Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It's good to be the king?: Belgium swears in Philippe amid tensions

BRUSSELS — Belgium swore in Philippe as its new king on Sunday after his father Albert II abdicated, subduing for a day questions about his ability to bring a divided country together and the power of the monarchy.

Philippe, 53, took his oath in Belgium's three official languages - Dutch, French and German - two-and-a-half weeks after King Albert, 79, announced that he would abdicate after 20 years on the throne.

Albert could be seen mouthing the words "Vive le roi" (Long live the king) at the swearing-in ceremony in parliament.

by Anonymousreply 907/24/2013

The new queen is really attractive and they have beautiful children.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2013

Belgium is a weird country

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2013

But they make great chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2013

And cheese!

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2013

I'm fascinated by monarchies that have managed to survive and thrive into the 21st century. I think these institutions are the reason Europe has always, and continues to, lead the world's culture. Bravo to Belgium, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Monaco, Lichtenstein and the United Kingdom!

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2013

what about us?

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2013

R5, why so Eurocentric? What about the monarchies of Bahrain, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lesotho, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Swaziland, Thailand, Tonga, the United Arab Emirates?

by Anonymousreply 707/24/2013

Because r5 knows nothing about those other countries.

by Anonymousreply 807/24/2013

R4, Belgium isn't known for cheese, that's their dairy neighbor to the north of them. I think of chocolates, monastic breweries and lace. Still a lot of lace makers there

by Anonymousreply 907/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!