Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lead actor, drama

hugh bonneville, bryan cranston, jeff daniels, jon hamm, damien lewis, kevin spacey

lead actreess, drama

connie britton, claire daines, michelle dockery, vera farmiga, elizabeth moss, kerry washington, robin wright

lead actor, miniseries/movie

benedict cumberbatch, matt damon, michael douglas, toby jones, al pacino

lead actress, miniseries/movie

jessica lange, laura linney, helen mirren, elizabeth moss, sigourney weaver

lead actor, comedy

alec baldwin, jason bateman, louis ck, don cheadle, matt leblanc, jim parsons

lead actress, comedy

laura dern, lena dunham, edie falco, tina fey, julia louis-dreyfuss, amy poehler

american horror story, behind the candleabra, the bible, phil spector, political animals, top of the lake

comedy series

30 rock, the big bang theory, girls, louis, modern family, veep

drama series

breaking bad, downton abbey, game of thrones, homeland, house of cards, mad men

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 23207/24/2013

supporting actor, drama

bobby cannavale (boardwalk empire) jonathan banks (breaking bad) aaron paul (breaking bad) jim carter (downton abbey) peter dinklage (game of thrones)

supporting actress, drama

anna gunn (breaking bad) maggie smith (downton abbey) emilia clarke (game of thrones) christine baranski (good wife) morena baccarat (homeland) christina hendricks (mad men)

guest actor, drama

nathan lane (good wife) michael j fox (good wife) rupert friend (homeland) robert morse (mad men) harry hamlin (mad men) dan bucatinsky (scandal)

guest actress, drama

margo martindale (americans) diana rigg (game of thrones) carrie preston (good wife) linda cardinelli (mad men) jane fonda (newsroom) joan cusack (shameless)

supporting actor, comedy

adam driver (girls) jesse tyler ferguson (modern family) ed o'neill (modern family) ty burrell (modern family) bill hader (snl) tony hale (veep)

supporting actress, comedy

mayim bialik (big bang theory) jane lynch (glee) julie bowen (modern family) merrit weaver (nurse jackie) jane krakowski (30 rock) anna chlumsky (veep)

guest actor, comedy

bob newhart (big bang theory) nathan lane (modern family) bobby cannavale (nurse jackie) louis ck (snl) justin timberlake (snl) will forte (30 rock)

guest actress, comedy

molly shannon (enlightened) dot marie-jones (glee) melissa leo (louie) melissa mccarthy (snl) kristin wiig (snl) elaine stritch (30 rock)

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 107/18/2013

Wow! Today truly is the day that DL died.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 207/18/2013

Does Jessica Lange have a shot?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 307/18/2013

Someone doesn't like punctuation or capitalization.....

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 407/18/2013

supporting actor, miniseries/movie

james cromwell (ahs: asylum) zachary quinto (ahs: asylum) scott bakula (behind the candelabra) john benjamin hickey (the big c) peter mulan (top of the lake)

supporting actress, miniseries/movie

sarah paulson (ahs: asylum) imelda stauntan (the girl) ellen burstyn (political animals) charlotte rampling (restless) alfre woodard (steel magnolias)

writing, miniseries/movie

richard lagravanese (behind the candelabra) abi morgan (the hour) parade's end (tom stoppard) david mamet (phil spector) jane campion & garth davis (top of the lake)

directing, miniseries/movie

steven soderbergh (behind the candelabra) julian jarrold (the girl) david mamet (phil spector) allison anders (ring of fire) jane campion & garth davis (top of the lake)

writing, drama

breaking bad, breaking bad, downton abbey, game of thrones, homeland

directing, drama

boardwalk empire, breaking bad, downton abbey, homeland, house of cards

writing, comedy

episodes, louie, the office, 30 rock, 30 rock

directing, comedy

girls, glee, louie, modern family, 30 rock

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 507/18/2013

THank you for posting, OP!

Harry Hamlin for Mad Men! Yayy!! I called that on the nominations site!

(but Cardellini??? Boo, boo, boo. HATED her - ALTHOUGH: perhaps I just hated the character; that was very different - and good - work for her. I take "boo" back.)

Mad Men rules the heaven and the earth!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 607/18/2013

No Rob Lowe? Wow.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 707/18/2013

Really, no Emmy nomination for Corey Stoll in House of Cards? That delicious bald hunk must be crying alone in his trailer, as he eases his fat ass down onto an intimidating dildo.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 807/18/2013

No, R6, I knew Cardellini would get nominated. If she gave that lack luster performance on a less media-hyped show, she would not have been nominated. Dull as dishwater performance.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 907/18/2013

Cardellini was very good. I knew she would make it just for her reaction when Sally walked in and found her in bed with Don.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1007/18/2013

Seriously R2, how can this complete lack of any sort of formatting be accepted it. What the hell OP?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1107/18/2013

i noticed that 2 r4 and i wonder y that issz

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1207/18/2013

Surprised nothing for Mandy Patinkin on Homeland. He was outstanding this year.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1307/18/2013

American Horry Story has the most nominations. Lange, Pailson and Quinto should win. It's a shame about Lily Rabe, though.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1407/18/2013

Give the fucking Emmy to Jon Hamm, damn it.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1507/18/2013

R13, he's actually nominated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1607/18/2013

What? No Emmy nom for the actor who plays Cyrus on Scandal?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1707/18/2013

Hugh Bonneville's nomination is such a joke. It should have been Matthew Rhys.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1807/18/2013

[quote]American Horry Story has the most nominations. Lange, Pailson and Quinto should win. It's a shame about Lily Rabe, though.

Now I love me some Alfre Woodard but she was awful in "Steel Magnolias" Rabe was robbed!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 1907/18/2013

I like Mad Men and I like John Hamm, but I am not so sure how good his acting is. He walks around looking like he is holding in a burp.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 2007/18/2013

Was it too soon for Devious Maids to sweep the nominations?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 2107/18/2013

R20, I've never really been on the Hamm love train, but his work on Mad Men this year was stellar. He won't win, but it would be deserved.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 2207/18/2013

Can't believe they didn't nominate Close for the last season of Damages. Laughable.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 2307/18/2013

Laura Dern!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 2507/18/2013

Between the Phil Spector biopic and Behind the Candelabra, it's a wonder that wig makers could keep up.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 2607/18/2013

Nothing for Walking Dead?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 2707/18/2013

What would the Walking Dead possibly deserve other than some make up nods?!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 2807/18/2013

And, where are the nominations for anyone on Enlightened on HBO? The second season was beautiful, especially the episode, Ghost in the Machine.. Dern and company were robbed...

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 2907/18/2013

Carol and Andrea acting noms?

It's a runaway successful show, setting all sorts of records. That usually pulls in some Emmys.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3007/18/2013

Actually, r29, Dern was nominated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3107/18/2013

[quote]And, where are the nominations for anyone on Enlightened on HBO? The second season was beautiful, especially the episode, Ghost in the Machine.. Dern and company were robbed...

Dern is nominated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3207/18/2013

Molly Shannon was nominated for Enlightened

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3307/18/2013

@r31 and @r32: Thanks for pointing that out to me.. You can tell I'll really miss that show..

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3407/18/2013

I believe Laura Dern was nominated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3507/18/2013

No Patty Duke :-(

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3607/18/2013

Jessica Lange already won Best Actress for the first season of American Horror, lost last year for the second season ~ so, her chances are slim for this year's win.

Who do you think is more likely for a win in 'Behind the Candelabra'? Matt Damon or Michael Douglas?

I don't know why they don't create a new category for best horror/syfy? With all these new alien/horror shows coming on, it is hard to call them dramas. Perhaps, they are afraid 'True Blood' would win, and of course we cannot have that, even though it is one of the best horror shows on tv.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3707/18/2013

AHS has only aired two seasons so far. Lange won supporting last year, she's in lead this year.

I would put my money on Douglas.

True Blood WAS one of the best horror shows, but that was several years ago.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3807/18/2013

I am confused by the fact that shows that air only on Netflix can be considered for Emmy nominations. Is it considered a cable network? Why not consider direct to DVD films? Anyone know the ruling on that? Are web series eligible?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 3907/18/2013

Vera Fermiga for the surprise win. You heard it here first.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4007/18/2013

I hear the cast of Modern Family is already practicing their asshole-ism t the extreme to prepare for the festivities.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4107/18/2013

Can someone [italic]enlighten[/italic] us with whether Laura Dern was nominated?

Please . . . ?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4207/18/2013

No Keri Russell?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4307/18/2013

Um, R42? read the OP

[quote] lead actress, comedy

[quote] laura dern, lena dunham, edie falco, tina fey, julia louis-dreyfuss, amy poehler

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4407/18/2013

Glad that Enlightened wasn't totally ignored but Mike White should have gotten a nod. The writing was a million times better than Girls, BBT or Modern Family too.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4507/18/2013

I am still mad Fiona Shaw didn't get nominated for True Blood a few years ago.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4607/18/2013

I'm surprised that Tatiana Maslany of Orphan Black wasn't nominated. You would think that winning the Critic's Choice award would get her some recognition.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4707/18/2013

She wanted it too badly, r46.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4807/18/2013

Arrested Development got exactly what it deserved: nothing.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 4907/18/2013

[quote]Carol and Andrea acting noms?

My sides!

You think it's plot and and writing deserve awards?!

[quote]It's a runaway successful show, setting all sorts of records. That usually pulls in some Emmys.

This is true. There is no denying it's popularity. And while that certainly helps, the thing about Walking Dead is that it's buzz is never really about it being a great show. Entertaining sometime sure, but most people who watch it don't think it actually deserves awards. Still, certainly worst shows have been nominated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5007/18/2013

R49, Jason Bateman was nominated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5107/18/2013

But what we all really want to know is . . .

Was Laura Dern nominated?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5207/18/2013

Elizabeth Moss nominated in two categories for Mad Men and for Top of the Lake! I love Top of the Lake.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5307/18/2013

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5407/18/2013

The comedy category is for the birds. Modern Family is funny but really, why does it win every stinking year? Big Bang Theory is also a funny show and the two supporting actors playing Howard and Raj are hysterical but always overlooked for the entire cast of Modern Family. Kelly Cuoco got robbed too. Also, 30 Rock again??? Really I think they will just keep nominating this and Alec Baldwin ad infinitum just for the hell of it.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5507/18/2013

Robert Morse? WTF? The guy had no story line this season and did absolutely nothing.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5607/18/2013

I can neither confirm nor deny Laura Dern has been nominated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5707/18/2013

[quote] Also, 30 Rock again??? Really I think they will just keep nominating this and Alec Baldwin ad infinitum just for the hell of it.

Crazy when that happens, isn't it?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5807/18/2013

They completely snubbed Tatiana Mislany (Orphan Black) and Michale Cudlitz (Southland). I get so bored with the Emmys nominating what seems like the same group of people from the same shows over and over again.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 5907/18/2013

Christina Hendricks WTF? Any decent work she did this season was overshadowed by her astonishingly bad performance in that infamous scene where she goes off on Don. Even though she had limited airtime, January Jones was much better IMO.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6007/18/2013

Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad) did get a nomination? I'm surprised

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6107/18/2013

The January Jones troll is more tiresome (and much more delusional) than the Heath Ledger troll, and that is not an easy task.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6207/18/2013

Nurse Jackie is a comedy?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6307/18/2013

I was kinda disappointed that Michelle Fairley didn't get a nomination for GOT. Her last scene was balls-to-the-wall terrific.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6407/18/2013

ENLIGHTENED was the best-written show of the year, maybe the past few years. Woefully under appreciated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6507/18/2013

January Jones truly deserved a nod. She was absolutely terrific in the episode where she and Don sleep together. It was am amazingly layered performance. She is so much more interesting to watch than the overrated Hendricks and Moss. Both of those two gave some laughable performances over the season, Hendricks in particular.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6607/18/2013

Surprised but happy that there was no Nick Offerman.

Nathan Lanes gets two!

Happy that one-note performer Archie Punjabi got zero, but sad that one-note performer Christine Baranski got one.

No Juliana Margulies. Will her hot husband come anyway?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6707/18/2013

[quote]ENLIGHTENED was the best-written show of the year, maybe the past few years. Woefully under appreciated.

Agree completely. A few years down the line it'll be appreciated more in the brilliant-but-cancelled category.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6807/18/2013

Was Orange is the New Black ineligible for nominations this year?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 6907/18/2013

Hendricks didn't have much to do, that's true, especially compared to the previous season where she was MVP, but those queens saying that she was laughable? please, get some taste.

Some of you are worse than the emmy voters

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7007/18/2013

Yes, r69, I believe so.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7107/18/2013

Yes, r69.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7207/18/2013

Hendricks, with those huge floatation devices, looks like a cartoon character, so maybe that just "enhanced" her subpar performances.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7307/18/2013

[quote]Was Orange is the New Black ineligible for nominations this year?

No, they missed the cut-off.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7407/18/2013

Yay for Laura Dern and Vera Farmiga!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7507/18/2013

no Monica Potter?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7607/18/2013

The Hendricks hate is just one troll. An idiot. He thinks her outburst at Don came from nowhere, when clearly he missed how excited she was about the firm going public. This was discussed when the episode aired but he still doesn't get it.

Maybe she didn't have enough to do this season, but how can you bitch about her when the category has Morena Baccarin and Emilia Clarke?

No surprise Banks got in for supporting actor. He should win.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7707/18/2013

And yet, Alec gets a nomination after acting like an ass? He's like the Chris Brown of Grammy nominations. They should not reward bad behavior.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7807/18/2013

HBO did a lousy job promoting Enlightened. I did think I ever heard of it.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 7907/18/2013

Matt LeBlanc's nomination is a bit of a joke. He plays a parody of himsef and is not even funny while doing it.

Lena Dunham is not a good actress as mentioned often here. Very often. If she wins over Poehler, Dern, Louis-Dreyfus, Fey or Falco (i.e anyone) then that will be the biggest laugh she has ever been responsible for in her career.

The New Girl cast deserved at one least one nomination (Jake Johnson) and probably 3 (Jake, Deschanel and Max Greenfield). They are all very funny on that show. Much funnier than Dunham, LeBlanc, Adam Driver etc who are in their categories.

Eric Stonestreet being snubbed is a bit surprising. Hope Ty Burrell wins again as he and Ed O Neill seem by far the classiest member of that cast.

I'd guess at -

Baldwin and Louis Dreyfus for Lead Comedy Cranston and Danes for Lead Drama Banks and Gunn for Supporting Drama Burrell and Vergara for Supporting Comedy

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8007/18/2013

I thought Hendrickson was amateurish in that scene where she blew up at Don on MM.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8107/18/2013

Has anyone told Laura Dern she was nominated?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8207/18/2013

R77 Totally agree, Banks should win. He has been great these last few seasons. Hope he and Anna Gunn win but got a feeling Maggie Smith will beat Gunn again. I said in the other thread, Maggie is of course a legend but a few withering looks and lines per episode has won 2 Emmys already. Hendricks should have won last year I thought.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8307/18/2013

Seriously, what is so great about Hendricks? All she does is ATTEMPT to look pouty and sexy as she points those torpedos at whomever she is sharing the screen with.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8407/18/2013

This anti-Hendricks troll is really getting tiresome. I used troll-dar on you, psycho.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8507/18/2013

I should have been nominatef for Family Tools and for leaving a cult.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8607/18/2013

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8707/18/2013

OP, I would like to introduce you to the cap key. It's what literate people use to make sense and show they're not stupid cunts.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8807/18/2013

Jeff Perry was robbed is all I'm saying.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 8907/18/2013

AHS gave Lily Rabe a big, flashy storyline this season, so it's surprising that she wasn't nominated. Is she returning for AHS: Coven?

The Emmys continue to ignore RuPaul's Drag Race in the Best Reality Series category. It's a lot better than Survivor, AI and Top Chef.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9007/18/2013

Debbie Reynolds was robbed of a Best Supporting nomination for "Behind the Candelabra".

So was Rob Lowe, for the same movie.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9107/18/2013

[quote] AHS gave Lily Rabe a big, flashy storyline this season, so it's surprising that she wasn't nominated. Is she returning for AHS: Coven?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9207/18/2013

Why is Mayim Bialik nominated AGAIN? She's not even funny and she's so irritating. Hopefully she'll lose.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9307/18/2013

Why wasn't Pepper nominated for American Horror Story?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9407/18/2013

Debbie Reynolds had less than 5 minutes of screen time so she was not eligible.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9507/18/2013

The '05 Ellen Burstyn nod for her 14-second performance in "Mrs. Harris" fucked poor Debbie's chances.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9607/18/2013

R80 Maggie Smith is the best of DA, the show is much weaker than when it began, but Maggie's one liners save the show. Maggie deserves it. Jim Carter should get it for supporting in drama. I'd like to see leading in drama going to Homeland. Jessica Lange is my favorite for leading in mini series. R77 I wouldn't give award for Matt LeBlanc, but this is his best work to date.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9707/18/2013

no lady Stark but that bloodless bitch Michelle Dockery gets a nod. I haven't watched DA in years. did she deserve it?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9807/18/2013

How that inflammatory, fat-fuck Baldwin got in, I'll never know.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 9907/18/2013

Yah! Laura Dern!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10007/18/2013

Its too bad Enlightened was totally ignored.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10107/18/2013

[quote]January Jones truly deserved a nod. She was absolutely terrific in the episode where she and Don sleep together. It was am amazingly layered performance. She is so much more interesting to watch than the overrated Hendricks and Moss.

It is official: January Jones' agent and/or manager are posting on DL.

I'd call her acting wooden, but some pieces of wood have real star quality.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10207/18/2013

I think Adam Driver in great in Girls, but I don't think it's a comedy, so I don't think he should have been nominated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10307/18/2013

The reason the OP is in lower case was because I was typing them out while they were announced.

K? Cunts?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10407/18/2013

I'm so disappointed Fran Drescher wasn't nominated for Happily Divorced. I love that show!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10507/18/2013

In other words, R104, you're a big Mary.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10607/18/2013

I hope to hell Modern Family or 30 Rock, won't win.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10707/18/2013

[quote]Why wasn't Pepper nominated for American Horror Story?

Absolutely both her and Lily Rabe. Imelda Staunton for the atrocious "The Girl" and Alfre Woodard for "Steel Magnolias" have no business on that list.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10807/18/2013

Where's Betty White's nom for HIC?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 10907/18/2013

I'm thinking Vera Farmiga should win...she's pretty great, I didn't even recognize her and frankly, I was never a fan.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11007/18/2013

[quote]Why wasn't Pepper nominated for American Horror Story?

She was suppose to be nominated, but the addled Emmy voters got confused and that's how Nathan Lane got a second nomination for Pepper in Modern Family.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11107/18/2013

I was hoping Liza would be nominated for "Arrested Development".

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11207/18/2013

Laura Dern was nominated, So Enlightened was not totally ignored.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11307/18/2013

Where was Hannibal??

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11407/18/2013

All too often subtle understated performances like those of January Jones and Christina Hendricks of "Mad Men" are overlooked and under-appreciated by viewers expecting theatricality and showy performances from stars of critically acclaimed dramas. The fact is "Betty" and "Joan," are subtle understated characters that require actresses with the expertise to communicate everything roiling emotion in the "cracks" of their composed outer shells.

I am thrilled Hendricks was nominated; disappointed Jones was not. Both are deserving.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11507/18/2013

Go to hell r102. Although Betty sleeping with Don was ridiculous, and no one from Mad Men should have been nominated for anything.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11607/18/2013

[quote]Where's Betty White's nom for HIC?

She was nominated for that old people candid camera show where shuffles into a studio once a month and sits in a booth to narrate. So it's official. Betty White has been nominated on every Emmy Award show since 1946.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11707/18/2013

Also where the hell is anything for The Mindy Project.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11807/18/2013

The Mindy Project is a terrible TV show.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 11907/18/2013

Poor Emmy Rossum will be toiling in relative but IMHO superlative obscurity on Shameless for another year, it seems.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12007/18/2013

Same stuff year after year. They need to scale back the number of nominees in each category.

Mad Men and 30 Rock were completely underwhelming this year. They shouldn't have been nominated.

Mad Men hasn't won a single acting award yet. The only best drama winner to have that record. Pretty embarrassing.

And Elaine Stritch AGAIN for doing her usual fingers on a chalkboard shtick.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12107/18/2013

There were years that Mad Men did deserve acting awards, but those days are pretty much gone. I expect Mad Men's record on that will remain intact.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12207/18/2013

Moss submitted the scene where Peggy diagnosed Abe with post-traumatic stress disorder.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12307/18/2013

Am I the only one who regrets that actor Sean Harris from The Borgias was not nominated as abest supporting actor ?

I know that his series is not as popular as Game of Thrones, for instance, and the script is not always as good. But what he did he season 3 was good acting. People should check it out.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12407/18/2013

Hendricks should have won last year. They gave it to Maggie Smith once again because they are lazy. This year Smith is more deserving of her nod than Hendricks.

Hamm and Moss should have won a long time ago.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12507/18/2013

Also, is it me, or it's almost always the same nominees ? The Father, daughter and grandmother from Downton Abbey ? Really? I don't begrudge the butler though. I hope he wins.

Boardwalk Empire ? Homeland ? Mad Men ? Again ? Anything new ?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12607/18/2013

Jon Hamm should have won by now. Since he hasn't I can't see any reason that he shouldn't win this year. If anything his scenes with Linda Cardinelli and the episode where he "fell back into bed" with "Betty" brought out more f his skill as an actor. He is long overdue.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12707/18/2013

I'd like to see Kerry Washington, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Vera Farminga or Amy Poehler win.

I hope Claire Danes doesn't win again, they always seem to give the award to the same people every year and that's just lazy.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12807/18/2013

Whoever gets Best Actor in a Comedy better enjoy it, bitches, because I'm comin' at you next year!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 12907/18/2013

Did Mark Consuelas get an Emmy nomination for AHS?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13007/18/2013

I'd like to see Kerry Washington take it too. I like her a lot, and she did a great job this year. Plus a black actress has never won that particular category.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13107/18/2013

[quote]Did Mark Consuelas get an Emmy nomination for AHS?

Only speaking roles are eligible.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13207/18/2013

[quote]Maggie Smith is the best of DA, the show is much weaker than when it began, but Maggie's one liners save the show. Maggie deserves it. Jim Carter should get it for supporting in drama.

Isn't your statement is a bit contradictory? In your opinion, Maggie Smith saves the otherwise dismal show, but on the next sentence you give deserved kudos to Carter.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13307/18/2013

[quote] Did Mark Consuelas get an Emmy nomination for AHS?

Um, no.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13407/18/2013

IIRC, Mark Consuelos went to the bathroom with Pepper in the first episode and never returned. What exactly is he doing in there with Pepper?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13507/18/2013

R135, Dr. Hitler got him and turned him into one of those mutants.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13607/18/2013

Dear God . . . please don't give another Emmy to Alec Baldwin.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13707/18/2013

After only two episodes I already feel confident predicting that FX Network's "The Bridge" and it's star Diane Kruger will lead the pack next year. What a great show. What a dazzling performance. A real powerhouse.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13807/18/2013

If The Americans didn't get much love r138, why would The Bridge? Because Kruger is slightly more famous?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 13907/18/2013

I hope that when she attends the next Emmys she has her uncle Freddy escort her.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14007/18/2013

"The Bridge" is just excellent. Have you seen it yet R139? FX is probably re-running episodes 1and 2 if you haven't. It's almost on par with "Mad Men" in my opinion. I like it because it's smartly written with an intriguing, timely plot and while mature in its' presentation it isn't gratuitously violent.

I wasn't aware that Diane Kruger was famous. I haven't seen her in anything else. Hopefully the ratings are good; if anyone knows please let me know. I'd like to see the original Denmark/Sweden version if it is on Netflix or something (and subtitled.)

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14107/18/2013

For R141:

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14207/18/2013

I have seen it, it is good, but it's on FX, which obviously isn't beloved by the Emmys. We will just have to wait and see.

Oh, and can we stop talking about Mad Men, comparing things to Mad Men? The show is six years old and hasn't been truly good in years. Hopefully, the final season won't be an embarrassment.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14307/18/2013

Why Shameless never gets any nominations?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14407/18/2013

It got the same one it always gets: Joan Cusack.

I think its subject matter might be a little too much for the Emmys.

Violence is fine, language is fine, cock and tits are only okay if they're on HBO.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14507/18/2013

Hoping for these three wins ... Lead Drama Actress, really nice to see Connie Britton recognized for NASHVILLE -- yeah, not everyone's show, but solid entertainment (stunned Hayden Panettiere didn't land a Support nod); Guest Actor, Comedy, Bob Newart was brilliant, a wonderful Dr. Proton in BIG BANG THEORY; Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series, good for Nathan Lane show he is much more than just Nathan Lane.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14607/18/2013

Snubbed: Justified (plus Olyphant and Goggins), Parks and Recreation

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14707/19/2013

I mean Jesus Christ, what don't they just go ahead and call it the "Modern Family Awards Show"?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14807/19/2013

And all this horseshit about Netflix making history! Ohhh how daring to give an Emmy nomination to Oscar nominees/winner like Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright and David Fincher!

Finally the validation they've been seeking for years!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 14907/19/2013

I would like Louie CK and Amy Poehler or Laura Dern to win leads in comedy. Jon Hamm (come on he totally deserves a win) and either Vera Farmiga or Kerry Washington for lead in drama.

Louie for comedy, Breaking Bad for drama.

Jonathan Banks and Anna Gunn for supporting in drama. I couldn't care less about any of the supporting comedy nominees.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15007/19/2013

I to gawd that Modern Family show does not win any awards. So sick of the show and actors in it.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15107/19/2013

R149 but Arrested Development was also nominated, that's something. I don't know if they were nominated for/won anything during the Fox years.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15207/19/2013

I've seen the Swedish version of The Bridge, and it was great. Is the remake using the same story, or is it different? I'd like to see Elizabeth Moss win for Top of the Lake, if only for her convincing Australian accent (and it was made by the sublime Jane Campion).

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15307/19/2013

The FX version of the Bridge has had roughly the same storyline (though they've only aired the second episode this week), but since it's set on the border of US-Mexico, there are obviously a few necessary differences. Different issues, different politics.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15407/19/2013

Actually r152 it wasn't nominated (Jason Bateman was but not the show itself or any other cast members)

It won best comedy one year when it was on Fox.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15507/19/2013

How come Holly Hunter was left out? I thought she wasa sure bet?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15607/19/2013

I still watch Modern Family and like it, but I don't want it to win a thing. John Hamm does deserve an Emmy--Don Draper is an iconic TV character.

The Emmy voters really are lazy and that goes for the Daytime Emmy voters too - they let the Cash Cab guy win best game show host award three times already and that show is cancelled and totally out of production. Not fair.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15707/19/2013

I'm glad Tony Hale got a nomination...he's completely underrated as a comedic actor.

Meanwhile, it's complete bullshit that Corey Stoll was passed over for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama (House of Cards).

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15807/19/2013

I really wish they'd give supporting actress in comedy to Jane Krakowski. It's her last year, and she's done so much amazing work as Jenna over the years. Unfortunately, I'm betting it's Sofia Vegara's turn.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 15907/19/2013

I love Scott Bakula, but think he's occupying nominee space that Rob Lowe deserves.

It would be fun to see Linda Cardellini win for Mad Men just to hear some haters' heads explode.

Yesterday they showed the Bob Newhart episode of Big Bang Theory (no coincidence I'm sure) and he TOTALLY deserves to win.

Kaley Cuoco is a better actress than she's given credit for. Maybe she should lay off the numerous endorsement deals (she's giving the cast of Modern Family a run for their ad money). It also doesn't help that she's compared/confused with Sarah Chalk, another commercially appealing, fast-talking hot blonde, but a weaker, more contrived actress with a comic timing and reaction face so calculated, it makes me wish Hepburn were alive to click-click her.

I'm with the poster who still watches Modern Family, but doesn't think it should get any more awards(it should be the year of BBT or Louie) - though I'd make an exception for Ed O'Neill. He was very good this season, has never won an Emmy, and deserves one.

Is it possible that Eric Stonestreet abstained from submitting, or did he just get snubbed? I'm not saying he deserved to be nominated, but it seems to me he was reaching Larroquette/Fox territory with the lazy automatic nominations.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16007/19/2013

[quote]I was hoping Liza would be nominated for "Arrested Development".

I'm not a Liza fan, but I agree that she was one of the most consistently funny things about this abortion of an Arrested Development season, and deserved a nod.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16107/19/2013

"Is it possible that Eric Stonestreet abstained from submitting, or did he just get snubbed? "

No way in hell.

He comes across as one of the most pompous, egotistical actors on tv.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16207/19/2013

[quote] I was kinda disappointed that Michelle Fairley didn't get a nomination for GOT. Her last scene was balls-to-the-wall terrific.

A ten second scene at the end of an episode does not make up for three years of teeth grinding boredom. Maybe she'll be better when she comes back.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16307/19/2013

Linda Cardellini has no chance. The nomination is the award.

The two biggest snubs are, by far, Corey Stoll and Lily Rabe, especially Stoll.

Julia Louis Dreyfuss is genius on Veep and has the Emmy sewn up again.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16407/19/2013

Stonestreet is abstaining from heterosexual sex.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16507/19/2013

In what universe is Robin Wright an Oscar winner, R149, let alone a nominee?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16607/19/2013

Modern Family is horrendously overrated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16707/19/2013

I think Damian Lewis, Claire Danes, and Mandy Pantikin will take their respective categories. I'm consistently amazed at how good they all are, especially Lewis.

I was also glad to see Stonestreet snubbed, though I do like the show. First, he wasn't that good, and second, he's very much a pompous "do you know who I am" ass in person.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16807/19/2013

R87, I agree with you completely. I have loved Corey Stoll since I first saw him, in the late, short-lived, ill-conceived "Land Order:LA".

Agree with R131; I would even have liked to have seen Bruno Mars nominated. May sound weird; he was a bit tentative, but very funny, good comic timing; could totally see him doing feature films (if isn't already?)

God help me, I know he's not popular here but I really liked Jeremy Renner's host gig; better than Louis CK (maybe I liked the writing better...)

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 16907/19/2013

[quote]Is it possible that Eric Stonestreet abstained from submitting, or did he just get snubbed? "

he submitted and even did the Hollywood Reporter round table to campaign. (he seemed kind of odd on that video)

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17007/19/2013

R169 you should of seen him on ER

He played a bumpling med student

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17107/19/2013

Stonestreet's getting quite a large head. I'm glad that he was snubbed.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17207/19/2013

[quote]Stonestreet's getting quite a large head.

Aside from Burrell, the entire cast has been that way for years. Just wait for the horror stories to emerge once awards season goes into full swing.

Bowen & Ferguson are THE absolute worst.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17307/19/2013

[quote][Michelle Fairley's] last scene was balls-to-the-wall terrific.

Don't worry, she'll have another chance in a future season.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17407/19/2013

Jeff Perry who plays Cyrus on Scandal was robbed. Hi on-screen husband was nominated though. They both deserve emmys for their naked truth scene alone!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17507/19/2013

They were naked? Is that a good thing? Did they show stuff?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17607/19/2013

They were naked to show that neither of them had a recording device, I can't remember what you could see, I mean it is ABC

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17707/19/2013

Justin Timberlake, hosting Saturday Night Live AGAIN?, and Melissa McCarthy, & one note wonder Kristen Wiig? Didn't Bruno Mars host this year and was the best in years?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17807/19/2013

He hosted...but wasn't particularly good.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 17907/19/2013

Was SMASH nominated for anything??

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18007/19/2013

nothing major r180....maybe some technical stuff or music.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18107/19/2013

SMASH was nominated.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18207/19/2013

The thing about House of Cards...are any of the characters likable in any way?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18307/19/2013

No. In the British version the young female reporter was likable but in the Spacey version she was a complete slut...

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18407/19/2013

why can't Eric Stonestreet find a nice girl to settle down with?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18507/19/2013

Breaking Bad Jon Hamm Kerry Washington Jonathan Banks Christina Hendricks

Louie Louis C.K. Amy Poehler Jane Krakowski Bill Hader

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18607/19/2013

Krakowski? nah.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18707/20/2013

New Girl was really smacked down. That success was brief.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18807/20/2013

Amazing how Louis-Dreyfus has won three Emmys for featured acting work in three different comedies. Has anyone else achieved that?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 18907/20/2013

Wow, there are a lot of people on this thread with some serious lack of reading comprehension skills.

Although I did notice that the OP does not have Mandy Patinkin in the Best Supporting in a Drama category, but he was indeed nominated. As much as loved Jonathan Banks in BB, I feel like Patinkin really deserves some Emmy love. Say what you will about Homeland's second season, but Mandy was really exceptional throughout.

[quote]I hope Claire Danes doesn't win again, they always seem to give the award to the same people every year and that's just lazy.

She's only won the Emmy once for her role as Carrie Mathison. But hers and Lewis' work in the episode, 'Q&A' was really astonishing, so I wouldn't be put out if she took it again. Her only real competition is Robin Wright, who I thought was the best thing about HOC. Vera Farmiga should have gotten her nomination for Lead Actress in a COMEDY, because seriously, I don't think she realized she was meant to be in a drama. That performance was campier than Lange singing 'The Name Game', at any rate.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19007/20/2013

[quote]Vera Farmiga should have gotten her nomination for Lead Actress in a COMEDY, because seriously, I don't think she realized she was meant to be in a drama. That performance was campier

It was supposed to be campy...Hitchcock stuff always has an underlying humor.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19107/20/2013

Does anyone have any stories about Vera Farmiga?

Is she a raging cunt? Coke head? Former high priced escort?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19207/20/2013

just the opposite r192....a genuinely nice woman. (very rare for an actress)

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19307/20/2013

R193, aww that's good to hear! I didn't know who she was until recently (I also realized that I've seen most of what she's been in, but didn't remember her, oops!)

Do you know if shes worked a long time to get to this part of her career? A nice woman who is also a good actress?!? (see, Claire Danes, it's possible!) I know nothing about Vera except that she has the most amazing eyes, so please tell me more!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19407/20/2013

[quote]Amazing how Louis-Dreyfus has won three Emmys for featured acting work in three different comedies. Has anyone else achieved that?

I think "Seinfeld" was her only featured (supporting) actress Emmy. The Emmys she won for both "Christine" and "Veep" were for lead actress.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19507/20/2013

I don't understand the critics who are so upset about the fact "Arrested Development" got snubbed for a best comedy nod. Weren't the reviews for this revival just kinda lukewarm? If so, how can they get so upset over something not getting nominated that they weren't so crazy about to begin with?

Btw, I agree with whomever said they'd like to see Jane Krakowski win for "30 Rock." The quality of the show may have withered over the years but Jane was always great in that part.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19607/20/2013

[quote]Weren't the reviews for this revival just kinda lukewarm?

The first few episodes got slammed but the season as a whole was received extremely well.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19707/20/2013

No, it really wasn't r197. It's widely regarded as a misfire.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19807/20/2013

No. R197 is correct.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 19907/20/2013

I don't really know too much about her past r194...I just know what she is like nowadays and she is quite warm and friendly and caring towards the staff and cast on Bates.

Reading her wikipedia page she sounds like a stage actress initially who persevered for a long time.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20007/21/2013

Claire Danes is neither nice nor a good actress.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20107/21/2013

[quote]No, it really wasn't [R197]. It's widely regarded as a misfire

Don't poke the Arrested Development psychos. They still insist the original run was a hit.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20207/21/2013

Claire Danes did a helluva a job with really bad material but Tatiana Maslany owns this award and every award ever. I also would have rather seen Keri Russell nominated over Danes. Her performance was much more nuanced. Claire will inevitably win because it's just a big popularity contest and she's a fantastic extrovert who networks like a pro. She could teach a master class on schmoozing.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20307/21/2013

The original run was critically well received. It managed to last three nearly perfect seasons. The fourth season was just fine. It had weak spots, but so did the first three seasons, I think most critics have realized this.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20407/21/2013

Vera Farmiga was nominated for an Oscar a couple years back in Up in the Air. So, this isn't her breakthrough role.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20507/21/2013

Even if you didn't like it, what Arrested Development did in their fourth season was ground breaking for a comedy. It was extremely complex storytelling.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20607/21/2013

"Down to the Bone" I think it was called was Farmiga's breakthrough.

It was a small independent film that very few people saw BUT it was highly critically acclaimed and she even won the LA Film Critics Award for Best Actress over a lot of famous women. After that she started doing lots of big films.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20707/21/2013

r195, I was using the word "featured" to mean either leading or supporting, not the way the Tonys use it to mean "supporting." But maybe I should have used the phrase "series regular" (to mean any nominable role that's not a guest spot). It's just that there are regulars who are bit players and not featured enough to be eligible/noticeable for nomination (Gunther in "Friends")

Anyway, has any actress won for three different comedies, considering that having a principal/featured role in three different comedies is in itself a rare lifetime achievement? Betty White comes to mind...

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20807/21/2013

I'm happy for JLD, even if I don't care for her post-Seinfeld stuff. She'll never have to think about the Seinfeld curse ever again. Not the she wouldn't have been fine financially regardless, being the daughter of a billionaire.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 20907/21/2013

"having a principal/featured role in three different comedies" should be "having a principal/featured role in three different [bold]hit[/bold] comedies"

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21007/21/2013

R210 omg how did you bold that bit of text?!?

Datalounge seems to have its own special web design code, and I haven't yet mastered it (but at least I know how to quote a specific reply, by putting an "r" before it!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21107/21/2013

Click on [Help], right on top of the thread watcher.

In order to quote, bold or italicize, you put the words quote, bold, or ital. respectively, between brackets [ ] at the beginning of the selected word or phrase and then do the same but with /bold, /quote, or /ital. (once again in between brackets) at the end.

A new paragraph separated by a double space will also do the closing trick.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21207/21/2013

r195---Tyne Daly has won Emmys for three different Drama Series (Cagney and Lacey, Cristy, and Judging Amy)

Betty White won for three different sitcoms (Life with Elizabeth, The MTM Show, and Golden Girls)

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21307/21/2013

The codes for italics are

in between brackets at beginning and end of the selected word or phrase.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21407/21/2013

Thank you r213!

It would have been fun for White to shatter that record with HIC, but I guess for now she'll have to be content with the other non-Emmy awards she's received for Elka.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21507/21/2013

New Girl, you in danger girl.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21607/21/2013

Oops meant to sign r189 in my response to r213

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21707/21/2013

R212 when I click on the help button, there is nothing there! It's just blank!

Mods, is this a bug, and should I report it? I've been having tons if other problems browsing DL today as well.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21807/21/2013

R212 forgot to say thanks! Thank you!!!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 21907/21/2013

[quote][R212] when I click on the help button, there is nothing there! It's just blank!

Now [bold] that's [/bold] [italic]bizarre[/italic]

But the fact that you're calling it a button makes me think you may be clicking on "the wrong "help".

Are you talking about the [Help] next to the words Thread Watcher at the top of the thread watcher column on your right? That's the one you should be clicking on.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22007/21/2013

No, r197 is wrong.

The original AD was a critical and cult success, though not commercial, and deservedly so.

The reboot was a creative misfire, regarded as such even by the creators who have said they will be going back to something like the original format if they get another season on Netflix.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22107/21/2013

[quote]lead actress, comedy laura dern, lena dunham, edie falco, tina fey, julia louis-dreyfuss, amy poehler

Seriously? Lens Dungham, this woman is NOT an actress. She's an annoying nauseating presence on a truly shitty cable series.

Why are all nominated actresses, except for Amy Poehler, in cable comedy series? Weren't primetime and cable series always in different categories?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22207/21/2013

Is anyone surprised/disappointed that Tony Goldwyn wasn't nominated? I don't think he's been mentioned in this thread yet.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22307/21/2013

R222, Tina Fey is also nominated, and "30 Rock" was on NBC.

In fact, I'd bet that Fey wins the award. Either the episode where she gets married or the final episode would be easy victories for her.

Since "30 Rock" has more nominations than "Modern Family," I think it might even win Comedy Series. It's perfect Emmy logic: we're sick of awarding the same show every year, so let's give it to the show we used to give it to every year.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22407/21/2013

Hope you're wrong, r224

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22507/21/2013

Yeah, I hope Louie wins Comedy. And Poehler is overdue.

[quote]Weren't primetime and cable series always in different categories?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22607/21/2013

Who is Lens Dungham?

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22707/21/2013

I was wondering what happened to the January Jones Appreciation thread. It seems to have disappeared, I wasn't able to find it on search either. Could someone please bump it up or post a link. The Octopus is a big January Jones fan!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22807/21/2013

Michael Cudlitz and Southland were robbed

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 22907/21/2013

Poehler really deserves it. She should have won years ago.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 23007/21/2013

Ok, I'm officially gonna stan for Vera Farmiga this award season!

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 23107/21/2013

[quote]Who is Lens Dungham?

It's my name for crapola 'actress' Lena Dunham. She's not much of writer let alone director either. She's the least talented in any category. Why she's even been considered for any award, is an insult.

Nominating that gormless ultra-annoying piece of shit in the same category with actual actresses, women who have already paid their dues and have acted for many years, is a fucking insult to those actresses!

C'mon, pitting LD against someone like Edie Falco (who is actually better at drama) and Amy Poehler, it's a damn joke!

I think Tina Fey is more of a writer than an actress, I never bought her 'acting' either. She's another person whose career has been based more on hype than true talent, at least as far as her acting goes.

by Simon Halls's Fistreply 23207/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!