Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #116: "CAROLINE O'CONNOR IN MASTER CLASS!" Edition

Caroline O'Connor in Master Class!

Barbara Streisand in St. Joan! (Find the "Nina"!)

Melanie Griffith as Cassie in "Chorus Line!"

Elaine Stritch in Pippin!

Brian Stokes Mitchell in Mame! Stephen Spinella as Vera!

Barbara Cook in Far From Heaven!

But, seriously, folks - Bette in Dolly! Jerry now says that's who he wants. Is Patti cursing his fickle soul? Yet another betrayal! And this after Woody "didn't see her" as Helen Sinclair!

How soon before Stephen Schwartz turns Trayvon Martin into an opera?

THE EDUCATION OF H*Y*M*A*N K*A*P*L*A*N!!! THE SELLING OF THE PRESIDENT! GOLDEN RAINBOW!

And next, Bob, we have a lovely contestant for you ,.,,

by Anonymousreply 60007/27/2013

Why is Steve Kazee having a breakdown over Cory Monteith?

by Anonymousreply 107/14/2013

Gotta laugh at the looney Administrators of ATC. They have deemed the death of Cory Montheith who has spent the last five years bringing Broadway show tunes to new generations is off limits. Only one of the reasons real Broadway community thinks ATC is a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 207/14/2013

Ann is the fucking joke over there. ATC's own Eva Peron.

(I hope that's ok for a theatre gossip site.)

by Anonymousreply 307/14/2013

Oh, OP, I'm so honored you used my "Caroline O'Connor in Master Class!" shriek in the last gasps of the previous theatre thread as inspiration for your title for this one. Mmmmm-WAH.

by Anonymousreply 407/14/2013

GOBLIN MARKET!

by Anonymousreply 507/14/2013

Tacky Trayvon Martin reference, OP.

Next!

by Anonymousreply 607/14/2013

R1, I think so he can name drop him and say he met him a few times.

by Anonymousreply 707/14/2013

More Bette in Dolly!!!!

by Anonymousreply 807/14/2013

Hey, R6, I believe that there's going to be a new opera at the Met based on the very sad story of the little boy in England who was murdered by two other little boys.

Trayvon Martin: The Opera isn't such a big stretch.

by Anonymousreply 907/14/2013

What is the Melanie Griffith as Cassie reference above about?

by Anonymousreply 1007/14/2013

Erm, R9? Link please. No one is going to produce an opera about the murder of 2 year-old James Bulger. You must be mad.

by Anonymousreply 1107/14/2013

The opera "Two Boys" opens at the Met in Oct. after an operatic debut in London. But, the story is somewhat different than R9 suggests, at least according to the Met's brief outline.

by Anonymousreply 1207/14/2013

Saw the Menier Merrily last week in the West End. Does anyone think it will transfer to NYC?

It's a problem show. The concept of the set was good, the execution of it terrible - it needed to be more open without a back wall. Because the Menier space is like a long rail car, the ensemble always does a lot of standing around in that space - that certainly doesn't work on a proscenium. The staging was very often unadventurous, which seemed strange for a musical.

I was surprised they cut the graduation bookends and The Hills of Tomorrow. The first act is so sour, full of unlikable characters at awkward moments of their lives, you'd think they would've kept the optimism of the graduation scene just to give it some levity and a purpose for dark survey of the character's lives that follows. It would've provided some much needed perspective.

The second act was better and allowed the performers a chance to show how layered their performances actually were. The standout was the actress who played Gussy. It started to pack an emotional punch during the Our Time rooftop scene and the production showed much promise but on the whole seemed more than a bit uncertain, happy to focus on a believable, intimate rendering of the triangle of friends while sacrificing a lot of opportunities to make this musical really sing.

by Anonymousreply 1307/14/2013

We can be thankful for one thing today: no one is asking if CRADLE WILL ROCK will transfer!

by Anonymousreply 1407/14/2013

r13 to answer your question...and based on your own comments....no, I would guess that the Menier Merrily will not transfer to Broadway. It sounds inept.

by Anonymousreply 1507/14/2013

As was the hideous CRADLE WILL ROCK.

by Anonymousreply 1607/14/2013

R13, you just described any production of Merrily. The graduation books ends are terrible, and should be cut.

The problem with any production, including the original play, is that the characters are horrible people. Actually, the original concept of having young people playing the roles was probably the correct choice. The problem was that the original costumes overwhelmed the actors; so, they went with the sweatshirt concept.

The second act isn't all that much better as the characters are pretty callow in youth.

by Anonymousreply 1707/14/2013

Are you sure about that, r14? It got pretty great reviews, even though it sucked.

by Anonymousreply 1807/14/2013

NOBODY LOVES YOU at the 2nd Stage is an ok musical, but really, why are all these non-profits doing musicals that have no chance of a life on Broadway and a limited appeal in regional.

The show is about 5 years too late with the reality dating series craze.

That said, when ROE HARTRAMPF takes off his shirt, HELLO! And why didn't his agent make him change his first name, let alone his last name.

And while Bryan Fenkart (another awful name) was fine in the lead, Adam Kantor would have been better (He did the premiere production).

by Anonymousreply 1907/14/2013

It got pretty good reviews because most of the critics had ever seen a production of it, and some probably knew nothing about its history until it came time to write about it.

by Anonymousreply 2007/15/2013

R19,

Bryan Fenkart was not quite fine as the lead in NOBODY LOVES YOU. He was barely passable. It's a problem when everyone supporting the lead character has twice as much charisma and talent. Fenkart also had the weakest voice in the show. Why isn't Adam Kantor reprising his role in NYC?

The show itself is funny and fast but almost instantly forgettable. And in that respect, it's perfect for summer.

by Anonymousreply 2107/15/2013

[quote] It got pretty good reviews because most of the critics had ever seen a production of it, and some probably knew nothing about its history until it came time to write about it.

Most London critics have seen a production of it - the Donmar staged it in 2000. Plus much of its recent history comes from the reworking of the show in Leicester.

by Anonymousreply 2207/15/2013

A shirtless Roe Hartrampf.

by Anonymousreply 2307/15/2013

Well R17, like I said, I don't think it's so much that all the characters in Merrily are horrible people so much as that the drama catches them all at less than flattering moments in their lives and is wearing on the audience.

But I mean, c'mon, it's not like it's Hitler and Goebbels and Braun. If anything, the ideas in Merrily overwhelm the slightly drawn characters and nothing in the musical matches or surpasses Sondheim's score.

I just kept thinking how ironic, odd and funny it must've been singing that Act 2 number, It's a Hit!, in the original production, say, around the 8th or 9th performance. Did anybody see it?

by Anonymousreply 2407/15/2013

R22, I think that's in reference to The Cradle Will Rock not Merrily.

by Anonymousreply 2507/15/2013

Maybe Bette could do a new TV movie version of Hello Dolly, like she did with Gypsy

by Anonymousreply 2607/15/2013

The TrayVeion Martin marchers were i n Times Square lastnight it was horrible trying to get around Saw lots of bodily slams and those knocked down. Anyone who attended shows had hard time getting home. I saw many scared tourists and it was frightful I wasnT sure id' make it home but I did subways were blocked, Martin marchers on the TKTS steps everywhere! At one point I thought it would pass

Maryann

by Anonymousreply 2707/15/2013

r1 he needs a hug - from another guy.

by Anonymousreply 2807/15/2013

R24, I saw it numerous times as I had several friends in the cast. (I even had a sweatshirt that said "audience"). To answer you question, yes, "Its a Hit" was bitter sweet. However, for many of these kids it was their first time on Broadway. For them it was a thrill to just have been part of the show.

by Anonymousreply 2907/15/2013

r29 - yes like the Special Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 3007/15/2013

Will Caroline O'Connor return to A Christmas Story?

by Anonymousreply 3107/15/2013

[quote]I saw it numerous times as I had several friends in the cast. (I even had a sweatshirt that said "audience"). To answer you question, yes, "Its a Hit" was bitter sweet. However, for many of these kids it was their first time on Broadway. For them it was a thrill to just have been part of the show.

Shared a glass of wine and some wonderful conversation two years ago when Ann Morrison was playing Norma Desmond in SUNSET BLVD. Nothing but happy memories from her regarding the original production of MERRILY. She also mentioned the cast reunion concert a few years back and the Encores! production as being highlights of her 'Merrily' experiences. Recording the cast album the day after the closing was hard... plus the company heard the news that Natalie Wood had drowned overnight. That also put a bit of a damper on the proceedings. Ms. Morrison is a lovely person and I am so glad I got the opportunity to meet her. Thanks WB!!!

by Anonymousreply 3207/15/2013

[quote]Saw the Menier Merrily last week in the West End. Does anyone think it will transfer to NYC?

Don't be ridiculous. It's a terrible show and ran originally for 16 performances for a reason. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sondheimites are insane and would follow the old coot into the bathroom and give him a standing ovation for simply doing his morning constitution.

by Anonymousreply 3307/15/2013

Was Mary Tyler Moore too ill to attend Bernadette Peters and Mary's Broadway Barks on Saturday? Sad if true.

by Anonymousreply 3407/15/2013

So kcguy, how was Ann Morrison in Sunset Boulevard?

by Anonymousreply 3507/15/2013

maybe MTM is the third death after Cory & Gandolfini

by Anonymousreply 3607/15/2013

Very good R35. I had seen Close, Buckley and Paige on Broadway and I would put her right up there with them. Chris Peluso was the writer. Sorry... brain freeze.. can't recall his name right now! Of course, the sets were no where as elaborate as the original B'way sets but they were nice. About 12 years ago I saw Morrison in ON A CLEAR DAY too.

by Anonymousreply 3707/15/2013

I disagree that the characters in "Merrily" are terrible people, and I think the graduation bookend stuff contributes a lot not just by reminding the audience of the character development (not good) of Mary, Frank, and Charlie, but also by giving an optimistic spin to what is, at times, a very pessimistic show.

I think during "Opening Doors" and "Our Time" you see who Mary, Frank, and Charlie started out to and wanted to be, and it wasn't the monsters they turned into at all. You have Mary seeing the deterioration of it all and their personalities in "Hey, Old Friend" (I'm not looking at the song list, so the titles might be wrong, but everyone knows what songs I mean). Even bitter, alcoholic Mary is vainly trying to get Frank to come down from the asshole tower.

"Opening Doors" is my favorite because they sound exactly like best friends out of college to me. And maybe that's why I love this musical and don't think it's either sucky or, in the end, totally misanthropic; because I see so clearly some of my friends and their ambitions and drive toward success, and I think it's a great musical because you can see yourself/college-made friends and what you were like when you believed you could do anything.

Or maybe I love it because I worked on it and, like all the shows I build sets for, stage-managed, hung lights for, ran lights for, co-directed or directed, or acted in, it became part of my own memories, and I'm projecting more meaning onto it than it has.

Lonny Price came to see our production, as did Daisy Prince.

by Anonymousreply 3807/15/2013

Will be in London in August - what shows should I see? Is Charlie worth seeing? I don't want to watch jukebox musical.

by Anonymousreply 3907/15/2013

I remember the Kennedy Center Merrily from about 12 years ago fondly. The direction of Chris Ashley was rather perfunctory, and now I wonder if the lack of "concept" actually helps what is a very delicate show.

The leads were Michael Hayden, Raul Esparza (my 1st time seeing him!) and Miriam Shor with DL fave Emily Skinner as Gussie and they were all good...Raul great. IIRC nothing was done to particularly youthen or age them in either direction, just some unfortunately ugly 1950s-1970s costumes.

by Anonymousreply 4007/15/2013

R23 well HELLO, Roe!

by Anonymousreply 4107/15/2013

Pic from the CAN CAN reading

by Anonymousreply 4207/15/2013

Thanks R42, good to know Megan is still attached to the show

by Anonymousreply 4307/15/2013

r39 I've been hearing good things about John Doyle's staging of The Color Purple.

The Sound of Music will be on, staged outdoors at Regents Park. Cattrall in Sweet Bird of Youth.

If Singin' in the Rain is still running check it out, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 4407/15/2013

Thanks, R44. I had wanted to see Headley but she is leaving the show shortly before I get there (would only see that show for her performance)

Curious now about the outdoors SOM.

As for Color Purple, I hated that show on Broadway and hate a lot of Doyle's productions just as much.

by Anonymousreply 4507/15/2013

[quote]Was Mary Tyler Moore too ill to attend Bernadette Peters and Mary's Broadway Barks on Saturday? Sad if true.

You do know she almost totally blind don't you? Maybe she just wasn't up to it.

by Anonymousreply 4607/15/2013

Thanks R46. I had heard that but was hoping it wasn't true. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 4707/15/2013

Has Roundabout finally stopped announcing that they are doing"Dancin'"?

Maybe they should do a reading of it?

by Anonymousreply 4807/15/2013

does Faith Prince have a husband?

by Anonymousreply 4907/15/2013

[r42]

I'm glad she's still involved. I don't see that Sean Hayes sitcom lasting longt

by Anonymousreply 5007/16/2013

Faith Prince's husband is a musician and rather good-looking. They have a son. They live in Sacramento,where her hubby is the music contractor for the Sacramento Music Circus (as was his dad before him).

by Anonymousreply 5107/16/2013

CAN CAN is such a piece of shit. I saw it with a decent supporting cast and Chita and it laid there like cat shit on linoleum.

by Anonymousreply 5207/16/2013

Lol, I love how this thread finally comes alive once DL Primetime ends.

by Anonymousreply 5307/16/2013

Both Neil Simon and Marian Seldes are not doing well. Difference is, we'll all miss Marian.

by Anonymousreply 5407/16/2013

R54 = Mary Tyler Moore

by Anonymousreply 5507/16/2013

Wouldn't a reading of a Dancin' be sort of retarded? And here's where that cool Fosse moment would be.

by Anonymousreply 5607/16/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 5707/16/2013

No, the characters in MERRILY aren't all that horrible, even by the standards of some musical comedies. But we don't get to see any of their good qualities until Act II. A reverse fall-from-grace is just not a very good idea, no matter how skilled your execution. We're so soured on the characters by intermission that we can't ever truly come around. "Opening Doors" and "Our Time" always work. Always. But after two hours and fifteen minutes of being force-fed curdled milk, it's not enough to salvage the evening.

R56, I think R48 was joking.

by Anonymousreply 5807/16/2013

OP-Your Trayvon Martin crack was somewhat offensive, but misspelling Barbra's name was really unforgiveable.

by Anonymousreply 5907/16/2013

Stop Press. Why has Matthew James Thomas given up his unnatural shoe polish black hair look for an equally unnatural sandy blond coiffure? I saw the show Sunday and almost didn't recognize him. And the day before he turned up kissing one of Bernadette's Broadway Barks dogs with a tasteful cherry red hairpiece. Is it all synthetic? He also has a decent Spiderman trained body, but it is so pasty that he really needs to get out in the sun.

by Anonymousreply 6007/16/2013

Joke all you want OP, but Caroline O'Connor probably will do Master Class at some point.

by Anonymousreply 6107/16/2013

"Wouldn't a reading of a Dancin' be sort of retarded?"

Oh, dear. Irony is dead.

by Anonymousreply 6207/16/2013

Finally saw the love letter-like documentary about Carol Channing, "Carol Channing: Larger than Life." Enjoyable up to a point. I guess I understand why only her hits ("Gentlemen Prefer Blonds" and "Hello, Dolly") were featured. Yet Channing did many more shows, including a year on the road in "Legends" with Mary Martin in the 1980s (in a role that only Martin thought Channing could do), that were never mentioned. Also, her son was filed under 'the show comes first.'

Channing's life was far more complicated than the film showed -- too bad so little of the complicated part was mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 6307/16/2013

How much money did the Alan Cummings masterbation fest Macbeth lose?

by Anonymousreply 6407/16/2013

The Channing documentary makes you go "bless her heart." She's surrounded by fucking sycophants, but it's nice to see that she still enjoys herself.

Isn't there a Stritch documentary? How's that one? Also, news on the HBO Sondheim doc? Were they interviewing people and doing a look at his entire life or were they following him over the course of something in particular?

by Anonymousreply 6507/16/2013

Not enough to keep people from forcing him on us in the future, I'll bet.

by Anonymousreply 6607/16/2013

R67, no, R66 does not sound like a jealous little queen, but you sure do.

Anyone with intelligence who saw that ridiculous vanity production of Macbeth would agree with R65 and R66.

Macbeth is a speedo? WTF? Someone has to tell Alan he is not the cute whimsical little twink anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6807/16/2013

Sorry, I meant R64 and r66.

by Anonymousreply 6907/16/2013

I'm surprised Cumming is up for a return stint in Cabaret. It didn't go well for Joel Grey (or Lansbury in Mame etc.)

by Anonymousreply 7007/16/2013

R70. But Carol made a 50 year-long career of dragging out her increasingly senile Dolly for the world.

by Anonymousreply 7107/16/2013

R68. Macbeth is a very short play, but it is NOT a speedo.

by Anonymousreply 7207/16/2013

[quote] I'm surprised Cumming is up for a return stint in Cabaret. It didn't go well for Joel Grey (or Lansbury in Mame etc.)

Why? I can't imagine he has a lot of other offers.

by Anonymousreply 7307/16/2013

If he does it, no one will care. He will have to play it naked (vomit) for any kind of shock effect that Cabaret had 20 years ago. He probably would rather play Sally.

by Anonymousreply 7407/16/2013

Who in NYC are seeing the NYMF shows...

I've only seen Saschquached.....it sucked

Looking forward to Castle Walk and The Hills Are Alive

by Anonymousreply 7507/16/2013

Saw HILLS ARE ALIVE in Fringe (last year?)...it was pretty bad. Hope it's improved.

by Anonymousreply 7607/16/2013

How come Kander & Ebb never turned "Funny Lady" into a stage musical? It has so many wonderful songs.

by Anonymousreply 7707/16/2013

I remember with great fondness Roe Hartrampf and his beautiful, slightly-above-average-sized penis from UNNATURAL ACTS.

by Anonymousreply 7807/16/2013

[quote] The Schizophrenia of the ATC ownership team: Members of site were forbidden by decree about discussing Cory Monteith's "tragic passing." Now the humorless Ann has joined a thread called "the show must go on," about how the need for performers to appear despite their personal sorrow often helps them get through the grieving process. Go figure. A laughingstock.

It's a mean spirited Republican site.

by Anonymousreply 8007/16/2013

r79

Go tell it on the mountain.

by Anonymousreply 8107/16/2013

Corey Cott managed to escape the curse of BWW photography at Broadway Barks. What's his story.

by Anonymousreply 8207/16/2013

R82. No one ever truly "escapes" BWW photography. And what's with BBW's need to show 22 pictures of one performer over and over again in one of their treasured photo essays. One, two pix would do. Don't they know that less is more?

by Anonymousreply 8307/16/2013

[quote] How come Kander & Ebb never turned "Funny Lady" into a stage musical? It has so many wonderful songs.

Because the book would have even less structure than the one for Funny Girl. Seriously, I've seen Funny Lady about 4 times and I still don't think I could recount the plot.

by Anonymousreply 8407/16/2013

Is it really easier to get a ticket for PIPPIN than Kinky ? Geez.

by Anonymousreply 8507/16/2013

Also wondered about Pippin's lack of stellar success as compared to Kinky Boots. What's the explanation?

by Anonymousreply 8607/16/2013

Richard Jay is at it again. Word from The Muny is that he had a massive hissy fit during the final rehearsal. He stopped the show and began screaming at the crew. They threatened to walk if he didn't shut up. Ah, the memories...

by Anonymousreply 8707/16/2013

Richard Jay called the local St. Louis stage crew a bunch of idiots who couldn't train a dog to take a crap outdoors. Drama in Forest Park. They all hate him.

by Anonymousreply 8807/16/2013

"The nation is having our biannual big conversation about race. I think we should join in here. Let's talk about being black on Broadway." - From ATC

They're really just the worst conservative, non-talented, taste free group of cranky old white people ever, right?

by Anonymousreply 8907/16/2013

If those photos on BWW of the Muny Les Miz are any indication of the quality of the production, Richard Jay had every right to his hissy fit.

by Anonymousreply 9007/16/2013

Are they the ones that just did Shrek that looked like a senior citizens theater group put it on. Shrek was the gay nurse from Nurse Jackie and his green make-up melted the first five minutes in the outdoor heat. There was a video but it was so bad they pulled it.

by Anonymousreply 9107/16/2013

R38, the "graduation bookend stuff" has been cut and isn't in the current London production of Merrily...

The HBO Sondheim doc features "I'm Still Here" directed by Todd Haynes. A friend of mine was an extra in it when they shot it last year. It's set in a jazz club in the 1960s, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 9207/17/2013

THE PIRATES OF FINANCE at NYMF is really a lot of fun, and beautifully directed. And OH, those voices!

by Anonymousreply 9307/17/2013

[quote]Are they the ones that just did Shrek that looked like a senior citizens theater group put it on. Shrek was the gay nurse from Nurse Jackie and his green make-up melted the first five minutes in the outdoor heat. There was a video but it was so bad they pulled it.

Yes, that was the Muny production with the nurse from NURSE JACKIE and Julia Murney. I didn't see it. Not a fan of that show but I agree, it looked awful. However the Muny's production of SOUTH PACIFIC with Laura Michelle Kelly, Ben Davis, Josh Young last week was superb. One of the best productions of that show I have seen.

by Anonymousreply 9407/17/2013

Ann Miner IS Cheryl!

IN

"STINKY PUSSY"

from the creative team that brought you

"KINKY BOOTS"

by Anonymousreply 9507/17/2013

More guys taking off their shirts. This is summer and it is HOT!

by Anonymousreply 9607/17/2013

Did Richard Jay yell at Barbara Streisand and her crew when he directed her concert?

by Anonymousreply 9707/17/2013

No one yells at Streisand. No one.

Except for her mother.

by Anonymousreply 9807/17/2013

Not even Jason?

by Anonymousreply 9907/17/2013

Good question why it's relatively easier to get tickets for Pippin, but not Kinky Boots, especially when the Music Box has roughly 400 less seats than the Hirschfeld. And we just thought drag musicals were finished after the disappointment that was Priscilla.

by Anonymousreply 10007/17/2013

r97 - Barbra directs her own shows and Richard acts as a consultant.

by Anonymousreply 10107/17/2013

Wow, I am really surprised about Pippin not being a big seller.

by Anonymousreply 10207/17/2013

Richard Jay has moved on from Streisand to Chenoweth.

by Anonymousreply 10307/17/2013

What's all this talk about PIPPIN not selling? IT was at 101.2% capacity last week!

by Anonymousreply 10407/17/2013

I heard on Christine Pedi's show the other day that DL fave Jackée is going into "Newsies" later this year.

by Anonymousreply 10507/17/2013

JLY may play Valli again, this time for Eastwood:

by Anonymousreply 10607/17/2013

no r105 she's going into Newsical not Newsies big difference

by Anonymousreply 10707/17/2013

R107 Not what I heard. PEDI is going into Newsical; Jackée, Newsies.

by Anonymousreply 10807/17/2013

VIOLET had a great reception at City Center tonight, but it was totally undeserved. They were more happy to have Sutton Foster back on stage, and not for thiepoor acoustic miking, rather stick figure characters (except for the title character) and an unnecessary gospel choir.

At least they weren't in suits like in THE CRADLE WILL ROCK.

No high hopes for TAKING MY ACT ON THE ROAD.

by Anonymousreply 10907/17/2013

Pippin was listed at the Half Price Booth (TKTS) at many performances last week, albeit for only 20% off. That tells me they're having at least some difficulty filling the theater. Sorry, Fran.

by Anonymousreply 11007/17/2013

JLY will get to recreate his role in the movie of Jersey Boys? I was hoping for Matt Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 11107/17/2013

r108 they're both doing Newsical

by Anonymousreply 11207/17/2013

Summer ENCORES sounds like the worst idea ever.

I love musical theater. But I love me more.

by Anonymousreply 11307/17/2013

Aaron Tveit was on Wendy Williams' show this morning. He said he lives in Queens and has a girlfriend. Cute guy.

by Anonymousreply 11407/17/2013

Re: Pippin-Most of the tickets available are on the high end, and I think those are going to tkts. Most of the cheapest ones are sold out. I'm debating if it is worth the money for a full price tickets.

At Broadway Barks, Bernadette said Mary Tyler Moore broke her shoulder. Take it for what's it's worth. I've been to the event the past few years, and my heart always goes out to Mary. She seemed to struggle getting through the presentation.

by Anonymousreply 11507/17/2013

"R79, Go tell it on the mountain."

Better yet, R79: Go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 11607/18/2013

Such a boring thread!

by Anonymousreply 11707/18/2013

Violet is and always was a giant pie of shit.

by Anonymousreply 11807/18/2013

VIOLET was fine. Sutton Foster is amazing. Josh Henry stopped the show cold. Is he gay?

by Anonymousreply 11907/18/2013

r94, how was Former Fattie Josh Young's torso? Rock hard and chiseled?

by Anonymousreply 12007/18/2013

Saw preview of "First Date" tonight...audience seemed fully papered and they loved it. Cute enough, but why is this on Broadway? If you want to see it, better do it fast, as it won't last.

by Anonymousreply 12107/18/2013

First Date is so odd. Who is funding this strange production?

by Anonymousreply 12207/18/2013

[quote]No one yells at Streisand. No one. Except for her mother.

Surely Jim Brolin does it now and again? Living with that harridan Babs would make anyone want to yell.

by Anonymousreply 12307/18/2013

Is Roe Hartrampf gay? What about Heath Calvert? Both have BDF.

by Anonymousreply 12407/18/2013

Trying to keep up, but is Encores doing Violet or Getting My Act Together right now?

by Anonymousreply 12507/18/2013

Violet right now. Sutfo for the queens.

It's really a terrible first season, choice wise. (I mean, the new Encores Off-Broadway thing)

by Anonymousreply 12607/18/2013

So who's been seeing the NYMF shows

What's the low down?

by Anonymousreply 12707/18/2013

The story line of Jersey Boys begins in the 1950s and ends in 2001.

Will they age the boys for the film or cast two sets of actors?

by Anonymousreply 12807/18/2013

Not bad R120... but Liat was standing in front of him so I didn't really get a very good look. He does look like he has been working out. I saw him backstage after the show. He was wearing burnt orange colored cargo shorts, a blue tee and a navy blazer. Not sure why the blazer. It wasn't cold but it is summer. Oh, and flip flopped feets... nice hairy well shaped legs. The most arractive thing about Young is that he cut his hair. Got rid of those curls. Looked pretty good with a short hair cut. I heard he is playing Che or the narrator (whatever they call it now) in the upcoming EVITA tour.

by Anonymousreply 12907/18/2013

R111- Bomer has "White Collar" to do, then he has to lose 30 lbs. before November so he can film all his scenes as Mark Ruffalo's dying lover in "The Normal Heart".

by Anonymousreply 13007/18/2013

great typo r118 pie of shit instead of pile of shit

by Anonymousreply 13107/18/2013

and how is JLY going to play Frankie at 16 or whatever he is at the top of the story? maybe they can use the same CGI magic for Babs's Rose

by Anonymousreply 13207/18/2013

pie or pile. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 13307/18/2013

Will NYMF finally shut its doors now that this season has produced one heaving, embarrassing pile of dung after the other.

by Anonymousreply 13407/18/2013

Hey 134. Explain!!

by Anonymousreply 13507/18/2013

Why is First Date going to close so fast, r121?

by Anonymousreply 13607/18/2013

R134: Not as long as they keep sucking up that corporate funding.

by Anonymousreply 13707/18/2013

Matt Bomer is way too tall to play Frankie Valli at any age. And he ain't got the high notes.

by Anonymousreply 13807/18/2013

VIOLET at Encores was terrific. One of the best events I've seen in years, because it was totally unexpected. The entire cast was outstanding. Wish they would do it again.

imho

by Anonymousreply 13907/18/2013

[quote] So who's been seeing the NYMF shows What's the low down?

The low down is that they all really suck. I've yet to hear one person say something good about them. And a number of them are being papered heavily which I don't recall them being in past.

It's sad, but it was good while it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 14007/18/2013

Maybe the real Four Seasons will play themselves at the end of the film?

by Anonymousreply 14107/18/2013

I keep getting offers for Soul Doctor, but don't know what the hell it's about. Should I bother even finding out? What the hell is Soul Doctor? Soul Doctor Soul Doctor What the hell is Soul Doctor Soul Doctor Soul Soul

by Anonymousreply 14207/18/2013

With 2 of them dead that would be a film I would see for sure R141!!

by Anonymousreply 14307/18/2013

Apologies on behalf of my stroke-addled computer.

by Anonymousreply 14407/18/2013

[quote]With 2 of them dead that would be a film I would see for sure

Music and The Four Seasons and zombies--Coming up!

by Anonymousreply 14507/18/2013

Heath Calvert is straight, r124. But I too would like to know about the orientation of Roe Hartrampf and his slightly-above-average-sized penis.

by Anonymousreply 14607/18/2013

Thanks for the report, r129! I love that Former-Fattie-Turned-Hottie Josh was wearing a blazer but still insisted on combining it with flip-flops; that clearly shows that he's a slutty exhibitionist determined to expose his feets to the lustful eyes of the world.

Were his feets hairy?

by Anonymousreply 14707/18/2013

[quote] But I too would like to know about the orientation of Roe Hartrampf and his slightly-above-average-sized penis.

And pictures of this sizemeat would be ideal.

by Anonymousreply 14807/18/2013

Gotta say, I know he got a Tony mom and all, but the Josh Young attention is a mystery to me. He seems like an average musical theatre grad who got lucky with JCS, nothing special. And especially since, whatever you thought of the show, the guy playing Jesus was seriously ripped.

by Anonymousreply 14907/18/2013

R149, ALW is no longer just "Sir Andrew". He's Baron Lloyd Webber of Sydmonton now.

by Anonymousreply 15007/18/2013

[quote] And especially since, whatever you thought of the show, the guy playing Jesus was seriously ripped.

Who? Where?

Photos?

by Anonymousreply 15107/18/2013

For R151: This is the best I could find in a hurry.

by Anonymousreply 15207/18/2013

I agree

Never have understood the Josh Young appeal

Fine singer, ok actor...meh

There's loads of others out there just as talented.

Just goes to show ya....

10% talent all the rest is being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people

by Anonymousreply 15307/18/2013

Josh Young's buzz comes from being a former fattie. He gives obese America hope.

by Anonymousreply 15407/18/2013

What Josh Young buzz? He played Cable at the Muny. And he has a few "fans" here.

That's not buzz.

by Anonymousreply 15507/18/2013

r155, Josh Young is a source of powerful inspiration to all who dream of turning from a blubbery tub of lard into a slim, trim, sexy, flip-flopped Broadway superstar.

by Anonymousreply 15607/18/2013

LOL R156. I thought he looked awful in J.C. SUPERSTAR. That powder blue satin jump suit did him no favors.

by Anonymousreply 15707/18/2013

Jesus was played by the beautiful Paul Nolan,who has graced the Stratford audiences with his bare ass in two productions. It's spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 15807/18/2013

Sure enough, the reviews are talking about a "Violet" move.

But it's such a crappy show!

by Anonymousreply 16007/19/2013

I saw "Violet" when it premiered at Playwrights Horizons many years ago.

It's okay. It's sweet.

It felt like a show that had potential to burn: in the cast and in the writing team.

I wonder if Sutton Foster has managed to elevate the proceedings...

by Anonymousreply 16107/19/2013

[quote]I wonder if Sutton Foster has managed to elevate the proceedings...

More like degrade them.

by Anonymousreply 16207/19/2013

2 well-sung numbers does not a show make. Sutton and Joshua's songs stopped the show with their long crazy-fan applause, but the show meanders and doesn't really go anywhere until she reaches her destination.

I didn't believe the love (or the lust) story at all. First they put each other down and then they're in love. I guess they didn't teach transition in musical theater class.

by Anonymousreply 16307/19/2013

R163. "First they put each other down and then they're in love." Hmm. Sure sounds a lot like Beatrice and Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing. That Shakespeare fella sure knew a thing or two.

by Anonymousreply 16407/19/2013

Yeah, only on this thread would people talk about Josh Young like he's Henry Cavill.

That said, he's still the best Henrik I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 16507/19/2013

If Tesori wrote like Shakespeare, it would have been Caroline, or A Pound a Flesh.

by Anonymousreply 16607/19/2013

R150 = Maxwell Sheffield

by Anonymousreply 16707/19/2013

r52, a little late to the party here but here's a gold star for "cat shit on linoleum."

by Anonymousreply 16807/19/2013

Violet sounds like it has solid artistic foundations but the premise--a teenage cracker who finds redemption through statutory rape--is pretty damn repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 16907/19/2013

PIPPIN bootleg is awesome...... crystal clear.

by Anonymousreply 17007/19/2013

Am I the only one who hates Patina Miller's voice? That nasal tone!

by Anonymousreply 17107/19/2013

Next week is BROADWAY WEEK on the Kelly AND Michael SHOW!

Monday is Pippin!

Michael joins the cast of KINKY BOOTS!

Kelly joins the cast of CINDERELLA

by Anonymousreply 17207/19/2013

r171 I think Patina had to do that nasal sound to hit the notes in those wacky keys for a woman. She did NOT sound like that in HAIR in the park or SISTER ACT

by Anonymousreply 17307/19/2013

^ I've never heard of this show and I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 17407/19/2013

Nope. I got blasted here for suggesting Osnes sings exponentially better than Miller.

I should have qualified it with, "I think......". Bitches here are ruthless (which is cool).

by Anonymousreply 17507/19/2013

Could the gorgeous Orien Griffiths have a chance at movie stardom as an action hero from the exposure he's received from Pippin?

by Anonymousreply 17607/19/2013

Well, if Kellan Lutz is a movie star, then yes.

by Anonymousreply 17707/19/2013

It's Orion, R176. Like the constellation. I think he could have a shot at movie stardom, but he has a very thick Brit accent, and it's hard to tell if he can act or not based on what we get to see him do in PIPPIN.

by Anonymousreply 17807/19/2013

Orion can be muscular and silly, but can he ct at all? What happens when opens his mouth...

by Anonymousreply 17907/19/2013

[quote]Am I the only one who hates Patina Miller's voice? That nasal tone!

She's fabulous, baby!

by Anonymousreply 18007/19/2013

r142, I'd rather read your post over and over for three hours than sit through Soul Doctor (Soul Soul Doctor Doctor Soul Doctor Soul Doctor Soul Soul Doctor...)

by Anonymousreply 18107/19/2013

"Violet" is a beautiful show. Sorry I missed the Encore production, the original and another production I saw were both terrific.

by Anonymousreply 18207/19/2013

r181: thanks for your forebearance.

"Shlomo" really doesn't sing, does it?

by Anonymousreply 18307/19/2013

How about "Schlong-mo!"?

by Anonymousreply 18407/19/2013

Exactly, R165. Congratulations to Mr. Young for being fat-no-more, but I would've rather had Jesus' glorious glutea on my face any day. Or...pick any number of chorus boys currently working or not on Broadway, rather than him.

by Anonymousreply 18507/19/2013

Gird Your Loins! Miss Debra Messing coming to Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 18607/19/2013

Oh no- Irish music underscoring. Is Debbie working on her brogue?

by Anonymousreply 18707/19/2013

Is Emma Thompson's screenplay for Annie really based on John Huston's screenplay, or did Playbill fuck up the article?

by Anonymousreply 18807/19/2013

Will Deb's Irish accent be as entertaining as Holly Hunter's?

by Anonymousreply 18907/19/2013

[quote]Miss Debra Messing coming to Broadway!

People On Streets.

by Anonymousreply 19007/19/2013

Is everyone as excited as me at the news of John Lloyd Young being cast as Frankie for the movie of JERSEY BOYS? I love a good showbusiness comeback story. After winning the Tony, he failed to get another Broadway show and nothing became of him in Hollywood short of an episode of GLEE and a movie that hardly anyone saw. He was perceived as having blown his chance. But then he went back to JB on Bway so at least he had a job and NOW, he's going to star in a major motion picture! And the Academy loves musicals. I think he has a genuine shot at the Oscar. I'm sooo sooo happy for him! Go JLY!

by Anonymousreply 19107/19/2013

And ADORABLE Erich Bergen, who played Bob Gaudio in the First Nat'l and Vegas companies of Jersey Boys has been cast as Bob Gaudio.

He doesn't look remotely Italian but he does resemble a younger Gaudio after the inevitable nose job.

I do fear that the film will create none of the theatricality of the show and will wind up as a mildly entertaining episode of Biography with fab music for the Boomers. But maybe that's enough these days.

by Anonymousreply 19207/19/2013

[quote]Is everyone as excited as me at the news of John Lloyd Young being cast as Frankie for the movie of JERSEY BOYS?

But how will he handle his commitments as a member of the much in demand group, The Aca-Fellas?

by Anonymousreply 19307/19/2013

And Lea Michelle gave him up for Cory!

by Anonymousreply 19407/19/2013

Happy 87th Birthday to Broadway Baby Helen Gallagher!

Now there was a talent in search of a hit show. Well, she had one.

by Anonymousreply 19507/19/2013

Not too sound all 'mlopian' here but... I was a kid, I saw Helen Gallagher play Ado Annie in a production of OKLAHOMA! Dorothy Collins was Laurey. A few years later, I saw Gallagher play Nickie in SWEET CHARITY on Broadway. I bet she was a spectacular Charity when she took over for Gwen Verdon. Happy Birthday indeed to a real Broadway baby!

by Anonymousreply 19607/19/2013

I saw Helen Gallagher in a weirdly entertaining off-Broadway flop musical "Tallulah!". I can remember it clearly after seeing it once over 25 years ago! Helen was great!

by Anonymousreply 19707/19/2013

Well, in the early 70s I saw Helen Gallagher in a musical revue with Barbara Cook and Harold Lang. Can't remember the context of the revue or what summer theater it was at but all 3 were spectacular.

This was just a year or two before Cook's big comeback.

by Anonymousreply 19807/19/2013

You're describing "The Gershwin Years," r198, and it became legendary because of the cast, and because it led Cook directly to her cabaret/concert career. (In fact, I think that's where she met Wally Harper).

by Anonymousreply 19907/19/2013

Ah, thank you r199! That was it! I'll have to dig out my program and look for more details.

by Anonymousreply 20007/19/2013

I did a play with Helen Gallagher, well almost did a play with her. She pulled out during rehearsals. Apparently, it wasn't the first time. She allegedly suffered from stage fright. On the other hand, it could have been acting with Elizabeth Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 20107/19/2013

Remember that there was an ex-gay movement catering to Broadway stars who had been "cured." Wasn't JLY supposedly one of them? I never got the appeal either, gay or straight or ex-gay.

by Anonymousreply 20207/20/2013

MTC is really the place where former sitcom stars go to do Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 20307/20/2013

JLY's girlfriend for quite a while was that fat, older casting director from Papermill. Can't even remember her name.

by Anonymousreply 20407/20/2013

"And the Academy loves musicals. I think he has a genuine shot at the Oscar."

I don't think Frankie Valli in JERSEY BOYS is a weighty enough role to win Best Actor. Catherine Zeta-Jones and Jennifer Hudson benefited from the fact that their roles, which had been classified as Leading on Broadway, could just get away with being plausibly demoted to Supporting, but you can't very well have Frankie Valli compete in the Supporting Actor category.

by Anonymousreply 20507/20/2013

[quote]NOW, he's going to star in a major motion picture! And the Academy loves musicals. I think he has a genuine shot at the Oscar. I'm sooo sooo happy for him! Go JLY!

Wow...just wow.

by Anonymousreply 20607/20/2013

Anyone in the Minneapolis area see Pride and Prejudice with Mad Men's Vincent Cartheiser as Mr. Darcy? Is that production headed to Broadway? Any other big (or TV) names in the cast?

by Anonymousreply 20707/20/2013

[quote]Remember that there was an ex-gay movement catering to Broadway stars who had been "cured." Wasn't JLY supposedly one of them? I never got the appeal either, gay or straight or ex-gay.

There was supposed to be a documentary all about this featuring 20 actors on Broadway but it disappeared. It was called "Gay No More" but IMBD now has it featuring only four people, not actors.

by Anonymousreply 20807/20/2013

Here's the trailer to the ex-gay documentary. And yes, they're all big Marys.

I think one of them is a playwright who ended up in the documentary This Is What Love In Action Looks Like, where he basically said the whole ex-gay thing was harmful and a complete waste of time and money.

by Anonymousreply 20907/20/2013

I'm astounded that anyone would hire that pathetic old coot we saw last year talking to an empty chair at the Republican national convention to direct a major motion picture.

by Anonymousreply 21007/20/2013

I remember seeing Helen Gallagher behind a bar, pouring drinks and dispensing advice to bratty children.

by Anonymousreply 21107/20/2013

[quote]but I would've rather had Jesus' glorious glutea on my face any day.

Mmmm, yes! Yes! That is so hot! That's exactly what I was...oh, wait. Are you talking about the actor who played Him?

by Anonymousreply 21207/20/2013

Love you, R211

by Anonymousreply 21307/20/2013

Did anyone see that concert From Broadway With Love on WLIW/Ch 21 in the NY area Thursday night? It was a benefit for Sandy Hook Elementary. Some of it was very good. I liked Nikki Blonsky performing "Good Morning, Baltimore" and Brian Stokes Mitchell singing "The Impossible Dream." Could have done without Frank Wildhorn and Linda Eder, though.

by Anonymousreply 21407/20/2013

John Lloyd Young will have about as much chance for an Oscar nomination (forget winning a statuette) as Taylor Lautner has in anything he does.

by Anonymousreply 21507/20/2013

Ahem!

by Anonymousreply 21607/20/2013

Dorothy Louden was totally miscast in the musical Annie as Miss Asthma.

Charlotte Rae would have been a much better choice.

After all, look how well she played a housemother on Facts of Life

by Anonymousreply 21707/20/2013

Ironically, R217, Loudon also played a housemother on the sitcom flop Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 21807/20/2013

R218 she played a Drama teacher

by Anonymousreply 22007/20/2013

[quote]John Lloyd Young will have about as much chance for an Oscar nomination (forget winning a statuette) as Taylor Lautner has in anything he does.

I'm no JLY troll but I guess it's not impossible -- if the film is really well received by critics -- that he could be recognized. I say this only because the Academy has such great respect for just about anything Eastwood does and has rewarded his actors (if not him) so handsomely in the past, maybe it would give JLY some kind of outside shot. (But I'm only talking nomination here; winning would be another matter entirely.)

by Anonymousreply 22207/20/2013

Eastwood directed pics have earned thirty one Academy Award nominations including ten acting nominations with five acting wins. Regardless of what you think of his politics, the man knows how to make a picture.

by Anonymousreply 22307/21/2013

Thanks, Miss Crawford at r223.

by Anonymousreply 22407/21/2013

Chorus boys who bles their ways to directing careers!!! List!!!

Rob Marshall

Scott Ellis

Rob Ashford (if you call what he does directing)

by Anonymousreply 22507/21/2013

Those were all like 10 years ago r223...lately...meh.

by Anonymousreply 22607/21/2013

omg I meant blew^^^^ I need to go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 22707/21/2013

Wake up, girls! No Prime time at the moment!!! Did anyone get to see Faith Prince destroy Miss Hannigan yet? I know the Dorothy Loudon widowers won't tolerate anyone else touching her territory, but Faith could actually be good in the part, especially now that she's looking more and more like Christine Quinn.

by Anonymousreply 22807/21/2013

r201 what play was it? Honestly, I would put my money on Helen in a Gallagher/Ashley cage match.

Helen would have set the tone day one and Elizabeth would have behaved.

by Anonymousreply 22907/21/2013

As I said before Charlotte Rae would have been a much better Miss Asthma than Dot Louden in Annie.

Her later work on Facts of Life says it all.

by Anonymousreply 23007/21/2013

Merv Griffin used to tell how Helen Gallagher kicked an actor into the orchestra pit for upstaging her.

by Anonymousreply 23107/21/2013

Yes! Please let us know how was Faith Prince's performance as Miss Hannigan!

by Anonymousreply 23207/21/2013

sr225 - would such a list include Jerry Mitchell?

by Anonymousreply 23307/21/2013

choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler

who is his bf?

by Anonymousreply 23407/21/2013

Hoping lightning strikes twice, Clint will cast Hilary Swank as Frankie Valli.

by Anonymousreply 23507/21/2013

[quote]Those were all like 10 years ago [R223]...lately...meh.

Wrong, but thanks for playing.

"Invictus" was released Dec 2009 and Academy Award nominations were announced February 2, 2010. It was nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role Morgan Freeman & Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role Matt Damon.

by Anonymousreply 23607/21/2013

R225: You forgot Scott Elliott.

by Anonymousreply 23707/21/2013

Jim Newman... who is fucking him?

by Anonymousreply 23807/21/2013

I LOVE Jim Newman's ass. So round , so full!!

by Anonymousreply 23907/21/2013

Jim Newman:

by Anonymousreply 24007/21/2013

Christopher Gattelli, and Sergio Trujillo are also both former chorus boys who direct.

One is very nice but not so talented. The other is just the opposite.

And John Carrafa. WEHT?

And of course, there's Tommy Tune. Saw him in the chorus of my first Broadway show, Baker Street (alongside Christopher Walken).

by Anonymousreply 24107/21/2013

[quote]And of course, there's Tommy Tune. Saw him in the chorus of my first Broadway show, Baker Street (alongside Christopher Walken

Me too, although it was the third or fourth Broadway show I saw that week. FUNNY GIRL with Barbra was my first.

by Anonymousreply 24207/21/2013

Speaking of Barbara, did anyone see her play Fanny in stock? Did she wear putty on her nose?

by Anonymousreply 24307/21/2013

Barbara Cook's Fanny.

It's huge. What else is there to say about it?

by Anonymousreply 24407/21/2013

Rory o malley of liver transplant fame is getting married.

by Anonymousreply 24507/21/2013

Barbara Cook's Fanny was a completely different show in London.

by Anonymousreply 24607/21/2013

What's Gattelli's story? Anyone know/had him?

by Anonymousreply 24707/21/2013

Christopher Gattelli, and Sergio Trujillo are also both former chorus boys who direct.

Yeah, but I don't think Sergio blew anyone to get there. More like fucked the shit out of somebody, power top that he is.

by Anonymousreply 24807/21/2013

r238 - it used to be Barry Austin

by Anonymousreply 24907/21/2013

THIS JUST IN- Mike Doyle has settled his whorish ass down in a cozy relationship with Andrew Rannells. We should be demanding videos!!!!

by Anonymousreply 25007/21/2013

Ashford was as boring as a chorus boy as he is a director. No charisma. But somehow he got and gets work. Gatelli- sweet and talented.

by Anonymousreply 25107/21/2013

Barbara Cook is actually a TWO Fanny gal in summer stock! Both Brice and the title character in Harold Rome's musical.

It's interesting what parts Cook did to pay the bills between Broadway gigs.

by Anonymousreply 25207/21/2013

I don't need to see either of Barbara Cook's two Fannys, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 25307/22/2013

Mike Doyle or Matt Doyle? Mike Doule has been in a longtern relationship with child. Matt Doyle was Juliet,

by Anonymousreply 25407/22/2013

R254. Get some coffee and try again!

by Anonymousreply 25507/22/2013

Mike Doyle is with child? When's he due?

by Anonymousreply 25607/22/2013

Holy crap! Roger Bart and his big cock are 50!!!

I wonder if that big ol' thing is still able to fill with blood at his advanced age?

by Anonymousreply 25707/22/2013

If Roger's cock is as big as his ego, he probably can't leave the house to pick up tricks anymore.

by Anonymousreply 25807/22/2013

Does anyone know the real cause of death of publicist Miller Wright? None of his famous clients are talking about it, "out of respect to the family". That's usually a sign of something odd or revelatory.

by Anonymousreply 25907/22/2013

Can we get back to Charlotte Rae. She would have been better as Miss Hannigan than Dorothy Louden.

She later played that type of character on Facts of Life

by Anonymousreply 26007/22/2013

Andy Blankenbuehler from So You Think You Can Dance & In The Heights

Who's his bf?

If this video doesn't ping off the charts, I don't know what does.

by Anonymousreply 26107/22/2013

Charlotte Rae is like five foot zero. She would have made the little girls look too big.

That was one of the reasons Joanna Pacitti got fired from the revival in the mid-1990's. She had a growth spurt, and was nearly as tall as Nell Carter.

by Anonymousreply 26207/22/2013

So, while Harvey is calling for a boycott of an entire country, an announcement is about to be made about his new play, about a resort for heterosexual couples, where the husbands are all transvestites. It's based on a real place in the 1950s that catered to cross dressing men and their wives. No director signed on yet.

by Anonymousreply 26307/22/2013

Blakenbueler is marred with two kids and totally straight.

by Anonymousreply 26407/22/2013

[quote] Charlotte Rae is like five foot zero. She would have made the little girls look too big.

That didn't stop NBC from casting her on Facts of Life

[quote] Blakenbueler is marred with two kids and totally straight.

You have seen the video right R264

Wonder if Rob Ashford ever made a pass at Blakenbueler. Weren't they in the chorus in some show together?

by Anonymousreply 26507/22/2013

Ashford has made a pass at every chorus boy he's ever hired. Usually before they've been hired.

by Anonymousreply 26607/22/2013

So has Rob Ashford and Andy Blankenbuehler fooled around while as chorus boys in the 1980s?

by Anonymousreply 26707/22/2013

r199, The Gershwin Years also starred Nancy Dussault. I saw it in on tour in Michigan because I knew Harold Lang; I taught with him for a few years in California. He said that Dussault and Gallagher hated Cook because it took the two of them to out sing her on stage. Gallagher was a bit of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 26807/22/2013

To the person who keeps insisting that Charlotte Rae's work on the Facts of Life would have made her a natural fit to play Miss Hannigan.... Have you ever seen these shows? The characters aren't even remotely alike other than the fact that they both supervise young girls.

by Anonymousreply 26907/22/2013

Has Babs given any sort of indication that she knows Buyer and Cellar exists? I'd imagine as it's popularity keeps growing it'll be hard to keep ignoring. Wondering if she's snuck in yet like she supposedly did for Bette's show.

by Anonymousreply 27007/22/2013

R269 Charlotte Rae would have brought much more of a humanity to the part. Just like she did with Mrs. Garrett.

Dorothy Louden played the part way too broadly, almost like a cartoon character.

Charlotte Rae would have kept it real.

by Anonymousreply 27107/22/2013

Can't imagine she'd be able to sneak in anywhere unnoticed. Bet she saw a bootleg, though.

by Anonymousreply 27207/22/2013

R271, Miss Hannigan IS a cartoonish character, there's never been any need whatsoever to inject her with humanity. When she gets her comeuppance at the end we should all cheer.

And there's a difference between Annie and The Facts of Life in terms of height differential. The song title "Little Girls" should clue you in.

by Anonymousreply 27307/22/2013

[quote] Miss Hannigan IS a cartoonish character,

Because Dorothy Louden played it that way.

Charlotte would have added much more of a humanity and sympathy in the character, like Mrs. Garrett.

by Anonymousreply 27407/22/2013

Would the Mrs. Garrett/Charlotte Rae troll please stfu

by Anonymousreply 27507/22/2013

Are there any songs online from The Bridges of Madison County?

by Anonymousreply 27607/22/2013

R275 u know I'm right

by Anonymousreply 27707/22/2013

Told by folks up at Williamstown it's a gorgeous score comparable to "Light In The Piazza", but even more romantic.

From JRB? We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 27807/22/2013

[quote]JLY's girlfriend for quite a while was that fat, older casting director from Papermill. Can't even remember her name

R204- Her name is Alison Franke.

by Anonymousreply 27907/22/2013

And she was his beard, not his girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 28007/22/2013

Well, looks like Sutton will be packing up and heading back to NYC...

by Anonymousreply 28107/22/2013

Sutton really, REALLY wants a film and TV career. I expect her to give it at least another year in LA. She would have been all over pilot season this year if she hadn't been committed to Dumbheads at the time.

by Anonymousreply 28207/22/2013

I don't give a flying fuck about Charlotte Rae. Who is every bit the shameless ham that Dorothy Louden was. More versatile, yes, but as someone pointed out, Miss Hannigan isn't supposed to have warmth and depth. That's one of the things that ruined the first movie - Carol Burnett wanted Miss Hannigan to have warmth, and to be redeemed by trying to save Annie from Rooster. It ruined a great villain.

by Anonymousreply 28307/22/2013

her thighs are too doughy for film....they are like cottage cheese!

by Anonymousreply 28407/22/2013

who was the second best Broadway Hannigan after Louden?

by Anonymousreply 28507/22/2013

Why hasn't someone written something that PattiLu and Bernadette could do together?

by Anonymousreply 28607/23/2013

How about a musical version of the female version of The Odd Couple? Patti would play the slob, of course.

by Anonymousreply 28707/23/2013

I don't know if you know it Lilla if she hasn't will be leaving the show as what happens, she grew. Two Annies will be doing the role one is the understudy and the other was one of the4 orphans.

But to answer your question Lilla did perform all performances.

by Anonymousreply 28807/23/2013

[quote]Carol Burnett wanted Miss Hannigan to have warmth, and to be redeemed by trying to save Annie from Rooster. It ruined a great villain.

Carol Burnett didn't write the screenplay.

[quote]who was the second best Broadway Hannigan after Louden?

Who said Louden was the best?

by Anonymousreply 28907/23/2013

[quote] Sutton really, REALLY wants a film and TV career.

Alas, it does not want her.

by Anonymousreply 29007/23/2013

It's hard to really believe Sutton wants a film and TV career as she's done nothing with her hair and makeup to give her an interesting look. I can only imagine that to studio execs in LA she looks quite ordinary and forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 29107/23/2013

If Sutton was to ever be successful on TV she would need to steal from Mary Tyler Moore again, or do a "fish out of water" sitcom - something where she played to her good-girl, wide-eyed strengths.

by Anonymousreply 29207/23/2013

[quote] If Sutton was to ever be successful on TV she would need to steal from Mary Tyler Moore again, or do a "fish out of water" sitcom - something where she played to her good-girl, wide-eyed strengths.

Because that worked out really well for me!

by Anonymousreply 29307/23/2013

Tremendous amounts of ignorance in this thread.

Sorry to embarrass you, R261, but the guy featured in the clip you posted is NOT Andy Blankenbuehler; it's some dancer who was participating in some sort of class or event or showcase run by Andy. I'm surprised you couldn't figure that out on your own. I believe you can hear Andy speak and get a very partial view of him towards the end of the clip.

As for Miss Hannigan in ANNIE, anyone who thinks it's a good idea for an actress to "humanize" the character is a fool, for the reasons patiently explained but other posters here who obviously have brains in their heads. It's ESSENTIAL that Miss Hannigan be a cartoon villain. Otherwise, the story doesn't work and we feel bad for her when she's dragged off to jail at the end, which is NOT what we're supposed to feel.

Dorothy Loudon was perfection in the role, and I wish you clueless bitches would stop spelling her name wrong ;-)

by Anonymousreply 29407/23/2013

I friend sent me an article on the restoration of the Richard Rodgers Theater. I remember there being a 1950s (?) mural of R&H productions on the wall as you exited the theater. I haven't seen it for years. Was this painted over, or am I just imagining it?

by Anonymousreply 29507/23/2013

Miller Wright wasa good guy. Never an asshole and he loved his clients. Sad. He will be missed.

by Anonymousreply 29607/23/2013

Bout time they are renovating the Richard Rodgers. My seat for Porgy and Bess was broken and the material was ripped all over. The theater looked worse than catfish row. And finally they are using the "restoration" fee to actually restore and not rip off the public like they have been doing for 15 years. How much less space will there be for your knees? I hate theater owners and producers- fucking greedy pigs.

by Anonymousreply 29707/23/2013

R294 could you tell use who Andy Blankenbuehler bf is?

[quote] Dorothy Loudon was perfection in the role [/quote]

Then why was she replaced by Carol Burnett? Not once, but twice (in Noises Off)

by Anonymousreply 29807/23/2013

Here is Andy Blankenbuehler in action

Does Rob Ashford feel threatened by him?

by Anonymousreply 29907/23/2013

[quote]Then why was she replaced by Carol Burnett? Not once, but twice (in Noises Off)

You are clearly mentally ill. Stop typing and go speak to a professional.

by Anonymousreply 30007/23/2013

Probably because she's not a household name like Burnett, R298.

by Anonymousreply 30107/23/2013

R300 do you dispute that Carol Burnett DID NOT replace Dorothy Louden in both Annie and Noises Off?

Did you know that Dorothy Louden had a TORRID affair with Carol's brother-in-law?

by Anonymousreply 30207/23/2013

But has anyone seen Faith Prince in Annie (just to try get off the troll ledge)?

Prime Time over for now!

by Anonymousreply 30307/23/2013

R301 tell that to Irene Worth, Eileen Heckart, Mildred Natwick and countless other actresses who reprises their Broadway role for the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 30407/23/2013

r299 Threatened? Not if he saw ANNIE. Christ.

by Anonymousreply 30507/23/2013

r304: I figured out Eileen Heckart, but what big stage roles did Irene Worth and Mildred Natwick reprise on the big screen?

And I guess you think Lucy was a better choice for Mame than Angie?

by Anonymousreply 30607/23/2013

Saw Linda Eder at Town Hall last night...while she is a great singer, she is not much of an actress. If you are going to sing "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" and "I Dreamed A Dream" please do more than stand there like a botoxed block of wood.

by Anonymousreply 30707/23/2013

Beth Leavel would make a great Miss Hannigan.

by Anonymousreply 30807/23/2013

Kathie Lee played Miss Hannigan in a Christmas production of Annie at MSG a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 30907/23/2013

Eileen Heckart had worked consistently and extensively in film and television prior to her roles the film versions of THE BAD SEED and BUTTERFLIES ARE FREE, R304.You will notice, however, that Rosalind Russell got her role in the film version of PICNIC.

by Anonymousreply 31007/23/2013

R306 To coin a phrase that R301 just used.

Are you really THAT stupid?

by Anonymousreply 31107/23/2013

R310 what about Irene Worth and Mildred Natwick?

by Anonymousreply 31207/23/2013

And besides, Heckart's role in Butterflies Are Free is very much supporting.

by Anonymousreply 31307/23/2013

And Miss Hannigan isn't a supporting role?

by Anonymousreply 31407/23/2013

I wonder if r310 s thinking of Deathtrap re Irene Worth? Though she did not originate that role of the psychic.

Can't remember the name of the character actress who did, though Betsy Parrish replaced her and played it for years and years and years.

by Anonymousreply 31507/23/2013

R315 to coin a phrase by R301 re:Irene Worth

Are you really that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 31607/23/2013

Irene Worth was in Lost in Yonkers on both stage and screen.

by Anonymousreply 31707/23/2013

And you guys still can't get Mildred Natwick either!

by Anonymousreply 31807/23/2013

R317 isn't stupid. Now try for Mildred Natwick

by Anonymousreply 31907/23/2013

Mildred Natiwick also appeared in many films and TV shows/anthology series consistently before reprising her BAREFOOT IN THE PARK role in the 1967 film.

Irene Worth - I see none of her Broadway roles recreated on the big screen. And again, she was appearing in TV and films from the mid-1940s, as well as appearing on stage here and in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 32007/23/2013

Can you link to the article on the restoration of the Richard Rodgers, r295?

by Anonymousreply 32107/23/2013

R320

[quote] I see none of her Broadway roles recreated on the big screen.

To coin a phrase from R301

by Anonymousreply 32207/23/2013

I already posted about Mildred Natwick.

And LOST IN YONKERS was towards the end of Worth's career. But again, she had been around a long time, in both film and TV, long before her ONE cross-over role.

by Anonymousreply 32307/23/2013

"Did you know that Dorothy Louden had a TORRID affair with Carol's brother-in-law?"

Details please if this is true, r302! Was this Joe Hamilton's brother? Or the husband of Carol's sister? When was this?

by Anonymousreply 32407/23/2013

R320 btw

you spelled Mildred NATWICK name wrong

Again to coin R301

by Anonymousreply 32507/23/2013

Irene Worth may have fabulous on stage, I don't know I never saw her, but she was a big old hambone in film. She was awful in "Deathtrap" and a little seen Sidney Pointer directed movie called "Fast Forward".

by Anonymousreply 32607/23/2013

[quote]Beth Leavel would make a great Miss Hannigan

She would and she has! Leavel played Hannigan at the Muny three or four years ago.

by Anonymousreply 32707/23/2013

Mildred Natwick stole the 1956 CBS-TV production of Blithe Spirit, from Noel Coward, Claudette Colbert and Lauren Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 32807/23/2013

R324 it was Joe Hamilton's brother.

It was truly a soap opera at The Gary Moore Show.

Carol hooked up with Joe Hamilton, who was the producer. One of the reasons she left was her affair with Joe (who was married with kids at the time)

Carol's replacement? Dorothy Louden!

Dorothy then started seeing David Geisel, who at the time was married to Joe Hamilton's sister.

David Geisel could be considered a brother-in-law since he was married to Carol's sister-in-law, Joe Hamilton's sister.

by Anonymousreply 32907/23/2013

R328 great you could spell Mildred name properly, unlike SOME people.

by Anonymousreply 33007/23/2013

Oops @ R329 meant Joe Hamilton's sister's husband

by Anonymousreply 33107/23/2013

Fuck you R325. And fuck Charlotte Ray AND Carol Burnett with your diseased prick.

by Anonymousreply 33207/23/2013

You know what a typo is dickweed?

by Anonymousreply 33307/23/2013

For R324

“They certainly play romantic musical chairs at ‘The Garry Moore Show.’ Dorothy Loudon, who took over Carol Burnett’s chores on the program, is dating David Geisel, who used to direct it. David’s wife, from whom he is separated, is the sister of Joe Hamilton, whom Carol recently married...”

Kipp Hamilton separates from Geisel and dates William Harp, Garry Moore's set director.

by Anonymousreply 33407/23/2013

[quote] You know what a typo is

Are you really that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 33507/23/2013

[quote]Dorothy Loudon was perfection in the role, and I wish you clueless bitches would stop spelling her name wrong ;-)

Thank you for this. This thread must have set some kind of record for the number of times one person's name has been misspelled. And it's Charlotte RAE, not RAY, and GARRY Moore, not GARY.

by Anonymousreply 33607/23/2013

We don't care about misspelling hacks like Charlotte Rae, or Garry Moore's names. Why don't you fucking ATC trolls piss off back from where you came.

by Anonymousreply 33707/23/2013

Dorothy Loudon was sleeping with the director of the Garry Moore show to get more screen time.

by Anonymousreply 33807/23/2013

"As for Miss Hannigan in ANNIE, anyone who thinks it's a good idea for an actress to "humanize" the character is a fool, for the reasons patiently explained but other posters here who obviously have brains in their heads. It's ESSENTIAL that Miss Hannigan be a cartoon villain. Otherwise, the story doesn't work and we feel bad for her when she's dragged off to jail at the end, which is NOT what we're supposed to feel."

Character comedy stems from PAIN, Miss Priss. If the actor doesn't ground the role, no matter how broad, in SOME degree of emotional reality, you get a flavorless performance like what's her name on the Tonys. No, one shouldn't weep for Hannigan when she's trotted off to the hoosegow but there should be some recognition of an extreme aspect of human nature. That's called COMEDY.

by Anonymousreply 33907/23/2013

[quote]Mildred Natwick stole the 1956 CBS-TV production of Blithe Spirit, from Noel Coward, Claudette Colbert and Lauren Bacall.

She did! Have a kinescope copy of that broadcast. She was delightful as Madame Arcadi. Boy, those were the the golden age of television when Hallmark Hall of Fame presented TV adaptations of plays.

by Anonymousreply 34007/23/2013

Mildred Natwick was the best part of "Barefoot in the Park."

by Anonymousreply 34107/23/2013

"Character comedy stems from PAIN, Miss Priss. If the actor doesn't ground the role, no matter how broad, in SOME degree of emotional reality, you get a flavorless performance like what's her name on the Tonys. No, one shouldn't weep for Hannigan when she's trotted off to the hoosegow but there should be some recognition of an extreme aspect of human nature. That's called COMEDY."

Your basic premise is correct, but you don't seem to understand how it applies. To me, "grounding" a role like Miss Hannigan in "SOME degree of emotional reality" (which I agree is necessary) is very different from "humanizing" the character to the point where we feel sorry for her when she's dragged off to jail at the end.

by Anonymousreply 34207/23/2013

[quote]That's one of the things that ruined the first movie - Carol Burnett wanted Miss Hannigan to have warmth, and to be redeemed by trying to save Annie from Rooster. It ruined a great villain.

Can anyone confirm whether Burnett fought to have her character made more sympathetic in the film? Name actors have a reputation for protecting their "brand" and running roughshod over screenwriters and directors.

by Anonymousreply 34307/23/2013

So how is FAITH PRINCE in the role?

by Anonymousreply 34407/23/2013

Good God, what the fuck has become of this thread!?!

by Anonymousreply 34507/23/2013

JLY's ex-girlfriend's name is spelled Alison Franck. If Jersey boys gets decent reviews, JLY is a shoo-in for a Golden Globe nomination fr Best Actor in a musical or comedy. If it gets great reviews, he will get an Oscar nomination especially since he won a Tony for the role.

by Anonymousreply 34607/23/2013

Stritch is going to come back from Detroit in her black underwear and audition for Hannigan. She'll show us all that the role doesn't need any sentiment whatsoever. And she's bored shitless with no freebies to grovel for in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 34707/23/2013

I too would like r283 to cite his source for saying that it was Burnett's choice to have Miss Hannigan "redeemed". It's not as if it's a case where John Huston and Carol Sobieski (screenwriter) were so faithful to the spirit of the original show in every other way that this one change must have come from Burnett - they rode roughshod over almost everything that made the original good!

Anyway, there's sort of no good answer once you've decided to include a scene in which psychopathic Tim Curry attempts to murder Annie by un-prying her fingers from the bridge she's dangling from. I don't think anybody would have wanted to see Dorothy Loudon's Miss Hannigan gleefully and maniacally watching and rooting for a child's death, either - that takes the character from comic villainy into a horrifying evil that was also not the tone of Loudon's performance. Not that the "redeemed" Miss Hannigan was any good, either (even if she did uselessly try to stop Rooster from killing Annie, she still should have been sent to prison for conspiracy to kidnap and for years of child abuse and neglect, instead of apparently getting a full pardon and partying with Annie and Daddy Warbucks in the final scene).

But with so many misguided things about that movie, I wouldn't cast any blame on Carol Burnett (unless it's actually been reported somewhere that she sought some of the changes).

by Anonymousreply 34807/23/2013

The other Four Seasons will be played by non-singers. You really don;t need to sing; people will flock anyway.

by Anonymousreply 34907/23/2013

r261, the dancer is not Andy B. He is just seen briefly from the back on the left side.

Know him well. Sweetheart, but completely straight.

by Anonymousreply 35007/23/2013

RELAX r345, it is the summer - not much goes on in the theater in NYC anyway at this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 35107/23/2013

R350 does he feel threatened by Rob Ashford?

by Anonymousreply 35207/23/2013

I don't for a minute believe Miller Wright's family's story about Miller accidentally falling out his 23rd floor window while cleaning it. His company's website hadn't be updated in three years. And those windows in those Upper East Side towers up in the 90's are designed so you can't fall out of them unless you're trying to.

How ill was Miller Wright?

by Anonymousreply 35307/23/2013

Are you drunk r353? What are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 35407/23/2013

Should I see FIRST DATE?

by Anonymousreply 35507/23/2013

No R355-- Get the bootleg instead. Lot cheaper than a ticket to a show that isn't very good.

Saw the show last week. So thin you could walk through it.

by Anonymousreply 35607/23/2013

Get the bootleg? If it's not worth seeing live, it's not worth watching it via a crap just pointed at the stage.

by Anonymousreply 35707/23/2013

I don't know how "camera" turned into "crap"

by Anonymousreply 35807/23/2013

[quote]Are you drunk [R353]? What are you talking about?

I think Miller Wright was that theatrical publicist who died.

by Anonymousreply 35907/23/2013

Restoration of Richard Rogers Theatre (R295, R321)link

by Anonymousreply 36007/23/2013

TO the posters who say Andy Blankenbuehler is straight - I certainly believe you, since you know him but my GOD: my gaydar; good these 40+ years, must have been WAY off when I watched the PBS special on the making of "THe Hard-Knock Life". I would have bet my negative net worth he was gay; screaming; flaming. Must be a metrosexual vibe...

by Anonymousreply 36107/23/2013

[quote] . I would have bet my negative net worth he was gay; screaming; flaming.

And he was also wearing a chain necklace, so visible.

What the heck was that?

by Anonymousreply 36207/23/2013

Are you fucking stupid, R354, or just dropping in to browse?

by Anonymousreply 36307/23/2013

I can't imagine Miller doing housework. No.

by Anonymousreply 36407/23/2013

We probably wouldn't be talking about Annie and Burnett and Loudon at all if it weren't for Loudon's performance in the original thanks to Mike Nichols. She was spectacular and lifted a nice musical with a very good book and an okay score (that title song is a real dog- You Won't Be an Orphan For Long? - -OY!) to smash status. Annie also opened after a LONG spell without a big hit musical which helped it.

I saw the original way too many times and would rate the Hannigans:

Loudon

Marcia Lewis and Alice Ghostly

Dolores Wilson, June Havoc and Betty Hutton.

by Anonymousreply 36507/23/2013

Here's a newsflash, theatre lovers....

LOVE'S LABOURS' LOUSY.

Yes. Your tireless critic attended tonight's preview. Oy. An appealing cast, a marching band onstage, Rachel Dratch... all for...not very much.

I was skeptical about BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON but this is worse. It's duller.

I would like those two hours of my life back, please.

by Anonymousreply 36607/24/2013

[R120] I was in the show with him. He is amazing, singer, actor, former fatty and all. I'm also pretty sure he's not batting for our team as he seemed quite friendly with a certain british actress in the cast. I found this of him. HOT very quiet guy though.

by Anonymousreply 36707/24/2013

I thought Josh was married? Can anyone confirm this? I assume you're talking about Laura Michelle Kelly? Regardless. I think he's amazing. I didn't like the choice of him for Judas but I've seen him in many other things, he's fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 36807/24/2013

r120, did Former Fattie Josh wear flip-flops often?? Please describe his flip-flops and his feets. (Are they hairy?)

by Anonymousreply 36907/24/2013

Who could have foreseen that a theater thread in 2013 could be dominated by Dorothy Loudon's alleged adultery and Mildred Natwick's movie roles?

by Anonymousreply 37007/24/2013

Dorothy couldn't get through a performance of "Fifty Percent" without choking up, thinking of her late husband, Norman Paris.

by Anonymousreply 37107/24/2013

Was it drinking that caused Loudon to leave DINNER AT EIGHT during rehearsals?

by Anonymousreply 37207/24/2013

R120 I saw it. Amazing production. Wish Starlight Theatre here in Kansas City was still producing their own shows like the Muny.

by Anonymousreply 37307/24/2013

Dorothy Loudon stabbed Maggie Task in the back by stealing the role of Miss Hannigan from her.

Task originated the role of Miss Hannigan.

by Anonymousreply 37407/24/2013

Kathie Lee guest hosted on Kris-pimp mom Kardashian's talk show. if you want to see Broadway flop composer humiliate herself once more, you must see clips on youtube. She is so Phony. They recreate the I Love Lucy segment where the chocolates come off the conveyor belt but they use Krispy Kreme donuts. The show is desperate and really lame.

by Anonymousreply 37507/24/2013

Kris Jenner was on "Chelsea Lately" last night, did the E! honchos force Chelsea to put her on?

by Anonymousreply 37607/24/2013

[quote] Did the E! honchos force Chelsea to put her on?

Has anyone ever CONSENTED to having Kris Jenner on them?

by Anonymousreply 37707/24/2013

Please, (R374).

If Nichols hadn't seen Annie at Goodspeed and decided to "produce" it for Broadway and added Loudon to juice the comedy we might not be talking about Annie at all.

Well, we might--but in the same breath as I Remember Mama, Dance A Little Closer, Annie !! etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 37807/24/2013

Anything about FIRST DATE? Levi claimed it had been selling out shows at Comic-Con.

by Anonymousreply 37907/24/2013

This is Riedel's article on Miller's death. The police say cleaning supplies were present.

Not every ending is happy

I have to report some sad news today.

Miller Wright, a veteran theater and nightclub publicist and a real gentleman, died last week. The circumstances were grisly, sparking rumors about suicide.

Some people said he was depressed because his business was on the rocks. His leading client, Michael Feinstein’s cabaret at the Regency Hotel, closed down last year.

But others said Miller was lining up several off-Broadway shows and was happy to be doing theater publicity again.

All I have are the facts, from law-enforcement sources. Last Thursday at 10:30 in the morning, the concierge where Miller lived on East 95th Street heard “a loud thumping” sound on the scaffolding in front of the building. An eyewitness reported seeing a “human body falling onto the scaffolding.” The police were called and found the body. The concierge identified Miller from a photo.

The police went to his apartment — 23J — and saw that his bedroom window was open. On the floor were damp paper towels and a bottle of Windex. The inner window had streaks on it, the outer window had been wiped clean.

Police believe Miller slipped while cleaning his window. His death has been ruled a “tragic accident,” law enforcement officials say.

Miller, who was 56, arrived in New York from North Carolina in 1986 and went to work for Shirley Herz, one of the last of the great old Broadway publicists. Right off the bat he looked after such stars as Kathleen Turner, in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof,” and Tyne Daly, in “Gypsy.” In all the years I dealt with him — sometimes on stories that were not so flattering to his clients — he never raised his voice or lost his cool.

He laughed off the bad news and promoted the good.

He loved the cabaret world, repping such nightclub fixtures as John Pizzarelli, Ann Hampton Callaway and Andrea Marcovicci.

But I think he was proudest of Feinstein’s. The cabaret business isn’t easy, but Feinstein’s had a good 14-year run.

Much of its success was due to Miller.

He’ll be missed by everyone who worked at the club — and by everyone who knew him around Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 38007/24/2013

Sounds like suicide to me.

by Anonymousreply 38107/24/2013

[quote]Has anyone ever CONSENTED to having Kris Jenner on them?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 38207/24/2013

Miller's family is from Kentucky, which explains a lot about their "official" press release.

by Anonymousreply 38307/24/2013

Never knew about Maggie Task originating Hannigan. Worked with her once - an absolute doll!

by Anonymousreply 38407/24/2013

Will Broadway dim their lights for Miller Wright?

Seems they're doing it now for anyone who ever attended a Broadway show . . . where is the honor of the gesture?

by Anonymousreply 38507/24/2013

R385, whom do you think has had the Broadway lights dimmed in his/her honor and didn't deserve it?

by Anonymousreply 38607/24/2013

Miller was a sizable guy. How far was he out the window to fall? What sort of window opens wide enough for a middle aged guy who is not in great shape to fall out of it? Miller was generous and a stand up guy. And sensitive. And he sometimes blew smoke as publicists do. And he drank too much like a lot of people. I don't know what was in his heart but I truly hope he was not in despair. Either way this is just awful.

by Anonymousreply 38707/24/2013

Miller was from North Carolina, and I'm sure any press release went through Dan Fortune at Miller's agency.

by Anonymousreply 38807/24/2013

"[R385], whom do you think has had the Broadway lights dimmed in his/her honor and didn't deserve it?"

Ron Silver, James Gandolfini, Natasha Richardson, Jill Clayburgh, Elizabeth Taylor, Jean Stapleton, to name a few.

It's an honor that should be reserved for true legends, and while Elizabeth Taylor was one, she had only appeared on Broadway twice.

by Anonymousreply 38907/24/2013

The Muny is undergoing a renaissance. I saw their "Les Miz" and it was outstanding. Wish I'd seen "South Pacific."

by Anonymousreply 39007/24/2013

Jean Stapleton (Bells Are Ringing, Damn Yankees, Funny Girl just off the top of my head) certainly deserved a dimming.

Also, Jill Clayburgh, though I can't think of any credits except The Rothschilds, Pippin and that execrable Scott Elliot revival of Barefoot in the Park. She was a lovely lady!

And Natasha Richardson starred in 2 bona fide Broadway hits Cabaret and Anna Christie, even if they were produced by The Roundabout.

I'll give you Gandolfini and Silver.

by Anonymousreply 39107/24/2013

R340, you should watch the recently-released Hallmark Hall of Fame 1950's production of Gilbert and Sullivan's Yeoman of the Guard with Barbara Cook, Celeste Holm and Alfred Drake.

by Anonymousreply 39207/24/2013

Ron Silver won a Tony and was once president of Actors' Equity.

Gandolfini's big time stage credits were few--but he was in a bona fide hit, God of Carnage, and his presence in it was at least partially responsible. Plus for good or ill and I hate the word, he was a cultural icon.

These were deserved, hardly just anyone would have attended a Broadway show.

by Anonymousreply 39307/24/2013

Apparently, Diahann Carroll will be playing Denzel's mother in the upcoming Broadway revival of A Raisin in the Sun.

And while both stars are about 15 years too old for their roles as written, I'm more shocked that Ms. Carroll would willingly de-glamorize herself enough to play Lena Younger.

She seems like major miscasting to me and it's not about her age.

by Anonymousreply 39407/24/2013

IS this Raisin revival really going to happen? Not a great idea.

Ms. Diahann, whom I love, did deglam a bit for the movie Eve's Bayou.

by Anonymousreply 39507/24/2013

In fact, Ron Silver was a three-term president of Equity, so that further justifies the lights being dimmed in his honor (for those who would question it).

by Anonymousreply 39607/24/2013

Dorothy Loudon lost the movie version of Annie because she back stabbed Maggie Task, who originated the part when it was playing regionally.

Karma is a bitch

by Anonymousreply 39707/24/2013

Chita Rivera originated two Broadway roles that later won Oscars for two other actress on film.

Do you think she is bitter?

by Anonymousreply 39907/24/2013

Chita doing both roles that later won Oscars for other actresses.

by Anonymousreply 40007/24/2013

Who or what the fuck is this demented anti-Loudon troll? What sort of life do you have to have to carry on like that?

by Anonymousreply 40107/24/2013

Who is this "back stabbed" idiot? They tried that routine a couple of threads ago and it was just as stupid.

If someone doesn't get to take a role to Broadway - well, tough shit. But the person who played the role didn't cast themselves, so stop blaming it on them.

Ben Foster didn't backstab Shia Lebeouf. Michelle Lee didn't backstab Lainie Kazan. Susan Watson and Patti LuPone didn't backstab Carole Demas.

by Anonymousreply 40207/24/2013

[quote]I'm more shocked that Ms. Carroll would willingly de-glamorize herself enough to play Lena Younger.

She was supposed to do "On Golden Pond" with James Earl Jones back in 2004 but had to bow out because of a back injury. That's not a glamour role.

by Anonymousreply 40307/24/2013

Sorry to hear that R366. I normally like Timbers's work. Hope they can fix it.

by Anonymousreply 40407/24/2013

[quote] Michelle Lee didn't backstab Lainie Kazan

Then why does Lainie herself say she felt betrayed by her 'best friend' Michelle Lee?

by Anonymousreply 40507/24/2013

Oh Crap. It's time to bring back Mildred Natwick. Now we're worrying about Michelle Lee and Lainie Kazan....

by Anonymousreply 40607/24/2013

[quote]you should watch the recently-released Hallmark Hall of Fame 1950's production of Gilbert and Sullivan's Yeoman of the Guard with Barbara Cook, Celeste Holm and Alfred Drake

R392- I have a copy. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 40707/24/2013

Walked out of the dress rehearsal for Getting My Act last night....what a piece of boring shit. Dated and all that poor pitiful me relationship and girl power crap. Renee has a great voice but I know why it has never been revived.

by Anonymousreply 40807/24/2013

[quote] It's time to bring back Mildred Natwick.

When she did 70 Girls 70 in previews one of the older actors dropped dead on stage from a heart attack.

In the spirit of 'The Show must go on', the curtain went down and they immediately went to the next scene. Mildred singing a lovely ballad about dying.

by Anonymousreply 40907/24/2013

[bold] With Rights Extended, Rebecca Musical Now Aims for 2014 Broadway Arrival [/bold]

Rebecca, the much-delayed Broadway musical based on the Daphne du Maurier literary romantic thriller, is now looking toward a 2014 Broadway arrival, producer Ben Sprecher told Playbill.com July 24.

Sprecher, the embattled producer who has continued to guide Rebecca toward a Broadway life, previously stated that funding for the $15-$16 million musical had to be completed by the end of June — at which point rights to the project were to revert back to VBW, the Austrian company that holds live stage rights to the property — in order for Rebecca to officially open on Broadway by December.

In April Sprecher said that he had $8 million in place and was optimistic about identifying parties capable of providing the remaining capital. The late-June deadline passed without an announcement of Rebecca's capitalization or dates of a Broadway run.

Austria's Radio Wien reports that Thomas Drozda of VBW has now extended Sprecher's window to January 2014 (possibly as far as December 2014) to raise the capital necessary to produce Rebecca on Broadway. Australian producers, capable of providing seven-figure investements, are currently being courted to help fund the Broadway production.

Playbill.com reached out to Sprecher, who replied, "We are moving forward and looking forward to welcoming Rebecca the Musical to Broadway in 2014."

In 2008 Sprecher, along with fellow producer Louise Forlenza, announced a 2010 targeted Broadway premiere for the dark pop musical.

Rebecca found itself in peril last fall when Sprecher, who believed capitalization was complete, pulled the trigger on the start of set and costume construction. It was later discovered that Long Island businessman Mark C. Hotton had fabricated the name of an investor who pledged the final $4.5 million for the production.

Sprecher and the producing team continue with their case that the show's former press rep, Marc Thibodeaux, scuttled the Broadway production last fall by scaring off a potential, multi-million dollar investor — a claim Thibodeaux denies. Read the Playbill.com coverage here.

The musical features book and lyrics by Michael Kunze, music by Sylvester Levay. Rebecca had its world premiere in 2006 at Vereinigte Buhnen Wien in Vienna.

by Anonymousreply 41107/24/2013

Iconic actress DIAHANN CARROLL is suffering from dementia, The ENQUIRER has learned. The 78-year-old TV trailblazer – in 1968 she became the first African-American woman to star in her own television series, “Julia” – is still in the early stages of the disease. But a source says her memory loss is increasing, and the still-beautiful actress is devastated because she knows she may never sing again.

by Anonymousreply 41207/24/2013

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving cunt!

by Anonymousreply 41307/24/2013

Nancy Kwan stabbed France Nuyen in the back by stealing the film version of Suzie Wong

by Anonymousreply 41407/24/2013

REBECCA - can't think of a bigger "why bother?"

by Anonymousreply 41507/24/2013

Link, since R412 couldn't be bothered

by Anonymousreply 41607/24/2013

Listening to the Angela Lansbury cast recording of the flop PRETTYBELLE... Co-starrng ....get ready for it ....

Maggie Task! Poor Miss Task never could catch a break.

Did anyone here see this mess? Good Lord that plot is something.

by Anonymousreply 41707/24/2013

[quote] Poor Miss Task never could catch a break.

She couldn't get the knife out of her back by Dorothy Loudon.

by Anonymousreply 41807/24/2013

I saw the Boston tryout of Prettybelle when I was a college student.

Totally unmemorable except for some lovely crinoline skirted frocks worn by Miss Lansbury. And IIRC the Playbill cover art was rather charming. Was there ever a poster? I believe the show folded in Boston.

Was Charlotte Rae in that or is my memory playing tricks? If so, sorry to reintroduce her name to the thread!

by Anonymousreply 41907/24/2013

Yes there is a poster for Prettybelle hanging on the wall at Joe Allen.

by Anonymousreply 42007/24/2013

We named our eldest daughter Prettybelle!

by Anonymousreply 42107/24/2013

I just saw Matilda - while it had a few excellently staged numbers (particularly the first act song at the school gate), what a pretentious crapfest.

I think they were insane for putting Bertie Carvel as a lead - his one note performance barely qualified as Supporting. Interesting, the winner of the award, Gabriel Ebert playing Matilda's father was very deserving of the award.

All 3 leading ladies, especially "Miss Honey" were nothing special.

They spent a lot of money on the sets though.

by Anonymousreply 42207/24/2013

R422 Gabriel Ebert is going to be the next Bill Irwin

by Anonymousreply 42307/24/2013

I'm surprised that the only thing memorable about PRETTYBELLE was the costumes. Doesn't her character let black men rape her to atone for her late husband's racism or something? Bad show or not, the idea of Angela Lansbury playing that character certainly sounds memorable to me!

by Anonymousreply 42407/24/2013

I agree R422. Gabriel Ebert was great. The show, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 42507/24/2013

Is Gabriel Ebert straight or gay? I have asked this on multiple previous threads and I don't think anyone has answered.

by Anonymousreply 42607/24/2013

"When she did 70 Girls 70 in previews one of the older actors dropped dead on stage from a heart attack."

That actor was the great David Burns.

Mildred Natwick was a hoot as Rock Hudson's mother on "McMillan and Wife".

by Anonymousreply 42707/24/2013

R419-Poster art is nice. I don't believe Ms. Rae was in the the show, unless she was let go during rehearsals. She's not listed on the credits page.

But that plot!!!! Wanting to get raped by minorities and sleeping with them to get back at your ex-husband, now dead... alcoholism, dementia... all tied together in a neat little bow by director Gower Champion.

by Anonymousreply 42807/24/2013

[quote]Gabriel Ebert is going to be the next Bill Irwin

That's too bad, for one is too much.

by Anonymousreply 42907/24/2013

Was the person in charge of the Matilda banner ad snafu also in charge of checking the spelling for The Trip to Bountiful's 100th "Peformance" cookies?

by Anonymousreply 43007/24/2013

Speaking of producers, what do we know about David Stone?

by Anonymousreply 43107/24/2013

R428 Charlotte Rae played Angie's Mother!

by Anonymousreply 43207/24/2013

[quote]Speaking of producers, what do we know about David Stone?

Lord Voldemort. We mustn't say his name.

by Anonymousreply 43307/24/2013

My mistake R432

by Anonymousreply 43407/24/2013

Soon they will speak of Rebecca in the same tired hushed tones as Prettybelle and Miss Moffat.

by Anonymousreply 43507/24/2013

[quote]Lord Voldemort. We mustn't say his name

Why? Has he been on this site before?

by Anonymousreply 43607/24/2013

Rebecca coming in means that Karen Mason only had to wait 2 years for her next flop.

by Anonymousreply 43707/24/2013

They've offered her role to Caroline O'Connor.

by Anonymousreply 43807/24/2013

R431, you must not use that name here!

by Anonymousreply 43907/24/2013

OK I won't.. but why? Did he get a thread shut down?

by Anonymousreply 44007/24/2013

I thought Diahann Carroll's real "injury" during ON GOLDEN POND was to the script because she couldn't learn her lines?

by Anonymousreply 44107/24/2013

[quote]OK I won't.. but why? Did he get a thread shut down?

Supposedly, yes.

by Anonymousreply 44207/24/2013

I think Cecily T. won the tony for carrying that shitty supporting cast on her back. Oof. Cuba? Vanessa? What show are they doing?

by Anonymousreply 44307/24/2013

[quote]I think Cecily T. won the tony for carrying that shitty supporting cast on her back. Oof. Cuba? Vanessa? What show are they doing?

Did you giggle to yourself when you typed that?

by Anonymousreply 44407/24/2013

It's sort of obvious that Tesori and Marshall wanted Audra McDonald in TAKING MY ACT ON THE ROAD at City Center.

The show is dated but fun in a retro way, and the songs were really groovy.

And Fredrick Weller should be a bigger comedy star. He's a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 44507/24/2013

Why didn't anyone tell me that small-penised-big-balled hottie Frederick Weller was in this show?? Now I actually want to see it!

I had no idea he could sing - why hasn't he ever done a musical before?

by Anonymousreply 44607/24/2013

Sorry hon- Weller has a non singing role......which was better than listening to the swful score.

by Anonymousreply 44707/24/2013

I love the song Old Friend though

by Anonymousreply 44807/24/2013

Betty Lynn doing Old Friend.... beautifully

by Anonymousreply 44907/24/2013

Yes, Charlotte Rae was in Prettybelle - and I think she played Angela Lansbury's mother-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 45007/24/2013

Renee did a good job with OLD FRIENDS, but I never realized it was a ballad. She also did a good job with NATURAL HIGH, although the choreography looked like Sherie Rene Scott's moves in EVERYDAY RAPTURE.

by Anonymousreply 45207/24/2013

I know this isn't the right place, and I'm sorry, but these threads always get a ton of views so I figure this is my best chance:

Can someone please start a thread about this news article? It's right up DL's alley!

by Anonymousreply 45307/24/2013

r450, Charlotte Rae never played Angela Lansbury's mother-in=law, you god-damned clit sore.

by Anonymousreply 45407/24/2013

Fuck Dorothy Louden. It was that clit-licker, dykey Billie Hayes, who stabbed ME in the back!

PS: I used to call it "Prettysmell" backstage.

by Anonymousreply 45507/25/2013

It was actually Charlotte Rae who stabbed Dorothy Loudon in the back, by taking a sitcom about a staff member at a girls' boarding school that would be premiering only two weeks after Dorothy's self-titled star vehicle sitcom about a staff member at a girls' boarding school. Dorothy was on the verge of being the next Lucille Ball or Mary Tyler Moore, but that cunt Charlotte just couldn't allow that and set out to purposely and deliberately sabotage "Dorothy", steal the spotlight, and strangle it in its crib.

I have it on good authority that the day "Dorothy" was canceled, Dorothy poured herself her first drink, saying, "This is for you, Charlotte"... and she never stopped.

by Anonymousreply 45607/25/2013

London Merrily being filmed by Digital Theatre. Pity they don't do DVD releases - their Into the Woods recording is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 45707/25/2013

r422 = Harvey Fierstein.

by Anonymousreply 45807/25/2013

Dimming the lights on Broadway should be an honor reserved only for legends.

Steve Sondheim, Hal Prince, Angela Lansbury, Carol Channing, Chita Rivera are examples of those who should be so honored in the future, not those who appeared on Broadway years ago and then sold out to movies or television, never returning to the stage.

by Anonymousreply 45907/25/2013

I thought I'M GETTING MY ACT TOGETHER was a total snooze, but ably performed (although Ms. Goldsberry is no star). Weller was indeed the best thing about it.

The women of a certain age sitting around me adored it. As did Jesse21.

Gloria Steinem was there, as were Tony Kushner and his hubby Mark.

But please, no talk of a transfer!

by Anonymousreply 46007/25/2013

[quote]Dimming the lights on Broadway should be an honor reserved only for legends.

No.

by Anonymousreply 46107/25/2013

Apparently Nathan checked out of The Nance last night before the curtain came down. Some sort of "backstage injury". I hope he's OK.

by Anonymousreply 46207/25/2013

"Dimming the lights on Broadway should be an honor reserved only for legends."

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 46307/25/2013

But just think of the lower electricity bills!

by Anonymousreply 46407/25/2013

I stabbed Pat Suzuki in the back, and I'd do it again!

by Anonymousreply 46507/25/2013

[quote] I stabbed Pat Suzuki in the back, and I'd do it again!

Along with France Nuyen

by Anonymousreply 46607/25/2013

"Sew like the wind, old woman!"

by Anonymousreply 46707/25/2013

Pat Suzuki should have a better career. She was a spitfire

by Anonymousreply 46807/25/2013

I have an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 46907/25/2013

[quote]Dimming the lights on Broadway should be an honor reserved only for legends." Yes.

All the "Legends" are already dead, it's nice to jeep the tradition going. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 47007/25/2013

[quote]Chita Rivera originated two Broadway roles that later won Oscars for two other actress on film.

While this is true, she only has a legitimate beef about WSS. There's no way she could've pulled off Chicago (in which she did have a cameo) at her age.

by Anonymousreply 47107/25/2013

She didn't have a legitimate beef about WSS. Chita, like Stritch, looked 40 when she was 20. Very hard-faced.

by Anonymousreply 47207/25/2013

[quote]There's no way she could've pulled off Chicago (in which she did have a cameo) at her age.

Age stabbed Chita in the back.

by Anonymousreply 47307/25/2013

Age went to high school with Dotty Louden

by Anonymousreply 47407/25/2013

[quote]Age stabbed Chita in the back.

Nature stabbed Chita in the back.

And apparently, in the face... repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 47507/25/2013

Chita's looks have improved over the years - her later years- and she looked very glamorous during the Kiss of Spider Woman days. She is and has always been bitter about the fact that Music Man won the Tony over West Side Story. Weird but true. She is still a goddess though,and her commitment and love of the theater is evident.

by Anonymousreply 47607/25/2013

Take the backstabbing and Loudon hating elsewhere, it's getting old!

Unless one of you cunts has a video of Lolita, My Love, kindly fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 47707/25/2013

Chita grew into her looks around Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 47807/25/2013

[quote]There's no way she could've pulled off Chicago

Charlotte Rae, on the the other hand....

by Anonymousreply 47907/25/2013

Actually, the one I've always heard Chita was bitter about was Bye Bye Birdie.

But then again, so was Janet Leigh and she starred in the damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 48007/25/2013

It is Broadway Goddess Barbara Harris' 78th birthday today. What do you think she's doing to celebrate?

by Anonymousreply 48107/25/2013

OK... who's going to register for Betty Buckley's Song Interpretation and Monologue Workshop in NYC???

They should have it in a theater and sell tickets! (and popcorn!)

by Anonymousreply 48207/25/2013

[quote]Actually, the one I've always heard Chita was bitter about was Bye Bye Birdie.

I'd say because that was the result of plain racism.

by Anonymousreply 48307/25/2013

Don't register if you're a young mezzo belter!

by Anonymousreply 48407/25/2013

Was Bye Bye Birdie in production before Rita Moreno had her success with West Side Story?

by Anonymousreply 48507/25/2013

[quote] Actually, the one I've always heard Chita was bitter about was Bye Bye Birdie.

Bitter about not winning the Tony?

Bitter about not doing the movie?

I'm confused.

by Anonymousreply 48607/25/2013

Speaking of losing the Tony, how come Elizabeth Seal got to do Irma La Douce in the first place. One would think the likes of Rivera or Juliet Prowse would have killed for the role.

by Anonymousreply 48707/25/2013

[quote] It is Broadway Goddess Barbara Harris' 78th birthday today. What do you think she's doing to celebrate?

Writing cease and desist letters and flagging youtube videos.

by Anonymousreply 48807/25/2013

Nathan Lane hurt last night--evidently stepped off turntable set wrongly. Understudy finished the show.

Of course the trouper wants to do on tonight, pending approval of physical therapist.

by Anonymousreply 48907/25/2013

r487, remember that Chita never headlined a Broadway show on her own. Always had above-the-title co-stars. There had to be a reason for that.

On the other hand, Elizabeth Seal was a huge hit in Irma in London.

by Anonymousreply 49007/25/2013

r490

That makes sense about Rivera, especially considering the issue of ethnicity.

Still, it's somewhat surprising that Seal got to do it when the US already had enough of their own triple threats.

by Anonymousreply 49107/25/2013

"It is Broadway Goddess Barbara Harris' 78th birthday today. What do you think she's doing to celebrate?"

Reminiscing about enjoying Warren Beatty's cock when he was in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 49207/25/2013

Poor Barbara H. Isn't she some half-crazed beggar woman somewhere out West?

by Anonymousreply 49307/25/2013

Doesn't Barbara Harris teach now? So she has to be at least semi-functioning...

by Anonymousreply 49407/25/2013

Are Betty Buckley's classes just full of crazed sycophants? That's the vibe I get from twitter.

by Anonymousreply 49507/25/2013

I was very bitter when I lost Molly Brown to that Grimes woman!

by Anonymousreply 49607/25/2013

But what show did Elizabeth Seal do that got her the lead in Irma La Douce in London?

by Anonymousreply 49707/25/2013

r497

"Damn Yankees (as Lola, she replaced a figure skater who couldn't do the Fosse choreography), "Pajama Game" (the Carol Haney part), and the wonderfully named "Gay's The Word".

by Anonymousreply 49807/25/2013

I'd always heard that Barbara Harris was teaching college drama somewhere in the Southwest but it seems suspicious that none of her former students have ever spoken about her....I mean students that might have had a little success working in NY or LA.

I'd also heard conversely that Mike Nichols set her up comfortably to retire in the Southwest.

by Anonymousreply 49907/25/2013

Joshua Buscher and his huge ass will be back on Broadway in BIG FISH.

by Anonymousreply 50007/25/2013

Molly Brown is crap. Mame on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 50107/25/2013

[quote] I'd always heard that Barbara Harris was teaching college drama somewhere in the Southwest

She's in Scottsdale, Arizona.

by Anonymousreply 50207/25/2013

She was going to play my role in the Bette Midler GYPSY when I wasn't initially available.

by Anonymousreply 50307/25/2013

How old is that Phoenix Times article?

by Anonymousreply 50407/25/2013

It's from October 2002, which is at the top of the article, R504.

by Anonymousreply 50507/25/2013

According to Wiki, Elizabeth Seal was a big hit in the Carol Haney role in the LondonPajama Game and then as Lola in Damn Yankees. Sounds like she was ripe for fame in Irma.

by Anonymousreply 50607/25/2013

Shirley Maclaine stabbed Carol Haney in the back.

by Anonymousreply 50707/25/2013

Article in the Times about moving "Here Lies Love" - very little on this thread about that show - has anyone seen it?

by Anonymousreply 50807/25/2013

R498. "that figure skater" that Elizabeth Seal replaced in Damn Yankees was none other than the divine movie star and glamorpuss Belita. Only Vera Hruba Ralston was more of a movie star!

by Anonymousreply 50907/25/2013

Belita was no Pat Kirkwood.

by Anonymousreply 51007/25/2013

Dorothy Loudon stabbed Kathleen Chailfat's girlfriend in the back while donating Rory a new liver!

by Anonymousreply 51107/25/2013

Chewin' the Chalifat.

by Anonymousreply 51207/25/2013

...Which means we've come full circle from the last Gossip Thread to Michael Arden's yet-to-be-seen nude photos. Well, girls how about it?

by Anonymousreply 51307/25/2013

Oh, they've been seen.

by Anonymousreply 51407/25/2013

If Dolores Gray's dragon mother had wanted her daughter to be called Dot, she would have named the orange lady Dorothy, not Dolores. Jeez....

by Anonymousreply 51507/25/2013

Watching UK broadcast of Smash, Season 2 (Ep 02). Jeremy Jordan is a fug no-talent.

by Anonymousreply 51607/25/2013

I haven't seen it, R508, but THR's David Rooney loved it.

by Anonymousreply 51707/25/2013

R516. True, enough, but Jeremy isn't helped at all by some of the most perversely awful writing on any kind of screen in years. His character is such a whiner and a pouty lad, and Jordan can't proceed much beyond what little he's been given to work with.

by Anonymousreply 51807/25/2013

Gotta hurry. Prime Time will be rearing it ugly head any minute. Trooper Nathan is back in The Nance. Last night, while chewing up the scenery, he proceeded to fall and wreck his leg and foot. Tonight, ever game and full of diva work ethic, he's back in action. Congrats. Not since Jan Maxwell got run over by a van while toiling in Follies has there been such a heartwarming story about the show must go on, which many of today's babies don't grasp.

by Anonymousreply 51907/25/2013

"Article in the Times about moving "Here Lies Love" - very little on this thread about that show - has anyone seen it?"

Can't speak about the show but got the recordings of Here Lies Love (studio album), Matilda, Kinky books and the Cinderella revival from my local library (yeah, I'm a cheap bastard). Sweet Jesus, one measure of Richard Rodgers has more interest and invention than the other three duds put together. And HLL is particularly monotonous, with every song sounding exactly alike.

by Anonymousreply 52007/25/2013

The shhhhow musssht go on!

by Anonymousreply 52107/25/2013

r515

Note Diana Rigg's reference to Gray.

by Anonymousreply 52207/25/2013

Delighted to hear that "Merrily We Roll Along" will be available on Digital Theatre!

by Anonymousreply 52307/25/2013

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 52407/25/2013

The three guys behind "First Date" are all straight??? Imagine that!

by Anonymousreply 52507/25/2013

"According to Wiki, Elizabeth Seal was a big hit in the Carol Haney role in the LondonPajama Game and then as Lola in Damn Yankees. Sounds like she was ripe for fame in Irma."

Unfortunately, fame wasn't ripe for dear Elizabeth, was it?

by Anonymousreply 52607/25/2013

Elizabeth Seal was fired from A Chorus Line

by Anonymousreply 52707/25/2013

re: the FIRST DATE article:

Pour me a nice tall glass of that Alan Zachary!

by Anonymousreply 52807/25/2013

Well that would explain its boring blandness r525.

by Anonymousreply 52907/25/2013

Many thanks to Debbie Gravitte for posting on Facebook a shirtless photo of her insanely hot 18-year-old son Sam!

by Anonymousreply 53007/25/2013

Oh, come on, r530. I mean, really.

by Anonymousreply 53107/25/2013

r530

Your comment is useless without the link.

by Anonymousreply 53207/25/2013

Meh

by Anonymousreply 53307/25/2013

I do like the pic of Debbie as Rizzo in Grease.

by Anonymousreply 53407/25/2013

That's not Sam in that picture, r430, that's her older son, Charlie. Sam's pic is on his mom's FB page - and he has an even better one on his own FB page.

by Anonymousreply 53507/25/2013

This is the son I meant (article from the local paper).

by Anonymousreply 53607/25/2013

no shoulders, long neck

by Anonymousreply 53707/25/2013

[quote]Actually, the one I've always heard Chita was bitter about was Bye Bye Birdie. I'd say because that was the result of plain racism.'

I don't really think racism was involved in Chita's not getting Bye Bye Birdie. At the time it was cast and filmed in 1962, Dick Van Dyke had only Birdie and the first year of The DVD Show (which was a flop its first season) to his credit. It was risky, box office wise, giving him his part - and Ann-Margret was about to break out, but also not a known box office quantity - she had a small part in Pocketful of Miracles (carried by Glenn Ford, Bette Davis and Hope Lange), and State Fair was a huge flop.

So it was up to whoever was going to be Rosie to be their box office insurance - and that would not have been Chita. Of course, Ann-Margret became a gigantic star with the movie and DVD's own show began to move up the ratings in its second season and it probably would have been a big hit without Chita - but no one could have foreseen that in the spring/summer of '62, when Birdie was cast and filmed.

by Anonymousreply 53807/25/2013

"Nathan Lane hurt last night--evidently stepped off turntable set wrongly. Understudy finished the show.

Of course the trouper wants to do on tonight, pending approval of physical therapist."

Wouldn't YOU rush back to work if your job description included staring at my gorgeous cock?

by Anonymousreply 53907/25/2013

OMG this thread is nearly over and no word about Faith prince's career-pending performance in ANNIE!?

by Anonymousreply 54007/25/2013

What does "career pending" even mean?

by Anonymousreply 54107/25/2013

I'm sure Nathan does more than just stare at it when Jonny visits him in the solitude of his dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 54207/26/2013

replacement #3...wow poor Faith, she has become the new Loni Ackerman.

by Anonymousreply 54307/26/2013

I feel like this thread never really started, somehow.

But I still love you guys.

by Anonymousreply 54407/26/2013

we love you too, Karen....even if your titties are tiny.

by Anonymousreply 54507/26/2013

There were a few choice bits here and there - I mean, discussion of Frederick Weller's big balls and Jonny Orsini's beautiful dick are always mentally stimulating, and there was the surprise of all the negative reports on Cradle Will Rock and then the rave reviews, but basically the summer blahs have set in. It's too hot, and it takes too much effort to really dig for the dirt.

by Anonymousreply 54607/26/2013

KZ! Fred Weller's small penis would be the perfect size to titty-fuck your tiny breasts! You should look into that!

by Anonymousreply 54707/26/2013

Faith looking a little blowzy on that Broadway.com interview. And thick, high heeled flip-flops?

But she's funny, and looks great in the pics for Annie.

If Paul Wontorek lost about 30 pounds, he'd be really cute.

by Anonymousreply 54907/26/2013

Thanks for the left-handed compliment, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 55007/26/2013

Did Nathan get a Standing O when he made his entrance in The Nance last night? Inquiring minds want to know...

by Anonymousreply 55107/26/2013

No, but Jonny Orsini displayed a semi.

by Anonymousreply 55207/26/2013

Point taken, R318. But that doesn't explain his face.

by Anonymousreply 55307/26/2013

I haven't even noticed a thing written about Faith on the Broadway chat boards.

Funny how Victoria Clark was her understudy in Guys and Dolls and now Vicky is the major Broadway star originating roles.

by Anonymousreply 55407/26/2013

"Career pending" means Faith's performance in Annie will determine the fate of the rest of her career. Her career is de-pending on it.

by Anonymousreply 55507/26/2013

[quote]there was the surprise of all the negative reports on Cradle Will Rock and then the rave reviews

Why was that a surprise? People here routinely trash almost everything.

by Anonymousreply 55607/26/2013

[quote] "Career pending" means Faith's performance in Annie will determine the fate of the rest of her career.

What frickin' career? she lives in SACRAMENTO now.

by Anonymousreply 55707/26/2013

The Gravittes seem like a lovely family.

by Anonymousreply 55807/26/2013

How was Stephen DeRosa when he went on for Nathan? I think he is great as Eddy Cantor in Boardwalk Empire. Although, I guess if he is working on a Broadway show while they are shooting BE, he must not be in the new season.

Anyone see him?javascript:submitPost();

by Anonymousreply 55907/26/2013

I want Debbie G's son

by Anonymousreply 56007/26/2013

Orion Griffiths out of Pippin for a month, due to injury!Save your money 'till he returns.

by Anonymousreply 56107/26/2013

Was he injured in the show?

And I volunteer to bathe his wounds.

by Anonymousreply 56207/26/2013

Just received a message from his Facebook with the news. And promising to be back.

by Anonymousreply 56307/26/2013

I love you KZ!

by Anonymousreply 56407/26/2013

We can listen to YANK and YANK over and over again!!

by Anonymousreply 56507/26/2013

Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you Miss Karen Olivo, live from Wisconsin:

by Anonymousreply 56607/26/2013

Could I ask our generous, beloved Theatre Gossip thread starter to please start a new Raul (and his tbcjscpctscroc) thread Part IV, please? We're at 593 posts and counting and will be ready for a new thread very shortly.

by Anonymousreply 56707/26/2013

Carolee Carmello spotted at Tutti Fruitti on 8th avenue tonight with who appeared to be her new boyfriend. They were holding and petting each other. He's a scruffy old guy. They both had motorcycle helmets and looked in love.

by Anonymousreply 56807/26/2013

[quote]Career pending" means Faith's performance in Annie will determine the fate of the rest of her career

You can't possibly believe that stupid comment you made? Her career hardly depends on Annie. Everyone already knows that it's a crappy production, that Katie was awful, and that Lynch was only In It for the name value.

Even if Faith is brilliant - which she might be, it's in her sweet spot - she won't be able to save this sinking ship. The show, at least in this version, is looking creaky, drab and unfunny next to the kid-friendly Mathilda and Pippin.

A success for her in this role would be keeping it open for the full length of her six-month contract.

by Anonymousreply 56907/26/2013

Did Gregg Edelmann finally come out?

by Anonymousreply 57007/27/2013

r567, I am in the giving vein today

by Anonymousreply 57107/27/2013

I still can't dance peoples!

by Anonymousreply 57207/27/2013

why is it always "peoples"?

by Anonymousreply 57307/27/2013

R570, come out as what? Gregg is the most boring straight guy ever. Very sweet, but definitely not gay.

by Anonymousreply 57407/27/2013

Could NYMF have been any worse? Why do they entrust the reading of scripts to 20 year olds who have no concept of what makes a good play. They wouldn't know a good script if it bit them in their asses. They have no knowledge of theater history beyond Avenue Q and Spring Awakening. They wouldn't know Moss Hart from pete moss (nor do they care). Their society consists of no one but gays, fag hags, and drama queens. These "readers" are a generation that grew up HATING READING and cannot concentrate on one thing for more than eight seconds. Their idea of humor is purely the scatological. Irony? Duh. What's dat?? And yet these are the ones who are entrusted to pass along the best scripts. Good God, is it a wonder NYMF is a steaming pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 57507/27/2013

Fuck you, R573.

by Anonymousreply 57607/27/2013

Almost 1800 posts on Raul? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 57707/27/2013

Any gossip on "The Glass Menagerie" yet? It is to have a short run but I think it is playing far too early in that some folks might forget about it come awards season.

by Anonymousreply 57807/27/2013

r575, I agree with you but then who do you think would be appropriate readers for the 100s of script submissions who'd be willing to read all that shit?

by Anonymousreply 57907/27/2013

"They wouldn't know Moss Hart from pete moss"

I LOVED Pete Moss in Look After Lulu!

by Anonymousreply 58007/27/2013

Very telling that Karen Olivo's tweet after seeing the transferred MURDER BALLAD left out one significant cast member:

[quote] Following Murder Ballad, she tweeted the cast and said, "‪@conjohnlee ‪@Rebeccasername ‪@CaissieLevy ‪@MurderBallad Last night was dirty, sexy, unsettling and Rockstar caliber! Thank you!!!"

No wonder she had to go all the way to Wisconsin. It sort of rhymes with his name...

by Anonymousreply 58107/27/2013

What makes Here Lies Love so successful is not the score (boring disco - all the songs have pretty much the same techno-synch beat) or the performances (also boring, one-dimensional, and Jose Llana really needs to hit the gym a lot more if he's going to be taking his shirt off onstage), but the staging. The audience stands for the 90 minutes and the staging is "promenade" style - moving platforms, ramps and staircases - the audience must move from place to place on the floor (there are ushers in orange jumpsuits to guide you) while the performing space keeps changing.

That's why there's such trouble moving the show - they need to find a non-traditional space that can be flexible enough for the staging. The space at the Public held only 200 per night, which is financially unfeasible for a commercial run. And after the environmental staging of Murder Ballad didn't translate from MTC to Union Square, transferring HLL is a doubly risky proposition.

by Anonymousreply 58207/27/2013

But where did you get him from, Audra?

by Anonymousreply 58307/27/2013

R371: I have read that Dorothy Loudon had it in her contracts that she would ALWAYS wear her wedding ring in shows, covering it up with a bandaid if her character was not married. I have a friend who knew her husband and said yes, he was a wonderful, wonderful guy.

R422 or anyone: did you see "LIve with Kelly and Michael" yesterday?(not sure if was a rerun?) the 4 little girls who play/share "Matilda" performed a number; Kelly said "hello!" to each one in a hideous attempt at an ENglish acccent, then asked "what part of England are you all from"?; the first little girl said, "Westchester." Took idiot Kelly a few seconds to realize the girl means Westchester, NY; turns out they were ALL American and have a dialect coach for the part.

Christ on a cross, that dumb bitch Kelly is 10 times more stupid than Kathy Lee!

R540(I think?): I too would love to hear how Faith Prince is in Annie; can't anyone tell us? please?

by Anonymousreply 58407/27/2013

Did Will Swenson's timid penis drive Olivio insane?

by Anonymousreply 58507/27/2013

Nathan doesn't enter at the start of The Nance. He's already on stage.

by Anonymousreply 58607/27/2013

All right, smart ass R586, so he couldn't very well have gotten a Standing O. But did he get some special acknowledgment? Or were you at the Palace to see how Faith was faring?

by Anonymousreply 58707/27/2013

Dorothy Loudon broke up a happy marriage while on The Garry Moore Show.

She was sleeping with the director.

by Anonymousreply 58807/27/2013

Surprising Stephen Moyer, Beeel from "True Blood" as Billy Flynn this weekend at the Hollywood Bowl. They had ten days to learn and put it on. It appears director Brooke Shields did a fabulous job. Scroll a little down for more clips.

by Anonymousreply 58907/27/2013

I thought Dorothy Loudon had to wait a very long time to marry Norman Paris because he was already married. But wasn't he a musician, not a director?

by Anonymousreply 59007/27/2013

He was a music director

by Anonymousreply 59107/27/2013

This thread is almost done and NO ONE has seen Faith Prince in this terrible ANNIE???

by Anonymousreply 59207/27/2013

I like Faith, but I wouldn't go to Annie unless I were comped. Maybe not even then.

by Anonymousreply 59307/27/2013

I was comped during previews, and left at intermission. This production is joyless and soulless.

Wouldn't go back for anything, just curious as to how FP's doing.

by Anonymousreply 59407/27/2013

I'm going to see ANNIE next week - I insisted on waiting until that Real Little Housewife of New Jersey, Lilla Crawford, has left the show for good. I'm hoping her replacement doesn't sound like Fran Drescher...

by Anonymousreply 59507/27/2013

Hate to break it to you R595, but the Brooklyn accents were a directorial choice. I'm sure the new Annie will have it too.

by Anonymousreply 59607/27/2013

How about a revival of "Ladies At The Alamo"? With all the Hannigan replacements!

by Anonymousreply 59707/27/2013

Was Moyer any good r589?

by Anonymousreply 59807/27/2013

Or "The Female Odd Couple"?

Jane Lynch as Florence, Faith Prince as Olive, and Katie Finneran, Liz McCartney, and Jane Blass as some of the poker buddies?

by Anonymousreply 59907/27/2013

600 and no news of Faith Prince!

by Anonymousreply 60007/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.