Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"I don't care what people think of me"

In my experience, anyone who says this actually cares very deeply about what people think of them.

by Anonymousreply 1907/24/2013

Thanks, Dr. Adler.

by Anonymousreply 107/19/2013

You don`t have enough experience.

by Anonymousreply 207/19/2013

Agree OP. I have always felt that there's a little bit of "the lady doth protest too much" in that assertion.

If you truly are indifferent, you ignore people and make no comment of what they might or might not think.

by Anonymousreply 307/19/2013

My experience is anyone who tells you what they think of you, especially if what they think is negative, is doing so because they hope to get a reaction from you or have some impact. When you let it be known what they think is not important to you, you're pretty much telling them they have failed.

by Anonymousreply 407/19/2013

I don't want to win an Oscar. I don't. I don't.

by Anonymousreply 507/19/2013

It depends on the context OP. One time at work a coworker told me some people think I'm a loner. I shrugged and said "I don't care what they think." Not because I secretly do care, but because I really could care less.

by Anonymousreply 607/19/2013

OP I don't care if you think I really care cuz I don't care. Check out my interview in USA today

by Anonymousreply 707/19/2013

"I'm not here to make friends."

by Anonymousreply 807/19/2013

R1, Ha!

I feel this way, OP, but somehow never feel the need to voice it.

by Anonymousreply 907/19/2013

At 67 years old I truly don't give a shit what anyone thinks of me. I often relish playing a bit of a villain.

by Anonymousreply 1007/19/2013

If you relish playing a bit of a villain, OP, then your self-perception is wrapped up in that role. Thus: you DO care.

Caring what people think doesn't necessarily mean you want to be viewed positively. It means you want them to have some kind of opinion about you.

by Anonymousreply 1107/19/2013

There are lots of people who don't care what other people think, and aren't afraid to say so.

Like, the sort of hardcore computer nerds who think that personal grooming is illogical.

by Anonymousreply 1207/20/2013

I'm with OP.

OTOH, I used to have a saying: I don't care what people say about me behind my back; it's what they have the nerve to say to my goddamned face that pisses me off.

by Anonymousreply 1307/20/2013

r13, You rock!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1407/20/2013

R13, then you have very thin skin.

by Anonymousreply 1507/20/2013

R6 could or couldn't?

by Anonymousreply 1607/20/2013

Diane to Sam on Cheers: "Remember, Sam. The opposite of love is not hate -- but indifference."

Sam: "Well, whatever. I really don't care."

by Anonymousreply 1707/20/2013

The older I get the less I care. My friends, who are all roughly the same age, seem to say the same thing-you just can't sit around caring what others think of you. I think I'm kind to people and treat them with respect, but if you don't still don't like me, what can I do about it?

I see my cousin who is a nice, funny woman but she is crippled by insecurity and wondering what people think. She's turned down dates because she worries that her friends might not approve of the guy, she doesn't go to the movies alone because "what will people think?". Every single action is based on "what will people think?". It's a horrible way to live.

by Anonymousreply 1807/20/2013

I don't want people to think of me. I want people to appreciate the work I produce, not the person who did the work.

by Anonymousreply 1907/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.