Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rae Dawn Chong vs. Oprah

Not sure why the other thread was deleted, but WTF is with Rae going off on the big O during a radio interview? Rae was never one to bite her tongue, but the things she allegedly said seem kind of odd, particularly since Rae was just on Oprah's show a few years ago for the 25 anniversary of The Color Purple, and everything seemed copacetic.

by Anonymousreply 2807/26/2013

I'm the OP of the other thread. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 107/19/2013

It's gone, I could still access it a few moments ago, then I refreshed the page, and it disappeared from my watched threads list.

by Anonymousreply 207/19/2013

Probably because somebody used the N-word and compared it to a similar N-word. It was a valid claim.

by Anonymousreply 307/19/2013

Not sure, R1. Here's her explanation video.

by Anonymousreply 407/19/2013

I enjoyed her candor, and believe every word of it!

by Anonymousreply 507/19/2013

Me too

by Anonymousreply 607/19/2013

"Harpo! Who dis woman?"

Be very afraid. With some lipstick and Calorie Counters, she will one day twist around and OWN my name, HARPO; able to squash you like a juke joint junebug.

by Anonymousreply 707/19/2013

WHY is she so angry with Oprah? That is not clear in any of this. Did I miss that memo? What the hell would make her SO angry at Miss O?

by Anonymousreply 807/19/2013

I think it's refreshing that someone actually said out loud what many people in show business say about her behind her back. No one watches her network. Gale is an entitled clone who thought she could go on Julie Chen's show and dis her. It was a full on passive aggressive attack on someone who actually earned her credentials as a news reporter. Gale is most famous for being Oprah's best friend. I was pleased that One Life To Live and All My Children were going to run on OWN because I can't watch on HuLu. When I read that she was going to feed the fame monster by putting that train wreck Lindsay Lohan up in our faces yet again, and pay her handsomely, I just said fuck it. I can do without the soaps.

by Anonymousreply 907/20/2013

Michael K at Dlisted had it SO right:

"Yes, Rae Dawn Chong still exists and while she was waiting in line for the extras open call for Sharknado 2, she called into Matty P’s Radio Happy Hour to trash God’s understudy on Earth, Oprah."

by Anonymousreply 1007/20/2013

[quote]God’s understudy on Earth, Oprah

Yes! That's what Oprah thinks about herself.

by Anonymousreply 1107/20/2013

What is it about Oprah that people "hate?" I don't get it at all. No one gave her anything. She rose up through the ranks of journalism through hard work and ambition. She earned her chops. And if the nation took to her, eventually, then why not? Uber successful people always are targets. She has done more good in the world than harm. In fact, she has not done any harm at all. She covered so many social problems on her shows over the years, from rape to homophobia to all sorts of other diseases and problems. She has started schools. Donated lots of money to lots of causes. More than ANY of you posters have done for the world. (including me, of course). I mean, I know she can seem detached from reality sometimes and perhaps a bit sanctimonious but, basically, she seems like a good person. What is WRONG with all that empowerment stuff and "learn to love yourself" stuff? If it makes your eyes roll, then fine, but it sends out a good message. If the frauen of the land love or loved her, then good for them, I say. Is it simply jealousy that make people say such nasty things about her? Oprah enjoys her life, pretty much, admits her addictions (food) and actually HANDLES fame. Is that what makes people jealous? Personally, I am glad her show ended because I was a bit sick of seeing her all over the place. But I don't begrudge her anything. I think she is likeable.

And I STILL have ZERO idea why Rae Dawn Chong is pissed at her.

by Anonymousreply 1207/20/2013

R12 = Gayle King

by Anonymousreply 1307/20/2013

Nope, R13, but I ALSO think Gayle King does a great job on the CBS morning news, too! So there. She is professional, articulate and miles above the circus on ABC or NBC. Robin Roberts is about everything BUT news. Her illness, her bravery, her "story," her "journey." I am glad for her and admire her but cannot watch her anymore. And Savannah Guthrie has no upper lip, Matt Lauer is an assclown and Al Roker (mister "I shit my pants') is creepy. The best morning show is Charlie Rose and Gayle King. She may BE Oprah's shill but I give her props. So sue me.

by Anonymousreply 1407/20/2013

Is that the best you can do, R13? zzzzzzzzzzzz. It was just as boring on the other thread.

R12, here's why these rancid DL queens hate Oprah:

1. She's black

2. She's fat

3. She's female

4. She's middle-aged

5. She's rich

6. She's powerful

by Anonymousreply 1507/20/2013

I am not a fan of Oprah but I do not get the rabid hate either.

I am extremely disappointed in Rae Dawn Chong because so much of her vitriol is aimed at Oprah's appearance.

by Anonymousreply 1607/20/2013

Sounds like someone is desperate for attention.

by Anonymousreply 1707/20/2013

Miss Chong wrote and sang this little ditty from her film "Soul Man", the same film where she met her future (at the time) husband, C. Thomas Howell...

by Anonymousreply 1807/20/2013

I'm surprised the black community isn't up in arms at light skinned RDC calling dark skinned Oprah a "field n****r.

by Anonymousreply 1907/20/2013

Her father is Tommy Chong. She gets a pass.

by Anonymousreply 2007/20/2013

She shouldn't be jealous. I mean, did anyone ever write a song about OPRAH???

by Anonymousreply 2107/20/2013

I used to like Oprah but thought she became a caricature when she started hyping up those "Oprah's Favorite Things" bonanza shows. It was just such a gross display of consumerism and capitalist greed that it really turned me off.

Plus I really loathed the way she kissed celebrities' asses like George Clooney and Julia Roberts and helped to keep vigil over well known closet cases like Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

Also her ill-advised adventures in Africa were distasteful. You could tell that she only built that school as some sort of vanity project and once any hint of scandal began to surround the venture, she booked. She didn't care about those girls...she just wanted to showcase her "magnanimous generosity" on her show.

by Anonymousreply 2207/20/2013

"And I want to thank you, Rae Dawn, on behalf of all the women in the world, for your unfailing attention and concern. But read my lips and remember, as hard as it is to believe, sometimes we like talking just to each other, and sometimes we like just being alone."

by Anonymousreply 2307/20/2013

I can't find the actual interview anywhere, not even on the radio host's page, which says something about Oprah's power. Oprah's contracta do not let former workers discuss her ever so it's refreshing to find out what she's actually like. Back in the day, she was a brownnoser, according to Chong. Now, she fluctuates between being the angry Yahweh of the old testament and the merciful god of the first. The use of the n-word is never appropriate and Chong was out of her mind to use it but her larger point was that she made it without having light skin and caucasian features, as most successful African American actors and anchors are expected to have. Oh, and she did hard news for maybe two years. All she did in Chicago on ABC was stick a mike in people's faces and do softball interviews.

by Anonymousreply 2407/20/2013

Correcting typos: contracta should be contracts; god of the first should be god of the new testament.

by Anonymousreply 2507/20/2013

It's funny how this story has completely disappeared from the news gossip cycle. Is this a sign of the scary power of Oprah?

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2013

Tommy Chong came out with a statement supporting his daughter's remarks. He said Oprah'd probably chuckle at what Rae said and agree with it.

by Anonymousreply 2707/26/2013

Roger Friedman thinks Oprah is a shoo-in for the Oscar.

I swear.

by Anonymousreply 2807/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.