Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is James Dean such a legend?

I don't understand. I watched some clips of him and I thought he was alright but it wasn't anything awe-inspiring. And he was good-looking but not astoundingly gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 5308/07/2013

Tragic death at a young age

by Anonymousreply 107/15/2013

It's the (Marilyn) Monroe Doctrine. Those who die young and tragically are credited with having more talent than they actually possessed.

by Anonymousreply 207/15/2013

Charisma plus talent plus tragic early death plus the luck to have appeared in films that are still admired and watched today.

by Anonymousreply 307/15/2013

Where is the ol' dude that turned the other thread into a James Dean shrine and seemed oblivious to the fact that it was intended as something else.

by Anonymousreply 407/16/2013

Isn't he legendary for his big dick, and the way he used it to give pleasure to both men and women? The man was a sharer (as well as a great actor, of course).

by Anonymousreply 507/16/2013

He fucked that Teen Mom slut in the ass. Reason enough I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 607/16/2013

He's a legend because he rebelled against all the goody-goody, pretend to be happy even if you're not shit that was the culture in the 1950's.

by Anonymousreply 707/16/2013

Come closer, sonny, so I can hit you with my walking stick.

by Anonymousreply 807/16/2013

Died young and handsome, probably fucked some well connected producers. That'll get ya in the history books.

by Anonymousreply 907/16/2013

Actually, film acting, up till the fifties, was very put on and artificial-- very showy. Everything was overly emphasized.

He was part of a new movement shifting to a more realistic style of acting. Moments that were more authentic. This was the influence of The Actor's Studio in NYC. You can watch films of the forties and see the performance differences when you compare them to the 50's. (In fact, if you watch the movie "Street Car Named Desire", you'll see both styles battling (Brando vs Leigh). Some actors were old school and some new school.

So Dean was one of the early "pioneers" of a "new style of acting".

by Anonymousreply 1007/16/2013

Is it true James Dean didn't always smell that nice? As in needs to shower or bathe more?

by Anonymousreply 1107/16/2013

He was handsome, sensitive, and rebellious. He had sex appeal to both men and women. He dressed cool. His performances were original and felt emotionally genuine, which was not popular before. He died young and will always be remembered as pure, he never had a chance to sell out or give a bad performance.

by Anonymousreply 1207/16/2013

He was sexually excited by having strange men extinguish their cigarettes on his skin.

by Anonymousreply 1307/16/2013

When did he die? I just watched a pron he did.

by Anonymousreply 1407/16/2013

He looked good in tight jeans, and men around the world began wearing denim.

Bulging crotch became a fashion must from then on.

by Anonymousreply 1507/16/2013

He's best in East of Eden, because he's surrounded by other twitchy young actors doing much the same thing he is. He's worst in Giant, because he's the only Method actor, and everyone else seems to be in a typical epic Hollywood movie and seems to be having some sort of fit.

His sexiest quality was the way he filled out his clothes. His body looked much sexier in clothes than it did when he had them off. For some reason he always looked like he was about to burst out of what he was wearing.

by Anonymousreply 1607/16/2013

He didn't suck too well, but that sweet hole was TIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 1707/16/2013

He never got old or ugly or wore a bad hair piece or got disastrous plastic surgery.

He also never appeared in some embarrassing clunker of a film during his lifetime

It's the Hollywood dream. Except for the early death part.

But hey, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

by Anonymousreply 1807/16/2013

R10, the early talkies featured realistic performances, but after the Hays Code was enforced in 1934 they started using that stupid Mid-Atlantic (cross of British/American) accent, and the acting became broader and melodramatic.

That's why I love pre-Code era movies. They almost seem modern, the black-and-white photography notwithstanding. They featured sexual innuendo, miscegenation, profanity, illegal drug use, promiscuity, prostitution, infidelity, abortion, intense violence, homosexuality and even some nudity.

by Anonymousreply 1907/16/2013

He had the exquisitely good timing to make his big screen debut just as rock-and-roll entered the universal American consciousness.

In the summer of '54 the dowdy Post-War Truman years finally ceded to the "Fonzie" Fifties that we associate with that decade. EAST OF EDEN premiered in March of 1955. "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets hit Number One on the Pop Charts in July of that year. REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE opened in late October. 1955 was a crucial year in the birth of the modern American Youth Culture. Dean was in the thick of it, so much so that he came to define both his brief era and his immortal type.

by Anonymousreply 2007/16/2013

BTW: I've always been confused by the title REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE. The way people pronounce "rebel" as "rebl" doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't it be "rebel" as in "re-BELL"? REBEL (verb) WITHOUT A CAUSE makes better sense than REBEL (noun) WITHOUT A CAUSE.

by Anonymousreply 2107/16/2013

No, r21.

Just no.

by Anonymousreply 2207/16/2013

He looked good in khakis too.

Did Brando really fuck his ass or is that just old hollywood rumor?

by Anonymousreply 2307/16/2013

Idiot at R22, you wanna say something to me?

Yes, pronouncing rebel as a noun in the title REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE doesn't make sense. It should be pronounced as a verb. I think people say "rebl" because it trips off the tongue better.

by Anonymousreply 2407/16/2013

R24, the title is referring to A rebel. Dean is THE rebel to whom the title refers. He is a rebel against the whole of society around him. He is not fighting for anything other than his own existence, hence the title.

How do you not get that at once and so many millions before you have done?

by Anonymousreply 2507/16/2013

Imagine if THE LITTLEST REBEL starring Shirley Temple were pronounced "The Littlest Re-BELL."

It makes it sound like young Shirley will lead an army of children who may be revolting in more ways than one. Aided and abetted by Bill "Bojangles" Robinson!

by Anonymousreply 2607/16/2013

Dean was the first sensitive teen, far more geek than stud but beautiful just the same. Myth is he worshipped Brando ( who did get there first, Clift too on some level) who did NOT return the affection so the old blowjob/fucking may be wishful thinking. There isn't much record of them spending any time together.

Watch the James Franco biopic, I swear it will explain a lot. :)

by Anonymousreply 2707/16/2013

Dean was poor and eccentric. Either may have led to bad hygiene.

Back in the 40's and 50's deodorant, as we know it, wasn't widely used, but cologne was. And people didn't wash their clothes that often. (In Los Angeles: closets had these little doors in the back that went to the outside to let air in and ventilate the clothes hanging in it. It's so hot in LA, I can't imagine wearing a suit in the middle of summer, but men did.)

by Anonymousreply 2807/16/2013

R25 I get that. But rebel as a verb makes more sense. To "resist/defy authority without a goal/principal" sounds better.

by Anonymousreply 2907/16/2013

But R29, that is not the message of the movie. The title isn't instructing the audience to rebel, with or without cause.

by Anonymousreply 3007/16/2013

R11, James could wear the same clothes for a long time. During the shooting of the Giant he wore the same shirt for weeks and he refused to take it out in order to have it washed.

by Anonymousreply 3107/16/2013

""The Littlest Re-BELL."

aka 'Toddlers & Tiaras.'

by Anonymousreply 3207/16/2013

[quote] Actually, film acting, up till the fifties, was very put on and artificial-- very showy. Everything was overly emphasized. He was part of a new movement shifting to a more realistic style of acting.

I find Dean's acting more artificial than most of the movie performances that preceded it. He over emoted everything so hard. I remember seeing Dennis Hopper (who was a friend and admirer of Dean's) saying that when he and Dean were working on a film together Dean pulled him aside to give him some advice on how to do crying scenes. He told Hopper that when you have to cry on film cry so you have to leave the room. No qualifications apparently added about situation or character, just always cry so you have to leave the room. I can understand that Dean seemed new and exciting at the time, but I don't know about calling them "more real". I wonder if he would have stuck with that style over the long term had he lived?

By the way, Dean wasn't being a dick by giving acting advice to Hopper. Hopper been so blown away by Dean's acting on the film that he'd previously went up to Dean weeping about how great it was and how he could probably never be that great.

by Anonymousreply 3307/16/2013

i love James Deen. What a cock!

by Anonymousreply 3407/22/2013

Timing - he was the young idol for the baby boomers who ended up because of their vast numbers deciding what was to be deified. Plus, he died young.

by Anonymousreply 3507/22/2013

Also, the concept of teenage-ness didn't exist in the popular consciousness before Dean's generation, so he was a symbol of something new and because of his death was fixed at that age in pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 3607/22/2013

R21, R24, The character of Jim Stark was a rebel without a cause. I don't quite understand why the title doesn't make sense to you except as a verb.

by Anonymousreply 3707/22/2013

R24, just stop. You're wrong.

I was obsessed with James Dean as a teenager. I don't remember why or how I even discovered him (this was the mid-90s). And I wasn't obsessed with him because of his status as film's "first teenage hero" or the changing social climate of the 1950s - though those things are all accurate.

He was just a great movie star, however brief his stint. He jumped off the screen. There was something so equally vulnerable/tough about him. And his three films were so impressionable to me in very different ways. Tragic in East of Eden (his best, IMHO), angry in Rebel, and odd in Giant.

by Anonymousreply 3807/22/2013

Mickey (and Judy) were teen stars long before "Rebel". Not every teen is or was a rebel.

by Anonymousreply 3907/22/2013

I don't think Judy or Mickey were ever referred to as teenagers. They were called Young People. Or Youth.

by Anonymousreply 4007/22/2013

And when Shirley Temple played a teenager in the late 1940s, she was called a bobbysoxer. In The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer.

Teenagers weren't invented until the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 4107/22/2013

The teenager, as we know it today, first became a social phenomenon in the mid 1950s. This was due in large part to the rising middle class (due to the post war industrial military complex boom), the shrinking of the farming class (and the rise of the suburbs), and, well, television (ads!!). More teenagers suddenly had more free time than ever before. They had buying power for the first time ever and their parents had money to spend, also a new concept for average Americans. This gave way to silly trends (hula hooping, pet rocks), to rock-n-roll, and, yes, to angst. James Dean in Rebel was the first character in a film to document this social sea change. Thus, he is film's "first teenager". Not, of course, the first young actor to be a star.

by Anonymousreply 4207/22/2013

Can't wait to see Deen in "The Canyons"! Hear he steals it from Lindsay!

by Anonymousreply 4308/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 4408/02/2013

Died young, and there has never been anyone more photogenic. Ever. Including Garbo, who relied on good lighting while being gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 4508/02/2013

Is it me or does anyone else feel that dean's iconic status has faded over the years? In the '70s into the '90s he was on par with Marilyn and Elvis, but now his estate doesn't even make enough money to crack the list of Top Ten moneymaking dead celebrities. Elvis and Marilyn were #2 and #3, respectively, with Michael Jackson at #1. He's still a Hollywood legend, but I feel he's going the way of Rudolph Valentino and Jean Harlow, who were both iconic at one point until they faded from the public's consciousness. Now only film buffs seem to know who they are.

by Anonymousreply 4608/02/2013

[quote]This gave way to silly trends (hula hooping, pet rocks), to rock-n-roll, and, yes, to angst.

Pet rocks were from 1975.

by Anonymousreply 4708/02/2013

Elvis was number one on the Top Ten moneymaking dead celebrity list for most of 30 years until Michael died.

Elvis would lose the number one position every now and then when something new was released from another dead celebrity. But then Elvis would regain the lead the next year.

I see Michael in the lead and Elvis coming in second for several more years to come.

On another note . .can you imagine how hot it would have been if the young Elvis and James Dean had sex?

by Anonymousreply 4808/07/2013

OP, seeing some clips will not give you the proper perspective. If you are lucky enough to live near a movie theater that plays classics, go see him on a big screen like everyone did back in the day. He is mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 4908/07/2013

He was a Byronic hero - brooding, handsome, mercurial, melancholic. His acting style, however, seems dated and a tad kitschy.

by Anonymousreply 5008/07/2013

R50, funny you say that 'cause his middle name was Byron.

by Anonymousreply 5108/07/2013

His sense of style and still photography.

by Anonymousreply 5208/07/2013

Dean had great hair!

by Anonymousreply 5308/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!