Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sacha Baron Cohen Exits Freddie Mercury Biopic Over Creative Differences With Queen

BREAKING… EXCLUSIVE… Sacha Baron Cohen is just not seeing eye to eye with the remaining members of Queen who have script and director approval over that biopic on iconic lead singer Freddie Mercury. That film had Cohen circling the role but I’ve just learned he’s now pulled out. The reason is that the band wanted to make more of a PG movie about Queen while Cohen was counting on a gritty R-rated tell-all centered around the gifted gay singer. Given the astonishing physical resemblance, it’s hard to imagine anyone else playing Freddie but Sacha. Cohen had brought in Peter Morgan to write and various directors including David Fincher and Tom Hooper to develop the project for himself. However, none were approved by the band. Film is set at Sony Pictures and GK Films and Cohen has long been attached to play Mercury. But because of the dispute over ‘creative differences’ no formal offer could go out to Hooper who’d just worked with Sacha on Best Picture Oscar nominee Les Miserables. Graham King and Tim Headington are producing with Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal and Queen Films.

by Anonymousreply 15610/22/2013

I hope they stick with a real englishman...what about Micheal Fassbender (OK Irish) with some prosthetic teeth??

by Anonymousreply 107/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 207/22/2013

He can't sing, and he's a lousy actor. He can be tolerable in some supporting roles, but he's too unlikable to carry a film.

by Anonymousreply 307/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 407/22/2013

No one wants to see a PG version. There are already lots of Queen/Freddie Mercury documentaries that have put out the same boring information. If they want people to pay money at the theater to see this, it's going to have to be rated R

by Anonymousreply 507/22/2013

Did Queen object to Cohen doing it with a French accent?

by Anonymousreply 707/22/2013

Shouldn't she be spending time with her new grandson instead of provoking diva comedians?

by Anonymousreply 807/22/2013

Too bad, he would have been great. And it sounds like Cohen's idea of the film is much more interesting than the band's.

Brian May is a crazy control freak who sort of lives in his own world. He has lost the band a lot of money over the years with his craziness.

by Anonymousreply 907/22/2013

That said, as a replacement, I nominate that Russian guy from "Project Runway."

by Anonymousreply 1007/22/2013

No, it should be Russell Brand.

by Anonymousreply 1107/22/2013

I'm not a fan of Cohen, and am not sure he could capture Freddy, but he's totally right.

by Anonymousreply 1207/22/2013

Sacha's really too old to play Freddie except maybe in his final years. This would be a good role for an Anglo-Indian or Middle Eastern actor in his twenties or early thirties. I don't think he'd have to do his own singing (and Freddie's own singing voice though strong wasn't always pitch-perfect.)

by Anonymousreply 1307/22/2013

That's true, R13. He could be pitchy.

I think it could be that Oscar Isaac guy who's in the new Coen Brothers movie Inside Llewyn Davis.

by Anonymousreply 1407/22/2013

This is who should play Freddie Mercury:

by Anonymousreply 1507/22/2013

I refuse to watch Sacha Baron Cohen, so maybe I'll get to see this one after all.

by Anonymousreply 1607/23/2013

Sacha wants an Oscar DAMMIT!!!

by Anonymousreply 1707/23/2013

Mama, we killed that man,

He wanted to show Freddy givin' head,

Pulled our trigger, now it's dead.

by Anonymousreply 1807/23/2013

How bout an actual out gay man, and amazing performer, who can sing the hell out of any Queen song:

by Anonymousreply 1907/23/2013

[quote]That said, as a replacement, I nominate that Russian guy from "Project Runway."

YES! ;)

by Anonymousreply 2007/23/2013

[quote]Sacha Baron Cohen is just not seeing eye to eye with the remaining members of Queen

Oh boo- hoo. Well FUCK HIM.

Remember when the directors and producers used to call the shots? Not arrogant, egomaniacal actors with their "creative differences" bullshit? I really miss that.

by Anonymousreply 2107/23/2013

It sounds like it's the band that is the problem R21.

People that don't know a damn thing about making movies calling the shots. Yes, infinitely better.

by Anonymousreply 2207/23/2013

Queen was there, R22. SBC was not.

by Anonymousreply 2307/23/2013

I think we all know Freddie didn't lead a PG rated life. Who would want to watch that?

by Anonymousreply 2407/23/2013

Jim Parsons would be good.

by Anonymousreply 2507/23/2013

Maybe they're trying to honor Freddie by doing what they think HE would want.

Also, I've heard that PG movies are more marketable, so a lot of times it's the movie makers themselves who do everything they can to stay just shy of an R rating. A lot of teenagers are into older, classic rock.

by Anonymousreply 2607/23/2013

Christ, I though that tired asshole had faded away. Had no idea anyone was still casting him in films.

When will he just go the fuck away already? He's like a cold sore.

by Anonymousreply 2707/23/2013

[quote] astonishing physical resemblance

Come on.

by Anonymousreply 2807/23/2013

Why the hate for Sacha? He's a talented actor who is not afraid to take plenty of risks in his career -- and fallen on his face with some of them -- and here he is insisting that all aspects of Freddie Mercury's life be portrayed, not some PG, whitewashed version that the band wants. If anything, I respect Sacha even more now.

by Anonymousreply 2907/23/2013

R15, I agree that they should cast a talented Middle Eastern actor, to honor Freddie. How would his well-known visits to gay S/M places be handled? Would there be boycotts and protests, or would that bring pap attention to the film? Rock legends aren't known for their conservatism.

by Anonymousreply 3007/23/2013

Another vote for Adam Lambert. He's already auditioned for this on AI. He can do it.

by Anonymousreply 3107/23/2013

[quote]How would his well-known visits to gay S/M places be handled?

I have no idea. It probably can't be done.

by Anonymousreply 3207/23/2013

If Queen wants it PG how could any of that even be included?

It sounds like they want a Disney film.

by Anonymousreply 3307/23/2013

Who's gonna pay $10 for some watered-down "Gosh golly, wasn't Queen a nice talented band" nostalgia flick?

Cohen is on target here. The band isn't. Mercury was an excessive and unrepentant hedonist, it was part of the real story and without it, there is no interesting movie to see.

by Anonymousreply 3407/23/2013

R34, How would you compare Queen to Oliver Stone's biopic of the Doors (with a gay twist, of course?)

by Anonymousreply 3507/23/2013

John Abraham should play Freddie.

by Anonymousreply 3607/23/2013

Who the fuck is he?! He can't open a picture.

by Anonymousreply 3707/23/2013

I like Sacha Baron Cohen and he's probably right. His movie would be a lot more interesting, but I also understand the band. They were always private about their arguments and lives in general. But it's true what someone said earlier about Brian. He's a control freak and I doubt they'll ever come to any agreement with anyone about the film. It would be for the best anyway if there was no film.

by Anonymousreply 3807/23/2013

Is Jessica Pare busy? She'd totally nail it.

by Anonymousreply 3907/23/2013

R37 would cast Taylor Kitsch or Armie Hammer as FM.

by Anonymousreply 4007/23/2013

Maybe Roger could write an autobiography. That would be interesting. Brian's would be lame. He'd go on and on about badgers, orbs and stereo photography.

by Anonymousreply 4107/23/2013

He could have been okay, but his career suggests that he has no respect for anyone. He wants it to be more R or X-rated so he can make another Sacha Baron Cohen spectacle. He doesn't care about Freddie Mercury or Queen.

I think PG is a bit more looser than what it meant in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 4207/23/2013

Jeremy Kapone would be amazing. He's always been my first choice. He's a relatively unknown actor in America. He is gorgeous, with Mercury's quirkiness and swagger.

by Anonymousreply 4307/23/2013

One with Jeremy (badly) photoshopped into Freddie's long hair -

by Anonymousreply 4407/23/2013

Yes, that guy would be good, R43/44, esp if he could act like Freddie Mercury.

by Anonymousreply 4507/23/2013

I really want this film to get made. It's a tricky one though. Freddie was private and shy but also very funny, charming and outrageous. Who knows what he would want to share with the world now and who could play his many different sides convincingly?

Brian is very protective and I could see his point if the film heavily goes in the direction of Freddie's hedonism. Freddie's biggest love was music and performing even in the midst of the partying. He literally was recording music until he collapsed knowing he had very little time left.

I remember in a documentary Freddie legally left anything to do with his legacy and how he is portrayed to some manager whose name I can't remember. They guy said the one thing Freddie told him before his death was to never make him boring. I wonder if he is alive and has anything to do with this.

i would also like to see his relationship to Mary and Jim Hutton explored. I imagine Brian wants the music front and center as it should be but I don't think any one person was invovled in all aspects of his life and many of the people who were around for the crazy club times are probably dead.

whoever does play him needs a sense of humor and the ability to command a stage with flair.

by Anonymousreply 4607/23/2013

Shit R43/R4 - yes, yes, yes.

R45 - He's an actor AND singer.

Check this out:

by Anonymousreply 4707/23/2013

I agree 100% R46

by Anonymousreply 4807/23/2013

R10, do you know, last Saturday my friends and I watched the debut of Project Runway, and that was my first comment (after the comment about his package, natch), that he looks just like Freddie Mercury.

by Anonymousreply 4907/23/2013

I remember when Roger Daltrey was going to make the Keith Moon biopic. Moon died at 32. Mike Myers is 50.

by Anonymousreply 5007/23/2013

Oops, accidentally deleted "starring Mike Myers."

by Anonymousreply 5107/23/2013

[quote]Brian May is a crazy control freak who sort of lives in his own world. He has lost the band a lot of money over the years with his craziness.

Any stories?

by Anonymousreply 5207/23/2013

Adam Lambert could certainly deliver the goods as far as the singing goes, but who knows what kind of actor he is. And more importantly, Freddie Mercury was NOT a fem type. Adam revels in his girlish mannerisms. Best would be a hot, gay, butch, dynamite, singer/actor. .. Any real suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 5307/23/2013

Oh, please R47! .. That French guy you posted is a crooner. He could NEVER pump out a Queen song. Freddie had heft and belt in his voice. That little fairy only has the eyeliner!! .. Next!!

by Anonymousreply 5407/23/2013

R54, I'm not R47, but can Sacha sing at ALL? The French guy can sing AND he can act. And how do we know he can't pump out a queen song based on just that clip?

by Anonymousreply 5507/23/2013

Let it go, girls.

Like a Janis Joplin bio, or a real Judy Garland bio, these are all just pipe dreams.

There's a word - "inimitable" - that applies to all of these legendary performers, and for a reason. Who wants to watch a pale imitation when there is plenty of footage available of the real thing?

by Anonymousreply 5607/23/2013

"Cohen is on target here. The band isn't."

Cohen is right about the script, but that doesn't mean he should star. He's never carried a film as a dramatic actor and probably can't, because he only plays grotesques. Can he play a man who's brilliant, fascinating, flawed, and yet sympathetic? Probably not.

He also can't sing, and has two musical films to prove it. Let him be a producer.

by Anonymousreply 5707/23/2013

The Doors was a great film.

When I first heard about the casting, I thought Val Kilmer would be ridiculous. Then I saw him.. and the film. I was amazed.

If something like that cold be made, but about Freddie, it would be incredible.

by Anonymousreply 5807/23/2013

R56, I was treated to a performance of "Queen Nation," a Queen cover band here in Vegas. Several of my fellow audience members had seen the real band live, and said that it was an excellent imitation.

Many have heard the names of Queen, like Janis Joplin and Judy Garland, and want to know the truth behind the legend. Not everyone is into reading biographies either.

by Anonymousreply 5907/23/2013

[quote]Several of my fellow audience members had seen the real band live, and said that it was an excellent imitation.

Are they blind and deaf?

by Anonymousreply 6007/23/2013

How about this guy?

by Anonymousreply 6107/23/2013

Singing can be lip synched. Acting cannot.

by Anonymousreply 6207/23/2013

This will never happen.

The version Queen wants produced would be like a remake of Can't Stop the Music--but less gay and less amusing.

by Anonymousreply 6307/23/2013

"Many have heard the names of Queen, like Janis Joplin and Judy Garland, and want to know the truth behind the legend. Not everyone is into reading biographies either."

HA! What movie has ever told the truth about a legend?

by Anonymousreply 6407/23/2013

Freddie and Queen are my favorites ever but SBC is absolutely right. They want a Disneyfied version of Freddie? It's going to be a trainwreck. He was right to quit.

by Anonymousreply 6507/23/2013

R42 just doesn't get it and is likely quite old.

R52, Brian May has always had a reputation as being a control freak and someone who lives in his own version of reality. I don't know any specific stories, but I've heard this about him multiple times, from multiple sources.

by Anonymousreply 6607/23/2013

Was Mays' damage to the band before or after Freddie died?

by Anonymousreply 6707/23/2013

Nobody would watch a PG movie about Queen.

by Anonymousreply 6807/23/2013

[quote]What movie has ever told the truth about a legend?

The recent Liberace biopic was far from sanitised. It's probably still too soon to go that route for Freddie though; even if May permitted it.

Agree though that any script worth the name needs to look at FM's hedonism as intrinsic to his showmanship and touch of genius.

Possibly May thinks that the endless success of the Queen 'musical' would draw crowds for any related film, with no need to go near gay sex and untimely death.

For a successful grown man May does seem touchy. When he accepted some special Olivier award for the fact that his 'musical' hadn't closed, he whined and swore about its original critical reception. High praise had been his expectation and right.

by Anonymousreply 6907/24/2013

Heteros can't handle Freddie's sexuality. They won't be able to handle that he was versatile. They see men who are the receptive partners as weak and they don't like them.

About six years ago, I read an account by, I think, Freddie's longtime boyfriend Jim Hutton of his final days. I found it funny. Freddie was not taken care of by professionals instead his friends helped him. Days before he died they were moving him on the bed when they heard this loud tree-breaking sound, it was Freddie's bones.

My impression is Freddie like many gay men didn't have sex with another man until well into adulthood. I think he then dove in trying to make up for lost time.

by Anonymousreply 7007/24/2013

[quote]Heteros can't handle Freddie's sexuality. They won't be able to handle that he was versatile. They see men who are the receptive partners as weak and they don't like them.

Sometimes, it seems like people here are posting from 1975.

by Anonymousreply 7107/24/2013

He is not really a great actor and I find his movies and his humour a bit too low brow. Good he is not doing it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 7207/24/2013

R71 The dislike/hate by heterosexuals of men who are penetrated by other men is timeless. A thread about a Pennsylvania police chief who made a video with derogatory comments including "liberals who take it up the ass" was just created yesterday. Do you need to be reminded everyday?

by Anonymousreply 7307/24/2013

The thing is in the two documentaries about Queen and Freddie they totally acknowledge his deep dive into the debauchery and their own. I remember in one his manager relaying a story where he asked Freddie if he was being careful in light of the new gay plague and Freddie answered that he was going to continue to do anything and everything fuck the consequences. The band isn't trying to hide it but don't go into detail either. There really aren't a lot of details out there, more just a general knowledge of the fact.

It seems like he always kept that part separate from the band and even kept the fact that he was sick from them until they had all figured it out. Who would be the people left who could account for what went on with Freddie and his R (X) rated stuff?

Roger and Brian were mostly pissed about it because it was affecting their work and Freddie wanted to start playing "gay" dance music. Also Freddie picked up a guy during that time who latched onto him as a sort of mouthpiece for Freddie and he fucked up a lot of important connections with the label and radio. So in addition to the fact that it took their friend's life they have bad memories of the the time when Freddie was at his most depraved. Not that this fact should keep them from telling a full story. The problem probably amounts to what the main focus is and how explicit it is.

They are going to want music to remain in the forefront and with good cause. I think Freddie lived for the music and the sex and drugs were just what everyone was doing at the time. He just happen to die from the sex unlike his straight counterparts who died from the drugs. He never became a mess in public like Jim Morrison and others. The sheer extravagance of the parties he threw would be great in a film though.

by Anonymousreply 7407/24/2013

r53 I agree Adam would not be right for the part . He has the range ( probably the only one who does) but is not an actor not does he look like freddie and would probably run from the part if asked. They should go for acting and looks and dub the vocals.

What I don't get the constant remarks about his fem mannerisms. The makeup thing is femmy but he doesn't have gay voice or mannerisms except for effect sometimes. Not much different than Freddie. And did you ever see Freddie's outfits? It's not like he was trying to play it straight.

Watch an interview with Lambert. I always expect him to be swishy but he's not really. He's not butch, except maybe when singing rock but he's not fem much either. Lately he's not even doing the makeup thing or the weird clothes except for the dumb ear plugs. he's actually getting kind of hot as he ages

by Anonymousreply 7507/24/2013

I was thinking the same thing as I read that comment, r71.

by Anonymousreply 7607/24/2013

Wow, the guy @ R43 certainly has the perfect look to play Freddie. But have you ever heard of a Frenchman who could do a convincing British accent? Non!

by Anonymousreply 7707/24/2013

Michael Sheen and Johnny Depp have emerged as the favourites to replace Sacha Baron Cohen in the forthcoming biopic of Queen frontman Freddie Mercury.

Bookmakers Paddy Power have offered odds of 5-1 on Twilight star Sheen taking over the role, following the news that Baron Cohen has quit the project over creative differences with members of the band.

"Sheen is considered to be a front runner thanks to his track record of playing celebrities and other public figures on screen – including Tony Blair in The Queen and talk show host David Frost in Frost/Nixon.

The actor also portrayed football legend Brian Clough in The Damned United, as well as Kenneth Williams in the 2006 TV movie Fantabulosa.

However he is thought to face some strong competition from Depp – whose proven singing abilities in Sweeney Todd have made him a 6-1 shot to land the role.

Other contenders include Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman and James Franco at 10-1, while Jim Carrey is next in the betting at 12-1, followed by 14-1 hopeful Michael Fassbender and 16-1 candidates Dominic West and Andy Serkis."

by Anonymousreply 7807/24/2013

[quote]Other contenders include Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman and James Franco

GOOD GOD, what???

by Anonymousreply 7907/24/2013

[quote]Jim Carrey is next in the betting

I almost fainted, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight.

by Anonymousreply 8007/24/2013

Michael Sheen might do all right, based on his acting. Maybe he could surprise us and disappear into the role enough that we can forget his looks.

Fassbender might also be a contender, but I don't know that he'd be able to embody someone like Freddie so easily. There's also the fact that all the actors mentioned are white, but maybe it's too much to gripe about that too.

by Anonymousreply 8107/24/2013

Michael Sheen no way!

Fassbender I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 8207/24/2013

R81, perhaps Will Smith can do it.

by Anonymousreply 8307/24/2013

[quote]Michael Sheen no way! Fassbender I don't think so.

But you're ok with the others listed?

by Anonymousreply 8407/24/2013

Depp would have been good ten years ago. Ewan was convincing as a rock star in Velvet Goldmine but looks nothing like the guy. They are all too old if this movies is supposed to start when Freddie was in university up to when he was about 40?

by Anonymousreply 8507/24/2013

No, I'm not. They all seem like hideous choices, R84

by Anonymousreply 8607/24/2013

as R53 said, "Best would be a hot, gay, butch, dynamite, singer/actor"

I can't think of anyone like that that is a known actor

Maybe they could find some fantastic unknown?

by Anonymousreply 8707/24/2013

R61, I remember seeing that performance on Rock Star INXS. What ever happened to that voice with the strange name?

by Anonymousreply 8807/24/2013

MiG in Queen musical

by Anonymousreply 8907/25/2013

Totally naive question here, how can a band member dictate how the life of another person is portrayed? Does it have to do with music rights or something? Do they want to make a musical biopic and so need rights to the music of Queen?

by Anonymousreply 9007/25/2013

[quote]Totally naive question here, how can a band member dictate how the life of another person is portrayed? Does it have to do with music rights or something? Do they want to make a musical biopic and so need rights to the music of Queen?

If you want to use Queen's music, you have to have Brian May on board.

by Anonymousreply 9107/25/2013

Sheen is a very good actor - he'd transform, and embody FM's stage physicality - but facially and age-wise? Doubtful.

Depp is too cool for school, walks through roles, and doesn't transform. He might just rise to FM's exuberance, but I can't see it on past form.

R43's link looks eerily like FM. Not sure any remaining accent would be a problem, as FM's voice had non-Brit inflections.

by Anonymousreply 9207/25/2013

WTF is a "Paddy Power?" R78? None of those actors is even remotely right for the role....or even being considered. Johnny Depp is 50 fucking years old.

by Anonymousreply 9307/25/2013

[quote}The Doors was a great film.

I just threw up in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 9407/25/2013

Adam Lambert (pictured tonight at a party with Ty Taylor from "Vintage Trouble") would be a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 9507/25/2013

But can Adam act? Doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 9607/25/2013

Please no Johnny. So sick of him!

by Anonymousreply 9707/25/2013

Pre-Idol, Adam acted in theater--but I think only musicals. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 9807/25/2013

[quote]The Doors was a great film. *gulp* I just threw up in my mouth.

I'm not R58, but I liked it too. I know this may be news to you R94, but we all like different things. Don't be such a fucking snob.

by Anonymousreply 9907/25/2013

Dear God I hate to say this, but... oh GOD I can't stand to admit it but...

James Franco would be better than Cohen. AAAAARGH I'MSOSICKOFTHATGODDAMNPRETENTIOUSFAMEWHORE... but he can be a decent actor when he isn't being too cool for school, he would bring the gay angle, and his looks aren't terribly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10007/25/2013

[quote]Please no Johnny. So sick of him!

ET had said that Johnny is next in line to play Freddie Mercury. I would rather have Depp than that stupid unfunny Sacha Baron who can't act or sing.

Didn't Sacha wanted to make the film into a dark comedy?

by Anonymousreply 10107/25/2013

If George Michaels could act, I think he would be perfect for the role.

by Anonymousreply 10207/25/2013

R75 said " I agree Adam Lambert would not be right for the part . He has the range ( probably the only one who does) but is not an actor."

I can think of a dozen or more singers who have the range and can act. Adam Lambert's voice is too high pitched and femme.

by Anonymousreply 10307/25/2013

Why does Hollywood always insist on using a celeb, especially since it's been proven lately that Depp's salary doesn't equal fab box office? A biopic of Queen should be the draw, along with a top director.

by Anonymousreply 10407/25/2013

They will never find someone who looks like Freddie, has as much charisma, can really act and can sing! INFUCKINPOSSIBLE!

I'm a huge Adam fan but he can only do the singing, performing and charisma part but not the acting.

They need a really good actor who's charismatic and can resemble Freddie. The singing will have to be dubbed. I can't see this movie happening and it being any good.

by Anonymousreply 10507/25/2013

Well,R104,they can hire an anonymous but that doesn`t mean it will necessarily work out.

by Anonymousreply 10607/25/2013

A discussion of casting from the UK.

I think Hollywood will want to de-gay Freddie. There are a lot of straights in America who did not become Queen fans until "Bohemian Rhapsody" was included in the 1992 comedy "Wayne's World". There are millions of American heteroes who refuse to accept that a rock god like Freddie could be gay (nevermind that he did videos where he danced around in drag).

by Anonymousreply 10707/25/2013

It will be a travesty if they make a "degayed" Freddie. It really will be a huge insult to all gays and to the truth.

by Anonymousreply 10807/25/2013

They won't and can't degay Freddie, don't be ridiculous. Maybe in small details like don't give male relationships a lot of room, but c'mon, no one degayed legendarily gay performers who died of fucking AIDS since ... they started to die from AIDS, pretty much, and I don't think people who'd be dumb enough to buy that even go to see movies, they just continue watching their Wayne's World VHS.

by Anonymousreply 10907/25/2013

Coming from an extremely conservative, even old-fashioned background, where TV was restricted, and having never gone to the movies until I went to college, everyone I knew still viewed rock stars as totally wild and "out there." No one has ever considered musicians, other than those in the Christian music scene, as anything but "adventurous." Making Freddie straight is like portraying The Doors as totally monogamous.

by Anonymousreply 11007/25/2013

I hate James Franco, too, but... I think he would be better than Johnny Depp, Michael Sheen and Fassbender (?)

by Anonymousreply 11107/25/2013

What about Henry Cavill? If he has the balls to do it, that is.

by Anonymousreply 11207/25/2013

r109. They can skip over his death AIDS because the movie is set to span from the time the band formed up to the Live Aid concert at Wembley.

It's funny though even here people are trying to say they need a butch actor to play him but look at his interviews and he was very cheeky and on stage he encompassed the full range of butch rock to light opera and flamboyant fem mannerisms. Queen was hard rock, pop, musical theater, a touch of funk. They were often dismissed in the press for not being real rockers because they were all over the place genre wise.

That's why Paul Rogers fell flat when he fronted Queen. He had a great voice and good range but could only sing in one style and didn't even attempt many songs. It's a beast of a catalogue to sing, many can sing one song well but not others. His stage presence was lacking too. Queen needs flamboyance and bravado.

r103, I don't doubt you can find a dozen great singers with big ranges but both Freddie and Adam are freaks of nature when it comes to their range and ability to sing in many different styles. Hard rock, light opera, funk, pop with a huge sound or very soft. Not to mention commanding an audience which Lambert is really good at but Freddie was insane in that regard.

Adam is technically a better singer though I prefer Freddie's voice, tone and phrasing. Ask any trained singer and they will agree that you don't find these voices more than once or twice in a generation. You may like other voices better but that's not the same having the same range, control and power.

by Anonymousreply 11307/25/2013

I'm sorry but I just can't imagine ANY actor prowling, prancing and striding across the stage - even for only a few seconds of screen time - with any of Freddie's bravura.

Musicians are often bad at being actors but actors are lousy at being musicians. Someone playing Freddie would need the energy of a Jolson or a Merman, he was a force of nature on stage. A god.

[italic]James Franco??!![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 11407/25/2013

Hey! if Diana Ross can play Billie Holiday, then I can play Freddie Mercury...bitches!

by Anonymousreply 11507/26/2013

Freddie is my all time favorite performer. I always felt SBC was not the correct choice. Too old. Too tall. Can't sing. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 11607/26/2013

Degaying Freddie would be like hiring Cary Grant to play Cole Porter and excluding any hint of homosexuality. Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 11707/26/2013

There is only one option. Daniel Day Lewis will have to go full on method and de-age himself 30 years. I imagine many men would be lining up to help him research what it was like to be Freddie.

by Anonymousreply 11807/26/2013

bad link. i'll try again

by Anonymousreply 11907/26/2013

"It's not like he was trying to play it straight"

Fred playing it straight...

by Anonymousreply 12007/26/2013

Brian May should back off - maybe his PG version of the Queen story would deal with the band's decision to play gigs in Sun City...

by Anonymousreply 12107/26/2013

Too tall? I thought Freddie was freakishly tall too.

by Anonymousreply 12207/26/2013

Maybe they should forget the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 12307/26/2013

Freddie was 5'9".

by Anonymousreply 12407/26/2013

I really hope they make the film, maybe with an unknown actor. Don't think I have no problem with a respectful Brian May pleasing version. Sounds better than an edgy Ali G version anyway.

by Anonymousreply 12507/26/2013

Wait, A problem, I don't think I have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 12607/26/2013

[quote]"It's not like he was trying to play it straight"

Darling, it's not like he was trying to play it too gay, either.

by Anonymousreply 12707/26/2013

DL, I just don't understand. There are 2 kinds of singers in the world. Those that appeal to the Christian music scene followers, like Donny Osmond originally, and some of Country, and the others that represent total rebellion, in whatever form.

Michael Jackson started out as the cute kid with talent in a nice, conservative, singing family. Then he went solo, and got constant pap attention for being talented but "out there."

My roomie once said that shows like Idol would run into trouble being old-fashioned, all ages appeal talent contests, and then trying to promote the winner as a star, but not going with the less profitable Country/wholesome appeal.

Freddie represented the ultimate in "out there;" accepted because he was so talented. Lady Gaga is a poor imitation of "shock" publicity.

The whole point of this biopic must be how Freddie one-upped being on the edge, mixing up "creativity" in his dress and lifestyle, on and off the stage.

by Anonymousreply 12807/26/2013

Man some of you are real retards. R128 and R125 especially.

by Anonymousreply 12907/26/2013

[quote]Freddie represented the ultimate in "out there;" accepted because he was so talented. Lady Gaga is a poor imitation of "shock" publicity.

I think he was accepted because he was being who he genuinely was. I didn't feel a sense of being put on by him. Had he not been talented, I don't think he would have been criticized for his manner and appearance (beyond the usual fringe types who criticized him anyway). Gaga is a put on.

by Anonymousreply 13007/26/2013

R129, How can you call a total stranger "a retard," just because you may disagree with his opinion? You don't even have the intelligence of skill to offer one of your own.

by Anonymousreply 13107/26/2013

R131, is idiot better? You are just rambling nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 13207/26/2013

If Mika could act as well as he can sing then he could do it.

by Anonymousreply 13307/26/2013

R129, R132, Do you honestly feel much better about yourself when you put others down?

by Anonymousreply 13407/26/2013

R133, Do we know whether or not Mika can act? How strong is his accent?

by Anonymousreply 13507/26/2013

Adam's voice is ridiculous and not in a good way. Just because he can screech up where only dogs can hear doesn't mean he should. He has a limited range and no lower range anyway so he won't do at all.

by Anonymousreply 13607/27/2013

Jim Carrey is next in the betting

I almost fainted, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight.

R80 This may be wrong but I kinda want to see an old school in living color Jim Carrey Fire Marshal Bill type Freddie Mercury character.

He can prance across the stage to another one bites the dust while eating a twinkie.

by Anonymousreply 13707/27/2013

Jim Carrey can be an excellent dramatic actor, R137, and did a terrific job playing gay in "I Love You Philip Morris".

However, like Depp, he's decades too fucking old, and has no sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 13807/28/2013

Oscar Isaac's 5'9". He's the one.

by Anonymousreply 13907/28/2013

Good for him, the remaining Queen members obviously want a bland, whitewash of their story, de-gaying a lot of Freddie's excesses - to sell their music all over again to the kids who have not got them yet.

by Anonymousreply 14007/28/2013

Do we know what Roger Taylor and John Deacon want or are we only hearing about May's bowdlerized version of Queen? Does May have more influence because he was (along with Freddy) the principal songwriter?

by Anonymousreply 14107/28/2013

[quote]Don't think I have no problem with a respectful Brian May pleasing version. Sounds better than an edgy Ali G version anyway.

You sound stupid.

by Anonymousreply 14207/28/2013

Fuck the actors! Who's the director?

This story needs a Derek Jarman or a Ken Russell.

by Anonymousreply 14307/29/2013

[bold]Duets featuring Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury are finally set to be officially released, three decades after they were recorded.[/bold]

Mercury’s former bandmates, Brian May and Roger Taylor, are working on tracks featuring the two dead superstars and have promised ‘something for folks to hear’ in two months.

Guitarist May described working on the sessions this month as: ‘Exciting, challenging, emotionally taxing. But cool.’

by Anonymousreply 14407/29/2013

Yes, a Julien Temple feature documentary would in all likelihood be way better than some mediocre recreation.

His Dr Feelgood film used location, archive and talking heads - and great music - to bring the time alive brilliantly. A drama would have been dead from the word go.

JT has a real feel for the rock era (right generation). His film about Detroit was great too.

by Anonymousreply 14507/29/2013

[quote]I'm sorry but I just can't imagine ANY actor prowling, prancing and striding across the stage - even for only a few seconds of screen time - with any of Freddie's bravura

Me, either. That is why is will be a disaster. Unless they can find some amazing unknown.

by Anonymousreply 14607/29/2013

So glad Sacha is out. There is no way he could pull it off.

Rami Malek should at least be auditioned. He was in the Ben Stiller "Night at the Muesum" movies and "The Pacific" miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 14708/03/2013

Surely you jest!

by Anonymousreply 14809/24/2013

i love Daniel and have been impressed with his post HP work...but...he's practically a true little person. How tall was Freddie?

Nothing to do with the movie but Queen just played their first gig with Adam Lambert in the US at the Iheart fest. This song blew me away. Did freddie ever sing it live? I can't remember.

The guy from fun. came out and sang Somebody to Love next. He was cute but the voice was pretty bad. I thought he was compared to freddie vocally?

by Anonymousreply 14909/24/2013

[quote]‘creative differences’

Cohen probably would've guaranteed an NC-17 rating

by Anonymousreply 15009/24/2013

forgot to embed

by Anonymousreply 15109/24/2013

Fun. and Queen

by Anonymousreply 15209/24/2013

With which queen did he have creative differences?

Band? Monarch? Some Theatreland homo?

by Anonymousreply 15309/24/2013

R149, yeah Freddie sang it live on Magic tour, 1986. Their last tour. It's on Live at Wembley and Live in Budapest DVDs. And I'm sure you can find different versions on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 15409/24/2013

[R149] Freddie sang it right before he left the stage for good. Budapest 1986 & Wembley. Prefer Freddie's live version. Sang it with pure passion that he was known for. Word is he was already ill with HIV though no one knew.

by Anonymousreply 15509/24/2013

Brian May talks about the SB Cohen situation in this interview. They think they found an actor and director.

Roger Taylor let it slip that Ben Wishaw is their choice.

"Speaking on the BBC's One Show, Taylor remarked that the actor the band would prefer had the initials "BW", and when asked if that meant Whishaw, he replied: "Well, we hope so."

Also Brian says they will probably do a small tour in the US with Adam Lambert.

by Anonymousreply 15610/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!