Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Israeli archaeologists believe they have discovered the ruins of a palace belonging to biblical King David

JULY 21, 2013

JERUSALEM — A team of Israeli archaeologists believes it has discovered the ruins of a palace belonging to the biblical King David, but other Israeli experts dispute the claim.

Archaeologists from Hebrew University of Jerusalem and Israel’s Antiquities Authority said their find, a large fortified complex west of Jerusalem at a site called Khirbet Qeiyafa , is the first palace of the biblical king ever to be discovered.

“Khirbet Qeiyafa is the best example exposed to date of a fortified city from the time of King David,” said Yossi Garfinkel, a Hebrew University archaeologist, suggesting that David himself would have used the site. Garfinkel led the seven-year dig with Saar Ganor of Israel’s Antiquities Authority.

Garfinkel said his team found cultic objects typically used by Judeans, the subjects of King David, and saw no trace of pig remains. Pork is forbidden under Jewish dietary laws. Clues like these, he said, were “unequivocal evidence” that David and his descendants had ruled at the site.

Critics said the site could have belonged to other kingdoms of the area. The consensus among most scholars is that no definitive physical proof of the existence of King David has been found.

Biblical archaeology itself is contentious. Israelis often use archaeological findings to back up their historic claims to sites that are also claimed by the Palestinians, like the Old City of Jerusalem. Despite extensive archaeological evidence, for example, Palestinians deny that the biblical Jewish Temples dominated the hilltop where the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, Islam’s third-holiest site, stands today.

In general, researchers are divided over whether biblical stories can be validated by physical remains.

The current excavators are not the first to claim they found a King David palace. In 2005, Israeli archaeologist Eilat Mazar said she found the remains of King David’s palace in Jerusalem dating to the 10th century B.C., when King David would have ruled. Her claim also attracted skepticism, including from Garfinkel himself.

Using carbon dating, the archaeologists traced the site’s construction to that same period. Garfinkel said the team also found a storeroom almost 15 metres (50 feet) long, suggesting it was a royal site used to collect taxes from the rest of the kingdom.

Garfinkel believes King David lived permanently in Jerusalem in a yet-undiscovered site, only visiting Khirbet Qeiyafa or other palaces for short periods. He said the site’s placement on a hill indicates that the ruler sought a secure site on high ground during a violent era of frequent conflicts between city-states.

“The time of David was the first time that a large portion of this area was united by one monarch,” Garfinkel said. “It was not a peaceful era.”

Archaeologist Israel Finkelstein of Tel Aviv University agreed that Khirbet Qeiyafa is an “elaborate” and “well-fortified” 10th century B.C. site, but said it could have been built by Philistines, Canaanites or other peoples in the area.

He said there was no way to verify who built the site without finding a monument detailing the accomplishments of the king who built it. Last week, for instance, archaeologists in Israel found pieces of a sphinx bearing the name of the Egyptian pharaoh who reigned when the statue was carved.

Garfinkel insisted that critics like Finkelstein are relying on outdated theories.

“I think other people have a collapsed theory and we have fresh data,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 5708/15/2013

Stay mad, R1 I love it whenever ancient sites are uncovered. It's unfortunate most of the middle east is so fucked up-there are SO many historical sites waiting to be found. Sadly there are many that have been destroyed by all the wars.

by Anonymousreply 207/21/2013

[quote]It's unfortunate most of the middle east is so fucked up-there are SO many historical sites waiting to be found.

No doubt there is much to be explored in Iraq but it will probably be destroyed before exploration can happen.

by Anonymousreply 407/22/2013

Because Jews ARGUE about EVERYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 607/22/2013

R1. ThenRussian Jews don't want to go to Israel, they come to the states. Yeah, a lot aren't even really Jewish,they for sure come to the USA, they don't want to go to Israel. Thenpalacemshould be rehabbed and turned into a good hotel. since the Palestinians don't want to play nice,money should be givenn30'daysmtompackmup and get out.

by Anonymousreply 707/22/2013

"Garfinkel said his team found cultic objects typically used by Judeans, the subjects of King David, and saw no trace of pig remains. Pork is forbidden under Jewish dietary laws. Clues like these, he said, were “unequivocal evidence” that David and his descendants had ruled at the site.'

Ok, therefore, it might make sense that this was a palace of a king and that the king was Jewish.

But how the fuck is it unequivocal evidence that that king was David?

Isn't logic taught in universities anymore?

by Anonymousreply 807/22/2013

It's a bunch of bullshit to perpetuate the religious myth.

by Anonymousreply 907/22/2013

I just want to know if King David looked anything like Michelangelo's statute.

by Anonymousreply 1007/22/2013

[quote]Only Jews think they should be allowed to get away with this bullshit. They'll fly in a bunch of Russian Jews who simply claim their Jews, but don't you dare claim Palestinians (or whatever they were called at the time) have any claim whatsoever.

R1, in 1967, when the Israelis captured east Jerusalem, including the Temple Mount, Gen. Dayan gave control of the mosques to the Waqf. The Israelis have long acknowledged that Palestinians have a claim. The problem is that some Palestinian leaders refuse to acknowledge that Israelis have a claim. There are even Palestinians who deny the existence of any Jewish temple at the site. That's part of why this find is significant.

by Anonymousreply 1107/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 1207/22/2013

I've always been turned on by guys named David.

by Anonymousreply 1307/23/2013

Israel always was and always will be Jewish. There are probably lots of Jewish antiquities in Syria, but like most of the world heritage sites, mosques, and synagogues, they have all been destroyed there. A blessing that most of the Syrian Jews were exiled or fled that shithole before this insanity began.

by Anonymousreply 1407/23/2013

When it comes to the destruction of antiquities, Iraq is one of the leaders.

Widely considered to be the cradle of civilization in the West, Bronze Age Mesopotamia included Sumer and the Akkadian, Babylonian, and Assyrian empires, all native to the territory of modern-day Iraq.

In the Iron Age, it was controlled by the Neo-Assyrian and Neo-Babylonian empires. The indigenous Sumerians and Akkadians (including Assyrians and Babylonians) dominated Mesopotamia from the beginning of written history (c. 3100 BC) to the fall of Babylon in 539 BC, when it was conquered by the Achaemenid Empire. It fell to Alexander the Great in 332 BC, and after his death, it became part of the Greek Seleucid Empire.

by Anonymousreply 1507/24/2013

I don't care if it has religious connections, I just hope they keep digging and finding more information about previous civilizations.

Here in the U.S. there are a number of east coast digs that may result in further info on the missing people from Sir Walter Raleigh's Roanoke colony. WEHT Virginia Dare?

by Anonymousreply 1707/25/2013

They will know for sure if they find a throne room with lots of hot man sex depicted on the walls.

by Anonymousreply 1807/25/2013

R17 yes. I agree with you-it's just cool to find the ancient sites.

by Anonymousreply 1907/25/2013

There never was a "King David." And the Israelites lived in tents, not palaces, during that time.

This is just propaganda masquerading as archaeology.

by Anonymousreply 2007/25/2013

[quote]This is just propaganda masquerading as archaeology.

Well, I hope you have the credentials to challenge the archaeologists on this then, R20!

by Anonymousreply 2107/25/2013

"Archaeology" funded to "discover" specific things is nothing new.

The Christians have been doing it for ages. Finding "evidence" of Jesus.

Until real archaeologists without an agenda debunk it.

by Anonymousreply 2207/25/2013

Virginia Dare was barbecued with a nice port wine!

by Anonymousreply 2307/25/2013

Israel is better on archaeology certainly than any of the Xtians or Muslims in the region. In E. Asia, we find that ancient sites are ignored because the people who were involved with them were not the same as the people who now run the countries like Burma, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Korea and Japan. They really have zero interest in the peoples who inhabited their lands while they were in China, before they got pushed out by the Han Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 2407/25/2013

[quote]There never was a "King David." And the Israelites lived in tents, not palaces, during that time.

And you know that how????

To date, there is one mention of "The House of David" (see link)

[quote]The broken and fragmentary inscription commemorates the victory of an Aramean king over his two southern neighbors: the “king of Israel” and the “king of the House of David.” In the carefully incised text written in neat Aramaic characters

by Anonymousreply 2507/25/2013

Wasn't King David once "involved" with a boy named Jonathan?

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2013

Correction. There is another mention in Egypt. The inscription is part of a list entered on the exterior south wall of the Great Temple of Amun in Karnak

[quote]Kenneth Kitchen, one of the world’s most distinguished Egyptologists and a leading expert on Egypt’s Third Intermediate Period (c. 1100-650 BCE) has found what he believes to be the phrase “The Heights of David” within a listing of territories allegedly conquered by Pharaoh Sheshonq I.

by Anonymousreply 2707/25/2013

Well, that settles it. Because, you know, David is such an unusual name.

by Anonymousreply 2807/25/2013

[quote]“The Heights of David” within a listing of territories allegedly conquered by Pharaoh Sheshonq I.

In those times, many rulers built their fortifications on hilltops. There are a number of digs that illustrate this.

by Anonymousreply 2907/25/2013

[quote]When it comes to the destruction of antiquities, Iraq is one of the leaders.

Didn't the USA forces plunder Iraq's antiquities during the invasion/war?

by Anonymousreply 3007/25/2013

r28 I don't think there's another David mentioned in the bible, let alone king. Why would the Pharaoh want to conquer a hut or shithole from some "other David" and take pride in it enough to brag about it on temples and other buildings?

The whole story of Sheshonq both fits the time line and everything told about him in the bible.

by Anonymousreply 3107/25/2013

Oh, give it a rest, R5.

by Anonymousreply 3207/25/2013

In the middle east, people lived in stone buildings, not tents. They didn't have roofs, but they had walls.

by Anonymousreply 3307/25/2013

Yes, they had flat roofs on those stone buildings. And the roofs were used as an outdoor room. There were usually awnings over part of the roofs to provide shade. The roof area was used for a dining room and living room during the heat of summer. When they built the stone walls of the building, they also built stone stairs to the roof.

by Anonymousreply 3407/25/2013

[quote]The whole story of Sheshonq both fits the time line and everything told about him in the bible.

That is correct.

by Anonymousreply 3507/26/2013

Underwater archaeologists were on a mission to study a shipwreck in the Gulf of Mexico from the early 1800s. During this investigation, they found two more wrecks from the same period. They may have all gone down in a storm.

In 1995, after a more than decade-long hunt, Texas Historical Commission archaeologists found one of famed French explorer La Salle's vessels in a coastal bay between Galveston and Corpus Christi. The remains of the LaBelle, which went down in a storm in 1686, have been recovered and are undergoing an unusual freeze-drying treatment at Texas A&M. The ship is to be reconstructed next year and become a centerpiece of the State History Museum in Austin.

Earlier this year, researchers used special 3-D imagery to map the remains of the USS Hatteras, which was the only U.S. Navy ship sunk in the Gulf of Mexico in combat during the Civil War. The 210-foot iron-hulled ship went down in 1863 about 20 miles off the Galveston coast during a run-in with a Confederate raiding vessel. Researchers believe that heavy storms in recent years shifted the sea floor sand and exposed the wreckage, which rests only 57 feet below the surface.

by Anonymousreply 3607/26/2013

This is a response to the poster that was asking if King David looked like Micheal Angelo's sculpture. My father is a bible theologian and in the bible it describes King David as having ruddy hair, meaning red hair, and blue eyes. Doesn't mention anything about his body though.

R36, super post! I have read that on my Yahoo news just last night. I'm sick of all of the political stuff over an archeological dig.Hey! it's King David's palace! Deal with it! Form a support group! I love archeology immensely ,and I see on this thread there are some posters that are fascinated by archeology as well.

by Anonymousreply 3707/26/2013

They have been digging in Israel for over 100 years. What has come into view is that the stories in the Bible are exaggerated greatly. Ancient Israelites lived in settlements, there was no grand kingdom. Ancient Israelites were backward compared to their neighbors. With that in mind you can understand the adsurd stories of Hebrews 900 years old, Hebrews f*cking their own children, killing left and right, an angry God etc.

by Anonymousreply 3807/26/2013

The interesting thing about many of the underwater finds is that we have the facilities to preserve them today. Had they been found 50 or 60 years ago, they didn't have the preservation methods we have in the 21st century.

Right now, the world is seeing drones used for warfare but they can also be used in peaceful ways to search for archaeological sites using electronic equipment that can see below the forests and beneath the land surface.

I've explored Inca ruins in Peru, but I know there is much more that is still hidden from view. Someday, drone searches may find things that are better preserved than Machu Picchu.

They don't seem to be doing much underwater searches in the Mediterranean Sea. I'll bet there are some ancient ships still waiting to be found. The Costa Concordia has been sitting there for 18 months in plain view and they haven't even managed to get that taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 3907/26/2013

R38, you are a major anti-smite Nazi!

by Anonymousreply 4007/27/2013

[quote]They have been digging in Israel for over 100 years. What has come into view is that the stories in the Bible are exaggerated greatly.

One of the biggest problems is that they built on top of old ruins so it's a problem getting down to some of them.

It's the same thing in Rome. There is a fantastic dig taking place underneath St. Peter's. I got to look down on it through an air vent in the crypt church.

by Anonymousreply 4107/27/2013

R41, that is fascinating! I have heard that before.The whole city of Rome has the entire ancient city of Rome buried under layers of rubble from previous buildings over the centuries. So instead of knocking a building down, they just built on top of the previous building. That is incredible and exciting. I worked this woman who went to Italy ,and she and her husband went to a building ,which they found a Roman bathhouse deep in the ground. She said as she and her husband were walking down below the building, the owner was pointing out, this layer is from a building from one century and then another on and on until they finally got to the very bottom ,which was this amazing fresco mural wall with a huge tube, etc. She said the whole experience was something she would never forget.

by Anonymousreply 4207/27/2013

I took a free stress test and then found out there are unexploded h-bombs under Hollywood Blvd!

by Anonymousreply 4307/27/2013

The seven hills of Rome probably weren't so hilly until they began to pile one building on top of another.

by Anonymousreply 4407/27/2013

When archeologist Henry Schliemann tried to uncover the city of Troy in the 19th century, he inadvertently dug out a Troy that was built on top of the Troy of the Iliad. Actually, there are seven Troys, built on top of each other.

by Anonymousreply 4507/30/2013

Archaeologists unearthed an unusual coffin-within-a-coffin in the central England parking lot where they found the skeleton of King Richard III last September.

University of Leicester scientists have been digging at the Grey Friars site in Leicester after finding the body of Richard last year. He died nearby in 1485 at the Battle of Bosworth Field.

The team said it had discovered a fully intact medieval stone coffin during a dig in September but wasn't able to investigate it further at the time. When it was opened this week, the team said, it found a lead coffin within it, one likely to contain a "high status" individual.

The archaeologists say that tests must be carried out to determine how to open the lead coffin without damaging the remains.

by Anonymousreply 4607/30/2013

This is interesting. A dig in Southern Wisonsin 100 years ago unearthed 18 giant skeleltons. All male between 7 and 12 feet long with six fingers on each hand, an elongated skull. The remains were taken by the government and no information has officially been released.

More of skeletons of this type have been found throughout the Midwest and also in New Mexico. See the New York Times article dated 1912 at link.

Why are we just now hearing about this?

by Anonymousreply 4708/02/2013

Today on NPR a guy was telling about new dinosaur finds of types never seen before. Traffic was heavy so I couldn't pay close attention. I think he said there were at least a dozen new ones from areas around Colorado and Utah.

They also discussed the bones that were found in Montana of two dinosaurs locked in mortal combat. The fossil skeletons dubbed the Montana Dueling Dinosaurs could fetch up to $9 million when they go up for auction.

by Anonymousreply 4808/02/2013

Fascinating. I could read about this stuff all day long.

Where is the poster who had a friend in Afghanistan on a top secret dig surrounded by agents? Any updates on what they found?

by Anonymousreply 4908/02/2013

Does anyone know of any good forums devoted to these topics? I love threads like this but I know DL isn't the place to go for my archeology news.

by Anonymousreply 5008/02/2013

R50 Type anthropology in a search engine. You will get news sites. There are few forums devoted to anthropology. Achaeologica has a small forum but it's not very active.

by Anonymousreply 5108/03/2013

[quote]Where is the poster who had a friend in Afghanistan on a top secret dig surrounded by agents?

DL is a great place for things like this to pop up. I'd like to hear more about this.

by Anonymousreply 5208/03/2013

Jews own Israel thread closed

by Anonymousreply 5308/03/2013

That dig at the English parking lot is interesting. I wonder if they have to use it as a parking lot in the area all around the dig or if they have plenty of room to expand the dig.

by Anonymousreply 5408/04/2013

[quote]There never was a "King David." And the Israelites lived in tents, not palaces, during that time.

[quote]This is just propaganda masquerading as archaeology.

by Anonymousreply 5508/04/2013

Glad you said it [R55]. Also, in the Huff post yesterday there was an article about their finding the "true cross" in an old box in Turkey. Throughout the Middle Ages people made fortunes selling bits of the "true cross" and also "the nails".

They had some explanation of why they thought this was real; but they simply found wood in a golden box from a long time ago. Where is Jesus' DNA to prove that he was nailed to this particular chunk of wood?

I don't disbelieve there was an Aramaic speaking Palestinian Jew (Probably) called Yeshu=Joshua=Jesus in Greek, which he didn't speak but the liars and propagandists did; and I think there is both nothing new and a high probability that the historical figure encouraged insurrection (as in the recent book by Reza Aslan -- not a novel premise, though I haven't read the book and he might have come up with new discoveries.

But this insistence on relics when so many people were crucified by the Romans, especially in that area, really seems ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 5608/04/2013

A badger has outfoxed archeologists, digging up two “significant” 12th-century tombs of two Slavic lords in Germany, reports Spiegel Online.

The find, in a town called Stolpe in Brandenburg, happened last fall, but became public only this week.

Two sculptors, Lars Wilhelm and Hendrikje Ring, who also happen to be amateur archeologists, came upon the badger sett, or den, near where they had been planning to exhibit some of their work.

"We spotted a pelvic bone that had been dug up, it was clearly human," Ring told Spiegel Online. "It wasn't exactly surprising to us because a whole field of ancient graves had been found on the other side of the road in the 1960s.

“So we pushed a camera into the badger's sett and took photos by remote control. We found pieces of jewelry, retrieved them and contacted the authorities," Ring said.

Archeologists eventually dug up eight graves from the first half of the 12th century at the site, including two containing skeletons of Slavic chieftains and an array of artifacts: a sword, bronze bowls and a belt buckle.

"We hadn't found graves like that in Brandenburg before, so it's an important discovery," said Thomas Kersting, an archeologist at the Brandenburg Department for Monument Protection.

The badger hasn’t returned to the site of the discovery, but does get credit for the find. "This doesn't make him an archeologist, but he's the one who discovered it," said Lars Wilhelm, who received an honorary award for services to archeology in Brandenburg.

by Anonymousreply 5708/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!