Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Cheshire Murders, documentary on HBO

Watching it now. It's about the home invasion of the Petit family.

by Anonymousreply 12612/20/2013

Can't bring myself to watch it just yet. Such a horrendous thing for anyone to have to go through.

by Anonymousreply 107/22/2013

Me either r1. Brutality that made no sense.

I think the fact that the police were notified and still they almost all died was just too heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 207/22/2013

I want to slap the young perp's girlfriend. These stupid girls who fall in love with thugs, and this one was a psycho

by Anonymousreply 307/22/2013

The police department should be shot for not getting in there before the women were killed.

by Anonymousreply 407/22/2013

So, OP worth a watch?

Is it similar to te docu on Diane Shuler (sp)?

by Anonymousreply 507/23/2013

R4, the police WERE there - waiting outside the home for 30 minutes while the victims were being raped, doused with gasoline, and then set ablaze.

Dr. Petit has never criticized the police department, but instead has supported them. However, other family members have been vocal about the failings of the police dept.

It was Avery well done documentary. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to watch, but I got through it. I missed the first 15 minutes. The back stories on the perpetrators was interesting. Lots of interviews with relatives with all involved.

Thanks for posting, op. This case has stayed with me. One of the most vile cases ion record.

by Anonymousreply 607/23/2013

As a single woman, I was really frightened by the fact that the younger of the two was able to burgle third floor apartments (I live on the third floor!) with such ease, as he had special tools, and then just for fun he would wait to leave until after they got home and were asleep just so he could hear them breathe.

What can I do to protect myself? I can't get a dog (I travel too much).

Also, why is America so predisposed to violence? This crime was committed without needing guns... so guns weren't the reason here.

Those poor girls, may their family find peace.

by Anonymousreply 707/23/2013

Six years ago today.

by Anonymousreply 807/23/2013

One of the most horrifying crimes ever. And if the police did anything wrong, and I am not saying they did, it just goes to show that not all small towns have forces equipped to handle such rare and serious situations.

by Anonymousreply 907/23/2013

agree r9

Swat teams are sent in to bust drug activity, but in this case the police waited outside the house while the family was being butchered and tortured.

I'm sure they were just following "protocol" but sometimes common sense needs to prevail (If they busted in and folks got killed because of that they would have been on the hook for all sorts of wrong-doings).

But in this extreme case, that's exactly what they should have done - busted in. Maybe one of the girls/mother could have been saved.

Such a sad sad story.

by Anonymousreply 1007/23/2013

Who hasn't heard the proverbial "bump in the night" while in bed and discounted it as nothing to be alarmed about? IMagine the horror it IS something to be alarmed about.

by Anonymousreply 1107/23/2013

I used to think about the father/husband all the time. Almost like a psychic prayer. Trying to send good intentions to him. I felt many people must be doing the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 1207/23/2013

At the risk of getting this thread shut down, I find it fascinating that people aren't calling for torture killings of the perpetrators. Or saying they are animals and anyone who shares their race is too. Then I realized that the murderers are white and that's why there is no interest in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1307/23/2013

Get over yourself, r13. This happened six years ago. Plenty of people were calling for the death penalty for these two animals. This case alone changed my perspective on the death penalty. I am now for it and am glad they were both sentenced to die.

by Anonymousreply 1407/23/2013

DVR'd it last night. Watching it this afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 1507/23/2013

[quote] This happened six years ago. Plenty of people were calling for the death penalty for these two animals.

R14 is correct that R13 needs to get over himself. There is/was PLENTY of outrage about this case. I only disagree with the use of the term "animals". It isn't fair to lump our animal friends in with these losers.

by Anonymousreply 1607/23/2013

[quote] DVR'd it last night. Watching it this afternoon.

What is the point of posting this?

by Anonymousreply 1707/24/2013

R17 ? What is the point of posting this?

by Anonymousreply 1807/24/2013

r2, your phrasing of "still they almost all died" is woefully inadequate to the point of misleading.

A more accurate expression would be "and all but one died."

by Anonymousreply 1907/24/2013

"the police WERE there - waiting outside the home for 30 minutes while the victims were being raped, doused with gasoline, and then set ablaze."

Exactly, r6. Meanwhile, we read stories of the opposite incompetence, where police SWAT teams break into citizens' homes and terrorize them under "police work" pretenses.

by Anonymousreply 2007/24/2013

I love the clip of the city official saying what a great job the first responders did and how it could've been much worse!

by Anonymousreply 2107/24/2013

The police royally fucked this up. If they had entered the house, those three poor women could have been saved. This is probably the worst home invasion crime in recent years that I have ever heard of.

by Anonymousreply 2207/25/2013

The recently released tapes shed some light on the mindset of the authorities during this tragedy. Apparently the banker thought it was possible Mrs. Petit was lying in order to be able to withdraw money from an account that had her husband's name on it. Without the benefit of hindsight, it's not hard to believe that her story may have been far-fetched.

by Anonymousreply 2307/26/2013

Is this the case where the mother was driven to the bank and she left teller a note? Then she as driven back and killed along with her daughters?

by Anonymousreply 2407/26/2013

Yes, R24. Though the doc made it sound like she talked to the teller(?) who thought she seemed petrified. The bank called the police right away, right? You'd have thought a 15 grand cash withdrawal would merit some extra scrutiny generally.

by Anonymousreply 2507/26/2013

R1 here, I finally forced myself to watch this documentary. It wasn't as horrific as I thought it would be to watch, still none the less a HORRENDOUS thing for anyone to have to have gone through. And who knows if all the details are correct but if the police were outside for an half an hour... SHAME ON THEM! And yet on the other side we were not there so who knows what was really going on with the police. It's a shame that 3 people had to die at the hands of these animals who should be shoved into a small cell and left there 24/7 till they die.

by Anonymousreply 2607/26/2013

I have been following this horrific case since it occurred and one thing the documentary didn't point out was that it is allegedly standard protocol in a potential hostage situation to stake out the location first to watch for activity. It apparently is not protocol to just go barging into the house, especially when there is no sign of trouble. Now granted, with the benefit of hindsight, you wish all kinds of different things happened.

by Anonymousreply 2707/26/2013

If this crime had taken place in NYC those women would still be alive because NYC cops would've raided that house in about 2 seconds. They definitely wouldn't have stayed outside for half an hour debating on what to do. These small town cops aren't used to dealing with these kinds of situations, unlike NYC cops. Such a shame these women had to lose their lives because of that.

by Anonymousreply 2807/26/2013

I agree with the grandmother when she said that the police were more interested in catching the killers than preserving lives. If they would have raided the house most likely all 3 females would not have died.

by Anonymousreply 2907/29/2013

Police really blew it. I was shocked to hear the killers were able to strangle and rape the mom, douse the girls with gasoline and set the house on fire, all while the police were right outside. It was also very sickening to hear about the younger killer's background. His Adoptive parents should be put on trial too. I can believe they wouldn't allow him to take medication for his psychological problems, not to mention all the abuse taking place in the house. From watching the documentary, the main motive of the younger one was not robbery, but to sexually abuse the younger Petit daughter that he spotted in shop and stop.

by Anonymousreply 3007/29/2013

One of the killer's admitted to seeing someone (the freakin' police) watching them through the window.

I'm assuming that this was the kind of neighborhood where people didn't lock their doors and windows?

by Anonymousreply 3107/29/2013

[quote]Can't bring myself to watch it just yet. Such a horrendous thing for anyone to have to go through.

Me too. I want to learn about the story, but afraid to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 3307/29/2013

It was a good documentary, well worth seeing.

It told you a lot more about the murderers than the victims, but I guess that's understandable. What can you say about the victims? They were almost too good to be real; I suppose the filmmakers thought it would be a more interesting movie if they focused on the murderers.

Steven Hayes apparently was severely mentally disturbed since childhood. He committed heinous acts, but seem genuinely broken and has attempted suicide. Joshua Komisarjevsky, who has a quick, brilliant mind (what a waste) was adopted at birth and taken in by a couple of religious freaks. He was repeatedly molested as a child by a foster brother (the brother looks like Central Casting's version of a child molester); he never had a chance. Of course his bizarre, abusive childhood warped him to such a degree that he became a career criminal and something of a child molester himself (he has a fetish for teenage girls).

It's said that Komisarjevsky picked out Jennifer Petit and her daughter Michaela as targets because of young Michaela. She was tall and well-developed, but only 11 years old. He probably thought she was older. Or maybe he didn't care how old she was; he just knew she was very young. At any rate, he's supposed to have followed them because of his attraction to Michaela. He did various sexual things to her when he held her captive, including performing oral sex on her and taking pictures of various parts of her body on his phone.

Both Hayes and Kominsarjevsky got the death penalty. Hayes has requested that the sentence be carried out quickly, but that of course was denied. The death penalty in Connecticut has been abolished for future cases; the film states that although sentenced to death Hayes and Kominsarjevsky will probably never be executed.

I'm generally very in favor of the death penalty, but after seeing this documentary and hearing from all sides I was persuaded to believe that the sentence should have been life in prison without parole.

The film doesn't mention that Dr. Petit has since remarried. His new wife is a photographer 21 years younger than him. She's the same physical type as his late wife; tall, blonde and thin. They were married in a rather unseemly lavish formal wedding (300 guests), but I guess that's what his young bride wanted. I wonder why the film neglected to mention Petit's remarriage? By the way, in the wedding pictures the bride is grinning from ear to ear but the groom barely cracks a smile.

by Anonymousreply 3407/29/2013

Didn't realize he was remarried, but I guess a rich doctor is still considered a catch.

by Anonymousreply 3507/29/2013

Thanks, r34!

by Anonymousreply 3607/29/2013

Life in Prison without parole is much different from being on Death Row. Its not necesarily the Death Penaly victims may seek but the lifestyle of the death row inmate they seek.

There are inmates doing Life without Parole that are giving tv interviews etc.

Look at Charles Manson. he was able to give tv interviews

by Anonymousreply 3707/29/2013

I have to admit, if I would have heard those girls screaming, I would have had to go in right away. Nothing would have kept me out of that house. Men are fucking cowards and cops, even with their guns are cowardly bullies. How could any cop stand his ground when he heard children screaming and crying? Stupid fucks. I don't know how the woman's parents can be so sweet and not be angry with the police force. Good grief...they could have rushed in and shot the killers dead...boom! No trail.

by Anonymousreply 3807/29/2013

Of course the doctor is married. In the first place if a doctor is straight, he is going to be married and have all kinds of girlfriends or fuckbuddies. Every woman who marries a doctor should be made aware of that fact.

It's the same with cops.

by Anonymousreply 3907/29/2013

Does anyone know where to watch it without HBO?

by Anonymousreply 4007/29/2013

You can probably purchase the dvd at a later date.

Or a friend can tape it if they have HBO but they cannot transfer it usually to a dvd but they can replay it for you in their home if they have dvd recorder on their cable system

by Anonymousreply 4107/29/2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RirSOWvrs

The YouTube of the special on the murders.

by Anonymousreply 4207/29/2013

Love y'all.

by Anonymousreply 4307/29/2013

I wish they would stop letting religious freaks adopt children...it's just plain sad and cruel. No one should have to be raised in an overly religious household.

by Anonymousreply 4407/29/2013

A Psychopath is a Psychopath whether they are raised in a nice home or bad home.

What he did to an 11 year old Little girl is showing he is unable to have empathy for others in any way shape or form

At least the other guy had the good grace to want to be killed after a year in jail and to have some type of remorse

This guy has no remorse and it has nothing to do with his upbringing

by Anonymousreply 4507/29/2013

Wait, those Petit kids were adopted? I thought the mom had a nose job, which accounted for the lack of resemblance. Either way, the thing I watched courtesy to my gaybors above said the youngest didn't dig going to church, nor did her dad, but he did it until she was OK going on her own with her older sister and mom.

by Anonymousreply 4607/29/2013

R42, that sounds like a Dateline special.

by Anonymousreply 4707/29/2013

No r46, the younger killer was adopted

by Anonymousreply 4807/29/2013

I dont think Petit kids were adopted-one of the killers were adopted and had a bad childhood

But then so did a Lot of people and some people actually excelled and became great people

A Horrible person will be a horrible person if he had a bad childhood or a good childhood

There is only so much upbringing can do. I see it in my family and so many other families

by Anonymousreply 4907/29/2013

The Petit girls were not adopted. The older daughter looked like a clone of her father; dark-haired and very large.

I think if Joshua Komisarjevsky had not brought up in a crazy religious family (they used "exorcism" to treat psychological disturbance) and had not repeatedly been molested by his pedo foster brother, chances are he wouldn't have turned out as badly as he did. That kind of childhood truly does wreck a child's mind. "Soul murder", I think it's called. That doesn't excuse his actions. But it does help explain them.

by Anonymousreply 5007/29/2013

[quote] by: What am I missing?

A brain, R46.

by Anonymousreply 5107/29/2013

BUT R50 did anyone else in his family (who was raised the same way) or anyone else in his religious family kill the way he did?

He did what he did for shlts and giggles.

and BTW-I am sick and tired of most every psychopath say he was molested as a child. If its even true, its still not a "reason" why a person would instill pain and suffering onto another

by Anonymousreply 5207/29/2013

I think they were both born sociopaths, neither cared about other human beings, no way to relate...both monsters.

by Anonymousreply 5307/29/2013

[quote] have to admit, if I would have heard those girls screaming, I would have had to go in right away. Nothing would have kept me out of that house. Men are fucking cowards and cops, even with their guns are cowardly bullies. How could any cop stand his ground when he heard children screaming and crying?

There was no screaming until the fire was started. They didn't stand around listening to screams.

by Anonymousreply 5407/30/2013

Komisarjevsky's uncle was Chairman and CEO of Burson Marsteller, one of the largest PR agencies in the world. He resigned last year, I believe.

Komisarjevsky's adoptive mother took him out of elementary school after he threw a desk at a teacher. She thought the teacher was too strict with him. Genetically, he may have been wired as a sociopath but his environment definitely contributed to it.

by Anonymousreply 5507/30/2013

"He did what he did for shlts and giggles.'

No, I think he did it because of the damage done to him as a child. It definitely warped him. Were his other siblings or family members as abused as he was? Were all of them forced to submit to homosexual sex while they were children? I don't think so. I'm sure it wasn't easy for any of them, but he was the one who appeared to take the brunt of the the abuse.

People react to enormous stress and mistreatment in different ways. Some people have suffered horrendous abuse as children and don't grow up to be murderers and rapists and thieves. Some do. Not everyone comes out of a terrible childhood environment unscathed. I definitely think that childhood abuse has something to do with the way people turn out to be as sdults. But I don't think that excuses criminal behavior. And I also believe that there are some people who are born bad. I don't know what the deal is with Komisarjevsky; he may have been born bad, but I tend to think that the childhood abuse ruined him.

by Anonymousreply 5607/30/2013

What proof is there that he was abused? Every murderer makes that claim. Do his siblings say they were abused? Do they back up his tales of abuse?

by Anonymousreply 5707/30/2013

[quote] What proof is there that he was abused? Every murderer makes that claim. Do his siblings say they were abused? Do they back up his tales of abuse?

What difference does it make?

by Anonymousreply 5807/30/2013

R13 writes,

[quote]At the risk of getting this thread shut down, I find it fascinating that people aren't calling for torture killings of the perpetrators. Or saying they are animals and anyone who shares their race is too. Then I realized that the murderers are white and that's why there is no interest in this thread.

You won't get it shut down.

I hadn't seen this thread until now. And I didn't see the documentary. (I am DVRing it for Thursday 08.01.2013.)

The state of Connecticut passed legislation, and Gov. Dan Malloy (D-Conn.) signed the bill, to abolish the death penalty in the state. So, the lives of the two convicted murderers have been spared.

I do not support that.

I am not against capital punishment. I would prefer it be administered in cases of the most extreme nature, such as mass murderers.

by Anonymousreply 5907/30/2013

R48 it makes a difference cause if he wasnt abused, he doesnt have an "explanation" for what he did except that he just wanted to. and it does poor justice for people that were really abused.

Many people have non abusive childhoods and grow up to be quite agressive. Some people like violence whether people admit it or not.

by Anonymousreply 6007/30/2013

r59, these two have not been spared. The death penalty was brought back so these two could be charged with capital murder and then repealed after they were sentenced. Chances are they will never be executed, but they were sentenced to death.

by Anonymousreply 6107/30/2013

We all have a death sentence. When will people realize this fact? Living life in prison is cheaper for us and a worse penalty then death.

by Anonymousreply 6207/30/2013

Once again, the Lifestyle of the Death Row Inmate is much more secluded and restricted than a life without parole inmate.

Life without Parole Inmates can actually live productively behind bars

by Anonymousreply 6307/30/2013

"What proof is there that he was abused?'

The documentary spent a fair amount of time on Komisarjevsky's upbringing; as I recall there were people in the documentary who affirmed that he was indeed molested and subjected to "exorcism" as a child. I don't think the documentary would depicted him as an abused child if it were untrue.

by Anonymousreply 6407/30/2013

The other guy was not abused and if you watch the documentary, as a teenager he took his little brother's hand and burned it over a grill

So he was already like that but at least he has the good grace to want to die right now.

I just cannot muster up any sympathy for either one. The Pain those poor girls must have endured being burned alive trying to get out of their bed The mom was strangled at least and supposedly raped after she was dead. Hope it was a quick death but from someone who was choked to almost passing out,it seems like a long time knowing your life is going out of you little by little but you kind of go into a trance accepting death while being choked

by Anonymousreply 6507/30/2013

Maybe he can set you on fire too

by Anonymousreply 6707/30/2013

Hopefully, he would set the idiot on fire.

by Anonymousreply 6807/30/2013

What the documentary mentioned about the younger one is that there was a history of mental illness from his bio family which combined with the abusive, wacky religious family produced a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 6907/31/2013

Pardon the pun, but adopting from Russia is like playing Russian roulette. The level of alcoholism in Russia is staggering. People will drink anything over there. It's not food for a fetus. Then there are gypsies who have too many inbred children and put a few up for adoption.

by Anonymousreply 7007/31/2013

R66 is missing a 6.

by Anonymousreply 7107/31/2013

The younger criminal's uncle was chairman and CEO or Burson-Marsteller? Really? I thought that was Mark Penn, Hillary Clinton's 2008 campaign advisor. Is it the same guy?

by Anonymousreply 7207/31/2013

These two need to die in prison. It is a much harsher penalty than going quietly with a sedative and death cocktail injected in your vein. If only good people could die without suffering like these death row monsters...

by Anonymousreply 7307/31/2013

Thought is was unfortunate that the young kid who committed the crime was actually institutionalized when he was younger. The parents refused him help there and instead, sent him to some Christian place.

by Anonymousreply 7407/31/2013

Thought every single thing about this crime was unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 7507/31/2013

I think Living a death inmate lifestyle behind bar for 10 to 20 years and then finally being put to death is worse than life in prison.

Most Lifers dont really want to die

by Anonymousreply 7608/01/2013

Dr Petit and his new wife announced Thursday that they are expecting a child

Congrats. He has been thru hell and back

by Anonymousreply 7708/02/2013

He deserves happiness but part of me finds it a bit unseemly.

by Anonymousreply 7808/02/2013

Me too, R78. I can't imagine how one goes on.

by Anonymousreply 7908/02/2013

I don't know why but this documentary wasn't as disturbing for me as the Aunt Dianne one but it had the same eerie and bleak music.

The doctor may need something like a new wife/life to cope. What he went through, my God I can't even imagine.

by Anonymousreply 8008/02/2013

"He deserves happiness but part of me finds it a bit unseemly."

Yeah, I kind of feel that way, too. He gets involved with a woman 20 years younger, who is the exact same physical type as his late wife: tall, blonde and skinny. They don't have a quiet wedding, they have a lavish formal one with lots of guests, a big celebration. I suppose that's what his young bride wanted. In the wedding pictures he's all decked out in formal wedding attire; he looks very umcomfortable. And now he's going to be a father at the age of 56. I don't begrudge him wanting to go on with his life, but still...it does appear, for lack of a better word, unseemly. For all his new marriage and impending fatherhood, Petit still seems like a depressed, broken man.

by Anonymousreply 8108/02/2013

I personally don't know how a man can live with himself when he made no attempt to save his family from these attackers. Hes not a man, he's a coward. He has his home torn down, why? What is he hiding?

by Anonymousreply 8208/02/2013

Doc Shepard. Capt. MacDonald. Mr. Petit. Lucky survivors.

by Anonymousreply 8308/02/2013

The one killer was such a hotty!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8408/02/2013

This story was so horrible. But why didn't they kill the husband? That seemed weird to me. You'd think he'd be the first one they'd kill.

by Anonymousreply 8508/02/2013

Was this the family that "The Conjuring" was about? They really did have it rough. It sure does sound like a case of demonic oppression!

by Anonymousreply 8608/02/2013

he had hired them

by Anonymousreply 8708/02/2013

I feel sorry for the child he and his new wife are having. Petit is a broken man and that child will never fulfill him in the way his other children did. It seems like he is making a replacement child, I hope that child's mother is a strong woman.

by Anonymousreply 8808/03/2013

Is his new wife much older than his oldest daughter would be had she lived?

by Anonymousreply 8908/03/2013

r89=feels threatened when men find fresh young things to love

by Anonymousreply 9008/03/2013

Yeah, I agree, it's a bit unseemly, but it's not my life.

And as horrific as the whole ordeal was - him fleeing the scene rather than rushing in to try to protect his family just doesn't compute for me. I can't imagine my dad running away like that. Not a chance. But maybe it's what most people would have done. I don't know.

[quote]r56 - Were all of them forced to submit to homosexual sex?

As opposed to heterosexual sex, which children are known to enjoy with adults? You're a POS r56.

by Anonymousreply 9108/03/2013

William Petit's new wife looks freakishly like his first wife.

They just announced that the new wife is pregnant! I don't think there's anything wrong in him remarrying and having children again - his whole family was wiped out in the most horrific way, why shouldn't he try and have a family again?

Twit at r89, if the elder daughter had lived she'd be 23. The new wife is 36.

by Anonymousreply 9208/03/2013

Fifty-six is kind of an advanced to be starting all over, and I mean ALL over, with a much younger wife and a baby.

Petit isn't exactly a well man. Aside from the psychological impact of having his head split open, his whole family tortured and killed and his home burned to the ground, Petit is not in great health. He's overweight and has heart problems. He was taking blood thinners at the time of the murders, which made him bleed like a stuck pig when the invaders beat him over the head with a baseball bat. He's not in the best of shape to be dealing with a young wife and a baby.

And how are they supporting themselves? As far as I know he stopped his medical practice after the murders. Is his wife the breadwinner? She's a photographer who takes pictures of events; that doesn't seem like a profession that would enable you to support a family of three. And once she's had the baby, what will happen? Will she work and he stay home to take care of the baby? I just wonder how all this is going to work out.

by Anonymousreply 9308/03/2013

He was tied to a post when he ran away. I think the post was still with him when he got out. His hands were still tied behind the post and his head was split open.

He had told his SIL that maybe he sometimes thinks maybe he should have went back and he might have died with them but maybe there might have been a slim chance. Im sure he lives with that every day but lets face it, nothing he could have done

by Anonymousreply 9408/03/2013

Double indemnity life insurance I Suppose.

by Anonymousreply 9508/07/2013

What must've gone on in that house for all those hours between the break-in and when the bank opened were really not covered that much in the documentary, but I guess they wouldn't know much. I do remember hearing how the mom cooked the killers breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 9608/07/2013

I don't give a rat's ass about how crazily religious the killer's adoptive family was. He raped an 11 year old girl and then poured bleach over and inside her genitals to destroy evidence, then set her on fire. That's a born psychopathic sadist. The only religion that could cause someone to enjoy that is one where they sacrifice humans.

Petit will sue the town over the police and fire department's response and get a bunch of money. The police claimed the fire department said the fire was not under control, so police refused to go inside. Cowardly police and fire department. They didn't have a bashed-in head like Petit did.

by Anonymousreply 9708/07/2013

Wouldn't the other inmates torture him...since he hurt a child? Is he in solitary?

by Anonymousreply 9808/07/2013

Can we just be honest about the father? Like most other husbands, he probably had a girlfriend long before his wife was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 9908/07/2013

Since he is a doctor, I never doubted he fooled around. They all do.

by Anonymousreply 10008/07/2013

I just watched this and it made me feel physically ill, despite being so well-done and respectful to the family (and the killers, to a degree). What sick monsters... and the stupid police and fire department's horrible, cowardly response to the sound of children screaming for their lives... my god. As sorry as I feel for him, part of me agrees with R85: Why didn't they kill Petit? I don't exactly get Jeffrey MacDonald vibes from this, but it does feel a bit "off" that he survived, and went on to start a new family, when his wife and children were so brutally attacked and murdered.

by Anonymousreply 10108/07/2013

[quote] I don't exactly get Jeffrey MacDonald vibes from this, but it does feel a bit "off" that he survived, and went on to start a new family, when his wife and children were so brutally attacked and murdered.

There is no textbook response to how one would lead his life after such a horrific trauma.

by Anonymousreply 10208/07/2013

Also, there's no way that the POS murderers wouldn't have implicated Dr. Petit if in fact he had any part in the murders. When I first heard about the murders, I did think it was suspicious that he survived when his wife and daughters were killed but that is clearly not the case here.

by Anonymousreply 10308/07/2013

He and his girlfriend were living together before they were married. She would accompany him to the trials. They wanted to sit together but were advised that the sight of him with his young blonde squeeze might not sit well with the jury. I'm sure it wouldn't. I think Petit "went on" with his life a lot sooner than most people think. A LOT sooner.

by Anonymousreply 10408/07/2013

I thought, at first, he had something to do with it. Too many past situations where the husband was the killer/arranged the killings.

He was seriously injured, no? I haven't watched the documentary.

If only the police went inside much much earlier.

by Anonymousreply 10508/07/2013

Pics

by Anonymousreply 10608/07/2013

At first I thought he had something to do with it too.

by Anonymousreply 10708/07/2013

After watching the documentary I don't think he had anything to do with it. The photos of his injuries showed he was brutalized. I don't know how the hell he made it next door.

Another thing, he remained very close to his wife's sister and parents. I don't think that would have happened if there was a hint of his involvement.

by Anonymousreply 10808/07/2013

Men always go on with hardly a hitch. They don't feel very deeply.

by Anonymousreply 10908/08/2013

If I were the new wife I would feel like a replacement, she looks so much like his first wife.

by Anonymousreply 11008/08/2013

I wonder how soon after the murders he had the new girlfriend? Men remarry faster, especially the older generation who need a live in maid.

by Anonymousreply 11108/08/2013

Very true r111. Heterosexual men of the older generation do not know how to cope with day-to-day living, such as shopping and household stuff the way younger men do. My father and my uncles would be totally fucking lost without their respective wives.

by Anonymousreply 11208/08/2013

I have married hetero male relatives in their 60's and 70's who couldn't make a pot of coffee or do a load of laundry. True that they often remarry quickly in order to have somebody take care of them.

by Anonymousreply 11408/09/2013

None of us know anything. It's conceivable that anyone who has gone through the trauma he has gone through is desperately searching for some kind of normalcy and peace of mind. Just because he has married and is expecting another child certainly doesn't mean he has "rebounded" or forgotten all that troubles him.

by Anonymousreply 11508/09/2013

Esquire did two long articles about William Petit. The most recent one dealt with his new life with his young bride. It seems he was kind of pushed toward her. A friend suggested he date her. He took the advice and one thing led to another and they ended up married. Seems his family and friends really wanted him to get involved with a woman and remarry. They figured that would be the best thing for him, to move on and start a new family with a much younger wife...in his middle fifties. I wonder if his new family will be a great source of happiness for him or just continuously remind him of the family that he lost. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 11608/09/2013

My aunt makes breakfast, lunch and dinner for her husband. She will not make a sandwich for him and leave it in the fridge, telling him to eat it when he feels like having lunch. No. She must be home at 12 noon, make his lunch and serve it to him. So she has to work her dr appointments and food shopping around his meal times. I hope she dies before he does so he can suffer without her.

by Anonymousreply 11708/09/2013

I just watched, but missed the very beginning. Did they ever explain why the husband was sleeping downstairs on the night of the home invasion? I don't think he had anything to do with it; I'm just curious.

by Anonymousreply 11808/18/2013

He was reading or watching tv in that room and dozed off on the couch. His wife probably didn't want to wake him and just went up to bed by herself. Long-time married couples do that all the time.

by Anonymousreply 11908/18/2013

Thanks, R119

by Anonymousreply 12008/18/2013

I'm curious about the doctor's new wife. It can't be fun hearing about the deaths of his family all the time, her husband is a martyr

by Anonymousreply 12108/30/2013

The downstairs outside door to the family room where the doctor had dozed off while watching television had been left unlocked, so the killers walked right in.

by Anonymousreply 12208/30/2013

I watched this last night and thoughts of it have stayed with me all day...

The whole crime was just brutal and senseless. And the way the family has been treated by the police has victimized them over and over again. All they wanted was some answers about the crime and the Cheshire police never responded to their letters. (Nor did the police participate in the documentary.)

The one killer keeps asking to be put to death immediately, but the state won't do, and will instead keep pushing the appeals, projected to cost the taxpayers about $7,000,000. And since CT has since abolished the death penalty, experts don't think the killers will ever be executed, even though the state provided for "grandfathering" them for execution.

The scenes with the older killer's brothers were moving. He was a cruel and sadistic asshole his whole life, and both of them have suffered so much from it.

Those poor girls were splashed with gasoline and burned alive. Their family didn't learn that fact until they heard it during the trial. The Aunt said she thought it should be a fact of her life that she knew "what it looked like at the end" for her sister and her nieces.

The Cheshire police should be ashamed of themselves. Their protocol apparently prevented them from entering the house and stopping the carnage, but their actions since it happened haven't been much better.

by Anonymousreply 12312/19/2013

I thought the smoke is what killed them...

by Anonymousreply 12412/19/2013

R124, I think they did die of smoke inhalation, but the aunt indicated that during the testimony she learned that the older daughter was actually on fire while she was still alive (not sure how that determination was made).

by Anonymousreply 12512/19/2013

The older daughter managed to get untied and tried to get out, but collapsed before she could escape. She was defintely alive in the flames. It's unclear whether the younger one died of smoke inhalation before she felt the flames. What a horrible way to die, trapped in a burning house.

Dr. Petit's young wife gave birth to their child last month, a boy who looks like his father. They named him William Petit III. Dr. Petit is a 57 year old man with a heart condition, a 21 years younger wife and a new baby. He's evidently starting ALL over, at his age and with his health problems. I wish him luck. I think he's going to need it.

by Anonymousreply 12612/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.