Since 1995

Who killed the sitcom?

Why do they mostly all suck nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 7607/23/2013

Friends. Dreck.

by Anonymousreply 107/18/2013

the strike and reality tv stepping in

by Anonymousreply 207/18/2013

which strike r2? the writers strike? (it was already dead by then)

by Anonymousreply 307/18/2013

They said the sitcom was dead in the 80s, then "Cosby" and "Cheers" came along. Then they said sitcoms were dead in the 90s, then "Seinfeld" came along. They said sitcoms were dead in the 00s and then "Arrested Development" came along. Then Chuck Lorre came along and bashed it to death with his crap shows.

by Anonymousreply 407/18/2013

Youtube and College Humor killed them both. And reality TV, which I find humorous when people talk about it like it's reality.

by Anonymousreply 507/18/2013

Corporate hacks who are barely out of college and hipsters who have a chip on their shoulder for no reason other than they are spoiled entitled pussies.

by Anonymousreply 607/18/2013

r6 is projecting BIG TIME.

by Anonymousreply 707/18/2013

It was that awful "Survivor" that killed the sitcom. After that piece of shit started, EVERYTHING became reality television.

by Anonymousreply 807/18/2013

R4, can "Arrested Development" be considered a sitcom? I thought a sitcom involved multiple cameras and a live studio audience.

BTW: The sitcoms were alive and strong in the 1980s. For example, in 1988 8 of the Top 10 shows were sitcoms: 1) The Cosby Show, 2) Roseanne, 3) A Different World, 4) Cheers, 5) The Golden Girls, 6) Who's the Boss?, 7) 60 Minutes, 8) Murder, She Wrote, 9) Empty Nest, 10) Anything But Love.

by Anonymousreply 907/18/2013

Is the sitcom really dead? Isn't The Big Bang Theory one of the most popular shows on television for the 2013 season and it's not such a bad show either. It regularly clobbers every show on television and also has huge ratings in syndication. I believe only CSI & Football has higher ratings.

Modern Family is also funny, popular & shows a stable gay couple & family.

As for why there isn't more, it's probably due to Reality TV. It's cheaper to make & you get to laugh & feel superior to the people in them, like with Honey Boo Boo.

by Anonymousreply 1007/18/2013

I blame it all on Anna Nicole. L

by Anonymousreply 1107/18/2013

In what universe is 60 Minutes a sitcom?

by Anonymousreply 1207/18/2013

R10 Those shows are shit. You have bad taste. Sitcoms have always mostly sucked, even the hits. Seinfeld is the major exception. A show like that being such a hit would never happen today.

Forget sitcoms, I don't know how anyone can regularly watch anything on the big three or Fox. Although, Hannibal might be another exception.

by Anonymousreply 1307/18/2013

Sitcom writers today can only come up with jokes that involve sex.

"Kath and Kim" - the writers couldn't find anything to write about except sex. Even the episode about their pet dog, had two dogs fucking in the background.

by Anonymousreply 1407/18/2013

R12, I didn't say 60 MINUTES was a sitcom. I was listing the Top Ten shows of 1988 and, except for 60 MINUTES and MURDER, SHE WROTE, the rest of the shows on the list were sitcoms, which shows you how popular they once were. Nowadays, the sitcom can't even crack the Top Ten. I remember for several years, TWO AND A HALF MEN was the only sitcom to make the list.

by Anonymousreply 1507/18/2013

Maybe you're the one with shitty taste R13. Open your eyes & stop being a smug arrogant a-hole long enough to notice that not everyone likes the same things you do.

by Anonymousreply 1607/18/2013

Been watching Rhoda, Maude and All In The Family and laughing. How they managed to cram so much humor and pathos into less than 30 min. is a mystery. Those writers are all gone now.

by Anonymousreply 1707/18/2013

They've always sucked.

by Anonymousreply 1807/18/2013

I would gather that writing and producing a high quality 22 minute sitcom is harder than anything else on TV. Maybe the system just doesn't produce good writers like that anymore. Obviously when they click, like 2.5 Men and BBT, they are quite popular, so the format isn't "dead".

PS - Everyone Loves Raymond is a classic standard sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 1907/18/2013

"Married with Children" was one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. Pulls in huge money in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 2007/18/2013

[R17] The networks didn't learn anything from dealing with Norman Lear and his envelope-pushing "I-dare-you-to-censor-me" approach. If anything, they've gotten more censorious.

by Anonymousreply 2107/18/2013

Some of it I think is the insistence on annyoing B and C plots. The shows themselves are barely twenty minutes long anymore (!) so you're losing almost 6 minutes from what you once had. With the stupid secondhand plots in there, you have even less time for anything. I've seen some recent episodes of BBT that barely have any plot and they cut away every minute to another plot. If they're going to have Bob Newhart on, do we need a stupid unfunny sideplot about Howard and Bernadette dogsitting for Raj?

Raymond was notable that it didn't have B or C plots. I believe they fought for that.

by Anonymousreply 2207/18/2013

It's funny how people hold up shows like All in The Family. I'm old enough to have watched it at the time it was out and it used to make me cringe it was so preachy. It was also predictable.

You were always guaranteed in a Norman Lear comedy that someone would make a tearful speech telling off the insensitive buffoons around them. Just picture Maud or Meathead or Florida doing it.

Now today people say these were the greatest sitcoms? They were Ok. I watched them all. Sometimes they were funny but a lot of time they were just no laughs because they were too busy teaching their audience lessons. I was glad when sitcoms went back to being about humor.

by Anonymousreply 2307/18/2013

Modern Family, Parks & Rec....SUCK SUCK SUCK

by Anonymousreply 2407/18/2013

If you ask me, they became to complicated. The old comedies had limited casts and less far reaching stories.

My example is 30 Rock. Went from a funny, smart and hip comedy about things we understood to nothing short of over the top and not funny

by Anonymousreply 2507/18/2013

Sitcoms aren't dead. 30 Rock was great in the early years and Modern Family and The Middle are both excellent shows.

by Anonymousreply 2607/18/2013

The Exes killed the sitcom. Yet I still watch for David Alan Basche.

by Anonymousreply 2707/18/2013

It's ridiculous to argue over what's funny. Everyone has such different tastes.

I'd never seen Maude back in the day and was astounded how bad it was.

A lot of the love of these old shows is just nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 2807/18/2013

I think you need to be clear. The network television (the big 4), those sitcoms are dead. When a show like Big Bang Theory is considered the best sitcom over shows like Community and Parks and Rec, and Thirty Rock that tells you all you need to know.

What they're doing with Veep and Girls is great.

by Anonymousreply 2907/18/2013

There's also the problem that the better a sitcom (or comedy if you prefer) is, the less likely people are to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 3007/18/2013

r23 is a loser

by Anonymousreply 3107/18/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3207/18/2013

Ratings killed sitcoms. We have too many choices for televsion and quality programming is no longer possible.

by Anonymousreply 3307/18/2013

Look, I sent you all a concept analysis report yesterday. Did any of you read it?

by Anonymousreply 3407/18/2013

I killed it.

by Anonymousreply 3507/18/2013

There are excellent sitcoms out there (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Episodes, Veep, Arrested Development) but you won't find them on the Big 4 networks.

by Anonymousreply 3607/18/2013

Lack of creativity.

Writers today just search for ideas already thought of and legally alter them.

TV has not come up with a truly original show in 15 years. Expect many, many more reality TV shows in the future.

by Anonymousreply 3707/18/2013

"Modern Family" is excellent. "Happy Endings" was too and it had possibly the best gay character ever. But, maybe the problem is that the high-quality cable networks haven't developed sitcoms like they have dramas. The only cable sitcoms I can think of are Tyler Perry's shows and I wouldn't even consider watching that crap.

by Anonymousreply 3807/18/2013

So people are including shows like MODERN FAMILY, HAPPY ENDINGS, ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM as sitcoms? I always assumed a sitcom was filmed on a soundstage in front of a live studio audience, used multicameras and a laugh track, e.g. THE COSBY SHOW, CHEERS, FRIENDS, GOLDEN GIRLS, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3907/18/2013

[quote]Why do they mostly all suck

Because the illiterates have taken over.

by Anonymousreply 4007/18/2013

New This Fall: "Snarky Hipsters" (ABC)- 20-somethings Try, Thradd, Emily, Emma, Abigail and Schuylar all stand around in their expensive Manhattan lofts and pubs and speculate who's sleeping with whom. Dry, droll and dreary.

by Anonymousreply 4107/18/2013

There are a handful of sitcoms that I can't watch more than 1 minute of before my brain starts to hurt:

How I Met Your Mother - horrible, juvenile sex jokes and laugh track. Oh, Neil Patrick Harris, I has a sad for you

The Big Bang Theory - unfunny nerds

Two and a Half Men - See HIMYM

by Anonymousreply 4207/18/2013

R42 yeah I agree and I can't believe these are the biggest shows in America right now. I get that people like these shows because they provide cheap laughs and you don't have to watch all episodes to follow along and I will admit to watching these shows initially but they have gotten really bad in the later seasons. I think sitcoms should at most go up to like 5 seasons because they just get so repetitive and the characters just become ridiculous one noted caricatures.

by Anonymousreply 4307/18/2013

No one, it committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 4407/18/2013

[quote]Why do they mostly all suck

The truth is they don't suck anymore than they used to. As I've posted before we look at past sitcoms through rose colored glasses and what was once treacly and preachy we now praise as groundbreaking. Maybe, but a lot of it wasn't very funny.

The other truth is most of the complainers about how sitcoms suck today are just plain old (and I'm in this category). You have faulty memories about the good old days. I have an in law who's always going on about taking back America and returning to the glory days. He's conveniently forgotten about all the parts that sucked in those days. The people going about this remind me of this delusional guys.

Just admit it. You're old and cranky and most of your conversations consists of in my day... and get off my lawn.

by Anonymousreply 4507/18/2013

R39. A sitcom is defined in the name - situation comedy, i.e. the characters interact within a specific situation. That can be a workplace (Scrubs), home (Golden Girls), social setting (Cheers), whatever. The techniques used for filming don't define the genre.

by Anonymousreply 4607/18/2013

r7 = a hipster who thinks he's funny.

But he's just an entitled pussy with a chip on his shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 4707/18/2013

The "we're making a documentary" theme has run its course. If I never had to see another shaky cam again, I would be extremely happy. Talk about tired.

Anything topical is now considered to be preachy or it won't hold up for future viewings.

There are a few good shows on television now. The middle and bbt. MF has its moments, but is very overrated.

One of the magazines recently did a story on cheers. One of the writers said that the reason the show worked was because they were inspired by not only tv but literature as well.

by Anonymousreply 4807/18/2013

I think the current crop of sitcoms are actually pretty strong. Parks and Rec, Community, Louie, Cougar Town, Modern Family, Happy Endings (so sad to see it go), and The Mindy Show are all pretty entertaining, to varying degrees.

by Anonymousreply 4907/18/2013

[quote]The "we're making a documentary" theme has run its course. If I never had to see another shaky cam again, I would be extremely happy. Talk about tired.

I could never get into THE OFFICE, PARKS & RECREATION, MODERN FAMILY because I hate that premise. I tried them, but it didn't do anything for me. It's become a gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 5007/18/2013

"20-somethings Try, Thradd, Emily, Emma, Abigail and Schuylar all stand around in their expensive Manhattan lofts and pubs ..."

...talking really, really fast with gunfire dialogue to make them appear really, really witty and intelligent ...

by Anonymousreply 5107/18/2013

Bea Arthur and her big gun.

by Anonymousreply 5207/19/2013

There will never be a comedy as great as,"Three's Company".

Great wacky neighbors, the Eagle Beagle, it had it all.

by Anonymousreply 5307/19/2013

The seasons are mixed up, never know where or when a favorite sitcom will be on. Media hypes up unwatchables as the next great sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 5407/19/2013

It's Obama's fault.

by Anonymousreply 5507/19/2013

[quote] All in The Family. I'm old enough to have watched it at the time it was out and it used to make me cringe it was so preachy. It was also predictable.

I agree. But Carroll O'Connor was so good I just had to watch him.

by Anonymousreply 5607/19/2013

[quote] All in The Family. I'm old enough to have watched it at the time it was out and it used to make me cringe it was so preachy. It was also predictable.

I call bullshit on this one. 99% of episodes of AitF were NOT preachy at all, just hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 5707/19/2013

They are crappy because they're all the same! And they all use the same annoying laugh track. The latest dull show is Melissa & Joey. All they do is stand around in expensive surroundings and say things to each other, each time with the laugh track going, even when what they're saying is not funny.

And WTF is up with Joey Lawrence's HAIR (on the link below). It looks PAINTED ON!

by Anonymousreply 5907/19/2013

Great sitcoms: Seinfield (1989-1998), Newsradio (1995-1999), Strangers With Candy (1999-2000), Arrested Development (2003-2006), Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000-present) I have had something really funny to watch my whole adult life.

by Anonymousreply 6007/19/2013

Too many awful shows about whiny str8 white New Yorkers in apartments they can't afford.

by Anonymousreply 6107/19/2013

[quote]Great wacky neighbors, the Eagle Beagle, it had it all.

It was the Regal Beagle, you dope!

by Anonymousreply 6207/19/2013

r61 is pretty close to the mark. Friends was such a monster hit that the networks have been trying to reproduce it ever since. The irony is it was 20 years ago and the world has changed - that particular formula doesn't work anymore. You watch a rerun of Friends now and it like "that apartment is fucking ridiculous and so unrealistic for NYC. Why are they all white? Why are the girls so stupid? Chandler is clearly gay, can't they write him as gay?" Etc. etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 6307/19/2013

I'd say a sitcom works and is successful when people laugh out loud every two minutes. If people don't laugh it fails. Good stories help, but if you actually manage to make poeple laugh without a good story, so be it. The thing is, without good stories you usually fail.

My personal problem with current sitcoms are lame stories. Modern sitcoms use a lot of new techniques and devices to tell a story. But to me it usually looks just like masking a lack of good content. Form over content doesn't work for me.

Another personal problem I have with most sitcoms is that humor has become very cynical, too much for my taste. I need a more positive attitude from a show to become comfortable with it.

by Anonymousreply 6407/20/2013

Funny how people in the phony non-reality world of sitcoms are always complaining about money while living in huge, fancy decorated homes and apartments with all-new pricey stuff. Ever notice that?

And I want you to buzz out their droll conversations and just listen to the laugh track. Time it! Every time someone says some unfunny smartass comment the audience laughs. But the sound of it is used over and over again, like a recording.

I think the sound editor applies this to the film's sound track, because I just don't find a lot of these shows funny enough to elicit an audible laugh.

by Anonymousreply 6507/22/2013

[quote]Curb Your Enthusiasm (2000-present)

Is Curb the longest running sitcom ever??

by Anonymousreply 6607/23/2013

R66: Not by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 6707/23/2013

"The Simpsons" is not a sitcom because it's a cartoon. Sitcoms have to be three-camera shows with a live studio audience with real actors.

by Anonymousreply 6807/23/2013

R66 R67 Last of the Summer Wine ran from 1973 to 2010, 37 years in total - just a bit longer than Curb or Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 7007/23/2013

"Television is better than it's ever been."

Right! The Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo is excellent television!

by Anonymousreply 7107/23/2013

I killed The Radio Star, but I did not touch The Sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 7207/23/2013

[quote]Is Curb the longest running sitcom ever??

Not continuously, R66. It debuted in 2000, but it's only had 8 seasons. There was no season in 2003, 2006, 2008, or 2010. It's last season was in 2011 and that was only the 8th. There are talks to bring it up back for one more 9th Season, but that's up in the air.

by Anonymousreply 7307/23/2013

There are still funny sitcoms. They just come from overseas, where television is less censored than it is in the States. Here's one from Australia written by and starring an openly gay comedian (who is not good looking, but the guy who plays his boyfriend sure is).

by Anonymousreply 7407/23/2013

[quote]Right! The Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo is excellent television!

Do you only get two channels?

How about, for starters: Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Veep, Louis, House of Cards, American Horror Story, Spartacus, the Walking Dead, Portlandia, Maron, Community, Parks and Rec, Orphan Black.

by Anonymousreply 7507/23/2013

I think Friends had a big hand in killing the sitcom. And not because I think it was bad (I was a fan) but because it was so successful that every show after it tried to emulate it, but did it wrong. Friends found six actors who were good at comedy and also happened to be attractive. Every show after that found a bunch of pretty people and hoped they'd be funny. And for the most part they weren't.

by Anonymousreply 7607/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!