Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

TV Star, Oscar Winner

Who on television do you think is so great an actor, you could imagine him/her winning an Oscar?

I'm going Edie Falco.

by Anonymousreply 5407/13/2013

Mandy Patinkin.

by Anonymousreply 107/12/2013

hee hee

by Anonymousreply 207/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 307/12/2013

Maureen McCormick. that football to the nose scene gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 407/12/2013

There isn't a real difference between film and television acting, it isn't like theater or something. Anyone who turns in an incredible performance on TV could turn in an incredible performance in a movie if they were cast in the right role.

The simple truth is there is just incredibly more meaty roles in TV than in movies. Many people in TV would just never get a chance to show what they could do because inevitably only a few actors in every movie are actually given a chance to shine and they usually have to be a certain "type".

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2013

Bryan Cranston.

by Anonymousreply 607/12/2013

OP there are many actors who have done tv series, currently or very recently, who are oscar winners: Holly Hunter, Jon Voight, Anna Paquin, Kevin Spacey, Geena Davis, Sally Field, Jessica Lange, Jeremy Irons, Linda Hunt, Kathy Bates, Marlee Matlin, Ellen Burstyn, F. Murray Abraham, Jane Fonda, Melissa Leo, Angelika Huston, Dianne Wiest, Maggie Smith, Mary Steenburgen,

And many others such as Sigourney Weaver, Glenn Close, and Laura Linney who have been frequent oscar nominees and most likely will be again.

by Anonymousreply 707/12/2013

OK trivia fans....who won Oscars while on a TV series!!!! Go!!!

by Anonymousreply 807/12/2013

ehem... excuse me....

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2013

Jane Elliot who plays "Tracy" on "General Hospital," Ellen Barkin was sublime on "The New Normal" and Lana Parilla on "Once Upon A Time," as bad as "The Evil Queen" can be in a flash she can break your heart with her love for her son.

by Anonymousreply 1007/12/2013

[quote]OK trivia fans....who won Oscars while on a TV series!!!! Go!!!

The only one that comes to mind is Helen Hunt. She also won the Emmy for Best Actress in a Comedy Series that year. Her 3rd one in a row, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2013

R8 writes,

I can name three right away, R8.

But I'll let others step up.

[italic]Hint:[/italic] There is one who whose series is still airing.

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2013

I was also thinking of "special guest star" Cloris Leachman in MTM.

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2013

Melissa "fucking" Leo

by Anonymousreply 1407/12/2013

Walt Disney

by Anonymousreply 1507/12/2013

Laura Linney

by Anonymousreply 1607/12/2013

[quote]I was also thinking of "special guest star" Cloris Leachman in MTM.

Not sure if I have my Oscar stats totally correct but I think Leachman made history as the first person to win an Oscar while simultaneously appearing on a TV series (MTM) whereas Helen Hunt made history as the first person to win a LEADING Oscar while simultaneously appearing on a TV series (Mad About You).

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2013

Btw, I think Hunt may have also made history as the first (or is it only?) person to win an Oscar, an Emmy, and a Golden Globe all in the same year.

by Anonymousreply 1807/12/2013

Jon Hamm

by Anonymousreply 1907/12/2013

Olivia Colman.

by Anonymousreply 2007/12/2013

Margo Martindale

by Anonymousreply 2107/12/2013

The ever talented and most lovely, Miss Tara Reid.

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2013

Aaron Paul

by Anonymousreply 2307/13/2013

Jon Hamm definitely. Also January Jones, she's criminally under-rated.

by Anonymousreply 2407/13/2013

[quote]Btw, I think Hunt may have also made history as the first (or is it only?) person to win an Oscar, an Emmy, and a Golden Globe all in the same year.

Liza Minnelli won an Oscar and a Golden Globe (and BAFTA) for CABARET at the 1973 Oscars, and later that year won the Emmy for LIZA WITH A "Z."

by Anonymousreply 2507/13/2013

Archie Panjabi

Alan Cumming

by Anonymousreply 2607/13/2013

Melissa Leo should have won for Frozen River. He's probably too unknown outside of Australia, but David Wenham is talented enough to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 2707/13/2013

please r27 talent has nothing to do with Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 2807/13/2013

I laughed so hard when I saw January Jones that I'm literally crying. She's good at Betty because she is Betty, not because she's a good actress. Bitch couldn't even manage a minor role in a superhero movie without stinking up the place.

by Anonymousreply 2907/13/2013

R28 but Gwyneth won for Shakespeare.... Oh, point taken.

by Anonymousreply 3007/13/2013

January Jones was the worst SNL host evah!!!! She actually asked "which camera do I look into" at one!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3107/13/2013

January Jones win an Oscar? Is there a best cocksucker category?(I;m figuring there must be SOME reason she has a career; yes, is effective as "Betty" in MM, but I imagine that's lucky typecasting.)

R10, thank you SO much for mentioning Jane Elliott! I have love, loved, LOVED her since the 80's, in Guiding Light.

(yes, I'm old!)

by Anonymousreply 3207/13/2013

Miles Heizer from "Parenthood" will be nominated for an actor because the two actors who played his (equivalent) character in the previous versions of "Parenthood" eventually were nominated: Joaquin Phoenix (movie) and Leonardo diCaprio (TV series).

by Anonymousreply 3307/13/2013

Peter Dinklage Edie Falco Bryan Cranston Laura Dern (been nominated before) Mary-Louise Parker

by Anonymousreply 3407/13/2013

Peter Dinklage should have been nominated for "The Station Agent."

by Anonymousreply 3507/13/2013

Jean Smart is great in everything she's in. Call me crazy, but Khandi Alexander from News Radio and CSI is a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 3607/13/2013

R35, Dinklage was boring in STATION AGENT. He did nothing but mope the entire movie. Bobby Cannavale should've been nominated instead.

by Anonymousreply 3707/13/2013

[quote]Who on television do you think is so great an actor, you could imagine him/her winning an Oscar?

Mystery guest, do you have a PIK-chah opening on Broadway soon? Have you evah worked in the legitimate theatah? Do you sing and dah-nce?

by Anonymousreply 3807/13/2013

[quote]Is there a best cocksucker category?

The awards already take four hours. Reading the nominee list would take as long as reciting the 9/11 dead.

by Anonymousreply 3907/13/2013

Times ticking on this one but Tyne Daly.

by Anonymousreply 4007/13/2013

Clare Danes

by Anonymousreply 4107/13/2013

Laura Linney.

by Anonymousreply 4207/13/2013

[quote]Hint: There is one who whose series is still airing.

Jessica Lange.

by Anonymousreply 4307/13/2013

R43, the OP said "who won an Oscar WHILE on a TV series." Lange wasn't on a TV series when she won either of her Oscars.

The only two I could think of have been mentioned already -- Cloris Leachman (on MTM SHOW 1970-1975, won Oscar for LAST PICTURE SHOW in 1972) and Helen Hunt (on MAD ABOUT YOU 1992-1999, won Oscar for AS GOOD AS IT GETS in 1998). According to the OP, there's a third one, but I can't think of him/her for the life of me.

by Anonymousreply 4407/13/2013

Honey Boo Boo Chile?

by Anonymousreply 4507/13/2013

Thank you, R25. I truly wasn't sure about that last one.

by Anonymousreply 4607/13/2013

It's Mo'Nique, the 2009 supporting-actress Oscar winner for [italic]Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' By Sapphire[/italic]. Oscar struck while she was doing her BET program.

I can also say that Lee Grant, the 1975 supporting-actress Oscar winner for [italic]Shampoo[/italic], prevailed while starring on her ill-fated NBC comedy series [italic]Fay[/italic], which aired only during the 1975-76 season. It garnered her an Emmy nomination for lead actress in a comedy series. ([italic]Fay[/italic]'s final episode aired in June 1976. The Oscars were presented on March 29, 1976.)

[bold][/italic]To get back to the topic:[/italic][/bold]

Who among TV stars is so great at acting that you can imagine him/her winning an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 4707/13/2013

Damn, OP, you are good! Though I certainly remember the great Lee Grant and that she won an Oscar, and yes I remember FAY, I had no idea these things occurred at the same time. And it's weird because anytime I've ever read anything, either on DL or elsewhere, about this subject (TV stars who win Oscars) only two names are consistently mentioned (Leachman and Hunt) and never a word about Grant (or even Mo'Nique for that matter). Maybe because Grant was known primarily as a film actress before she did FAY whereas Leachman, Hunt and Mo'Nique were known primarily for TV? I don't know, that's just a guess.

Anyway, great work, Sherlock!

by Anonymousreply 4807/13/2013

Oh, and to get back to your topic, OP, I would submit Kristen Wiig.

by Anonymousreply 4907/13/2013

[quote]the OP said "who won an Oscar WHILE on a TV series."

Um, bitches, helloooooo.....

Hello, Dammit!! Don't let my fish-lips scare you....

by Anonymousreply 5007/13/2013

It's easier to be good in a film than it is to be good on tv. The pace of tv (and sometimes the inconsistent or inferior writing for characters, though that's more of a broadcast thing) gives the actor less time to come up with a good performance. A lot of actors who do mediocre work on tv are probably capable of great work in films and plenty of "film stars" who are great in films move into tv and are awful.

by Anonymousreply 5107/13/2013

No one has ever had less talent than January Jones with the possible exception of Pia Zadora.

by Anonymousreply 5207/13/2013

I'm a big January Jones fan too. She is an amazing understated actress. One of TV drama's finest.

by Anonymousreply 5307/13/2013

January is so understated you sometimes have to look closely to see if she's breathing. A real zero.

by Anonymousreply 5407/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!