Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

This is why we need to give MORE power to the government.

Urban Outfitters started selling a coffee mug (see link) that looked like a prescription bottle, stating that it had caffeine and to "refill when empty".

22 State Attorneys General got together and sent a letter to them that said "Stop it right now. For the sake of humanity, cease and desist!"

Here is the letter-

On behalf of the undersigned Attorneys General, we request that Urban Outfitters immediately cease sales of your “Prescription Line” of glasses, coasters, mugs, drink holders and related products that mimic prescription pill bottles and prescription pads.

As you may be aware, there is a national health crisis related to the abuse and diversion of prescription drugs. As Attorneys General, we have prosecuted and engaged in outreach to stop this epidemic. We are actively engaged in a campaign of environmental change to educate the public that abuse of prescription drugs is not safe simply because the medication originated from a doctor. By putting these highly recognizable labels on your products you are undermining our efforts. These products demean the thousands of deaths that occur each month in the United States from accidental overdoses.

These products are not in any way fun or humorous but make light of this rampant problem. We invite you to pull these products from your shelves and join with us to fight prescription drug abuse.

-----

We spend billions keeping these fucking morons in office, and THIS is the shit they are concerned with? REALLY?

Our government is as fucked up as it is evil.

by Anonymousreply 5307/24/2013

Here is one link

by Anonymousreply 107/16/2013

Here is the part of the article that EVERY datalounge reader needs to remember.

---

[bold]Unfortunately, Urban Outfitters caved and pulled the products, but think of all the things you could nix with this line of thinking: Many people are seriously concerned that they’ve been abducted by aliens, so we can’t allow The X-Files on television. Hitler’s Germany killed a buttload of people, so The Producers is not allowed. A certain percentage of the followers of Islam are offended by depictions of the Prophet Muhammed, so we can’t show a satirical cartoon in… oh, wait.

And that’s really the point: once we begin giving away our right for humor or satire in speech in favor of the comfort of the offended, we’re lost. You might as well just outlaw humor altogether. This case shows that wonderfully, considering that nothing about a prescription coffee mug is directly poking fun at anyone overdosing or dying. Making that leap requires legs for which my mental faculties won’t allow. Besides, I have to imagine there are better things twenty-three attorneys general could be doing than writing letters about coffee mugs.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 207/16/2013

[quote]killed a buttload of people

"buttload"??? How old is that writer, 12?

by Anonymousreply 307/16/2013

Urban Outfitters supports ultra right wing/anti-gay causes. Of course they're going to kiss ass when it comes to conservative "WON'T SOMEONE THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN?" hysteria.

I have no sympathy for a company that wants to destroy me.

by Anonymousreply 407/16/2013

R4-

Really?

That's like saying you hate San Diego because they let lesbians live there.

by Anonymousreply 507/17/2013

R5, really? That's like saying banana fana foe fana fee fie DAT'S DA SUCK JOB!

by Anonymousreply 607/17/2013

R6-

Lesbian sucking is not something I want to think about before bed.

by Anonymousreply 707/17/2013

Damn, I was hoping the poster who sucks government cock for a living would post on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 807/18/2013

UO is on the record for being a profits-above-ALL scum-sucking whore. I hope they are bankrupt within the decade

by Anonymousreply 907/18/2013

Denying people fake prescription bottles is pure, undiluted FASCISM!!*

by Anonymousreply 1007/18/2013

[quote]You might as well just outlaw humor altogether.

Pull yourself the fuck together, Mary. It was one fucking coffee cup.

by Anonymousreply 1107/18/2013

the coffee lobbyists...

by Anonymousreply 1507/19/2013

Be powerful. Don't buy the stuff. It'll stop, really. It will.

by Anonymousreply 1607/19/2013

R14 thank you for my first major chuckle of today.

Some of you "evil government" types need to get a grip, false analogies about not allowing X-Files in case wannabe alien abductees are offended does nothing for your argument.

by Anonymousreply 1707/19/2013

More proof the fraus and freepers have overrun DL.

by Anonymousreply 2007/19/2013

They follow and mimic the gays, yet make such an outward disdain for them, it's really quite fascinating, r20.

by Anonymousreply 2107/19/2013

R20-

No, it is proof that people who can't understand that gay men and women can support freedom instead of being good little government cocksuckers are speaking up about the evil actions of our government.

by Anonymousreply 2207/19/2013

No, it is proof that gay people are just as likely to be paranoid loons as straight people.

by Anonymousreply 2307/19/2013

You just figured that out NOW?

by Anonymousreply 2407/19/2013

R24-

I'm glad you are smart enough to see the deep, rotten evil at the heart of the USGOV.

So many people worship it, and believe it does good things, and they refuse to see the massive evils the USGov supports, defends and hides.

The fact that the average US Citizen is a slave to the government makes me sick.

by Anonymousreply 2507/20/2013

[quote]So many people worship it, and believe it does good things, and they refuse to see the massive evils the USGov supports, defends and hides.

Still waiting for any quote or any evidence that anyone, here or anywhere else, "worships" the government.

[quote]The fact that the average US Citizen is a slave to the government makes me sick.

You do seem to get sick a lot. I recommend a good colonic.

by Anonymousreply 2607/20/2013

There's quite enough lunacy in this thread on top of the OP chiming in to respond to every response.

Urban Outfitters was founded and is run by an asshole of a high order, a supporter of Rick Santorum of all people, among other things. Old news. However, the company's cowardice in caving to a more than ridiculous threat is not "just desserts" simply because the company, time and again, courts controversy with cheap shot products then caves in and pulls the products and moves on to rip off or offend someone else.

The outrageous demand of the 22 state attorneys general is the bigger issue, and one not lessened because Urban Outfitters is an asshole of a company.

[quote]Until power is devolved to the local level, and Washington DC is a holocaust museum to the evils of powerful central government then our country is fucked.

OP is right (in the thread title) to question the abuse of power by governments in the name of protecting people. He's wrong to think that the regulation of food and drugs should devolve to the madness of the 19,000 municipal governments. He's right that the answer to every problem is not a government program, and every bit as wrong to think that the answer to every problem is having no role for government -- the sort of asshole who can take a good point and quickly make you disagree with him because of his underlying and simplistic agenda.

by Anonymousreply 2707/20/2013

[quote]He's right that the answer to every problem is not a government program, and every bit as wrong to think that the answer to every problem is having no role for government

To that poster, those are the only two choices: all or nothing; black or white.

by Anonymousreply 2807/20/2013

[quote] Until power is devolved to the local level, and Washington DC is a holocaust museum to the evils of powerful central government then our country is fucked.

The action described above has NOTHING to do with the FEDERAL government. It was the local state attorneys general in states like OHIO that took this action.

I have greater loathing of the Texas, Indiana, North Carolina, Florida and Kansas (and other) local state legislatures than anything cooked up at the federal level where there is at least a substantial amount of oversight.

by Anonymousreply 2907/20/2013

R29-

R29-

[quote]The action described above has NOTHING to do with the FEDERAL government. It was the local state attorneys general in states like OHIO that took this action. [quote]I have greater loathing of the Texas, Indiana, North Carolina, Florida and Kansas (and other) local state legislatures than anything cooked up at the federal level where there is at least a substantial amount of oversight.

I hope you will re-read your post.

In the USA, circa 2013, the government has total access to our email and phone records and can track us via cell phone.

Please try to examine the evil acts of the USA before posting.

by Anonymousreply 3007/20/2013

[quote]I hope you will re-read your post.

Why? He's right. Your rant, as always, is against the federal government, but the situation in this case has nothing to do with the federal government. Those were state attorneys general.

[quote]In the USA, circa 2013, the government has total access to our email and phone records and can track us via cell phone.

Which has zilch to do with the topic of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3107/20/2013

R31-

The pussification of the USA is complete.

by Anonymousreply 3207/21/2013

Got your ass handed to you again, didn't you, R32?

by Anonymousreply 3307/21/2013

R33-

How?

Please explain. You are just another government shill.

by Anonymousreply 3407/22/2013

[quote]Please explain.

Wow. You really are genuinely stupid, aren't you? See R29 and R31.

[quote]You are just another government shill.

Uh-huh, right, whatever. It's what you always say when you get your ass handed to you. You're quite predictable.

by Anonymousreply 3507/22/2013

R35-

Please explain how the sheepish bleating at R29/31 have anything to do with what I wrote.

by Anonymousreply 3607/22/2013

It's not my fault that you are wholly unable to comprehend clear points written in plain English, R36. Come back when you're actually prepared to read what others write instead of engaging in a dialog that exists only in your fevered imagination.

by Anonymousreply 3707/22/2013

R37-

When you can form a coherent argument please come back.

by Anonymousreply 3807/22/2013

ROFL... Why, R38? That's never held you back. Thank you for conceding that you have no answer for R29 and R31.

by Anonymousreply 3907/22/2013

For chrissake who doesn't have prescription bottles in their house? They're a common item. Are they supposed to be shameful or something?

by Anonymousreply 4007/23/2013

R40-

Government and reason don't mix.

by Anonymousreply 4107/24/2013

Like Libertarians and functioning brain cells don't mix.

by Anonymousreply 4207/24/2013

Once again, R42-

Please explain why you hate liberty and freedom.

You always deflect the question. Answer or begone, TROLL!

by Anonymousreply 4307/24/2013

Why do I hate liberty and freedom? Why do you keep trying to holocaust me with your fascist behavior?

Until you can answer that question, you're the one who has to leave!

by Anonymousreply 4407/24/2013

R43 you're not making any sense.

by Anonymousreply 4507/24/2013

R45-

Explain how the government has the power to tell a private company to cease selling a coffee cup.

by Anonymousreply 4607/24/2013

Libertarian Troll, I don't think you're going to get many people defending the government wasting its time trying to stop a company from selling a coffee cup that looks like a prescription bottle, but trying to get people outraged that the government can stop companies from selling products? Impossible.

The government that can crack down on prescription bottle coffee cups is also the one that can stop a company from making coffee cups of toxic material. Most people don't find it outrageous that government has that power, or that the government has powers that individuals don't (sure, they can put people in jail, but if I do it, it's called kidnapping!).

Read some Hobbes if you want an idea why governments have powers not granted to individuals; it's hardly controversial.

But you operate from the idea that government is itself an evil, and while you might get people to agree that governments can do evil things (which isn't exactly conceding a huge point), I doubt anyone's going to join you on your crusade against the whole idea of civil society itself.

by Anonymousreply 4707/24/2013

R47, aka Liberty Hating Shill for our Fascist Government Overlordst

I'm so glad you've embraced it.

[Quote]The government that can crack down on prescription bottle coffee cups is also the one that can stop a company from making coffee cups of toxic material.

Notwithstanding the poor job the government has done w/r/t public safety, any company that sold poison cups would be a) sued out of existence, b) vigilant about safety, and c) apt to create control systems without gov interference.

[quote]Most people don't find it outrageous that government has that power, or that the government has powers that individuals don't (sure, they can put people in jail, but if I do it, it's called kidnapping!).

Our government is killing, imprisoning and harassing black men at a far higher rate than whites. I think that is outrageous. It's sick that you defend it.

by Anonymousreply 4807/24/2013

[quote]Please explain why you hate liberty and freedom.

ROFL.... Yes, because everyone who understands that you're an ignorant paranoid loon must necessarily "hate liberty and freedom." That line of reasoning is just so ... well, I'm sure that everyone can fill in the appropriate adjective.

by Anonymousreply 4907/24/2013

[quote]Our government is killing, imprisoning and harassing black men at a far higher rate than whites. I think that is outrageous. It's sick that you defend it.

He didn't. Is reading comprehension always this much trouble for you?

by Anonymousreply 5007/24/2013

I'm convinced more than ever that our resident Libertarian troll is mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 5107/24/2013

What R4 said. They're an irresponsible company that has sold tshirts and other items with racist, sexist and homophobic slogans before. And they are owned by a rabid, wealthy right-wing ideologue who supports Rick Santorum and other conservative, homophobic politics. Urban Outfitters and anyone who shops there can go to hell.

And OP? Those attorneys general have a point. Addiction and drug dependency are not very funny topics. Perhaps when you grow up and lose a few friends to this issue you'll have the maturity and sensitivity to understand.

by Anonymousreply 5207/24/2013

If you look around at the state of the world today, and THIS is what upsets you most, you're a fucking fool.

by Anonymousreply 5307/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.