Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Chucky" Wasn't Inspired By The "My Buddy" Doll?

Is Don Mancini for real? Chucky, the killer doll, is totally My Buddy, which came out on a few years prior. His script was written at the time that My Buddy had come out. He now claims that Chucky was based on Cabbage Patch Dolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2013 9:37 PM

Give him a break. He's old, forgetful and suffers from explosive diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2013 4:39 AM

Mancini is clearly lying, but I don't know why. Chucky even wears the same outfit as a My Buddy doll.

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2013 4:39 AM

I still have my My Buddy Doll. I'm in my late thirties, and got it when I was 10. The original hat and the box he came in are long gone, but he's still in good shape with no holes in his (original) clothes.

And yes, Chucky is totally My Buddy. It used to kinda freak me out.

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2013 4:46 AM

It is possible that he had Cabbage Patch dolls in mind when he wrote the script, but by the time it came to filming, it was decided to go another direction. Possibly, because Xavier Roberts was extremely litigious, as is typical of people who have stolen an idea to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2013 5:02 AM

Retired tennis player Martina Hingis, in turn, was inspired by "Chucky."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2013 5:11 AM

There's no resemblance to Cabbage Patch dolls.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2013 5:12 AM

My mother took the clothes off of it and put them on me for a photo thinking it was precious. She did the same with someone detective stuffed animal bear. *shudder*

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2013 5:23 PM

May have changed to a My Buddy type doll between filming and execution.

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2013 5:33 PM

Chucky absolutely WAS NOT inspired by My Buddy! My Buddy didn't talk.

He was inspired by Cricket!

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2013 9:31 PM

[quote]Chucky absolutely WAS NOT inspired by My Buddy! My Buddy didn't talk.

eyeroll.gif

by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2013 9:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!