Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why did Jake Gylleenhaal fade into obscurity?

I mean BrokeBack Mountain was it for him. He never made another hit after that. I honestly think it has to do with the fact that he is a mediocre actor and kind of weird looking (him and his sister both resemble weasels). But ya, he's never to be seen or heard from again. He's faded entirely. What are your thoughts on this?

by Anonymousreply 6807/24/2013

I never understand the fascination with him or Anderson Cooper.

I could see him 'acting' in every frame of Broke Back Mountain.

Heather, however, was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 107/21/2013

Zodiac was passable. He should fly out of the closet, hook up with that Dr Spock actor in a movie and be true to himself and who he is.

by Anonymousreply 207/21/2013

According to IMDB, he has four projects.

by Anonymousreply 307/21/2013

Jake Gyllenhaal quits 'Into The Woods'

18 July 2013 3:34 PM, PDT Los Angeles, July 19: Actor Jake Gyllenhaal has left the big screen adaptation of stage musical "Into The Woods" due to scheduling conflicts.

The 32-year-old actor, who was due to star alongside Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt in the film, backed out as his independent movie "Nightcrawler" got the green signal from studio executives, reports

Gyllenhaal will produce and star in the thriller, which focuses on a small-time criminal in Los Angeles.

The shooting for "Nightcrawler" is slated to begin in October, the same time when Gyllenhaal was due to start work on "Into The Woods".

by Anonymousreply 407/21/2013

Love and Other Drugs was a big movie.

by Anonymousreply 507/21/2013

He is overreaching.

I think he has no clue what type he really is so he constantly chooses the wrong projects which he hopes will catapult him into ever-lasting super stardom ala Clooney, Hanks or Pitt. They do a film every couple of years and they're good.

He should take a cue from Maggie. While she isn't a super star by any means and she isn't a classic beauty she at least gets praised for the work she does do and has worked consistently for years. I suspect she'll even win an Oscar before he does.

While Maggie caught flack because of her looks as Bruce Wayne's love interest in the Batman franchise, no one was complaining about her acting because she was solid enough to carry the role.

by Anonymousreply 607/21/2013

He's an okay actor, but he's too weird looking and doesn't have much presence. He was able to shine in Brokeback Mountain because he didn't have to carry the movie and he had tremendous chemistry with Heath Ledger. He almost never has that kind of chemistry with female costars.

He's dating a swimsuit model now. He seems to be following in the Leonardo Dicaprio school of bearding. Date models who are insanely hot and people will just think you're a womanizer who isn't interested in settling down.

by Anonymousreply 707/21/2013

I think some actors/actresses fade into obscurity just due to bad luck. Matter of fact fame in general is just a question of good luck and being at the right place at the right time.

by Anonymousreply 807/21/2013

"Jake Gyllenhaal quits 'Into The Woods'

Jake will never really quit the woods.

by Anonymousreply 907/21/2013

Jake left after learning that the lyrics "the woods are just trees, the trees are just wood" were not about his character's wooden stage presence.

When he realized the role would require singing and an actual facial expression, he suddenly remembered a scheduling conflict....

by Anonymousreply 1007/21/2013

Gyllenhaal is probably too old for Quinto, but they would make a cute couple.

He should go back to quirky indies. Donnie Darko is why people liked him, even before Brokeback.

by Anonymousreply 1107/21/2013

Who cares why he faded away. Just be glad his weird looking self is gone

by Anonymousreply 1207/21/2013

R11 - Agree about Donnie Darko.

by Anonymousreply 1307/21/2013

Maggie is a young character actress, she does supporting roles and leads, and has a much more consistent career than her brother. I don't know if she chose that career path or if it was forced on her because of her looks, but she's in a solid position.

He doesn't have the looks or the charisma to be a movie star, but I think he'd do well in a TV series. He's okay looking, and if he's a lightweight then he's likeable. People won't go out of their way to see him in a theater, but they could stand to see him on TV every week.

by Anonymousreply 1407/21/2013

Here is Jake Gyllenhaal’s powerhouse rendition of “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” (in drag) on SNL.

He missed his calling.

by Anonymousreply 1507/21/2013

He's not just weird looking r12. There's definitely something off about him.

by Anonymousreply 1707/21/2013

Sorry, kids, but the truth is in the numbers.

Jake has consistently underdelivered time and time again. His sister Maggie is a quirky character actress. No one expects her to pull big numbers, and she doesn't. Jake was positioned as a star, a leading man, a hot property, and most of his projects turn to shit.

Look at the cost vs box office gross numbers for JARHEAD, ZODIAC, LOVE AND OTHER DRUGS (R5, it was an enormous disappointment for all involved). Forget about PRINCE OF PERSIA.

Jake is box office poison. A mainstream, middlebrow talent who fails to connect with audiences and simply doesn't interest people outside of DL. Regardless of who he's dating.

by Anonymousreply 1807/21/2013

Pulling out of a high profile musical with A+++ co-stars to act in an indie drama about a small time crook in L.A. -- oh, SO fresh and original (sarcasm intended) -- is supremely stupid.

Having said that, he's done some good films that have earned critical praise -- Zodiac, Source Code, End of Watch -- but there's something about him that isn't connecting with audiences -- despite those critical hozannas (especially for Zodiac, which some critics treated as the second coming), audiences stayed away.

by Anonymousreply 1907/21/2013

Jake is very, very good in offbeat roles - Zodiac, The Good Girl, Donnie Darko, Lovely & Amazing, etc. He is not, however, leading-man material. When he does try to be a "movie star" he falls flat.

I always felt that his charm was in being the antithesis of a Hollywood star. He is captivating as an anti-star.

by Anonymousreply 2007/21/2013

I agree with you [R21].

Trying to be a star included not only taking role that weren't suitable for him. The bearding that goes along with it has been so blatant it turned off a lot of people. Along with the bearding he seemed to drop all the quirky aspects. In other words, it made him just another dime a dozen young man trying to make it to the top/

by Anonymousreply 2107/21/2013

I broke him.

by Anonymousreply 2207/21/2013

He hasn't really tried to do anything big and commercial except Prince of Persia, and you can probably blame a bad choice of material there as much as anything else. I guess you could say Source Code was a commercial attempt, but it was still a high concept that was probably a bit complicated for the masses. He's one of those actors who is boyish, and he's having to transition to 30something man, and it's been a bit rocky. What works in a teen or 20something won't work when you hit your 30's. I also think people are right that he's probably better suited to quirky material.

But I read that he was considered for Batman before Bale got the role, and if that's true, he'll probably be considered again for the part now that they're going forward with a Superman/Batman. A role like that could open things up for him at the box office. It's not like Christian Bale, Robert Downey Jr., and Johnny Depp were considered stars until they hit with the right mainstream film. They were all quirky indie stars with cult followings.

by Anonymousreply 2307/21/2013

Rendition was complete crap-for-the-masses. Prince of Persia was dreck. Love and Other Drugs was frau garbage as well. Gyllenhall has made plenty of "mainstream" stinkers.

I would also argue that Bale, Downey, and Depp were all much more compelling when they were doing offbeat films (Laurel Canyon, Chaplin, Scissorhands, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 2407/21/2013

Wasn't SOURCE CODE financially successful?

Anyway, I agree about Maggie being the better actor. I've never seen her turn in a bad performance. However, that might be because she doesn't take or isn't given roles that are beyond her ability. That's Jake's biggest problem.

by Anonymousreply 2507/21/2013

Yes, r25: on a $32 million budget (and probably another $30 million on promotion), it grossed $54.7 million in the U.S.; it did better in foreign markets, pulling in $92.6 million, for a final tally of $147 million.

by Anonymousreply 2607/21/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2707/21/2013

I would love to discuss him more, but it's everyone else who is shunning him away.

by Anonymousreply 2807/21/2013

End of Watch was excellent, and Jake was excellent in it.

by Anonymousreply 2907/21/2013

Prince of Persia really was the final nail in his career coffin. Big budget blockbuster he was supposed to carry as the lead, but stunk worse than death. Coming on the heels of the underperformance of Love and Other Drugs and the Reese breakup and you saw the big downward slide in action.

by Anonymousreply 3007/21/2013

Should re-phrase that to say, Prince of Persia was the final nail in his A-List career coffin. He certainly has been making smaller films since.

by Anonymousreply 3107/21/2013

If I were part of his team, I would recommend a starring role on a cable drama designed around him. Maybe a period drama.

by Anonymousreply 3207/21/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3307/21/2013

His worst crime was If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet. He was alright in it (just a supporting role), but the play was a piece of shit.

It was very easy to get a comp to the show for a good deal of the run.

by Anonymousreply 3407/21/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3507/21/2013

He wants to be able to spend more time with Austin and the twins.

What is it about gay men adopting twins? Bomer, Harris, Jakie...

by Anonymousreply 3607/21/2013

Harris used a surrogate and if IVF was involved, that increases the chance of having twins.

by Anonymousreply 3707/21/2013

Please! He's been packaged as a modern day Dondi.

That shit works in your teens and twenties, but he'd have to focus on short-bus roles to keep that fire going.

by Anonymousreply 3807/21/2013

I agree with everyone that says he should be on television. I wouldn't be surprised if he views that as a last resort.

He was at his best in Donnie Darko and The Good Girl. I will even admit I loved him in Bubble Boy. Of course, in all those roles he wasn't playing a balanced person by any stretch of the imagination. He plays quirky very well.

I saw Source Code but not at the theater. It was a good movie and he was fine but you literally could have stuck anyone in that role. It was driven by plot, not character.

Finally, some gossip for you. I had heard and read he could be a pain to work with. However, a character actress friend of mine worked with him for a few days on a movie he did. She said one day he could be extremely nice and funny. The next day he could be a complete asshole and she has been acting (you've probably seen her even if you don't know her name) for about 15 years and she has never had that kind of reaction towards anyone.

by Anonymousreply 3907/22/2013

Bomer's kids are adopted?

Well that's a crime as far as I'm concerned. His genes need to be passed on.

by Anonymousreply 4007/22/2013

His last two films, Source Code and End of Watch, were profitable and he was quite good in both. The simple fact is, he doesn't have the pretty boy looks of Pitt, Depp or Reeves when they were his age. He doesn't have the charm of Clooney, Will Smith, or even Ben Affleck. And he doesn't have the likability or Everyman charm of Hanks, Ford, or Damon (at his age). And he isn't the better actor of any actor I just listed.

He'll be doing an FX show in three years.

by Anonymousreply 4107/22/2013

There may be a reason why he plays quirky and offbeat so well.

And there's (was) so much teen angst about him, I just don't see him growing into adult roles.

by Anonymousreply 4207/22/2013

He is only 32, so I think it might be a little early to count him out. I mean all he really needs is one good role to propel him into super stardom. or maybe a good director that will work with him on multiple projects. I mean that is kind of what worked for Channing Tatum. He is a white male so there won't be a lack of roles and also he has been in the business for so long so there won't be a lack of connections.

But I do think he should stay away from super hero movies and franchises for a while. I think those movies are quite risky and could end up hurting ones career.

by Anonymousreply 4307/22/2013

He is ugly looking in JARHEAD, that shaved head look did not suit him - apart from dancing naked.

PRINCE OF PERSIA was a colossal bomb wasnt it? I did not even want to look at it on tv.

by Anonymousreply 4407/22/2013

He's not a really good actor. Heath held the bar very high in Brokeback Mountain. Perhaps Jake's even worse at auditions?

by Anonymousreply 4507/22/2013

Just another one that Hollywood tried to make happen. He'll have a long time career, but he's not a blockbuster actor, nor will he carry many big films.

They tried to make him a 'hot' star, when really like most young men .... Jake had a nice body, but otherwise was no looker. Now that he's in his 30's, he'd look silly trying to be the 'stud'. He can't carry that off. He also isn't the most personable of actors either and if you can't carry some tabloid press, you're not going to hit big. (He's no Kardashian ....ha ha)

by Anonymousreply 4607/22/2013

Jake has other priorities in his life now, such as raising his young brood.

by Anonymousreply 4707/22/2013

It's only on DataLounge that I hear people say he's not good looking. All my friends, male and female, have always thought he's attractive. If he didn't have that, he would have fallen further.

I do agree he's not out for the count, though. He's only 32, and that's still young for a leading man, he could easily turn it around. The question is if he will, not if he can.

by Anonymousreply 4807/22/2013

Totally agree with R46, hollywood tried hard to promote Jake as the next big thing. They gave him his chances but couldn't capitalize because he doesn't have an "it" factor for mainstrean success. Its best if he sticks to Indie films and maybe he'll have success with a breakout performance.

by Anonymousreply 5007/22/2013

Robert Downey, Jr. didn't become a viable leading man until he was almost 40.

by Anonymousreply 5107/22/2013

He never recovered from Heath's death

by Anonymousreply 5207/22/2013

R52 could be right. Also, he's not mainstream enough. Too quirky. He's going to be a Johnny Depp / Robert Downey Jr with possibly a little less talent even though he's cuter than Bobby

by Anonymousreply 5307/22/2013

However these guys went for the quirky/bombastic, big time. He's still playing it way too safe. Perhaps he has some anger he needs to express? He just seems dead inside, to be honest.

He was fine as a lost kid. He's not a kid anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5407/22/2013

Blaming his lacklustre career on Heath's death? Please.

by Anonymousreply 5507/22/2013

R14 Lily Rabe has been edging Maggie out for a while now.

by Anonymousreply 5607/22/2013

He did the kiss of death in Hollywood... his best known role was of a gay man. Before you say things have changed, it is 2013, etc. yes, things have changed..... but Jake played a gay BOTTOM. They have not changed that much.

by Anonymousreply 5707/22/2013

There goes Michael Douglas' career.

by Anonymousreply 5807/22/2013

I think overall Jake Gyllenhaal is a terrific actor with great charisma. Although I would wish he would lighten himself up a little with the projects he pick to star in. There's nothing wrong at picking a project for just box-office appear alone. I think he's taking himself a little "too seriously" as an actor and there are moments in his performances in which I do see the acting. He's very good but he has yet to achieve greatness. And his films does make money mainly because his best movies are so low budget they can't help but make money even if they rarely make over a hundred million dollars at the box-office here in the US. I always got the feeling Jake is more popular overseas then here in America. But I've noticed Jake isn't the type of film star that makes me rush to the movie theater to see his films when they first open. I have no problem waiting for his films come out on DVD months later to watch them. Hell I don't have a problem waiting until they're broadcast on HBO or Showtime. While Jake is certainly a A-list film star he's not one of the types that makes me see him ss larger then life. That could be a blessing and a curse wrapped up in one.

by Anonymousreply 5907/22/2013

He hasn't had a memorable movie or a memorable role in years.

by Anonymousreply 6007/22/2013

It's his name.

Nobody can spell his surname.

by Anonymousreply 6107/22/2013

You may be on to something r61.

by Anonymousreply 6207/22/2013

Well, I like him. I think he's hot, and my niece and nephews enjoyed Prince of Persia. It was Disney dreck, but I just checked, and it made more than $300 million, which isn't exactly a flop. Mostly in foreign markets, but hey, everything is doing better in foreign markets.

I do question a lot of his film choices. I liked Source Code and Zodiac and some of the others, but generally, they're boring choices. I remember when Brokeback Mountain first came out, and it made me cry and I really liked it.

I think I watched it two or three times back then. Haven't seen it in years. When I watched it recently, it was unintentionally, laughably bad. I thought Heath Ledger and Jake had great chemistry, they did excellent acting, but the movie itself was just not that good.

I think that's Jake's problem. He seems like he overthinks his choices, and he's deliberately boring. I definitely think he's more talented and better looking than Channing Taint 'Em.

by Anonymousreply 6307/22/2013

I saw him on a flight a few weeks ago.

Biggest dick ever (and not in a good way).

by Anonymousreply 6407/22/2013

What was he doing [R64].

by Anonymousreply 6507/24/2013

R15 really nails it. Jake's calling IS comedy. It's his absolute forte.

His straight (ahem) acting is decent, but nothing stellar (tbh, I watch Brokeback Mountain over again and Heath Ledger's Ozzy accent keeps creeping through. I sometimes feel on rewatch Jake played the more dedicated part after all, even though Heath got all the adulation).

Bubble Boy (comedy) and Donnie Darko were Jake's standout movies imo. He's good at weird but he's even better at comedy and yes, I think he missed his true calling. I could watch him in drag all day long.

by Anonymousreply 6607/24/2013

What are you talking about, I'm still here. What do you think of my acting skills there ?

by Anonymousreply 6707/24/2013

I know Ent Lawyer's an idiot but he ran a blind that strongly hinted Jake recently. That the subject was close to coming out and that his latest girlfriend (DiDonato) had just thrown the towel in.

Nothing happened, of course, but interesting that suddenly DiDonato is right off the scene and this new model gets drafted in straight away.

I actually feel really bad for him if he is closeted. To get to 32 and still have to mess about bearding. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 6807/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!