Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Baseball fans register rage on Twitter over Marc Anthony's singing of "God Bless America" at the All Star Game

Truly disgusting. They don't realize that song was written by a Irving Berlin, a Russian-Jewish immigrant.

by Anonymousreply 3107/24/2013

Or the fact that Anthony was born in America.

by Anonymousreply 107/19/2013

He is an American!!!! Fucking, racist shits. I actually like his singing.

I have an unrelated question though - what's with the face twitching?

by Anonymousreply 207/19/2013

What year is this that we still have so many morons who don't comprehend that not only white and black people are born and raised in the US?

Look at that little boy who sang at the Spurs games. All of that bile from idiotic bigots. His own father is a military vet.

They have no problem with American superheroes all being played by Brits, but don't you dare be brown-skinned and claim you're American.

by Anonymousreply 407/19/2013

I hope R3 is being sarcastic (ie. Obama/Kenya), but these days on DL, you can never tell.

by Anonymousreply 507/19/2013

Well, r3, even if he wasn't born in New York City, which he was, he is still Puerto Rican.

He's American.

by Anonymousreply 607/19/2013

I know R5. This place is infested.

by Anonymousreply 707/19/2013

Tea Baggers must be behind this.

by Anonymousreply 807/19/2013

Next thing you know they'll be letting Hispanics *play* baseball! What is this country coming to?!

by Anonymousreply 907/19/2013

He was born in New York City.

Good god, we have some dumb people here.

by Anonymousreply 1007/19/2013

This is what most Americans are like. Why does this surprise anyone?

by Anonymousreply 1107/19/2013

The link is to a short version.You can see the full version on youtube. It is a lovely version of the song.

by Anonymousreply 1207/19/2013

It's a wretched song.

by Anonymousreply 1307/19/2013

I agree r12 He did a great job and very heartfelt.

by Anonymousreply 1407/19/2013

Immigrant goes to America / Many hellos in America / Nobody knows in America / Puerto Rico's in America!

by Anonymousreply 1507/19/2013

Does that mean that I, an American, can't sing another country's national anthem? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1607/19/2013

I'm with R13. Like everything else Berlin wrote, its just the same, unimaginative melody repeated over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 1707/19/2013

R13, R17, Have you ever thought that the great Irving Berlin purposely wrote simple melodies, so that a wide variety of non-singers could sing them without difficulty? It's the words that make his songs fab. Also, a more talented singer could easily make this and other songs sound very special.

by Anonymousreply 1807/19/2013

I preferred when he did the speech over the body of Caesar. I lent him my ear.

by Anonymousreply 1907/19/2013

R18 That really doesn't change the fact that its the same tune repeated ad nauseam.

by Anonymousreply 2007/19/2013

You would never hear me sing one of those old Irving Berlin songs. I don't like songs that repeat the same stuff over and over.

Ah'm gonna dance wit sombodah!

Wit sombodah who loves me.

by Anonymousreply 2107/19/2013

I agree, Whitney.

You're beautiful!

You're beautiful!

You're beautiful!

You're beautiful!

You're beautiful!

You're beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 2207/19/2013

We would never sing that awful Berlin music with all the repetition.

Doan chew want somebody to love?

by Anonymousreply 2307/19/2013

Tea Baggers are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2407/22/2013

[quote]That really doesn't change the fact that its the same tune repeated ad nauseam.

No it isn't! It's got two verses, a bridge, and a phenomenal coda. WTF?

On the other hand, linked is a song that was written for the Marvelettes, who passed on it so it was given to us with me on the solo, but then Berry made the decision Diane would sing all the solos. At first I thought it was a stupid song...but an arrangement can make a big difference

It has a total of three chords, repetitive back up vocals consisting of one word and the title phrase, and it carries the same tune over and over throughout the ENTIRE song - no chorus, no bridge, just the three-chord verse. And it was a huge hit...and most people love the tune, the beat, and the lyrics.

You can't just judge a song by the amount of musicality used to build it, the words, performance and emotion behind it seem to also be very important.

by Anonymousreply 2507/22/2013

Marc Anthony was on The Today Show this morning and spoke about the controversy.

by Anonymousreply 2607/23/2013

It's just racism, plain and simple. Back not so long ago Sammy Davis Jr. or Lena Horne or Rita Moreno would NEVER have been allowed to sing God Bless America at a ballgame. Bigots want to hear Wayne Newton or Julie Andrews (who is British! LOL)

by Anonymousreply 2707/23/2013

The dark side's callin' now Nothin' is real

She'll never know just how I feel

From out of the shadows

She walks like a dream

Makes me feel crazy

Makes me feel so mean

Ain't nothin' gonna save you

From a love that's blind

You slip to the dark side

Across that line

On the dark side, oh yeah

On the dark side, oh yeah

The dark side's callin' now Nothin' is real She'll never know just how I feel From out of the shadows She walks like a dream Makes me feel crazy Makes me feel so mean

Ain't nothin' gonna save you From a love that's blind You slip to the dark side Across that line On the dark side, oh yeah On the dark side, oh yeah

[Instrumental Interlude]

Ain't nothin' gonna save you From a love that's blind You slip to the dark side Across that line On the dark side, oh yeah On the dark side, oh yeah On the dark side, oh yeah On the dark side, ooooh yeah

by Anonymousreply 2807/23/2013

pathetic. He's a great singer and even if he weren't from the US (which he is!!) it shouldn't matter. I really despise rednecks.

by Anonymousreply 2907/23/2013

I heard a U.S. Navy choir in Australia singing the Aussie national anthem - Advance Australia Fair. The sailors almost got hugged to death by the Aussies who were trilled to hear the Yank sailors sing their song.

by Anonymousreply 3007/24/2013

[quote]Back not so long ago Sammy Davis Jr. or Lena Horne or Rita Moreno would NEVER have been allowed to sing God Bless America at a ballgame. Bigots want to hear Wayne Newton or Julie Andrews (who is British! LOL)

Celine Dion sang "God Bless America" at the TRIBUTE FOR HEROES televised concert they did shortly after 9/11. There was no controversy. Is it 'cause she's Canadian (most Americans see Canadians as extensions of themselves) and/or white?

by Anonymousreply 3107/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.