Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is the era of paying excessive attention to celebrities coming to an end?

Paying so much attention and respect to celebrities is a very American invention. Other nations never pay as much attention to celebrities or actors and actresses as Americans.

But since the prediction of the implosion of Hollywood, I think there will be less and less celebrity gossip. And since the Americans are no longer obsessing over celebs. The rest of the world won't either.

by Anonymousreply 2607/27/2013

AYK? Love of celebrities is at its highest point. But they're not the stars, they're the reality people or Kardashian-types.

by Anonymousreply 107/22/2013

I don't see that happening, especially not in the current reality TV environment.

by Anonymousreply 207/22/2013

So-called "reality" tv.

by Anonymousreply 307/22/2013

No, the paying of excessive attention to celebrities has become an industry.

It's called "reality TV", and it's taken the meta step of creating its own celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 407/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 507/22/2013

OP asks this question as the world goes apeshit over someone who shot out of the right hole and will never have to work hard in his life.

by Anonymousreply 607/22/2013

op=I eat paste

by Anonymousreply 707/22/2013

No, look at the current hoopla over the silly "royal birth". The voyeuristic celebrity obsessesive culture shows no sign of abating.

by Anonymousreply 807/22/2013

The royal birth has nothing to do with hollywood celebrity. And the latter is definitely not coming to an end. People will mindlessly follow these celebs and a worsening economy will increase the attention paid to these celebs.

by Anonymousreply 907/22/2013

Bite your tongue, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1007/23/2013

R9, vapid royals have a lot in common with vapid celebrities. They are the ultimate vapid celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 1107/23/2013

I think it should end. It has become boring.

by Anonymousreply 1207/24/2013

The OP is correct in that people are spending less MONEY on celebrities.

The days of celebrities opening a movie are most definitely over. Younger people may "love" a certain recording artist - but they not pay a dime to download their songs.

Even tv shows have very fragmented bases, ratings are very low in comparison to years ago.

That being said, the OP is wrong about the worship of celebrities being a US invention. Movie magazines and celebrity worship was huge in Europe, especially before and during the wars. The Museum of Modern Art has an exhibition of pre-war European film fan magazines.

by Anonymousreply 1307/24/2013

OP I don't think the obsession with celebs is ending. The internet is making them MORE accessible.

But, I do think people are a lot more cynical/questioning and outspoken about them/their PR than ever before. Blind items and personal affairs discussed openly on forums/Twitter, and even newspapers printing 'opinion' which isn't always favourable, etc.

They've been knocked off their golden perch, I would say although sycophancy will always be there too. If anything, the fact that celebrities are now more ridiculed publicly sort of means they have a place in popular culture for a long time to come.

by Anonymousreply 1407/24/2013

I think it's far more a personal experience and not a change in society.

This is a Choose Your Own Adventure book, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1507/24/2013

OP you do realize that we live in an age where a C-list celeb like Zachary Braff can finance his own films merely by asking the public for their spare change?

by Anonymousreply 1607/24/2013

Hey ladies, remember that you're on a gossip board right now.

by Anonymousreply 1707/24/2013

OP what world are you living in? If anything, people are MORE obsessed with celebs than ever before. We even have special segments, shows and even channels DEDICATED to obsessing over celebs and celeb "news"/gossip.

by Anonymousreply 1807/24/2013

Reality TV has changed celebrity forever. The Reality TV industry not only creates its own celebrities, it has taken the unprecedented step of paying them almost nothing!

It's no longer discussion of the upper crust or the notable, we pay attention to the puppets created for that purpose, and for profit.

by Anonymousreply 1907/24/2013

There may be fewer mega stars now, but social media now demands that any actor/musician/whatever that wants to grow a fanbase must keep providing a lot of their personal information to their fanbase on social media.

by Anonymousreply 2007/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 2107/27/2013

No. People are still involved with celebrities. I don't think people are as interested in politics anymore because it feels like the world is out of their control. You're in a red state or a blue state and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 2207/27/2013

Yes!!! It most certainly has been over for two years now!!!

by Anonymousreply 2307/27/2013

[quote]since the prediction of the implosion of Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 2407/27/2013

Other countries pay plenty of excessive attention to American celebrities; they just rarely have much of a celebrity culture of their own. And in Asia, it's actually commonplace to have a pretty strong celebrity culture, to the point where celebrity suicides commonly lead to strings of copycat deaths. I think you're indulging in wishful thinking, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2507/27/2013

OP, Visit Vegas and see where reality stars are paid thousands just to "host" a nightclub. This means getting papped and having a drink in the VIP section, perhaps just for a short time.

by Anonymousreply 2607/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!