Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Celebs with Aspergers

Definitely Matt Bomer, very possibly Chris Pine.

Any other candidates?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 10811/23/2014

Why do you say Chris Pine?

I always thought David Caruso came off as autistic on CSI but maybe that was a conscious choice?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 207/18/2013

OP, do you know what autism spectrum is?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 307/18/2013

OP???

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 407/18/2013

Tim Burton

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 507/18/2013

Are you sure talking with your hands is a sign of Aspberger's?

My partner thinks I have a touch of it. I've thought the same. But, I don't talk like or really act differently. Primarily, I have a habit of just stating facts, or being blunt, not realizing that the people I'm communicating with are coming to a boil-furiously angry, and I don't even realize it or understand why.

It happens about half the time post on here, Ha Ha.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 807/18/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1007/18/2013

Do you think the rugged, virile DILF Elias Koteas suffers from Asperger's Syndrome? He breathes heavily, speaks in a very soft childlike voice, and gesticulates madly with his hands during interviews - see 3:45-4:30 of linked clip.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1107/18/2013

Phyllis McGuire, Hank Azaria, Diane Rehm, John McCain, Barry Bostwick, and the Duchess of Cornwall. This groups makes as much sense as the sociopath OP's list.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1207/18/2013

Kristen Stewart

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1307/18/2013

Annette Bening

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1407/18/2013

Daniel Radcliffe...always looks down during interviews.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1507/18/2013

This thread is moronic.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1607/18/2013

Jesse Eisenberg, Al Gore

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1707/18/2013

Bill Gates too

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1807/18/2013

Jennifer Jason Leigh is the Queen of Aspergers.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 1907/18/2013

I thought the dsmv extinguished the label of Asphergers Syndrome.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 2007/18/2013

Marty Balin

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 2107/18/2013

Chaz Bono, and most of all other 'transgenders' and 'gender queers.'

That's why I don't make fun of her and why I try to be kind. However, I do not appreciate her attempt to normalize her condition to us the 'neurotypicals.'

And the whole thing seems like one big mass hypnosis experiment.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 2207/18/2013

Henry Cavill. Shows NO emotion whatsoever not only in interviews, but in his acting.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 2307/18/2013

Also, Johnny Depp. He's creepy.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 2407/18/2013

Oddly Keanu Reeves, Bob Dylan and Dan Ackroyd are sometimes mentioned

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 2507/18/2013

Gale harold

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 2607/18/2013

Bomer said in a recent interview that he enjoys quantum physics.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 3007/18/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 3107/18/2013

Jesse Eisenberg has publicly acknowledged he's diagnosed with fairly crippling obsessive-compulsive disorder. That's considered "on the spectrum" and in severe cases can be indistinguishable from high functioning autism.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 3407/18/2013

Is Asberger's DL's new favorite pop psychology diagnosis?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 3507/18/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 3607/18/2013

Cruise is a sociopath, not an aspie.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 3707/18/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 3807/18/2013

[quote]Cruise is a sociopath, not an aspie.

He's both. And a narcissist.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 3907/18/2013

Most TV writers.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 4007/18/2013

As the father of a 25 year old kid with Asperger's I think you're all fucking ill-informed. The great majority of people with Asperger's also have severe anxiety over simple adult situations like job interviews, learning to drive, maintain friendships, organize daily living. They're almost always very bright but very awkward. Over the years I've heard of one girl on the spectrum who was a college actress but no way would any but the most atypical Aspie have the psychological and neurological wherewithal to break into, much less achieve stardom, in a cutthroat, high-wire profession that requires social acuity, and the ability to manage persistent, major anxiety and unusual phobias.

Yeah, Bill Gates can have Asperger's and be a phenom in his field because it's such an Aspie friendly environment. Matt Bomer? Because he flips his hands around? You have no fucking clue.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 4107/18/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 4307/18/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 4407/18/2013

Crispin Glover

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 4507/18/2013

R41 makes a lot of good points - but in college, I knew people on the spectrum who loved the theater and did act. Autistic people are like everyone else in that they have their own unique temperaments, interests and strengths and weaknesses. Some of them are very shy and some of them are outgoing and some of them enjoy performing, like everyone else.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 4707/18/2013

Some of you are confusing nervousness with autism-spectrum disorders. Here's a news flash, anyone doing an interview for national TV is going to be nervous! And they're going to fidget and their gaze will wander, and they don't behave that way all the time.

Still, I've always wondered about Cruise. There's something so deeply off about him.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 4807/18/2013

How about Mark Zuckerberg? I saw a few interviews that he did where he didn't blink once. That has to be some kind of syndrome.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 4907/18/2013

it would explain cruise's asexuality.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5007/18/2013

As an Aspie, I think that none of the actors mentioned thus far, with the possibly exception of Jesse Eisenberg, have visible behavior that is consistent with those of Aspies I know. Even Eisenberg I may be considering in light of the roles I've seen him in.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5107/18/2013

Zuckerberg is definitely an Aspie.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5207/18/2013

"Aspie" is such an annoying word. Deafies. Blindies. Cancerettes!

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5307/18/2013

Franco

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5407/18/2013

W&W R53!

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5507/18/2013

I'm a womon of neuro-divergence. If I look away while talking, I'm living my own reality. Please respect my boundaries, I'm telling you NOW so I don't have to tell you THEN.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5607/18/2013

My whole family is Aspie. It's highly hereditary and the high functioning end of autism is a spectrum, so you have people like Sheldon on BIg Bang Theory and you have comedians like Dan Aykroid and they are both Aspie / HFA.

Acting is an acquired talent for many aspies who are in fact constantly in character in social situations.

Some of these are mild but still make my shortlist.

Henry Cavill Angelina Jolie Diane Kruger Mark Zuckerberg Woody Allen Tom Cruise ScarJo Crispin Glover Keanu Reeves January Jones Tim Burton Jesse Eisenberg Kristen Stewart Darryl Hannah (admitted) David Byrne Meg Ryan

Lots of musicians are Aspie. Most comedians are ADHD, which shares a lot of the same characteristics and is genetically related somehow.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5707/19/2013

I second Kristen Stewart.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5807/19/2013

How about Roseanne? Or is she just mentally insane?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 5907/19/2013

it sounds like you're confusing Aspergers with ADD. Chris Pine just seems like he has ADD, not Aspergers.

BTW, I have a friend who insists on pronouncing Aspergers with a soft g, so it doesn't sound like 'assburgers' like most people say it. She uses a 'g' as in 'mergers', so it's Aspergggers. Drives me nuts, but is she right?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6007/19/2013

We should string up the guy who mainstreamed Aspergers.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6107/19/2013

Glenn Gould

Andy Warhol

Ludwig Wittgenstein

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6207/19/2013

I have always believed, and mentioned here on various Tom Cruise-related threads, that he's likely on the spectrum.

He's so "off" in real-world situations because it's ALL acting for him -- he doesn't seem to process normal human emotions properly, so he works hard at simulating them. But since it's all fake, he often comes across as not quite right.

He's hardworking, disciplined and ambitious, so becoming a professional actor was probably just an extension of his everyday acting efforts.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6307/19/2013

R63 I think a lot of people confuse that "divorced" quality that people like Cruise - and Mitt Romney - have with autism spectrum, but IMO that's also feature of high-functioning sociopathy. I don't see any of the physical signs of Aspergers in either of them. I rewatched the Tom Cruise - Matt Lauer interview and nothing in it strikes me as Aspielike.

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the high holy grail of Aspiedom, Stephen Sondheim.

Here's one I'm genuinely curious about - Christopher Nolan. All his films are about introspective, emotionally isolated loners, he doesn't seem particularly interested in romance or sex but doesn't seem gay, he likes to use the same actors over and over again... in fact I wonder if people are reading Henry Cavill as Aspie because of "Man of Steel", in which Nolan arguably gave us an Aspie Superman.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6407/19/2013

Father of 25 year old Asperger son again. One more thing. Someone on this thread suggested people with Asperger are emotionless. I've seen them described elsewhere as robotic, cold, even sociopathic because some misperceive them as lacking emotion. Absolutely false. They have all the emotions of the neuro-typical. They just don't always express them, modulate them in ways others are more used to.

I get tired of any kind of awkward. ill-timed, errant or confusing behavior now being labeled "Aha! Asperger's!" These folks are deeply human just like everyone else and they come with the full range of human emotion. And they exist despite what the latest DSM says.

Raising this kid has been hard work, frustrating, sad, surprising, and it's not over yet despite his age but I love him to death. I was meant to be his dad and wouldn't trade him for any other kid in the world. Finis.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6507/19/2013

I think Glenn sometimes seems a little 'off'.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6607/19/2013

r60 that is how it is pronounced in the UK. It is pronounced with a hard G in the US.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6707/19/2013

r63 I think you are absolutely right, you totally hit it. Tom Cruise is really almost textbook Aspergers.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6807/19/2013

Tim Burton.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 6907/19/2013

r64 why don't you share with us some of the "physical signs of Aspergers" you speak of? Because I work in the field and I'd say 50% of aspies have no physical manifestation whatsoever.

Tom Cruise does, however. He makes extremely intense eye contact, seemingly without awareness that it makes the person he is talking to uncomfortable. He's also very rote in his language.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 7007/19/2013

I think the auditing of Scientology would make anyone turn into a person with some form of mental illness. They take self analysis and justification of every single thought you have to most most extreme level of narcissistic analysis possible. Everything Tom Cruise does is self hyperanalyzed to the point he has no clue how to just be and just let be. He's so into his thoughts and trying to prove he doesn't commit "crimes" just by thinking any little thing, he's no longer human but as close to a robot any person can achieve. I pity the zombie.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 7207/19/2013

Daniel Tosh

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 7307/19/2013

[quote]He makes extremely intense eye contact, seemingly without awareness that it makes the person he is talking to uncomfortable.

That's the antithesis of Aspergers behavior.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 7407/19/2013

Intense eye contact = sociopathy

[quote]Perhaps the most noticeable aspect of my confidence is the way I sustain eye contact. Some people have called it the "predator stare." Sociopaths are unfazed by uninterrupted eye contact. Our failure to look away politely is also perceived as being aggressive or seductive. It can throw people off balance, but often in an exciting way that imitates the unsettling feeling of infatuation. Do you ever find yourself using charm and confidence to get people to do things for you that they otherwise wouldn't? Some might call it manipulation, but I like to think I'm using what God gave me.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 7507/19/2013

r74 Actually it is not. It can go either way. If you've been evaluated you would know that. The particular question a doc seeks to answer is (1) if a person avoids eye contact OR (2) if a person unnaturally stares at other people.

Don't mean to make a huge statement over this but there are so many 'stereotypes' of Aspergers, even within the autism community, based on how certain behaviors are exhibited. It's a wide spectrum.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 7607/19/2013

Reading the sociopath's essay, there does seem to be an overlapping area when it comes to people-reading:

[quote]Remorse is alien to me. I have a penchant for deceit. I am generally free of entangling and irrational emotions. I am strategic and canny, intelligent and confident, but I also struggle to react appropriately to other people's confusing and emotion-driven social cues.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 7707/19/2013

Josh Hartnett was so subtly convincing in Mozart and the Whale that I've wondered about him in real life. Anyone?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 7807/19/2013

Hartnett = very good eye contact, no hand fidgeting. Doubtful.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 7907/19/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8007/19/2013

I would draw a line between Aspergers "staring" and neurotypical and sociopathic eye contact. Zuckerberg is a good example of the staring; while intense it also has an unfocused, "glassy" quality, like a camera lens open to its widest aperture. It doesn't have the "on point" quality that I see in Cruise.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8107/19/2013

Keanu Reeves has always seemed unusual. I think he is more able to express himself now but I believe he learns his talking points, the way he learns his lines. Communication seems very hard for him. Maybe because he can't ever be honest?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8207/19/2013

I don't know how to explain Tom Cruise and his fanatical beliefs? It seems like insanity.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8307/19/2013

Tom Cruise, who is dyslexic, was probably diagnosed with something much more serious as a companion disability and embraced Scientology which rejects all psychiatric evaluations.

He found a home in Scientology where he is not dyslexic, not ADHD, not Asperger's, but merely misunderstood and in fact, superior.

cults flourish because they give a 'home' to the emotionally needy.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8407/19/2013

"I'm genuinely curious about - Christopher Nolan. All his films are about introspective, emotionally isolated loners, he doesn't seem particularly interested in romance or sex but doesn't seem gay, he likes to use the same actors over and over again"

That could easily be a description of Tim Burton's films, and in Burton's case, there are rumors that he really has a form of autism. Indeed, his fans joke about it or accept it, and if it's true, he's the only celebrity I can ever see as coming out as autistic.

Which is still pretty damn unlikely, but he's the only famous person I can think of whose career would not be affected.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8507/19/2013

I've never seen Burton interviewed about his films, so I don't know how he comes across.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8607/19/2013

Why is DL so obsessed with this? Is it because a lot of you have Aspergers?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8707/19/2013

DL and Internet forums in general are hotbeds of Aspiedom.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8807/20/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 8907/20/2013

Matt Bomer's Aspergers, illustrated

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9007/31/2013

R87 All forums are obsessed with playing armchair psychiatrists. It's unfortunate.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9107/31/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9208/05/2013

R82, read an interview with Keanu Reeves, especially a few older ones he did with friends like River Phoenix, and you'll see he is a profoundly insightful, self-aware and sensitive person. He is very, very shy and a classic introvert, but he is very clearly not on the autism spectrum.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9308/05/2013

Quentin Tarantino

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9408/05/2013

R90 No not really.

Research by Nierenberg and Calero on the hands-clenched position brought them to the conclusion that this was a frustration gesture, signalling that the person was holding back a negative attitude. The gesture has three main positions,

The person would be more difficult to handle when the hands are held high, than he would be with the person whom hands resting on the desk position. Like all negative gestures, some action needs to be taken to unlock the person’s fingers to expose the palms and the front of the body, or the hostile attitude will remain. People who are confident, superior types or who use minimal or restricted body gestures often use this gesture, and, by doing so, they signal their confident attitude. It is frequently used in superior/subordinate interaction and that it can be an isolated gesture which indicates a confident or 'know-it-all' attitude. Managers often use this gesture position when giving instructions or advice to subordinates and it is particularly common among accountants, lawyers, managers and the like. The gesture has two versions,

The Raised Steeple - The position is normally taken when the steepler is giving his opinions or ideas and is doing the talking. The Lowered Steeple - The position is normally used when the steepler is listening rather than speaking.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9508/05/2013

What about David Gandy?

Very poor eye contact, also has the "divorced" quality.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9608/07/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9708/08/2013

Obviously, being beautiful.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9808/08/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 9908/08/2013

[quote]But it gets worse. Gandy's list of troubles grows and grows as he admits to being shy, terrible at chatting up women, not as academically bright as he would like to be ("I wouldn't be doing this job if I could be a vet."), a workaholic ("If either a relationship or my work must suffer, then I'm afraid it has to be the relationship"), an outsider ("I've never really fitted in anywhere. I've always felt a little on the sidelines"), friendless in fashion-land ("I can't say I have many [friends] from the fashion industry. I've been modelling for 10 years, so that says quite a lot"), and 'weird' ("Yes. I can get on with my own life, my own 'perfections', without needing to explain that weirdness to someone else").

BING BING BING BING.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 10010/17/2013

I may be missing something, but when I look at R90's tumblr on Matt Bomer, I don't see how this is Asperger's. Is it the vacant look in his eyes? Perhaps it would be more telling in person.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 10110/17/2013

Vacant look and intense hand grasping

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 10210/17/2013

He hides it pretty well. There a lot of people like this today. I don't know if it's the computers or what else.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 10310/17/2013

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 10401/10/2014

Find the Aspie.

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 10509/07/2014

R105 First one on the left?

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 10609/09/2014

Chris Pine last night

by Stanley Kubrick's collection of door photographsreply 10711/23/2014
Need more help? Click Here.