Since 1995

Eydie Gorme

Why is this bitch regarded as a joke?

Her voice is pretty fucking fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 8308/12/2013

Who says she's regarded as a joke?

by Anonymousreply 107/22/2013

[quote]regarded as a joke

Link please. Who is making this "regarded as a joke" claim?

by Anonymousreply 207/22/2013

You're a joke for suggestion she is a joke!

by Anonymousreply 307/22/2013

Steve and Eydie were great entertainers. They were never a joke. They did show up frequently and became somewhat predictable. For awhile they were like the fat lady, it ain't over until Steve and Eydie sing.

by Anonymousreply 407/22/2013

Eydie had an incredibly clear voice and great range.

She retired in 2009, but husband Steve Lawrence still performs alone.

Eydie's solo album "Don't Go to Strangers" is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 507/22/2013

Well, I remember this one time when she was a joke...

by Anonymousreply 607/22/2013

Some people regard her as a joke because she has headlined in Las Vegas, the U.S. capital of bad taste, for many years.

by Anonymousreply 707/22/2013

She definitely had a unique voice that was all hers. I used to like them on the Carol Burnett Show. One time Steve was in a skit and he had swim trunks on, he leaned back and his ball sack was quite visible.

by Anonymousreply 807/22/2013

About 12 years ago, I saw Steve & Eydie live on stage. They were extremely entertaining. His voice was in better shape than hers, but she was still good. What amazed me were the DIRTY JOKES they told! Very funny, but it was like your parents up there telling them

by Anonymousreply 907/22/2013

Didn't someone say not to long ago that she has some illness? Does anyone know anything about that?

by Anonymousreply 1007/22/2013

She had one of the most fantastic voices ever. Her interpretation of music and lyrics could not be surpassed. And her singing in Spanish was very romantic and beautiful. No joke....a singing goddess in her prime.

by Anonymousreply 1107/22/2013

She was a bit Bronxy at times, but even at that had more class than someone who'd call a woman a bitch while demanding respect for her.

by Anonymousreply 1207/22/2013

In my late teens I had Eydie records while my friends were listening to the Beetles.

by Anonymousreply 1407/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 1507/22/2013

What's more Steve almost killed the goose that laid the golden egg (which isn't to say that he's a golden egg) by having an affair with Sally Ann Howes, who turned 83 two days ago. Evidently he has a thing for older women. Happy birthday, Sally!

by Anonymousreply 1607/22/2013

this is the shit

by Anonymousreply 1707/22/2013

R17, you beat me to it. I love the arrangement, he sounds like a frog but she sounds radiant.

by Anonymousreply 1807/22/2013

Of course they were considered a joke. If you were listening to the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, or whatever rock and roll, they were the epitome glitzy, plastic culture.

by Anonymousreply 1907/22/2013

R17 brilliant....

by Anonymousreply 2007/22/2013

Was Sally Ann Always fucking her leading men? She had an affair with Terry Carter from Kwamina, too.

p.s. Steve is 78, not that much younger than her.

by Anonymousreply 2107/22/2013

Eydie was no Connie Francis.

I think she should have done more solo work.

by Anonymousreply 2207/22/2013

Eydie had an unbelievable voice. But she and Steve became cheesy obnoxious Vegas mainstays too quickly, and embraced middle age too readily.

by Anonymousreply 2307/22/2013

She is a great muscian - fantastic time and natural swing. Also - in her day she was a real hottie. And as a spehardic jew - quite unique on the scene. The arrangements Don Costa did for her were Eydie specific and very hard for other singers to do well. Was she deep or complicated? Was she Streisand - no. But - she was delightful and always delivered.

by Anonymousreply 2407/22/2013

They don't make 'em like Eydie anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2507/22/2013

I was at a dance...

by Anonymousreply 2607/22/2013

I think she knocked it out of the park with her rendition of "What Did I Have"...learned to appreciate the rest of her work, but love this...

by Anonymousreply 2707/22/2013

R19, in the sixties, adults were not listening to The Beatles or the Rolling Stones. They were listening to Herb Alpert & the TJB, Stan Getz, Hello Dolly, Camelot, Barbra Streisand, and, yes, Steve & Eydie.

"She was a bit Bronxy at times"

Eydie Gorme: Edith Garmezano from the GCC, Bronx

Steve Lawrence: Sidney Liebowitz from Brooklyn (don't know where in Brklyn)

by Anonymousreply 2807/22/2013

The end is a killer:

by Anonymousreply 2907/22/2013

Eydie had a lot of talent, too little taste

by Anonymousreply 3007/22/2013

[quote]Why is this bitch regarded as a joke?

I think you can blame it on the bossa nova, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3107/22/2013

Eydie Gorme and Rosemary Clooney were both born in 1928. Clooney changed with the time, singing more jazz, working with the best arrangers and hiring the top musicians available. She also booked concerts in the most respected venues, like Carnegie Hall & continued to release albums every year until she died.

Eydie Gorme had a better voice at least at the end of her career, but made few of the adjustments Clooney did. Also, Rosie Clooney had a famous nephew, George, which helped a little in reaching a younger audience...or at least kept her name in newspapers/Internet.

by Anonymousreply 3207/22/2013

R25 The definitive version of that song.

by Anonymousreply 3307/22/2013

She was a joke for the way she said Oliver.."Olivah"

by Anonymousreply 3407/22/2013

I love her version of 'Johnny One Note'.

by Anonymousreply 3507/22/2013

I swear I'll cut anybody who disses Eydie.

by Anonymousreply 3607/22/2013

Me too. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 3707/22/2013

Ah, so here's the yearly DL Eydie Gorme thead.

Can we now argue about whether or not Eydie turned down Funny Girl on Broadway before it was offered to Barbra?

by Anonymousreply 3807/22/2013

Eydie Gorme is so talented, there should be a quarterly Eydie Gorme thread!

by Anonymousreply 3907/22/2013

It was Streisand from the start.

Gorme was approached if she wanted to "replace" Streisand after Barbra left, but she refused.

by Anonymousreply 4007/22/2013

I agree, r39. Gorme is shamefully neglected. One of the greatest female singers.

She holds that 'money note' at r35's longer than even Garland.

by Anonymousreply 4107/22/2013

"It was Streisand from the start."

Uh, no.

Not even close.

[quote]Ray Stark had commissioned an authorized biography of Brice, based on taped recollections she had dictated, but was unhappy with the result. It eventually cost him $50,000 to stop publication of The Fabulous Fanny, as it had been titled by the author. Stark then turned to Ben Hecht to write the screenplay for a biopic, but neither Hecht nor the ten writers who succeeded him were able to produce a version that satisfied Stark. Finally, Isobel Lennart submitted My Man, which pleased both Stark and Columbia Pictures executives, who offered Stark $400,000 plus a percentage of the gross for the property.

[quote]After reading the screenplay, Mary Martin contacted Stark and proposed it be adapted for a stage musical. Stark discussed the possibility with producer David Merrick, who suggested Jule Styne and Stephen Sondheim compose the score. Sondheim told Styne, "I don't want to do the life of Fanny Brice with Mary Martin. She's not Jewish. You need someone ethnic for the part." Shortly after, Martin lost interest in the project and backed out.

[quote]Merrick discussed the project with Jerome Robbins, who gave the screenplay to Anne Bancroft. She agreed to play Brice if she could handle the score. Merrick suggested Styne collaborate with Dorothy Fields, but the composer was not interested. He went to Palm Beach, Florida for a month and composed music he thought Bancroft would be able to sing. While he was there, he met Bob Merrill, and he played the five melodies he already had written for him. Merrill agreed to write lyrics for them; these included "Who Are You Now?" and "The Music That Makes Me Dance." Styne was happy with the results and the two men completed the rest of the score, then flew to Los Angeles to play it for Stark, Robbins, and Bancroft, who was at odds with Merrill because of a fight the two had years before. She listened to the score, then stated, "I want no part of this. It's not for me."

[quote]With Bancroft out of the picture, Eydie Gormé was considered, but she agreed to play Brice only if her husband Steve Lawrence was cast as Nick Arnstein. Since they thought he was wrong for the role, Stark and Robbins approached Carol Burnett, who said, "I'd love to do it but what you need is a Jewish girl." With options running out, Styne thought Barbra Streisand, whom he remembered from I Can Get It for You Wholesale, would be perfect. She was performing at the Bon Soir in Greenwich Village and Styne urged Robbins to see her. He was impressed and asked her to audition. Styne later recalled, "She looked awful ... All her clothes were out of thrift shops. I saw Fran Stark staring at her, obvious distaste on her face." Despite his wife's objections, Stark hired Streisand on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 4207/23/2013

From Wiki:

Gormé and Lawrence had two sons, David, a composer, and Michael, who died suddenly from ventricular fibrillation resulting from an undiagnosed heart condition in 1986, at the age of 23. Michael was an assistant editor for a television show at the time of his death and was apparently healthy despite a previous diagnosis of slight arrhythmia.

Gormé and Lawrence were in Atlanta, Georgia at the time of his death, having performed at the Fox Theater the night before. Upon learning of the tragedy, Frank Sinatra, a friend, sent his private plane to pick up the couple so that they could fly to New York to meet their other son, David, who was attending school at the time. Following their son's death, the couple took a year off before touring again.

by Anonymousreply 4307/23/2013

r42: "Eydie Gorme was considered" is not even close to being offered the role and a contract to play Fanny Brice in Funny Girl.

But then, I think we have this debate with each other every year on the new Eydie thread.

by Anonymousreply 4407/23/2013

Seems that Gorme's recordings of "If He Walked into My Life" and "What Did I Have I Don't Have" were shortly after Lawrence's affair with Howes.

by Anonymousreply 4507/23/2013

R45 - I guess that explains why she sang the sh*t out of them, and everything else on her "Don't Go To Strangers" LP. Linda Ronstadt did a note-by-note imitation of Eydie's "What's New." In liner notes for Judy Garland boxset, Aretha Franklin said she thought Eydie was a very underrated vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 4607/23/2013

Eydie also sang the theme tune to the notorious Lucy bomb "Life With Lucy"

by Anonymousreply 4707/23/2013

Certainly no joke, OP, as others have said. She had one of the best voices around for quite a few years. I always loved her.

Below is one of the best she did: "What Did I Have I Don't Have Now?"

by Anonymousreply 4807/23/2013

Eydie and Neil Sedaka are cousins, but I don't know if they've ever collaborated musically.

Here's a vintage photo of them at an event.

by Anonymousreply 4907/23/2013

"What's more Steve almost killed the goose that laid the golden egg (which isn't to say that he's a golden egg) by having an affair with Sally Ann Howes..."

I did everything I could to keep Steve from straying. I even renamed my vagina 'Eaty Gourmet', just for him.

by Anonymousreply 5007/23/2013

Does that mean Sedaka is a Sephardic Jewish name?

Now that I think of it, it doesn't sound Italian or (Christian) Spanish.

It was probably originally spelled something like Tzedaka.

by Anonymousreply 5107/23/2013

Not a bitch. And not stupid. A fabulous voice and style from a different time, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 5207/23/2013

Steve & Eydie were regular players on the game show "Tattletales", hosted by Miss Bert Convy.

by Anonymousreply 5307/23/2013

Eydie was a whiz on Password too. She graduated from HS at age 15.

To the Rosemary Clooney lover:

Rosie had the personal drama to publicize her way into a singing career that was talking lyrics for the last decade of it. She was on a jazz label but she never sang jazz -- jazz labels are where old pop singers end up. Her personal challenges -- nervous breakdowns, drug addiction -- told in two autobiographies, helped her later career. Other than the death of her son, Eydie's life was much calmer.

by Anonymousreply 5407/23/2013

Eydie speaks fluent Italian and Spanish and used to work as a translator at the UN.

Her Spanish-language recordings made her a bigger star abroad than she was in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 5507/23/2013

I am a bit young for Eydie Gorme, but I saw this "boffo' medley on the Carol Burnett Show when I was a kid and was blown away by her.

They seem a bit like the Sweeney Sisters on SNL, except that Gorme shows almost everything she can do and that is a lot. Her impeccable timing and rhythm were mentioned upthread. She is musical to her bones. Her voice is pretty at times, blaring at others, her range and power and modulation are freakishly fine, without a sweat.

She does not have Streisand's very special tone yet her range is greater, she is more versatile and her diction is perfect without being ridiculous. It is a joy to listen to her sing, not an effort. She hits an E5 as easily as she softens and sensitizes her vocal tone. Very impressive.

Her husband, Vegas and sequins make her pretty square. But listen to her blend and timing with the limited Burnett in this complicated bit. Eydie zings right through it, with about 50 personal vocal highpoints. A master class in professionalism and talent. Her performance speaks for itself. Superb.

by Anonymousreply 5607/23/2013

Talented but too showbizzy.

by Anonymousreply 5707/23/2013

And she had a HUGE number #1 hit with Blame It on the Bossa Nova in the middle of Beatlemania!

And IIRC it quickly followed hubbie Steve's HUGE number #1 hit Go Away Little Girl.

Between the two of them, they were riding the heights of the pop charts for several months in the mid-60s.

So they were, at least briefly, very popular with teenagers, hard as it may be to believe now.

by Anonymousreply 5807/23/2013

I could not get over Eydie's pipes. Even as a kid, it was obvious she was special. In "What Did I Have" I remember just being stunned by her performance. She was definitely one of the greats. Never cared for the Bossa Nova. But I loved Go Away Little Girl by Stevie.

by Anonymousreply 5907/23/2013

Eydie lets loose on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson from 1966. "I Wanna Be Around." She was such a master at building a song.

by Anonymousreply 6007/23/2013

I think one reason she never got the respect she deserved was because (GOLDEN RAINBOW aside) she and Steve were never NYC and Broadway - they were Vegas thru and thru. It's a snob thing - When they came to New York, they played (and sold-out) the 'declasse' Westbury Music Hall instead of Lincoln Center.

by Anonymousreply 6107/23/2013

[quote]When they came to New York, they played (and sold-out) the 'declasse' Westbury Music Hall instead of Lincoln Center.

Oh that's funny because at work today a woman was going on and on about seeing Neil Sedaka at the Westbury Music Fair. I remember going there to see The Association (!!) when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 6207/23/2013

All I know is that she sang "You Need Hands" to a bunch of Viet Nam amputees with no sense of irony whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 6307/23/2013

Crystal Gayle is also an underrated vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 6407/23/2013

Rosemary Clooney had a nervous breakdown after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June of 1968.

It's been rumored that they had an affair while she campaigned for him for POTUS that year.

She revealed in her book that husband Jose Ferrer cheated on her during their honeymoon with his mistress, for whom he'd booked a room in the same hotel.

by Anonymousreply 6507/24/2013

I've never, ever heard anyone who loves music regard Eydie Gorme as a joke. It's news to me, that anyone would think that way.

Performers act differently with different audiences. In Las Vegas, one sees and hears things that won't be seen in less sophisticated venues. That's why the cussing and other words is used in bigger cities.

by Anonymousreply 6607/24/2013

Sinatra said on numerous occasions that he believed Steve Lawrence and Vic Damone were better singers than himself.

by Anonymousreply 6707/24/2013

Where, r65? There was NO rumor of an "affair" between Rosemary Clooney and Bobby Kennedy, no way. You're nuts or one of her relatives.

In the late 1960s, Rosemary Clooney weight 175 pounds plus. She was suffering from mental illness long before Kennedy was assassinated. Even if she claimed differently.

by Anonymousreply 6807/24/2013

Nonsense . . . Rosemary Clooney was still thin and glamorous in the 1960's. It wasn't until many years later that she gained weight.

She campaigned for RFK vigorously in 1968 and looked fit and trim. It was his assassination that pushed her over the edge, mentally.

Here's an LP cover shot of her from the mid-1960's.

by Anonymousreply 6907/24/2013

Rosie looks overweight in this 1960s clip.

Anyway, it's ridiculous to suggest that Clooney's personal troubles made her more successful than Gorme in the 1980s and 1990s.

Clooney's success was due to the fact that her interpretive talent grew in her later years, even as her instrument declined.

by Anonymousreply 7007/24/2013

Clooney's affair was with Nelson Riddle.

And as for THIS:

That's why the cussing and other words is used in bigger cities

Heck, even us hayseeds knows how to talk gooder than that.

by Anonymousreply 7107/26/2013

Rosemary Clooney wasn't fit & trim since 1959.

by Anonymousreply 7207/26/2013

I love her Spanish album w/ Trio Los Panchos. My mom used to listen to it when I was a child....

by Anonymousreply 7307/26/2013

RIP Eydie.

by Anonymousreply 7408/10/2013

If Steve & Eydie had done a few all-Sondheim concerts & albums they'd be much more highly regarded.

by Anonymousreply 7508/10/2013

Sad about Eydie. I'm glad they have her on Youtube now, all those old performances where she completely and totally brought the house down. How many performers can you name who had the power she had? Even as a little gay boy sitting on my mother's couch I knew she was special. A Star.

by Anonymousreply 7608/11/2013

I only knew her from her guest appearances on Carol Burnett and other variety shows. I knew she was great even when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 7708/11/2013

She was a great singer. But she let herself become a joke in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 7808/11/2013

I haven't seen her on any of the talk shows lately.

by Anonymousreply 7908/11/2013

I don't understand why she & Steve became a "joke". Were they just 'hopelessly square'?

by Anonymousreply 8008/11/2013

Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee and Rosemary Clooney adjusted to the times by hiring first-rate musicians and using new arrangements. They also played place like Carnegie Hall as well as nightclubs. And Bennett and Lee could sing in jazz style.

Steve & Eydie never changed their act. Worse they became totally associated with Vegas. Someone posted above about attempting Sondheim. That's what Peggy Lee did on occasion. It seemed like Steve and Eydie were stuck forever in the 60s and 70s.

by Anonymousreply 8108/12/2013

r81, I'm sure Steve and Eydie were crying all the way to the bank, and playing to bigger and more lucrative audiences than Lee and Clooney were in their old age. (Bennett effectively re-positioned himself in mainstream media, so maybe he was making more than Steve and Eydie. Mainstream media forgot Lee and Clooney.)

by Anonymousreply 8208/12/2013

Eydie is now touring with Frank, Dean, and Sammy. Red Buttons is opening for them.

by Anonymousreply 8308/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!