Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cher's new single

Okay I heard woman's world and the lyrics are all about being at the club and getting on the floor and what not. Umm Cher is 67..no matter how cool she thinks she is or hp - it is ridiculous to hear her sing those lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 3908/01/2013

I don't think age has anything to do with this. It's about a persona, and Cher has it. It made me think about Tina Turner who got married this week (why, Tina, WHY?? Unless one of you are dying?) Anyway. The Cher single is fine. No one's going to think it's about an older woman entering a club. It's Cher, everyone loves her, on that point everything should be OK. And let me say right now, I'm a Kathy Bates-Number One Fan of Cher (although not to the kidnapping extreme, of course. I'm sure she'd turn her nose up at thread-count on my sheets). Anyway, I like the song, but just don't hear it being played on the radio. And that's a big problem. Club hits are great and all that, but what are the results? Yoko Ono has had like 10 #1 Billboard club hits, but they don't sell. Anyway, as a huge fan, I hope the new album is a huge success. But doing an album of this kind of music again? I don't know. I think she should have gone back to the Bon Jovi-esque music she was doing in the late '80s. I think it could give her another hit. She's amazing though. She really soldiered through, all of these years. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 107/19/2013

[quote]I agree OP - a 67 year old singing about dancing on the club floor is ridiculous.

The song was a total flop - it peaked at #125 weeks ago and then disappeared.

She really needs to go back to a rock sound instead of this tired dance shit.

by Anonymousreply 207/19/2013

[quote] Anyway, I like the song, but just don't hear it being played on the radio. And that's a big problem.

Cher is sixty-fucking-seven years old. Of course it's not going to be played on the radio. When's the last time you heard an artist approaching 70 get mainstream radio airplay? That's right. NEVER.

[quote] I think she should have gone back to the Bon Jovi-esque music she was doing in the late '80s. I think it could give her another hit.

She's sixty-fucking-seven years old. She'll never have another Top 40 hit, no matter what style or genre she tries.

by Anonymousreply 307/19/2013

George Burns had a top-40 hit when he was in his 80s! It could happen!

by Anonymousreply 407/19/2013

And ... not radio, but Tony Bennett had a big MTV hit in the early 90s with something, "Stepping Out" maybe? He had to be in his 70s then.

by Anonymousreply 507/19/2013

"When's the last time you heard an artist approaching 70 get mainstream radio airplay?"

Although I understand your point entirely, maybe not Top 40 radio, but rock radio plays new stuff from Eric Clapton, the Stones, the Led Zeppelin reunion, etc. As for dance music, I'm sure you're right. Eartha Kitt had some dance hits in the 80s, but they weren't radio hits.

by Anonymousreply 607/19/2013

Cher can still get a hit. A number one? No. Thanks to iTunes though, it's easy to chart, and there's interest and demand for Cher now. Too bad she had to waste this opportunity and come out with such a horrible song. She released it a year ago, and now is just now promoting it as the album's first single. It doesn't even have a video yet. The song was old a long time ago, and the reaction was cold. Why would you make that the official first single a year later? It doesn't make sense. It makes as much sense as that ridiculous wig she sported on "The Voice."

by Anonymousreply 707/19/2013

I know that. Yes, I'm an old grandpa, you whippersnappers, but appealing to youth is the key to all of those things happening. But, come on, really, the "chart" hits were always dictated by young people. It was only in the short-lived, CD-buying craze of the early 90s that older artists had hits -- and they were only album hits. Not singles. I was shocked to find out recently that k.d. lang's "Constant Craving" only hit something line No. 35 on the Billboard charts in 1992. I heard it on the radio and on VH1 constantly. Not that she was old at the time. Quite the opposite. But her fanbase definitely skewed older.

by Anonymousreply 907/19/2013

Her age has nothing to do with it. "Believe" charted at #1 when Cher was in her mid 50's.

by Anonymousreply 1007/19/2013

R8 Exactly, so lack of radio play is really no excuse of it being a flop.

Look at the Dixie Chicks when they were banned from radio - their 2006 song "Not Ready to Make Nice" still went to #4 thanks to iTunes sales.

Cher's song flopped simply because it sucks. I hope she's not wasting time to make a video for it because this song is DOA and she needs to release something else.

by Anonymousreply 1107/19/2013

If it was a semi decent song, it could be big in Europe, where Believe was first a hit.

by Anonymousreply 1207/19/2013

I agree with R1. I think if Cher had some great material radio would play it. Another older female artist whose name I won't mention also has this kind of persona. With the right material I think they can chart. It's not like they're Barbara Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 1307/19/2013

Pox on you, R13! (kidding) Barbra Steisand is light years vocally beyond these other people we're talking about. True, she'll probably never have another chart hit again, but if you listen to her various hits CDs ... please. No one compares (in the pop arena, not opera) with her. She is the best female popular music vocalist I have ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 1407/19/2013

I never said these 2 ladies were great singers, only that, unlike Streisand, they have a persona that would be a good fit for radio with the right material.

by Anonymousreply 1507/19/2013

[quote] Her age has nothing to do with it. "Believe" charted at #1 when Cher was in her mid 50's.

And that was 14 years ago, in 1999. How many artists in their 50s or older have had #1 hits, or even Top 10 hits, in the past decade? Can you name any? When it comes to hit singles, age has everything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 1607/19/2013

While the song isn't her best, the biggest problem was the way they promoted it. As someone already said, the song leaked in November but they waited to officially release it and have her perform it in May/June? Very stupid idea. Even with that idiotic strategy, the song cracked the top 75 for 3 days following her performance on "The Voice". If they had only picked a brand new song to release and for her to perform, the response would have been bigger and she probably would have landed another hot 100 entry.

by Anonymousreply 1707/19/2013

She'll probably have a top ten album in the US. Had she come back with a "good" song, mind you that I didn't say "great," she could have really propelled the album into the top 5. When I listen to her in interviews for album promotion now, she doesn't even seem interested in it. She only did the album because she was forced to.

Did she ever not record an album for 12 years since she started her career?

by Anonymousreply 1807/19/2013

Song sucks. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 1907/19/2013

*I meant to say, the song cracked the top 75 on itunes for 3 days after her performance on The Voice.

by Anonymousreply 2007/19/2013

"Woman's World" was leaked last November. Chad Michaels, a professional Cher impersonator, has been using the song since. When it finally got released her audience already heard it. It was not fresh. I agree with the others that it's unlikely a singer 60+ years old would have a top ten Hot 100 hit because of age.

by Anonymousreply 2107/19/2013

hmm. she seemed awfully excited about the CD last fall when she was recording it. especially about the GaGa duet. she wouldn't shut up about that.

by Anonymousreply 2207/19/2013

R22 not sure if the Gaga collaboration is happening. I saw a recent Cher interview and she said something about the song is either not on the album or Gaga's part is not on the track because Gaga wasn't happy with how it sounded.

by Anonymousreply 2307/19/2013

well, that's too bad. Cher talked about it a LOT on twitter and her fans were frothing at the mouth about it. for it not to happen now would be a huge letdown.

by Anonymousreply 2407/19/2013

R23 Cher said Lady Gaga didn't like the song and requested it not be added to the album.

by Anonymousreply 2507/19/2013

The songs sucks and Cher can't dance. Send her to the old folks home and let us move on.

by Anonymousreply 2607/19/2013

I don't mind the William Orbit treatment or club sound - for me it came down to lyrics. If Cher got low at the club she would break a hip. Leave that to Ciara.

by Anonymousreply 2707/19/2013

Eartha Kitt had a gold record with Where is My Man at around 70.

by Anonymousreply 2807/19/2013

What are the Rolling Stones singing about these days?

by Anonymousreply 2907/19/2013

William Orbit treatment?

by Anonymousreply 3007/19/2013

I love Cher and hope her next single is better!

by Anonymousreply 3107/19/2013

[quote]The songs sucks and Cher can't dance.

I've always been amazed at how after all these years, she never learned to dance. All she does is tap her foot and snap her fingers. It's pathetic. She's no Tina Turner, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 3207/19/2013

Gloom and doom,R29.

by Anonymousreply 3307/19/2013

r30 -

the Orbit treatment. Aging popstar gets techno geek to freshen up her career, In this case Paul Oakenfeld and Cher.

by Anonymousreply 3407/19/2013

Shea used to move

by Anonymousreply 3507/19/2013

#1 on Billboard dance chart

by Anonymousreply 3607/26/2013

R36 Lets get real - that's the loser chart. It's not exactly hard to do well on that chart.

Lets talk the IMPORTANT chart - the Hot 100 Singles Chart: On that chart, her song didn't even chart and only reached #125. Embarrassing.

She needs to quickly choose a new single, make video for it, and promote it properly. You can't just release a mediocre song, never do a video for it, and just perform it on one show and expect it to do well.

by Anonymousreply 3707/26/2013

It's not her age...it's the song that stinks.

by Anonymousreply 3807/26/2013

Why does Cher keep wasting time promoting this shitty song? She was just at a gay club in LA a few days ago trying to promote this flop song. Why can't she just forget about this song and move onto a new single?

by Anonymousreply 3908/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.