again. The Republicans will continue be obstructionist and block any of the PResident's initiatives because that's their only power. We may lose a decade or more in paralysis while our rivals grow stronger because they are doing all the things we are not.

by Anonymousreply 1307/23/2013

This was tried this once before.

by Anonymousreply 1407/23/2013

I say we kick the bums out.

by Anonymousreply 1507/23/2013

Yeah right, OP. Most of the US's military bases are in the south. That would be fun. A militarised confederacy and liberal US states left militarily weak and without industry. Allot the base closures under Bush were in the northeast.

Virginia and Texas have more military than most countries have.

Don't think they haven't planned this out.

by Anonymousreply 1607/23/2013

Abe--That fight was over slavery more than it was over the immortality of the Union and the separation was unilateral. This time, we'd all be up for it.

by Anonymousreply 1707/23/2013

It would probably be necessary to maintain a shared defense. At least for a while.

by Anonymousreply 1807/23/2013

"They would be given the opportunity to leave, [R3], before the gates slam shut."

And what about the gay people and other minorities who are born there after secession?

by Anonymousreply 1907/23/2013

Another 'New Yorkers gone wild' thread...

by Anonymousreply 2007/23/2013

Maybe we need a royal family to unite us all, like the birth of the "royal baby" has brought together the people of the United Kingdom and all the nations of the Commonwealth!

by Anonymousreply 2107/23/2013

Shouldn't NYC worry about leaving the rest of very red Upstate NY first?

by Anonymousreply 2207/23/2013

Don't leave us, NYC. Trust me, we're not as red as you think. I'm openly gay and live right about dead center of New York State and I'm perfectly comfortable. Besides in Upstate New York we have: The Adirondacks, Niagara Falls, 1000 Islands...Port Charles, the fictional setting of "General Hospital!"

by Anonymousreply 2307/23/2013

Leave us, NYC. We'll take Toronto and Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 2407/23/2013

Actually, can we swap out NYC for Sydney or Auckland? Somewhere with less arrogance and a better climate.

by Anonymousreply 2507/23/2013

Obviously there are going to be red people in the North and blue people in the South. They already have made certain compromises living in a state where they are a political minority. It's not as if New York is ever going to ban abortion or Alabama is ever going to allow gay marriage under the current system.

Most people won't decide where to live based on the policies of the government. They don't now.

by Anonymousreply 2607/23/2013

The notion that the prairie states and Midwest states like Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin would choose to be with New York and California instead of the South is a pipe dream. There's more loyalty to fellow flyovers than you think.

by Anonymousreply 2707/23/2013

"Most of the US's military bases are in the south."

No, most are outside the United States.

by Anonymousreply 2807/24/2013

R9 = Roger Ailes

by Anonymousreply 2907/24/2013

In my lifetime, we've never been united so it's odd that we are the United States of America. We couldn't be more divided than we are right now.

I'm from a swing state but left when I was barely 21 to move to a blue state and now I live in an even bluer state than the one I initially escaped to. I would prefer to jump off the Golden Gate rather than move to any of the red or swing states in the USA.

Secession would be wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 3007/24/2013

Actually, R26, your last statement is apparently not totally true. According to a report I read a couple of years back by Richard Florida, who studies demographic trends almost exclusively, he claims that a large percentage of people are drawn to areas where they feel they will find like-minded individuals. For instance, I live in Madison, WI, and even though the state somehow elected asshole Scott Walker as governor (who has managed to push Wisconsin down to 49th in economic outlook), Madison itself continues to draw VERY liberal-minded people. A large percentage of newcomers to Madison cite its liberal reputation as one of the main reasons they chose to move here.

by Anonymousreply 3107/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!