Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How come no one is talking about Same Love by Macklemore?

A straight rapper (a massively popular straight rapper) puts out a gay equality anthem (an incredibly poignant one) and no one is talking about it?

Oh, and it's burning up the charts.

This is not the same America as it was 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6112/01/2013

Wasn't it released last year? I first heard it this year and I was surprised no one was talking about it so I looked it up. I figured I missed the boat.

In LA, it's now a top ten song on the local pop station.

by Anonymousreply 107/16/2013

Macklemore is straight?????

by Anonymousreply 207/16/2013

It's played all the time here in LA. Great, great song.

by Anonymousreply 307/16/2013

It is a boring song by straight men - who last week both spent a fortune in a NY strip club.

Blurred Lines is far catchier a song.

by Anonymousreply 407/16/2013

Personally, I'm a little peeved by the reaction of some people I know, who would rather support Macklemore's song than music by actual out artists.I suppose my dislike of that attitude has rubbed off on the song.

by Anonymousreply 507/16/2013

[quote]Personally, I'm a little peeved by the reaction of some people I know, who would rather support Macklemore's song than music by actual out artists.

For what it's worth, Mary Lambert, who sings the hook in the song, is an out artist.

by Anonymousreply 607/16/2013

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 707/16/2013

I don't get people like you that bitch about why folks aren't talking about something. So, talk about it already!

by Anonymousreply 807/16/2013

I don't know who he is. I don't listen to pop music (especially rap), and no, I'm not an old geezer. I just happen to think pop music absolutely sucks the big one these days. That having been said, whoever he is, if he's that popular and has done this, I think it's great!

by Anonymousreply 907/16/2013

They're too busy in every other thread talking about that thug Trayvon Martin and that fine, upstanding citizen George Zimmerman.

You expect DLers to like a RAP song?

by Anonymousreply 1007/16/2013

Thanks, r6. I didn't know that, and it does make a difference. Off to buy a copy of the song, then...

by Anonymousreply 1107/16/2013

Just heard it- it's great-and I usually hate hip hop

by Anonymousreply 1207/17/2013

Lame song.

by Anonymousreply 1307/17/2013

The song is the biggest gay rights song in history, based on charts, sales, media attention, and public reaction. Nothing else even comes close. For that, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis deserve all the accolades they are receiving.

by Anonymousreply 1407/17/2013

Read his statement on the recent Supreme Court rulings?

Who is this guy? He is the most incredible straight advocate we have right now. Christ.

by Anonymousreply 1507/17/2013

The message of the song is poignant and meaningful and so is the promotional video, I guess, but this is not good music.

by Anonymousreply 1607/17/2013

It came out a LONG time ago in urban areas and big cities, so it's actually kind of played out.

It's sort of making its way right now into flyover country and other conservative areas, which are usually behind the times.

Still, it's pretty amazing that the song has become mainstream.

However, if the hook had been "my love my love my love HE keeps me warm," and sung by a guy, the song would not have been as accepted as it is now.

The "my love my love my love SHE keeps me warm" can be sung by straight guys, and not be seen as "gay."

Lame, but true.

by Anonymousreply 1707/18/2013

[quote]I'm not an old geezer

Uh huh.

[quote]It came out a LONG time ago in urban areas and big cities, so it's actually kind of played out. It's sort of making its way right now into flyover country and other conservative areas, which are usually behind the times.

Oh yes, only urban areas and big cities have access to current music.

Yes, the single was first released a year ago. It's getting airplay now because "Thrift Shop" became Macklemore's first crossover hit.

by Anonymousreply 1807/18/2013

he's got a lot of character

by Anonymousreply 1907/18/2013

I checked out the video on YouTube last year and thought it was great.

I was shocked when I heard it on the radio while driving to work a few weeks back. And actually the DJ said it was the number one requested song of the week.

by Anonymousreply 2007/18/2013

You can hear "People Get Ready" in it. This song was intro'd to me by my 16 yr old nephew abt six months ago. It helped him bond with a lesbian classmate. That's the import of it.

by Anonymousreply 2107/18/2013

Some of you live in a cave. How can you not know who Macklemore is? He and Justin Timberlake have ruled the music charts and airplay all year.

by Anonymousreply 2207/18/2013

R22, most on DL are ancient fossils. Hence the existence of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2307/18/2013

This is yet another reason for each and every one of us to come out to our family and friends. Do you suppose he would have done this song and issued such a supportive statement if he didn't have gay uncles???

It hits home when one has a close relative who is gay. Coming out to your family is one of the best ways to change people's minds.

by Anonymousreply 2407/18/2013

Come on, dudes. How can you live in America and not know who Macklemore is and not have heard his hit song "Same Love?" Some people really are out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 2507/18/2013

R32, there's nothing DL hates more than an openly gay entertainer. You must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 3307/25/2013

Macklemore is straight. There's actually nothing DL hates more than someone who hates on a cute straight guy. I'm with R29. He's a nobody who's trying to make a career being "tolerant." It's like a white guy assuming that black people will worship him because he sang "A Change is Gonna Come."

by Anonymousreply 3407/25/2013

The song is preachy and annoying. I turn it off whenever it comes on..

I don't need a song to tell me how to feel about equality and civil rights. If M., wanted more people to talk about the issue he should have written a song with a better beat and a catchy chorus.

I dislike the misogynistic slant to Blurred Lines, but at least it's worth singing along to.

by Anonymousreply 3507/25/2013

OP, I had not heard of it before reading your post. But then again I'm in my early 40s and am not its target audience.

Just watched as much of it as I could stand on youtube. Agree with r35 that it's preachy and the hook is unoriginal and I have no desire to listen to it again.

But I can see how it would be moving to a young person.

by Anonymousreply 3708/07/2013

It bugged me a bit that he felt the need to establish his straightness in the opening lyrics. But I guess that's better than him playing the guessing game and toying with us. So quibbling aside, it's a good song.

[quote]However, if the hook had been "my love my love my love HE keeps me warm," and sung by a guy, the song would not have been as accepted as it is now.

You realize a chick sings that part, right? But if you're saying the lesbos are more acceptable to straight men than gay guys, well, that's not news.

by Anonymousreply 4308/10/2013

It's nice, but it takes too long to play so I switch to something else.

It's kind of like seeing a red ribbon - "Eh, thanks for your ribbony support."

Now, every time Robin Thicke's song comes on I wonder about the size of his dick, its hue, its form, its girthiness.

by Anonymousreply 4508/10/2013

He's ugly and the song is utter shit.

by Anonymousreply 4708/15/2013

Eminem is one busted,creepy ass, ugly lookin' MOTHERFUCKER!

by Anonymousreply 5110/20/2013

[quote]not some lame bid to get publicity for himself

No, it's all about the money. Go buy my music, gay friends!

by Anonymousreply 5210/20/2013

[R53] And Macklemore and Ryan Lewis REALLY CARE about you too.

by Anonymousreply 5510/20/2013

As a matter of taste, I just didn't get into it. I'm more into cheesy throwback beats and stuff I can boogie out to, so I like "Can't Hold Us" a lot, and freaking LOVE "Thrift Shop". I heard "Same Love" and was like, "Aw, that was nice!" and then forgot about it.

by Anonymousreply 5610/20/2013

This music is pandering. It's hip hop covered in green Nickelodeon goo.

by Anonymousreply 5812/01/2013

Heard it on the radio the other day but wasn't too impressed with the beat. A real bore.

by Anonymousreply 5912/01/2013

Fuck me, I appreciate the sentiment coming from a straight guy, but the song sucks donkey balls.

by Anonymousreply 6012/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.