Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is suburban Detroit like?

I have heard that some of Detroit's burbs are leafy and lovely. But why on earth would anyone want to live outside...Detroit? Explain please.

by Anonymousreply 1207/24/2013

Suburban Detroit is VERY nice. I was just there yesterday. I'd love to live there. Don't knock it 'til you've seen it.

by Anonymousreply 107/22/2013

Grosse Pointe is more or less like the North Shore suburbs of Chicago. Rich, white, well-manicured, big emphasis on the waterfront and lakeside activities.

[quote]But why on earth would anyone want to live outside...Detroit?

Because the American automotive industry is still headquartered there.

by Anonymousreply 207/22/2013

OP, my dad grew up in a Detroit suburb, and many of his friends still live there. I've been there many times, and it's a perfectly lovely area -- still largely affluent, too. The cuts to the American auto industry have predominantly affected factory workers, not executives, so Detroit's white-collar types are still mostly doing well.

That said, no one in the 'burbs would ever even THINK about going into Detroit proper, except for the unfortunate few stuck working at GM's world headquarters, which is still located in downtown Detroit. Detroit, the city, effectively no longer exists for these upscale suburbanites. The closest I've ever gotten to downtown is seeing it from a mile or two away while crossing over from Detroit into Windsor, Ontario, just across the water.

by Anonymousreply 307/22/2013

They go to ballgames there and they still identify with Detroit. They don't say, "I'm from Troy." They might say, "Michigan." But usually they say "Detroit."

by Anonymousreply 407/22/2013

For some people, very nice. Mitt's school.

by Anonymousreply 507/23/2013

It always seems to breathe peace and make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 607/23/2013

[quote]But why on earth would anyone want to live outside...Detroit?

Low cost of living, abundance of jobs for educated professionals, excellent city services, low taxes, and great schools in many suburbs, and lots of cultural amenities in Detroit and Ann Arbor.

by Anonymousreply 707/23/2013

You had me until low taxes, R7. MI's property taxes are ridic.

by Anonymousreply 807/23/2013

Some very nice, very pleasant 'burbs. Farmington Hills, Novi, Bloomfield Hills, etc. Really -- sick of all the hate for Detroit, when the place actually has a lot of good going for it. Yes, including leafy, beautiful suburban areas.

by Anonymousreply 907/23/2013

[quote]MI's property taxes are ridic.

Michigan doesn't have state-wide property taxes.

by Anonymousreply 1007/23/2013

I have family in the Lansing area who pay nearly $10k/year in property taxes on a ~$350k home. I've also noticed that the property taxes on many of those $1,000 Detroit houses can run you $3k-$4k a year. Talk about a deal killer!

by Anonymousreply 1107/23/2013

We're talking about suburban Detroit, R11. City of Detroit taxes are the highest in the state, and Lansing's are up there, too. Suburban taxes are quite low.

by Anonymousreply 1207/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.