Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Girl born without a brain is now 6 years old, family seeks support

April Barrett’s daughter, Kaliysha, was born with hydranencephaly, a rare condition that left her without a brain. Despite doctor’s dismal expectations, Kaliysha is now 6 years old and has managed to survive.

Barrett thinks it’s miraculous that her daughter has lived so long, according to Fox 59.

“My doctor told me a week before I delivered that she would be born without a brain, and he told me to go take a picture of my belly, that that would be the last time she would be alive,” Barrett told Fox 59. “I was devastated every time she kicked. It made me cry because I was like, this is the last time you’ll be alive?”

Please donate.

by Anonymousreply 6708/03/2013

For what cruel reason was this girl kept alive?

by Anonymousreply 107/17/2013

I am speechless.

by Anonymousreply 407/17/2013

[quote]I am speechless.

So is she.

by Anonymousreply 507/17/2013

Is she a Kardashian?

by Anonymousreply 607/17/2013

Fox News can relate because most of their anchors suffer from the same condition.

Thank you, I'll be here all week!

by Anonymousreply 707/17/2013

OP you're a shit for linking to fox news.

by Anonymousreply 807/17/2013

Send her to the Wizard, let him give her one.

by Anonymousreply 907/17/2013

[quote]Girl born without a brain is now 6 years old, family seeks support

She was last seen whiling away the hours, conversing with the flowers, and consulting with the rain.

by Anonymousreply 1007/17/2013

Let her pass, before she's old enough to vote Republican!

by Anonymousreply 1107/17/2013

What selfish parents. They wanted this kid to live to prove a point, even though the kid isn't "alive" in any true sense of the word.

by Anonymousreply 1207/17/2013

If they don't get enough money soon, they will sell her off to the nearest traveling carnival show.

by Anonymousreply 1307/17/2013

This womas was also born without a brain.

by Anonymousreply 1407/17/2013

Bruce and I never asked for handouts, and ours has made it to 40!!!

by Anonymousreply 1507/17/2013

Jeffrey Anderson: I have seen this before.

Yes. Brain fever. Or what we call in Austria...

...Kopfgeschlagen. At the current rate of inflation, her brain will laterally explore the...

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Literally explode?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Exactly, within the next three houses.

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Hours?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Yes, will literally explode within next three hours. I would suggest leaving the restraint.

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Restaurant?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Restaurant, yes.

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Her brain will actually explode?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Yes, yes, I've, um, seen it happen. It's a dreadful, dreadful thug. Thing.

by Anonymousreply 1607/17/2013

Dear Angelique... Dear Angelique...

by Anonymousreply 1707/17/2013

Brain and Brain! What is Brain?!

by Anonymousreply 1807/17/2013

I wonder if the parents have other children? There seems to be no good reason for keeping this shell alive unless they're looking to harvest organs for another family member with an illness.

Maybe I'm too cynical by thinking that, but the thought that the parents think this is any sort of decent existence for anyone is just too depressing.

by Anonymousreply 1907/17/2013

I've fallen in love with you, r16.

by Anonymousreply 2007/17/2013

What

by Anonymousreply 2107/17/2013

But Justin Bieber has been reasonably successful.

by Anonymousreply 2207/17/2013

Why are the asking for money? She should qualify for SSI and Medicaid.

by Anonymousreply 2307/17/2013

R23. They are asking for money for her funeral since she is on Hospice. But, the article does not specify how long she has been on Hospice or how long they have been collecting the money. Fishy.

I hate parents who do this shit with all my heart. I understand and fully support a lady's right to choose. But, infants brought into the world with only a bit of their brain stem within their skull should not be kept alive through artificial means for six fucking years.

by Anonymousreply 2407/17/2013

It will be interesting to see if she wakes up for puberty.

Because in my case, my brain stopped working and my dick took over until I was 40.

by Anonymousreply 2507/17/2013

Why would any parent want to go through that for six years. I can understand initial shock, but doesn't reality kick in sooner or later?

by Anonymousreply 2607/17/2013

I see this sort of thing all the time. When death is inevitable, some people will have the sense to give their beloved a merciful death, and some will insist that the doctors use all the tools at their disposal to make the death protracted and horrible. The people who insist that we "save" their loved ones are usually unsophisticated, unaware of what this sort of care is really like. And like this woman, they frequently find they've trapped themselves and their family member in a living hell of half-life.

At least the little girl isn't suffering, she can't.

by Anonymousreply 2707/17/2013

The medical bills from the past six years could easily be over $3 million!

As for burial expenses, she should be accepting bids from taxidermists.

by Anonymousreply 2807/17/2013

I wonder how "pro-life' right wing teabaggers would feel once they realize that those $3 million was paid for by Medicaid? How would they justify their desired gutting of programs that help families and children like these? Has anyone ever put such a pointed question with reference to a real life event of those people?

by Anonymousreply 2907/17/2013

The brain signals your lugs to breathe and heart to breathe. You can't live without a brain. Story is bs.

by Anonymousreply 3007/17/2013

She has a brain stem is what the story means, R30. The rest of it is not there. Did you ever finish high school?

by Anonymousreply 3107/17/2013

R27, I've known people who don't want to accept the fact that their loved one has already, essentially, passed away. Perhaps they hope against hope for a miraculous recovery.

Some say that it's playing God to let someone die a natural death. Ironic because science has already played God by keeping them alive, unnaturally.

by Anonymousreply 3207/17/2013

R30, perhaps you should donate your grey matter since you obviously aren't using it.

by Anonymousreply 3307/17/2013

Who is paying to keep the body alive without a functioning brain?

by Anonymousreply 3407/17/2013

What will be on her iPod?

Goin' Out of My Head

Losing My Mind

by Anonymousreply 3507/17/2013

I really hope they have no other children. Because those kids have gone without everything since this child was born. The constant attention on this one instead of activities or homework assistance or anything.

by Anonymousreply 3607/17/2013

'Brain Drain' - Marianne Faithfull

by Anonymousreply 3707/17/2013

Plant some geraniums in her cranium and prop her up against the front door.

by Anonymousreply 3807/17/2013

It sounds like a Steve Martin film.

by Anonymousreply 3907/17/2013

R29, I agree but who ever accused the teabaggers of being realistic? Remember, "God will provide answers? How sad the number of needy that cannot get medicare but with a little assistance could live a far, far better quality of life, and possibly even return to the workforce.

by Anonymousreply 4007/17/2013

Faux News, Why can't you ask viewers to donate to housing for disabled military vets, who could really use your compassion?

by Anonymousreply 4107/17/2013

[quote] I wonder how "pro-life' right wing teabaggers would feel once they realize that those $3 million was paid for by Medicaid? How would they justify their desired gutting of programs that help families and children like these? Has anyone ever put such a pointed question with reference to a real life event of those people?

Did you see her picture? She's black. repugs are all for pulling the plug on sick black or minority children. You are NEVER, EVER going to see some big media spectacle regarding an end of life situation and a minority.

the repugs think if you aren't one of the rich and/or lucky enough to have health insurance that you should die. Remember this lovely display of caring and concern at an election debate?

by Anonymousreply 4207/17/2013

Poor Mr. Loopner. He was born without a spine.

by Anonymousreply 4307/17/2013

R35, how about the obvious "If I Only Had a Brain".

by Anonymousreply 4407/17/2013

There is a picture in the video of the little girl with 4 other children that I would guess are siblings. And there's another picture(earlier judging by the size of the disabled child)with 2 other kids.

by Anonymousreply 4507/17/2013

R32, I was just thinking about this. But the truth is, we are an interdependent species. We are guiding and helping each other in this life from birth forward. It is necessary. I agree that this brainless shell should not be kept alive, but "playing God" is something that, if you look closely, has been done by most of us, helping our fellow man in myriad ways. Certainly just looking at children, and all the care and guidance they require to successfully make it to adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 4607/18/2013

R46 please. There is a huge difference between "playing God" and raising young to the age of independent survival- like every single animal on the planet does. Food and shelter and assistance in development is not the same as drastic, expensive medical intervention to keep a vegetable technically alive from birth on.

by Anonymousreply 4707/18/2013

R46, you're joking, right?

You don't REALLY think that raising a normal, healthy child to self-sufficiency is on the same level as keeping alive this LITERALLY BRAINLESS shell of a human being, which has zero capacity for thoughts or feelings, do you?

by Anonymousreply 4807/18/2013

I know people that say if they get hit in the head say by a car accident and they don't come out of a coma within a few weeks, to pull the plug.

I also know people that work in hospitals taking care of some of these people for 10 years and come out of it even to the surprise of the doctors.

The difference here, there is no brain except the stem. It is not a 1 in 100 chance, there is 0 out of 100 chance.

by Anonymousreply 4907/18/2013

Wow, what a depressing story.

Honestly, I'm Pro-Choice, but how was this poor woman suppose to make a choice?

She found out too late to get an abortion and judging merely by the family photos, she wasn't hooked up to any machines.

She had a brain stem that allowed her lungs to function and heart to beat.

Now, it appears she needs the machines now that she is in hospice, but it did not appear to be always the case.

by Anonymousreply 5007/18/2013

Don't ask.

by Anonymousreply 5107/18/2013

Ok, am I the only one not buying that Teresa Guidice is 6 years old?

by Anonymousreply 5207/19/2013

R2 I heard Ann Coulter got bit by a poisonous viper. The snake died after 45 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 5307/19/2013

I have flurish in my career without out brain and usa today release pr on my behalf, hatas.

by Anonymousreply 5407/19/2013

Can't they just push an electric radio into her tub of water the next time she has a bath?

by Anonymousreply 5507/20/2013

Is she an organ donor?

by Anonymousreply 5607/20/2013

Girls have brain?

by Anonymousreply 5707/21/2013

Did Rosey Grier's character from THE THING WITH TWO HEADS father this anomaly ?

by Anonymousreply 5907/21/2013

She'll end up living as long as Karen Ann Quinlan & Sunni Von Bulow.

by Anonymousreply 6007/21/2013

Why don't George and Barbara Bush tell them how they handled it?

by Anonymousreply 6107/21/2013

[quote]It will be interesting to see if she wakes up for puberty.

No brain, no consciousness; no hypothalamus, no puberty.

by Anonymousreply 6307/21/2013

R35 R37 That bit never gets old, sophisticated,urbane, sparkling & HI-FUCKING-LARIOUS.

Never change! Really, it's the way you tell it,that keeps it fresh.

A breath of fresh air as always.

I must be new here?

by Anonymousreply 6407/27/2013

STILL roaring @ iPod meme !

by Anonymousreply 6507/27/2013

Hm, and yet I thought this is the soft part of this website, nope this still all fun and jokes.So please have a picture of a Sarah Jessica Parker's ass.

by Anonymousreply 6608/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.