Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What really killed Moonlighting...

Bert Viola.

He is one of the most annoying characters ever created for television.

People question whether Maddie and Dave should have gotten together (that worked) what didn't work was tearing them apart and letting that whiny little mess take over the show.

I took the advice of DL and watched the first 3 seasons...GREAT.

Then Bert Viola joined the cast....he was like the Thor of the 80's he could suck the life out of any scene he was in.

by Anonymousreply 4409/18/2013

I actually liked Curtis Armstrong. Moonlighting suffered because Bruce and Cybill were battling, plus Cybill's pregnancy derailed things. Moreover, the show was running out of creative ideas.

by Anonymousreply 107/21/2013

I disagree with R1 and agree with OP.

I could not abide that little twerp. They gave him too much screen time.

Bruce and Cybill were not battling onscreen, they could still play the love scenes very well.

Whatever the source of their chemistry it did work when they were together.

by Anonymousreply 207/21/2013

No it was because when Cybil got pregnant, David & Maddie were separated by having her stay with her parents for much of that seaason, thereby removing all of the show's the banter and totally changing the tone of the show.

To top it all off, during the last season, Maddie was back at Blue Moon and it was as if the previous season never existed and as if David & Maddie had never been involved.

The last scene of the last episode of the series pretty much summed it all up: they fucked it up.

by Anonymousreply 307/21/2013

R2 - Bruce and Cybill had epic battles.

by Anonymousreply 407/21/2013

I heard Willis was an insufferable prick with seriously inflated ego.

by Anonymousreply 507/21/2013

Like all TV shows, Moonlight's time was up but to watch it crash and burn so spectacularly was incredible to watch. It had nothing to do with Bert. Having Maddie get married, having Dave and Maddie sleep together after a slapping contest. It was just terrible and made us feel stupid for feeling involved with their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 607/21/2013

Mark Harmon killed it.

by Anonymousreply 707/21/2013

I'm still working, dammnit!

by Anonymousreply 807/21/2013

Loved the show and thought it was highly creative, clever, and well written.

Like all shows where the two leads who've played cat and mouse and finally consummate their passion, it kinda flounders and becomes directionless.

I agree that Cybil's pregnancy, her marrying some dud, David eventually sleeping with her sister, seemed to separate and distance the characters when they should have been longing for each other to eventually get back together.

by Anonymousreply 907/21/2013

The show lasted five seasons. That's a long time. At its peak, the show was among the most innovative of its time.

by Anonymousreply 1007/21/2013

poor Viola

by Anonymousreply 1107/21/2013

Love Agnes Hate Bert.

by Anonymousreply 1207/21/2013

Making Maddie and David a couple killed it. That had killed dozens of shows. That said, Bert Viola was a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 1307/21/2013

Lots of things killed it. Giving more time to Bert and Agnes. Cybil's pregnancy and Bruce's emerging movie career meant they took a lot of time off from the show. Maddie and David getting together killed the great sexual tension. And it didn't help that the whole world knew that in reality Bruce and Cybil hated each other, so it was hard to watch them making out knowing they must have been loathing it. But when it started I loved it and I had a huge crush on Bruce Willis.

by Anonymousreply 1407/21/2013

He was Booger, right?

by Anonymousreply 1507/21/2013

Yep r15 he was booger. I bet there's a whole bunch of guys who think that's his real name.

by Anonymousreply 1607/21/2013

R13 I disagree. It was not a mistake to make them a couple, it was a mistake to separate them and focus on Bert.

by Anonymousreply 1707/21/2013

Mildred Krebs did the same thing on Remington became slapstick. I loved Moonlighting until the fat Cybil was totally dumb to have her marry that guy.

by Anonymousreply 1807/21/2013

Cybill's speech as to why she married the guy over David made her seem totally unworthy of him.

by Anonymousreply 2007/22/2013

I think she was unworthy of him (David).

by Anonymousreply 2107/22/2013

Remington Steele was on METV a year or so ago. The leads were good and had some good chemistry, but the show veered off into large action adventure plots with big explosions and chases etc. The show should have stuck with true mystery cases where and spent more time on Nick and Nora type banter rather try to go for big explosive adventure (I suppose it was the A Team inspired 80s.)

by Anonymousreply 2207/22/2013

"Atomic Shakespeare" was a great episode.

But then so was "North By North Depesto".

It died because of the pregnancy, the characters sleeping together, then being apart, then ... oh god, it just all went down hill.

by Anonymousreply 2307/22/2013

R14 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 2407/22/2013

Cybill killed it. She never understood her own talent. She's a great "straight man". She wanted to be Lucy when she was Ethel. She was Mary Tyler Moore but wanted to be Rhoda and Sue Ann. She wanted to be the comedienne, the one who gets the laughs.

She killed her own show because she wanted the laughs that Baranski was getting.

She's not funny. Her reactions are great though.

by Anonymousreply 2507/22/2013

Cybill's yeasty pussy killed it!

by Anonymousreply 2607/22/2013

Cybill had a fantastic car.

by Anonymousreply 2707/22/2013

As has been said previously, Cybill killed the show. She slowed production way down - to the point that characters like Bert Viola (admittedly unbearable) had to be introduced and supporting characters like Ms. Depesto had to be given larger roles than originally intended.

The A.D.'s on the show were desperate to keep her on the set once they were filming. If, god forbid, she went back to her trailer, it was at least 2 hours before she could film again. Television production can't hold up a schedule with that kind of self-indulgence.

by Anonymousreply 2807/22/2013

R28 I did not know about that.

She was funny at times, but she was a great re-actress.

by Anonymousreply 2907/23/2013

R25 I think you are right about Cybill's own show. She was great on that show at sending up her glamourous image but she should have seen it was better for the show's own good to continue to let Christine be the scene stealer. Cybill had the name to headline a show and she should have let that be enough. When the show stopped the network gave Christine a couple of vehicles but while she is awesome as the steal stealer, she didn't have the celebrity or name like Cybill to draw ratings and launch a show.

Interesting to see in this interview with Megan Mullally last week she says when she was pitched the Karen Walker role in Will and Grace she thought it was very similar to Christine's character on Cybill and she didn't know how she was going to make it different considering how good Christine was in that role.

by Anonymousreply 3007/23/2013

Also continuing from above I don't think Cybill killed Moonlighting by wanting to be the "Lucy". That harmed her own show. On Moonlighting her character was always the serious one. I think being pregnant with twins was always going to cause problems. Add to that Bruce Willis wanting to move on and the really bad decisions from the producers to have Cybill's character pregnant and married to a virtual stranger, it seemed one thing after another saw it veering off from the early quality seasons.

by Anonymousreply 3107/23/2013

The show lasted five seasons. That's long enough.

by Anonymousreply 3207/23/2013

The episodes where Bert and Agnes took the lead roles were basically unwatchable ... I remember as a teenager who had loved the show initially, just being really turned off. Who wanted to watch a sexy mystery about two bumbling, unattractive putzes? I gave up eventually and no longer watched by the time the show really went off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 3307/23/2013

One of my favorite episodes was the one where Dana Delany played David's ex.

by Anonymousreply 3407/23/2013

Cybill's own show always sucked -- don't compare it to Moonlighting. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 3507/23/2013

[quote]Also continuing from above I don't think Cybill killed Moonlighting by wanting to be the "Lucy".

Bruce Willis was getting more attention than she was so she wanted more laugh lines, more physical comedy situations, etc. She's not a team player or generous performer.

by Anonymousreply 3607/23/2013

I just watched the episode where she came back married...

BAD writing.

What a stupid plot turn.

by Anonymousreply 3707/25/2013

Cybill's autobiography is 99 cents on Kindle.

by Anonymousreply 3807/25/2013

Maybe if she paid me the 99 cents...

by Anonymousreply 3907/26/2013

Just got to Season 4 and the opening was great including Bert talking to the camera about how the audience did not like him. (you are right) but losing the baby was a total cop out.

by Anonymousreply 4008/06/2013

We hated you Bert, we hated you...even on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 4109/18/2013

The episode where David finds out Maddie's father has been cheating on her mother is among the best. Cybill also gives good commentary.

by Anonymousreply 4209/18/2013

Imagine how much cock you could have pulled if you were as gorge as me?

by Anonymousreply 4309/18/2013

Completely agree with OP

by Anonymousreply 4409/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!