Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cory Monteith Singing Ability

He never sang professionally.

So how would you rate his singing ability?

Vote below and then comment

by Anonymousreply 3708/17/2013

All of them are so engineered and auto tuned its barely their own voices.

by Anonymousreply 107/15/2013

He started out pretty embarrassingly bad for a supposed lead male singer for the show, his season 1 stuff tends to be autotuned to hell.

He kept getting better though, by his last season I was impressed by his vocal performances he was turning in. Still had a relatively small comfort zone but could own the right song.

Never was able to become a competent dancer. Not that Lea ever got good at that either.

by Anonymousreply 207/15/2013

[quote] Not that Lea ever got good at that either.

Lea has had Broadway where she had to perform 8 times a week.

by Anonymousreply 307/15/2013

he was never a triple threat, not even a double threat. Maybe he finally realized that.

by Anonymousreply 407/15/2013

When he sang it looked like he was passing a bowling ball out of his ass.

by Anonymousreply 507/15/2013

He started off pretty terrible, but he improved a lot over the years. I was genuinely impressed by a couple of his season three and four performances.

by Anonymousreply 607/16/2013

-anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 707/16/2013

Oh God, if you were "impressed" by him in the latest season, you have absolutely no standards when it comes to judging singing ability. He actually got worse as he went along because combined with his lack of talent came the hubris of thinking he could carry the show.

by Anonymousreply 807/16/2013

"He never sang professionally."

So his Glee stint was for charity? Because I think if you get paid to sing, no matter how poorly, that kind of makes you a professional singer.

by Anonymousreply 907/16/2013

R9 He never sang professionally, PRIOR to his stint on Glee

by Anonymousreply 1007/16/2013

R10, I thought that you had to sing as part of the audition process for Glee. How come they hired non-singers? Monteith was cute and very likeable.

by Anonymousreply 1107/16/2013

In his original audition for Glee he DID NOT sing.

He was hired, not for his voice.

by Anonymousreply 1207/16/2013

Because they cared more about looks and likeability.

by Anonymousreply 1307/16/2013

Go to 3:00 for Cory non-singing audition

by Anonymousreply 1407/16/2013

I remember seeing somewhere that he had sent FOX a tape of him singing REO Speedwagon, Can't fight this feeling (which he also sang on the show)....that led to him being cast.

by Anonymousreply 1507/16/2013

I think I need to be drugged before I can give an honest opinion.

by Anonymousreply 1607/16/2013

R15 that was AFTER the first audition.

by Anonymousreply 1707/16/2013

[quote]He actually got worse as he went along because combined with his lack of talent came the hubris of thinking he could carry the show.

Well for such lack of talent he got to live the fantasy of being a rock star all over the world for two years. So your opinion means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1807/16/2013

'Monteith was cute and very likeable.'

To me, His age (only three years younger than Matthew Morrison) was really showing in the past season. His singing was just ok, but I liked him.

by Anonymousreply 1907/16/2013

DL, To all of you who ask why ladies like reading this board, it's because we finally find out the truth about everything. I would have never known about auto tune, or that Glee 1st auditions weren't about finding the best singers.

Why don't they have a national search for the best teen Glee Club singers? It would be great publicity for the show, to have a real competition. Please don't reference AI; I've already been told that that show is too fake.

by Anonymousreply 2007/16/2013

R18 he sounded terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2107/16/2013

[quote]he sounded terrible.

Uh huh, what a surprise answer. This is Datalounge Honey, where every successful actor/singer/dancer is talentless. Listen, he had great success, had millions of fans. He toured the world and sold millions of songs. You didn't like him, so what?

by Anonymousreply 2207/16/2013

Exactly - so what? And yet you're responding...

by Anonymousreply 2307/16/2013

[quote]Listen, he had great success, had millions of fans. He toured the world and sold millions of songs.

What a completely bullshit argument.

You could say that X 1000 for either Britney Spears or Lina McCartney, but neither of them could actually sing if their lives depended on it.

by Anonymousreply 2407/16/2013

[quote]Lea has had Broadway where she had to perform 8 times a week.

You left a few things out, toots. I had to bare my boobs end of act 1 and beginning of act 2 and then i died of a botched back alley abortion following my first sexual intercourse with a gay man. Wendla did more than sing and dance.

That takes talent.

by Anonymousreply 2507/16/2013

i enjoyed cory monteith's rough-around-the edge voice and admired him for the fact that he was not a prior singer, like many of the other characters. the contrast between lea michele's polished voice and his made for enjoyable contrast. his enthusiasm and bravery of character are admirable to me. i'm sorry he lost his life- despite some of the negative posts, i appreciated his ability to act & persevere in his weaker areas; in that way, he was very inspiring to me.

by Anonymousreply 2608/17/2013

Finn had to be somebody who was kind of out of place as a glee club performer. That's why they didn't cast somebody like Aaron Tveit, who would just seem like a Broadway kid.

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2013

Auto-tune can turn a spoken verse into sounding like singing in tune and on key.

Most of today's pop stars can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 2808/17/2013

Quite a few people posting seem to be able to know when a singer is auto-tuned.

How exactly?

by Anonymousreply 2908/17/2013

R29, Watch this or skip to 1:35 and to the end. You will be educated.

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2013

R29 - really? I watched the video and I must have missed the part where it explains how you can tell that a singer has been auto-tuned.

As far as I can tell it was an example of using auto-tune - and not being able to tell it had been done.

How does someone watch Glee and determine the actors are being auto-tuned?

by Anonymousreply 3108/17/2013

One example of auto-tune is an unnaturally smooth voice. Then there's the "yodel" glissando between notes. Third is when there is an electronic echo or reverb.

by Anonymousreply 3208/17/2013

Clay Aiken demonstrates auto tune. He says the lyrics in a monotone speaking voice and the auto tune engineer makes him sing in tune. This is exaggerated for effect but the electronic whine is the typical marker for auto tune. Chris Brown's "Forever" is rank with it. Bruno Mars, Kanye West, Cher, Kesha, Rihanna, Katy Perry all use it.

by Anonymousreply 3308/17/2013

Have you got an example of what you mean by the '"yodel" glissando between notes', R32?

by Anonymousreply 3408/17/2013

R34, listen to Cher's "Believe".

by Anonymousreply 3508/17/2013

OK - so I watched the videos on auto-tune.

Read the comments.

Then did a quick google search.

The consensus is a lot of pop singers use it - actually just expect their recordings will be run through auto-tune.

Given a recording of someone who you have never heard singing before - you can't tell. Best case if you are really well trained you could guess auto-tune was used because the singer's pitch was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 3608/17/2013

Corey Monteith recreates the audition process

by Anonymousreply 3708/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!