Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hysterically laughing at movies, that were obviously meant to be serious and profound...

I do it all the time; Precious...those Monique scenes were so gritty and serious and disgusting, I just couldn't help but laugh. And Monster; what about you?

by Anonymousreply 10807/24/2013

Altered States. all the pschbabble

by Anonymousreply 107/20/2013

The Passion of the Christ.

by Anonymousreply 207/20/2013

Frantic

Harrison Ford goes through the whole movie with that face of pained constipation which stands in for all emotions. The plot is a joke. Saw this many years ago in a theater, friend and I were laughing throughout.

by Anonymousreply 307/20/2013

My friends and I laughed all the way through [italic]Boxing Helena[/italic] when it came out.

by Anonymousreply 407/20/2013

Happiness. I went to see it with a bunch of friends and we pretty much laughed at everything in it. People were storming out of the theater, glaring at us as if to say, "how DARE you find this funny?"

by Anonymousreply 507/20/2013

I think Happiness is supposed to be a comedy. A very, VERY dark comedy.

by Anonymousreply 607/20/2013

A bit off topic, but I went to see Cats many moons ago and a couple of young queens laughed hysterically during the entire Betty Buckley rendition of " Memory." When she belted, "Touch me..." they screamed with laughter, making everyone around them start to laugh also.

by Anonymousreply 707/20/2013

R6 I think its supposed to be a comedy as well. Some people get it, some people don't. We had already seen Welcome to the Dollhouse, so we knew what to expect.

by Anonymousreply 807/20/2013

I never saw the whole thing, but the commercials for The Man Without A Face used to crack me up.

Also, Riding The Bus With My Sister.

by Anonymousreply 907/20/2013

eXistenZ - A friend and I went to see it because it was Cronenberg's latest, and we giggled the whole way through. It was sooooo bad and meant to be sooo scary.

by Anonymousreply 1007/20/2013

Ali MacGraw's death scene in Love Story. Hilarious. Ryan O'Neal's loud, plaid jacket upstages both of them.

by Anonymousreply 1207/20/2013

I burst out laughing at the end of Prince of Tides: "Lowenstein." And a friend and I lol all through Indecent Proposal.

by Anonymousreply 1307/20/2013

Horror can be extremely funny to me, but some movies where audience members screamed with laughter the whole time were Titanic, American Psycho, Monster's Ball, Scindler's List. The reason I remember these were because those people ruined the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1407/20/2013

Eyes Wide Shut. Tom Cruise is reaching his breaking point and gets pushed around by a couple of frat guys and called a faggot. One of them shouts "Exit it only" and points to his ass. I died of laughter.

by Anonymousreply 1607/20/2013

Young Adult, although, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be funny at times, but you'd never know it from the humorless group of idiots in my theater. My friends and I still think it was one of the best films of the decade, but everyone else came out of it saying "Well, that was just sad." or "I thought this was supposed to be a comedy. It wasn't funny at all."

Charlize Theron's character, Mavis, was just so hilariously dry and deadpan about everything and everyone in her crappy small town. We couldn't help but laugh. Several times, people would stare at us for actually laughing at some of Mavis' hilariously narcissistic schemes.

I think she deserved an Oscar nom that year. Brilliant, hilarious, and very touching performance.

by Anonymousreply 1707/20/2013

r17 That is one of my favourite movie. I grew up with a narcisstic mother and could relate to so much in that film. Amazing performance by Charlize and I'm sad that most people don't seem to understand that movie. Diablo Cody is fantastic and even though Juno is the weakest of her movies people expect all her movies to be like it and get mad/dissapointed if it isnt.

by Anonymousreply 1907/20/2013

Monster

by Anonymousreply 2007/20/2013

"Schindler's List"

by Anonymousreply 2107/20/2013

Not me, but I always recall a DLer who mentioned watching the Batman with Maggie Gylenhaal and when the Joker says "Hello, beautiful," someone in the audience guffawed.

That story gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 2207/20/2013

Oh R13, Prince of Tides is a laugh fest.

by Anonymousreply 2307/20/2013

Embarrassing lines like "We are Schindler Jews!" do invite ridicule.

Otherwise, most of Jodie Foster and Richard Gere's scenes in "Sommersby"; and Ethan Hawke's "slacker" speech in "Reality Bites."

by Anonymousreply 2407/20/2013

Hello, mom?

I laughed at Bette Midler's telephone booth scene in "The Rose." I laugh at all her "serious" cracked baby voice, singsong sad scenes, no matter the film.

"For the Boys" is craptastic! Not a plausible moment. Stella is even better. She is terrible.

When she plays comedy she is funny, when she attemtps drama - she is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 2507/20/2013

R22, I think that is one of the more well-known cognitive dissonance moments in Hollywood history. When I saw it, at least a dozen people make a sound: a laugh, guffaw, snort, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2607/20/2013

[quote]"For the Boys" is craptastic!

I prefer to call that movie "The Day I Saw a Septic Tank Explode"

by Anonymousreply 2707/20/2013

Poor Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 2807/20/2013

Night of the Living Dead. Caught it in the middle of the night back in the 70s and thought it was an hysterically funny Saturday Night Live-like movie.

by Anonymousreply 2907/20/2013

When I went to see [i]Titanic[/i] in its initial release, this older couple (around forty-ish) sat behind me and they were fine until the sinking. They kept cracking up any time someone fell and crashed through something or hit the rails on the way down. The propeller bit sent them into hysterics. Very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 3007/20/2013

Mommie Dearest owns this thread.

The entire movie is high camp to many, but it WAS intended to be taken quite seriously.

by Anonymousreply 3107/20/2013

The Iron Lady.

by Anonymousreply 3207/20/2013

This entire thread lends additional evidence to the theory that most homosexuals are unbalanced individuals.

by Anonymousreply 3307/20/2013

'Monsters Ball' especially the scene where hullybare finds the chocolate bars and goes batshit crazy on her fat-ass son.

It was hysterical!

Honorable mention - what dreams may come (what the fuck was that anyway?).

by Anonymousreply 3407/20/2013

The "love scene" in "Monster's Ball" where Halle Berry is so insane with lust for Billy Bob Thornton (yes, she's insane with desire for BILLY BOB THORNTON) that she flings herself at him and growls "make me feeel good, make me FEEEEEEL GOOOOD!" is side-splitting.

I thought several scenes in "The Color Purple" were laughable. The scene where Mister is dragging Nettie off his property is hilarious, especially when Celie is hanging onto her sister's skirts and gets hauled down some steps, clunk, clunk, clunk. They're weepin' and a wailin' and clinging to each other and Celie is begging "please letah stay! please letah stay" and Mister has to physically tear them apart; after he shoves Nettie away she wails "WHHHHHHYYYY?! It was such a blatant, extreme attempt to pull on the viewer's heartstrings that it was funny. And by the way, NONE of that happened in the book. Nettie CHOOSES to leave; she goes off with some missionaries. Stephen Spielberg had no idea what to do with the dark subject matter of the book; he did his damnest to pretty it up and sentimentalize it.

by Anonymousreply 3507/20/2013

Silence of the Lams - campier than shit! I couldn't stop laughing.

by Anonymousreply 3607/20/2013

"The Lonely Lady" with Pia Zadora -- it's just painful to watch anyway, but the scene after PZ has the lesbian sex and stands outside the house and shrieks, "But aren't you going to read my script??" Shit was dreadful, and it cracks me up just to remember it. ROTFLOL

by Anonymousreply 3707/21/2013

My friend and I finally caved in during, 'Titanic's' initial run and saw it in a midnight showing with a bunch of weepy teenaged girls. At the end, when Leo snaps off and sinks away down into the water, we cracked up hysterically - it just popped out - to some rather irritated looks.

by Anonymousreply 3807/21/2013

I wish I saw it with you and your friend, R38.

I was essentially the Elaine from Seinfeld('English Patient' episode)of my group. They didn't appreciate my reaction to "Titanic" which was to cheer for the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 3907/21/2013

Thanks to "Airplane!", I can't watch 1957's "Zero Hour!" without laughing.

by Anonymousreply 4007/21/2013

"There Will Be Blood"

by Anonymousreply 4107/21/2013

Huh, R40, I always assumed that AIRPLANE! was a spoof on the AIRPLANE movies, like SPACEBALLS was for STAR WARS.

by Anonymousreply 4207/21/2013

Dear R37, your use of ROTFLOL clearly reveals that you live in a fly-over state. No one, no one at all, would use such a clichéd and overused phrase.

by Anonymousreply 4307/21/2013

The "I drink your milkshake" line or whatever Daniel Day Lewis says in "There Will Be Blood".

That dialog cracks me up everytime. DDL's acting is way too overwrought in general, I basically laugh at most of his over-the-top acting.

by Anonymousreply 4407/21/2013

Crash works great if you treat it like a comedy.

I. JUST. HAD. A. GUN. POINTED. AT. MY. FACE!!!

Thandie Newton's hysterical performance has some great, unintentionally hilarious moments: "NOT YOU, NOT YOU, BWAAAAH" or " HELLO, MR. POLICE MAN!!!"

And of course, Sandra Bullock's white bitch character falling down the stairs while looking at a black & white picture.

by Anonymousreply 4507/21/2013

I laughed and facepalmed during "The Grey" with Liam Neeson and a group of idiots being chased by wolves in the forest ... It was so contrived

I laughed everytime there was a zombie on WWZ

by Anonymousreply 4607/21/2013

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1

by Anonymousreply 4707/21/2013

I saw The Exorcist as a kid, alone at night, on HBO and it scared the shit out of me.

Years later the director's cut was re-released in theaters and I went with friends who'd never seen it. The whole theater erupted in laughter with the over-the-top obscenities.

"Your mother sucks cocks in Hell!"

"Keep away, the sow is mine! Fuck me! Fuck Me! FUCK ME!"

Let Jesus fuck you! Let Jesus fuck you! Let Him fuck you!"

(After a priest mentioned the Virgin Mary:)

"Stick your cock up her ass, you motherfucking worthless slime!"

by Anonymousreply 4807/21/2013

2 movies.

Highlander II: The Quickening (aka the sickening) and Battlefield Earth

Once you give up, the headache suddenly goes away and then you can't stop laughing.

by Anonymousreply 4907/21/2013

Several of Claire Danes' scenes in that Temple Grandin movie had me laughing hysterically.

by Anonymousreply 5007/21/2013

R41, the audience I saw it with was nearly rolling in the aisles hysterical with laughter through the whole thing. My friend and I caught the giggles too and couldn't stop. What a ridiculous piece of garbage.

by Anonymousreply 5107/21/2013

[quote]Several of Claire Danes' scenes in that Temple Grandin movie had me laughing hysterically.

I admit, I lost it during the graduation/"You'll Never Walk Alone" scene. But only because it was so random and the other people's facial expressions. But other than that, I didn't think Danes' performance was unintentionally hilarious. Not like Rosie O'Donnell in RIDING THE BUS WITH MY SISTER. WTF was that?

by Anonymousreply 5207/21/2013

[quote] I thought several scenes in "The Color Purple" were laughable. The scene where Mister is dragging Nettie off his property is hilarious, especially when Celie is hanging onto her sister's skirts and gets hauled down some steps, clunk, clunk, clunk. They're weepin' and a wailin' and clinging to each other and Celie is begging "please letah stay! please letah stay" and Mister has to physically tear them apart; after he shoves Nettie away she wails "WHHHHHHYYYY?! It was such a blatant, extreme attempt to pull on the viewer's heartstrings that it was funny. And by the way, NONE of that happened in the book. Nettie CHOOSES to leave; she goes off with some missionaries. Stephen Spielberg had no idea what to do with the dark subject matter of the book; he did his damnest to pretty it up and sentimentalize it.

Agreed. He got some things very right, and others he missed by a mile. Alice Walker's book "The Same River Twice" is a great read about the whole experience.

Though my favorite line in The Color Purple is a funny, throwaway line by Shug:

"I's gettin' REAL tired of this cat."

by Anonymousreply 5307/21/2013

I laughed out loud a number of times during The Exorcist. I seemed such a fake farce to me.

by Anonymousreply 5407/21/2013

Me and my sister died laughing at Tom Cruise during the cross examination scene of Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men. His acting was so over the top and he looked crazy.

by Anonymousreply 5507/21/2013

I saw Atonement with a friend who burst out laughing hysterically when James McAvoy's character realizes he has given the wrong message to the little girl to deliver.She kept it up for quite a while. She actually thought it was supposed to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 5607/21/2013

Another for PRECIOUS. The premise of a morbidly obese girl in poverty who gets mentally and physically abused by her mother, raped by her father who not only gives her two Downs Syndrome kids but also HIV is so incredibly nihilistic & depressing and that it becomes hysterically funny, in that Samuel Beckett absurdist way. The fried chicken scene where she grabs the greasy food and runs. "I've got to watch my figah. Potato salad. Thank yooooou." "Oh no hell she didn't. Get that big bitch!"

I don't know if anybody noticed this but there's a scene where the depraved Monique character asked Precious to help her masturbate. So wrong! "Come in here and help Momma some."

"TAKE YO ASS DOWN TO THE WELFARE!!! FUCK SHE THINKS SHE IS!"

When they have their knock out drag down catfight and Precious destroys the television, thereby eliminating Monique's only source of stimulation, causing her to grab the remains, hoist it down the hall and throw it onto Precious' head. Hysterically over the top only made more funny by the neighbour saying from next door "Leave that girl alone would you?"

And I was crying with laughter at this....

"That was my man. That was my motherfucking man. My man who was supposed to be lovin ME who was supposed to be making love to ME was FUCKING.... my baby! And she made him LEAVE! That's why I hated her!!!"

and of course, this literal black comedy masterpiece would not be complete without...

by Anonymousreply 5707/21/2013

I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can, Jill Clayburgh unintentionally hilarious. Her daughter is intentionally hilarious on American Horror Story, Jill should've realized sooner her real gift was comedy. I've already seen the movie 10 times this year, it's a favorite. Not the latter third in the mental hospital though, that's boring, disease of the week tripe.

by Anonymousreply 5807/21/2013

Hey r59, times are tough. So some people take a job in a fudge packing plant. You gotta do what you gotta do. Plus they get all the free fudge they can eat on their snack room breaks.

by Anonymousreply 6007/21/2013

There was a scene in The Family Stone where Diane Keaton and her daughter embraced in bed that was so sapphic and so riddled with unintended sexual tension that my sister and I had to leave the theater because we were laughing so hard.

by Anonymousreply 6107/21/2013

Sean Penn carrying on like a loon screaming, "Is that my daughter in there? Is that my daughter in there? " in MYSTIC RIVER. Over the top, hon. After a few drinks my ex used to like to get me to do it in the street for him.

Also, Laura Linnet's cuckoo-nutso monologue at the end.

by Anonymousreply 6207/21/2013

Dear [R43], Well, I would have said, "Go fuck your inflatable goat again," but you hadn't responded yet. Now go be a good frau and take your Midol suppository.

♥♥♥♥

by Anonymousreply 6307/21/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 6407/21/2013

MASK, I laughed my ass off when Rocky dies.

by Anonymousreply 6507/21/2013

A friend and I were the only ones in the theater watching the execrable "Rachel Getting Married" and to make the movie more entertaining we started making jokes and talking back to the characters on-screen.

by Anonymousreply 6607/21/2013

Claras heart. When whoopi tells nph that her son raped her then threw himself off a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 6707/21/2013

That one with Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid. I lost track of the number of times I laughed, including Quaid's big emotional scene.

Amy Adams in the Julia child flick. Was the real author that overwhelmed because she was cooking wearing *gasp* Pearls!? No wonder Child wanted nothing to do with her.

by Anonymousreply 6807/21/2013

R57, honey you win. I am appalled by you, but you win. I cried through most of "Precious", until they gave her the AIDS at the end, as the cherry on her lifecake. Then I said, on no you didn't and I was DONE.

by Anonymousreply 6907/21/2013

That actually happens, R67?!?!?!?!? I've never seen that picture. How/why the fuck does that happen?

I'll submit the go-go dancer bitch who gets blown away in FOR THE BOYS!!!!! Plus the horrid old age makeup.

by Anonymousreply 7007/21/2013

R60, I love you.

by Anonymousreply 7107/21/2013

The scene in The Godfather part 3 when Michael Corleone's daughter gets shot. Al Pacino's reaction was so ridiculously over the top I couldn't stop laughing.

by Anonymousreply 7207/21/2013

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Dobby the elf dies in Harry's arms whispering his devotion to the end. Much sobbing and wailing and one lone hysterical giggle-me. However I was really sad when Hedwig got it

by Anonymousreply 7307/21/2013

"Tay ina win..." cracks me up every time.

by Anonymousreply 7407/21/2013

R68 Julie Powell is as big a pill irl as she was in the movie. She also cheated on her long-suffering husband.

by Anonymousreply 7507/21/2013

I'll second the love scene in Monster's Ball. My husband and I will reference "make me FEEL GOOOOD" all the time and then burst into hysterical laughter.

by Anonymousreply 7607/21/2013

The forgotten 1972 film, "Pete n' Tillie", starring Carol Burnett, in her first dramatic role (this should've been the first warning). In a hilarious scene, Carol has an emotional collapse following the death of her 9-year-old son. And she swings for the nominating-committee seats--cursing God at the top of her lungs, spitting on a crucifix (or virgin Mary figurine, I can't remember), generally sounding like "hysterical Eunice" from those "Family" sketches on The Carol Burnett Show.

by Anonymousreply 7707/21/2013

I saw the re-release of "The Exorcist" in 2000 ("The Version You Haven't Seen!") and lost it during the crabwalk seen. The movie has been parodied too many times for anyone with a brain to take seriously.

by Anonymousreply 7807/21/2013

Also, Riding The Bus With My Sister.

How could you laugh at such great pathos? If only "The Day the Clown Cried" had been released, we could have compared and contrasted.

by Anonymousreply 7907/21/2013

"On the Waterfront Again."

There was something about the female lead that just made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 8007/21/2013

"I don't know if anybody noticed this but there's a scene where the depraved Monique character asked Precious to help her masturbate. So wrong! "Come in here and help Momma some."

I thought she said "Precious...come take care of Mommy." Or something to that effect.

And it wasn't masturbation that she had in mind. In the book, Precious's mom had her daughter eat her pussy! No kidding; a line I remember from the book is the Mommy imploring her baby "suck it, lick me, Precious." Since the filmmakers were so intent on rubbing the viewer's face in Precious's implausibly hellish life, I'm surprised they didn't include that line in the script.

by Anonymousreply 8107/21/2013

I remember laughing a lot during that Meryl Streep, Robert De Niro film about the married (to other people) couple who meet on a train and fall in love and annoying the humorless bitches I was watching it with on their TV. It may have been to do with the fact I'd had a VERY horrible experience that week and needed to laugh.

Talking of which, a lot of people find Brief Encounter very funny. I can see why.

by Anonymousreply 8307/21/2013

Brokeback mountain was hilarious. My partner and I saw it in Houston at the downtown indie theatre. Needless to say they stopped the movie and asked us to leave. My partner was so embarrassed. I was under the impression it was campy. Their sex scene. The awful accents. It was just excruciating to watch. I love the movie now but at the time it was just fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 8407/21/2013

Showgirls. In Antwerp, where they take Verhoeven seriously.

by Anonymousreply 8507/21/2013

So, R84, the theater made you quit them?

by Anonymousreply 8607/21/2013

Touché good sir touché!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8707/21/2013

I saw "The Story of O" at a midnight showing at the Memphian Theater.

At one point, there was a shot of O wearing a bird's mask, with a voiceover that said something like "O decided to attend the masquerade ball dressed as a bird of prey." The audience burst into laughter and continued to laugh throughout the remainder of the movie. Good times!

by Anonymousreply 8807/21/2013

Classic moment in 'Boxing Helena" where Sherilyn Fenn, a stump basically with her arms and legs cut off, looks dryly at Julian Sands who did it and says, "This doesn't change anything."

As bafflingly bad as it sounds. Whatever it cost Basinger to get out of it, it was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 8907/22/2013

Another Verhoeven movie, "Black Book."

by Anonymousreply 9007/22/2013

There's a line in at the end of 'Seven' where Kevin Spacey is in custody and being taken to the scene of his final crime. The cops know something is happening, and they pass a dead dog on the side of the road. Kevin Spacey dismissively says 'I didn't do THAT' and even though the ending is quite tense, that line makes me crack up every time I think of it.

by Anonymousreply 9107/22/2013

I can't take any film seriously after the bunnies have done it.

They've not done Precious yet. I await that with interest.

by Anonymousreply 9207/22/2013

Wow.

You I-laughed-out-loud types are so much more deeper and hip then me. Not. The fact that you look around the theatre to see if anybody is reacting to your laughter proves you are just an asshole.

Heckling a screening at a showing for the masses that you're also a part of?

Get over yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 9307/22/2013

Roman Polanski's BITTER MOON is comedy thinly disguised as bad drama

by Anonymousreply 9407/23/2013

'Pay It Forward' with Helen Hunt searching every possible hiding place for booze as if it were the hiding place of an Oscar; Kevin Spacey shyly revealing his scaly exterior as if he was stripping for an Oscar; Haley J Osment, smiling toothily, hoping getting stabbed would give him an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 9507/23/2013

R93 eats the feces of old people.

by Anonymousreply 9607/23/2013

I can't ever be bored or masochistic enough that I would feel compelled to watch "Precious."

by Anonymousreply 9707/23/2013

If a white guy had come up with Precious it would have been seen as the single most racially offensive book and movie ever. A fat black girl stealing fried chicken?

People also forget about her retarded AIDS baby that she had when her father knocked her up! The baby just haaaaddd to have downs syndrome, having AIDS just wasn't enough.

by Anonymousreply 9807/23/2013

R94, I found it a compelling drama. Maybe I'm weird.

by Anonymousreply 9907/23/2013

When the dog died in "Song of the South," the kid behind me sneered at his brother, "See? I TOLD you he was going to die." That set me off, and I was guffawing amid an audience of weeping children and their parents.

By the way, there shouldn't have been a comma in the headline of this thread. I knew you'd want to know.

by Anonymousreply 10007/23/2013

[quote]Classic moment in 'Boxing Helena" where Sherilyn Fenn, a stump basically with her arms and legs cut off, looks dryly at Julian Sands who did it and says, "This doesn't change anything."

When the camera first cut away to show Helena limbless, my friend started singing this.

by Anonymousreply 10107/23/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 10207/23/2013

R98 and others re: Precious -

It's undoubtedly OTT but remember, that shit was all based on a book so blame that heifer Sapphire for making it a melodramatic shitfest.

by Anonymousreply 10307/24/2013

pretty much anything french

by Anonymousreply 10407/24/2013

Pacific Rim.

by Anonymousreply 10507/24/2013

A few moments during the self-important Dark Knight. The one that sticks out is during the press conference after the Joker has taken out a bunch of cops and there is a close up of some anonymous police officer screaming "NO MORE DEAD COPS!" as if he just learned to read, sounding out each word. Cracks me up every time.

by Anonymousreply 10607/24/2013

[quote] I can't take any film seriously after the bunnies have done it.

Have the Peeps done Precious?

by Anonymousreply 10707/24/2013

[quote]pretty much anything french

Nothing says "flyover trailer-trash doesn't-even-have-a-passport redneck" more...

by Anonymousreply 10807/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.