Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Susan Lucci

Why, oh, why, is she a Republican??! I so want to like her.

by Anonymousreply 5908/07/2013

Republicans in the NY city/Westchester/Conn area (wherever she lives) are usually liberal on social issues. I think they were very liberal, as liberal as the most left-wing Democrats nowadays, and that would be when she was becoming a voter and thinking serious about party affiliation.

I guess what I'm saying is I feel pretty sure she's liberal on social issues (gay rights, etc.), perhaps conservative economically (she sure is wealthy,) perhaps it's an abortion issue-she is Italian and probably Catholic.

She seems like a decent, nice person who doesn't hate anybody; I think her politics are personal and shouldn't change how anyone thinks about her.

by Anonymousreply 107/21/2013

Her husband Helmut Huber is an Austrian who's to the right of Attila the Hun, that's why.

by Anonymousreply 207/21/2013

I meant to say Republicans were probably very liberal in the 70's when she was a young adult...anyway: Go ahead and like her OP, she's devoted her career to championing daytime drama, she has an incredible work ethic and she seems like a genuinely nice, big hearted, talented woman with a down-to-earth sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 307/21/2013

I've suspected that, too R2. He does seem like an imposing presence, acting as her manager and all (although he has done a great job shaping her career.) Maybe she votes Democrat when she's in the voting booth.

Austrians are pretty right-wing, aren't they? I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 407/21/2013

He is about ten years older than her and she was pretty young when she got involved with him and is probably the dominant personality. I suspect she follows him politically, at least with economics. I read an interview somewhat recently where she said how horrible it was that gay kids felt they had to hide who they were, so at least on that issue, I doubt she follows the GOP line.

I would be curious where she stood on the abortion issue. I thought I read she was not happy when they unaborted her 30 year old fetus.

She is actually pretty entertaining on Devious Maids. AMC got away from humor in general at the end, and that was always her strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 507/21/2013

Susan's politics have nothing to do with Helmut. She is a NE Rockefeller Republican. They are common -- see: Susan Molinari. You are a special kind of troll on this thread, responding to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 607/21/2013

You're probably right about abortion. I was just guessing that that might possibly be a deciding factor for her-but, she's most likely just as pragmatic and sensible about it being a women's rights/health care issue. I'd bet a lot of Republican women, excluding the Bible thumpers, are pro-choice.

R5 is probably right. She's probably following her husband's lead. I can't for one second believe she is anti-gay or anti-anybody. She's never come off as anything but open-hearted and full of life in any interview she's one in her entire 40+ year career.

by Anonymousreply 707/21/2013

She says 'thank you' more than any other celebrity I can think of.

Good for her.

Most celebs never show gratitude.

by Anonymousreply 807/21/2013

[quote]I thought I read she was not happy when they unaborted her 30 year old fetus.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 907/21/2013

How did her political ideology even come out? Was she quoted?

She went to the White House ball for George W. back in the early 00s.

[quote] I'd bet a lot of Republican women, excluding the Bible thumpers, are pro-choice.

If they were pro-choice and pro-woman, they wouldn't be voting Republican in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 1007/21/2013

Also a big Lucci fan, and have heard about her being Republican, but I just don't see her being *that* kind of Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1107/21/2013

R9 -- one of her first big early stories on All My Children was that she had the first legal abortion on TV (it might have been just before Maude). She did it because she simply did not want a child and wanted to focus on her modeling career. Something a soap would never do now.

About 5 years ago they rewrote so that her abortion doctor took the fetus and implanted it in his wife. The grown fetus showed up as her grown son. There was a lot of criticism at the time that they rewrote one of the more famous soap storylines. Not to mention it was one of those stories that give soaps a bad name. Her abortion would have been done pre- test tube baby, yet her doctor, on the spur of the moment transplanted her fetus into his wife.

by Anonymousreply 1207/21/2013

She is bringing the special magic to Devious Maids

by Anonymousreply 1307/30/2013

She's the worst actor on Devious Maids. As big a camp figure as she is in theory, she's just not that good a comic actor.

by Anonymousreply 1407/30/2013

She is a very limited actress. My friend used to do hair on AMC. He said she was just gorgeous in person,and she was very nice to him and friendly. He is a HUGE queen too. He said she called the adoring public "civilians", also said you would never want to get on her bad side, she ices you. Very pro-gay too.

by Anonymousreply 1507/30/2013

She is a moderate conservative

Liberal on social issues, but conservative on fiscal issues.

by Anonymousreply 1607/30/2013

You know, maybe it's just me but I do not see what difference an actor's politics make. Unless they're running for office or mouthing off in an ignorant fashion. Who cares? I've also never thought what different it makes what one's day job co-workers, or boss', politics are either (short of being in some fucking cult.)

I have different politics than (some of) my friends, my family, my neighbors, places I've worked - isn't that one meaning of diversity??

by Anonymousreply 1707/30/2013

Why did Lucci become legendary in America & not Brenda Dickson?

by Anonymousreply 1807/30/2013

I would bet $1000 that Lucci is pro-choice, Catholic or not. That's the way NYC Republicans are. One cannot get on a ticket - Dem or Rep - in the NYC area if they are pro-life. If able to vote in 1968, and he was the Repub nominee, I would have become a Rockefeller Republican. Btw, NY state had legal abortion in 1970 because of Rocky.

by Anonymousreply 1907/30/2013

Fuck the Lucci haters! I've watched All My Children through most of its run and when given good writing, Susan brings it. Her and Judy Reyes are the best reasons to watch a show that quite frankly is Desperate Housewives-Light.

by Anonymousreply 2007/30/2013

Not that far back in time, the Republicans were the ones who supported Planned Parenthood and birth control. Many Catholics were Democrats, and very much anti-Planned Parenthood. Reagan pulled a lot of Democrats over to him, and the dumber, more fundamentalist Republican party (as opposed to educated WASPS) seized on abortion/birth control as a wedge issue.

Even the Great White Whale...I mean Hope...of the GOP, Chris Christie used to have opinions that resembled old school Republicans until quite recently. It'll be interesting if he gets rabidly anti-abortion & anti-immigration closer to '16.

by Anonymousreply 2107/30/2013

Ask Sarah Michelle Gellar about Susan Lucci, bet you would think different then lol. She steamrolled over the very young and very talented Gellar (who was getting high praise for her role as Kendall). Susan was openly hostile to Gellar, criticizing her hair, her weight and her acting!! (lol no one can chew scenery like Lucci). She made life a living hell for Gellar on AMC.

by Anonymousreply 2207/30/2013

I like her. She knows her acting limitations and doesn't take herself too seriously. She's got very good comic timing, and, when given good writing and is restrained by the director, she has delivered some poignant dramatic performances.

by Anonymousreply 2307/30/2013

[r22] there are two sides to that story -- SMG not very well liked by many

by Anonymousreply 2407/30/2013

Exactly r24! I remember reading an interview with SMG where she admitted that because of her own insecurities with AMC being one of her first acting jobs and somewhat intimidated by Susan's legendary soap status, she intentionally did some things to get under Susan's skin. When all is said and done, SMG actually has quite a bit of respect for Susan.

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2013

Really? Eva LaRue seems to like her. Infact when AMC got cancelled SMG called La Lucci and they made up. They set up somethign with SMG, La Rue and Lucci to tape and guess who was a no show after SMG extended the olive branch? Yup Lucci.

by Anonymousreply 2607/30/2013

For the most part, Susan has one of the best and un-diva like reputations in the business. Her TV daughters Alicia Minshew (current Kendall) and Eden Riegel (Bianca), as well as her TV nemesis Rebecca Buding (Greenlee) absolutely adore her. She's also very close to Julia Barr (Brooke), David Canary (Adam/Stuart), and Michael E. Knight.

by Anonymousreply 2707/30/2013

Did Susan deserve her legendary Emmy win? She looks about the weakest from the clips.

by Anonymousreply 2807/30/2013

R5 I never saw her soap so I was pleasanly surprised to see she had some aptitude for humor.

On Devious Maids he seems to be playing a comedic version of the traditional soap diva.

by Anonymousreply 2907/30/2013

R26 Link please

There have been TONS of stories about SMG diva like behavior behind the scenes.

For over 40 years Lucci has only had one feud on AMC, and that was with SMG

It was mostly SMG talking to the media about her battles with Lucci.

While Lucci has always taken the high road.

by Anonymousreply 3007/30/2013

Susan Lucci & Sarah Michelle Geller fight on AMC

The sparks do fly

by Anonymousreply 3107/30/2013

[quote]Why did Lucci become legendary in America & not Brenda Dickson?

Here here.

FYI: Dixie Carter was a registered republican. repub

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2013

I wish SMG had gotten that wonky nose fixed.

by Anonymousreply 3307/30/2013

I thought SMG was entertaining as Kendall at the time, but she got pretty one note by her second year. Lucci might not always have the most depth, but she shows a little more range then SMG does in that clip. I have a feeling SMG was phoning it in by that time.

The one reason why I am a little skeptical that Lucci was jealous of the younger SMG was that her next nemesis for the following year was Eva LaRue who was at her physical peak at the time. Later she played againt Buding and Minshew both who were better looking than SMG, who while riveting in the role (at least initially) was not a stunner.

SMG has been a little passive aggressive when talking about Lucci, but has for the most part taken the high road as well. I think basically saying there was some tension, but they were both professional on the set. I read somewhere SMG's mom was a bit of a stage mom and magnified the tension to create some press for her daughter. I think I have only seen that once, so that element of the story might be completely false.

by Anonymousreply 3407/30/2013

Lucci has been a star for over 40 years and the only bad stuff that's ever been said about her is this SMG feud. It was clear at the time something was up. They played mother and daughter and rarely had any scenes toward the end. I love SMG as an actress, but her not so nice behavior on sets has been pretty widely reported.

Yes, Lucci deserved the Emmy that year. When her winning episode originally aired, I turned to my roommate and said, "that's going to win her the Emmy." She always excels in comedy, but she was always the best, dramatically, in Erica's scenes with her daughters.

I think she is a hoot on Devious Maids, and I love the relationship between her character and Judy Reyes' character. I like that her character is just a bit daffy, and not a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3507/30/2013

[quote]Why did Lucci become legendary in America & not Brenda Dickson?

Too much Riunite all around.

by Anonymousreply 3607/30/2013

I did not watch AMC much the last five plus years, and while Lucci could still chew the scenery, at some point she realized less is more for some of her dramatic scenes. Her weakest acting was always when she would try to do a full out cry. For the intervention scene where she won the emmy, she really reigned it in, and did a good job being quietly devastated as her sick daughter whispered she hated her (or something like that). She was snarky earlier in the episode, so she could show off some of her comedic chops. It also helped that the actors who played Barbara and Travis came back and the actors still played off of each other well.

Not the greatest actress, but there are certain things she does well.

by Anonymousreply 3707/30/2013

She's a total bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3807/30/2013

Gellar was part of the younger female AMC clique in 1993 that also included Kelly Ripa, Sydney Penny, Teresa Blake, and Eva LaRue. They were all besties and were inseparable. They're all still close to this day. She was especially friendly with Eva LaRue and her then-husband John Callahan. They were all pretty deferential toward established cast members, except for Gellar, who started believing her own publicity.

by Anonymousreply 3907/30/2013

I love watching Discovery ID and she has a pretty good show on Saturdays. I forget what it's called.

by Anonymousreply 4007/30/2013

That's perfectly describing that episode and Susan's performance r30. It was a special episode that's more commonly done by British soaps and very rarely done by American soaps whereas there's a set group of characters for the whole entire episode. This particularly episode featured only Erica, Bianca, Travis, Barbara, Jackson, Dimitri, and Dr. Joe Martin. It was one of AMC's best and Susan perfectly went through every emotion one could go through. She really deserved that Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 4107/30/2013

I hope you like this parody of Susan Lucci's Emmy winning speech:

by Anonymousreply 4307/31/2013

I've read in several places that Susan and her husband are really big-time Repug fundraisers in and around suburban NYC.

by Anonymousreply 4407/31/2013

Susan Lucci is the only genuine star that the East Coast has produced.

by Anonymousreply 4507/31/2013

[r44] Suburban NYC Republicans are very moderate ~ remember marriage equality was passed with their help in NYS.Delta Burke is a Republican, too. As was Dixie Carter.

by Anonymousreply 4607/31/2013

La Lucci is hilarious on DM. Can we start lobbying for a Supporting Actress Emmy?

Somewhere Robin Strasser (soon to be replaced by La Princi) is pissed!

by Anonymousreply 4707/31/2013

Lucci and her acceptance speech-

One of the greatest soap moments of all time!

I love how the music to get her off stage just becomes soap underscoring for her speech!!

by Anonymousreply 4807/31/2013

Palmer Courtland was hot back in the day. Also heard that Larry Lau (Greg Nelson) went commando in most of his scenes. Nice bulge.

by Anonymousreply 5008/04/2013

[quote] I need Jordi Villasuso's member in my mouth immediately.

I have a friend who did wardrobe at Guiding Light and apparently Jordi needed long boxers b/c his cock would easily peek out of the bottom of briefs.

Yummo....

by Anonymousreply 5108/04/2013

More gossip, R51. Pretty please with sugar on top?

by Anonymousreply 5208/05/2013

Susan grew up and still has a home in Garden City on long island which is and always has been very republican. Mostly conservative when it comes to the economy (lots of big bucks that everyone wants to make bigger) but more moderate to liberal on social issues. Susans high school drama teacher was Inez Spiers who was a bigger than life character in her own right which would have fit in well with the way soap actors portray there characters. I would think after acting in a soap for so many years and then transitioning to regular series tv and having to tone down your performance must be a challenge. I have met Susan a few times back when her kids where younger and she was very nice and always insisted when in the village that she was always addressed as Mrs. Huber and never Susan Lucci. She is definately the biggest thing in the acting community to ever come out of little ole Garden City Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 5308/05/2013

just a short post script....Jordi is so hot regardless of how big his dick may or may not be. To bad I hear he is married but if he ever want to take a walk on the wild side, I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 5408/05/2013

r17 Because it might mean the person has a personality flaw. A person who is a republican might be anti-gay or anti-poor. Or a racist.

by Anonymousreply 5508/05/2013

[r55] In a galaxy far, far away Republicans were not bogged down by the religious idiots. Lucci is a typical NE Republican. Their issues are low taxes and smaller Government. They don't care if a woman gets an abortion they just don't want to pay for it, more or less.

by Anonymousreply 5608/05/2013

It's about hanging onto her money with both hands, as if SL is ever going to do without.

by Anonymousreply 5708/05/2013

Vince Irrizary has a nice ass

by Anonymousreply 5808/06/2013

I didn't know Adam Chandler could still get it up. Brooke seems very happy lately.

by Anonymousreply 5908/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.