Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How and why did Brad Pitt's career become what it became?

I mean it must have been his looks and luck. I can't see any other reason.

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2013

He came up in a much more forgiving environment, in the 90s when movie stars and superagents ruled Hollywood. Back then he was allowed to get away with year after year of high-profile flops.

By the time Hollywood started dropping actors who failed to draw reliably, he was entrenched as a "star" and was super-famous due to his private life.

He's still a shitty actor, regardless of his brilliant career maneuvering.

by Anonymousreply 107/22/2013

You're pretty much right. After five years of middling success in L.A., he was cast in a small role (barely 10 minutes of screen time) as the hitchhiking hustler who fucks Geena Davis senseless in "Thelma & Louise," which became an unexpected hit. He used that success to land the lead in "A River Runs Through It," which was a success both commercially and critically (and garnered him cred since Robert Redford directed it), and then cemented his place in fame when he was cast opposite Tammy Cruise in "Interview With the Vampire."

by Anonymousreply 207/22/2013

Brad married big stars...two of them and he hung out with other big movie stars. It get's attention.

by Anonymousreply 307/22/2013

He's a pretty good actor if you ask me.

Did they make him have to horrible bags under his eyes for WW Zed or is that really how he looks now??

I remember when he was on Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 407/22/2013

[quote]Did they make him have to horrible bags under his eyes for WW Zed or is that really how he looks now??

He's pushing 50. Unless he tracked down Tammy Cruise's Brazilian plastic surgeon, there's only so much you can do with eye bags.

by Anonymousreply 507/22/2013

I just got the feeling they were trying to downplay his looks and make him all haggard and worn out.

by Anonymousreply 607/22/2013

Didn't George Clooney go through at least 3 auditions competing for the same role of the hustler?

by Anonymousreply 707/22/2013

In the 90s, Hollywood was more disposed to men of mixed race.

by Anonymousreply 807/22/2013

lord give it up op troll...

by Anonymousreply 907/22/2013

Which troll is OP, R9?

by Anonymousreply 1007/22/2013

The "how did "blank" ever get a career?" troll.

by Anonymousreply 1107/22/2013

Pitt was a newcomer, good-looking with nice abs, and he looked just fine between Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis in Thelma & Louise, which was a big, big movie at the time. He got a lot of buzz.

by Anonymousreply 1207/23/2013

Pitt has more screen charisma than just about any other actor in recent memory, especially in those first few films of his - Thelma, River Runs Through It, Legends of the Fall, and Seven. He jumped off the screen. I don't think he's as good looking as everyone gives him credit for, and he's a mediocre actor at best, but he's always had that It factor.

by Anonymousreply 1307/23/2013

Pitt looked like a wet dream in "River." But, for me, this movie was a twofer because I have loved Tom Skerritt for a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 1407/23/2013

Islamic tradition. Something to do with the heat.

by Anonymousreply 1507/23/2013

For a slightly different generation, Tom Skerritt is the Aleve guy, the one toiling on the construction site with 24-hour back pain.

It's been years since I've seen him in film or tv, but when I do, I immediately wonder how his back is doing.

by Anonymousreply 1607/23/2013

Keanu Reeves always had a lot of charisma and he didn't even need perfect abs.

by Anonymousreply 1707/24/2013

Terrible actor. Mumbles constantly. Always seems baked. Zero acting skill. Can't do comedy. Can't do drama. A media driven career. Lottery winners are astounded at his luck.

by Anonymousreply 1807/24/2013

He's a longtime manipulator. He uses people, then dumps them when they aren't useful, anymore.

He calculates his moves so that he will appeal to liberals in the industry. He chooses films that will get him nominations; despite his lack of skills he succeeds. Almost like he made a pact with the devil, kind of thing.

Jmo: He's got the ideal beard now that he's with another master manipulator.

by Anonymousreply 1907/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 2007/24/2013

Sometimes he's okay in the films, like playing the devil in that Anthony Hopkins-film, and sometimes just embarrassingly bad, like in Twelve Monkeys. He wouldn't be anywhere without his looks. He was super hot in Thelma & Louise, and well, now that I think of it he was actually hot and really good in Inteview with a Vampire.

I guess what mostly annoys about him, just like with George Clooney, is that many times when their acting skills are just not enough it's their looks that are supposed to save them. Ocean's-films are in my eyes example of that, lazy acting where "Hollywood royalty" just are what they are without even trying.

by Anonymousreply 2107/24/2013

Was that exactly what the original Ocean film was all about?

by Anonymousreply 2207/24/2013

I can stomach him in the roles where he plays dumb like "Burn After Reading" and "Inglourios Basterds". Probably because he comes off as believable, given that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed in real life.

by Anonymousreply 2307/24/2013

of course it's looks, luck and using people. He's not a good actor. He also used to be a massive pothead aka lazy. Now he looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 2407/24/2013

r19, how do you know this? You sound like an insider.

by Anonymousreply 2507/25/2013

Cheap PR tactics and dating women who like to get publicity from selling their private lives, rather than being good actors. I think him and The Leg paved the way for people like Affleck/Garner, Witherspoon, Berry, Holmes. Shoving your kids in front of the pap lenses for favourable PR seems to be the the latest sick craze in maintaining your career.

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!