Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why are the baby boomers ignored?

If you look at all the popular movies these days, almost all of them are for teenagers or people in their late teens. That raises the question: since the baby boomers outnumber the younger generation, why aren't there more movies devoted to them?

Most famous actors and actress are now under the age of 30. Anyone find this surprising?

by Anonymousreply 4507/13/2013

I'm under the age of 30 and I don't like any of the actorss in this age range. Most of the actors I favor are in the late 40s to early 60s.

I'll take a 50 year old actress over any of these flash in the pan actors.

by Anonymousreply 107/12/2013

Erm, because baby boomers are oooooooold? Old people are not as pretty as young people nor do they frequent the cinema as much.

by Anonymousreply 207/12/2013

Baby boomers are too busy screaming "Get off of my lawn!" to pay much attention to movies.

by Anonymousreply 307/12/2013

Same as r1

by Anonymousreply 407/12/2013

test post

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2013

Young people go to the movies far more often than older people.

by Anonymousreply 607/12/2013

Older people tend to stay at home and watch tv.

by Anonymousreply 707/12/2013

What r7 said.

by Anonymousreply 807/12/2013

"Most famous actors and actress are now under the age of 30."

Quite the opposite. There are few to no real "movie stars" under the age of 30. Who opens a movie under 30?

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2013

Movies? How quaint. The real action is on cable TV.

by Anonymousreply 1007/12/2013

OP? Baby boomers are about 60. Gen Xers are in their 30s and 40s. Pop culture has been chasing the youth demographic for about 60 years. Write this all down and memorize it.

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2013

Older people go to the movies when younger people aren't around. Most of them don't go to the big blockbuster movies but if they do it's not on weekends and definitely not soon after a movie opens.

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2013

Death to Gen Xers.

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2013

You go out on a date, you go to a movie.

Baby Boomers are done with dating. They've either settled down with someone or given up.

by Anonymousreply 1407/12/2013

I retired at 58 (I'm 60 now) and thought I'd start going to a lot more movies once I stopped working. But I really haven't done it too much for several reasons:

1. I don't like most of the blockbuster/comic book hero movies. (I didn't much care for them when I was younger.

2. I like to see smaller, independent films, but they usually don't stay too long, and they're also the kind of films that usually don't need a big theater for the best experience anyway.

3. Too many annoying people using cell phones, talking, etc. Although it's usually not as bad at a matinée during the week (and when school is in session.)

4. Hassle of traffic, parking, etc. I'll put up with it for live theater, but since I can watch movies on a big screen at home, it has to be something special to get me out of the house.

by Anonymousreply 1507/12/2013

I won't be ignored, Dan.

by Anonymousreply 1607/12/2013

They are old.

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2013

Marketers go for younger people for a few reasons:

1. Younger people are not set in their ways. Older people already have a preference for Coke or Pepsi.

2. Older people have "been there and done that." The flavor of the week is not as appealing after so many hundreds of weeks.

3. Younger people are more influenced by their peers.

4. Older people are more skeptical about spending money, because it's no longer seen as an infinite commodity.

5. Younger people have a potential for being more long-term customers. They'll eventually be set in their ways, and there's a dividend to be one of those "ways."

Baby boomers are far away from falling into the category of "younger people." Marketing to them doesn't provide a lot of bang for the buck.

Of course, the really sad thing is the fact that the target consumer for most marketeers, particularly in the entertainment industry, is the 9-year-old girl.

by Anonymousreply 1807/12/2013

I stopped going to the movies when they stopped making movies that appealed to me.

I remember one afternoon in the early 90s thinking I'd love to chill out and see a film and every poster in front of the multiplex had a guy holding a gun. So...I got the message.

Then came the ghastly chick flicks...

by Anonymousreply 1907/12/2013

R18 What you said may be true, but applies more to advertiser-supported media like TV and magazines than it does to movies.

by Anonymousreply 2007/12/2013

Those were theories advertisers believed at one time, probably because they fell for bullshit. The theories have been debunked.

Guess who has the disposable income in our society? Seniors, not 9 year old girls.

by Anonymousreply 2107/12/2013

Movies for the 50+ crowd sneak in every now and then and become hits ... the streep, martin movie and the jack nicholso/keaton one

Disney quit princess movies because they have to cater to larger audience (boys). The movies with female leads have to be adventurous etc. The demos who go to movies are catered too.

The world doesn't revolve around boomers. The movie theatre industry revolved around them when they were more apt to go to movies (younger)

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2013

[quote]Younger people are not set in their ways. Older people already have a preference for Coke or Pepsi.

Ain't that the truth! Have you ever seen old people in a restaurant when it doesn't have something they want? They get visibly pissed. Younger people will just take whatever is offered.

by Anonymousreply 2307/12/2013

R21, it's a whole new generation of teenagers with regards to disposable income. All Skylar or Britneigh have to do is ask their helicopter parents for whatever they want, and it's theirs. $50 to go to the movies? Sure, here you go.

by Anonymousreply 2407/12/2013

You've been hanging around McDonald's too much, R24. I know too many flexible baby boomers to believe that.

by Anonymousreply 2507/12/2013

They don't go to movies and when they do, they don't go to movies with older actors. Hollywood would make the movies if the market were there, but it's not.

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2013

They entertain the person you want to be.

A movie portrays conflicts faced by people who are prettier, younger, fitter, richer, and have more interesting lives than you; there's a team of writers to guarantee it.

In Movieland, there are no real estate taxes, strange aches, days when the dick doesn't want to wake up, health plans, 401ks, or slowly dying parents and friends.

It's why you pay to watch.

by Anonymousreply 2707/12/2013

Then why were Driving Miss Daisy and The Help such hits r27?

by Anonymousreply 2807/12/2013

1. Audiences were led to believe Morgan would plough Jessica doggy style

2. Audiences wanted to see what it was like to have help

by Anonymousreply 2907/12/2013

R20--Older people still like movies, and would probably go to them. However, theaters these days show cartoons.

So I think you have a point. As far as movies go, they're not marketed so much to 9-year-old girls as they are to 11-year-old boys

by Anonymousreply 3007/12/2013

Baby Boomers have never been ignored.

Think of it this way: in 1973, "American Graffiti" premiered. It was a nostalgic look back on the formative years of the Baby Boom generation, and they haven't stopped with the self-referential nostalgia since.

Vietnam. Woodstock. Bob Dylan. The Rolling Stones. The Beatles. The past few decades have been dominated by entertainment devoted to Boomers, and even now movies about them still pop up. It's so well-documented that you could probably figure out what John Lennon ate for breakfast at any given day in 1968.

I'm in my thirties, and my generation hasn't obsessed over Kurt Cobain. No filmmaker from the millennial generation has yet made a wistful look back at growing up during the Clinton years. So saying that Hollywood ignores the Boomer generation is like saying that E! Entertainment ignores the Kardashian family.

by Anonymousreply 3107/12/2013

R23 - I work in higher ed.

Young people don't take whatever they are offered.

They phone their parents and ask them what to do.

Not being able to make a decision shouldn't be confused with being flexible.

by Anonymousreply 3207/12/2013

R32 they don't call their parents and ask what movies they should see.

by Anonymousreply 3307/13/2013

R32 - spend a week on a college campus. They do.

by Anonymousreply 3407/13/2013

[quote]Baby boomers are about 60. Gen Xers are in their 30s and 40s. Write this all down and memorize it.

Actually only part right.

Late 50's to late 70s = Boomers Early 30s to early 50s = Gen X 10 to 30s = Gen Y or Millennial 0s to 10 = Gen Z

Boomers = The ME generation, self indulgent, sucked up all of the benefits of society from cradle to grave without any repercussions or sense of responsibility to give back. Born with the first Credit Card. Most CEO's are Boomers.

Gen - X = the first generation to get screwed and not have an outlook better then their parents. Cleaning up Boomers messes while living off Boomer scraps. Born with a TV. Most are still struggling.

Gen - Y = Spawn of the Boomers, the most narcissistic generation in history. Born with a Computer and Internet. Most are going back to school.

Gen - Z = Born with an iPhone, Black President, Gay Rights and Parents on Facebook. Most will live to the age of 150.

by Anonymousreply 3507/13/2013

Oops, damn no formatting here:

Late 50's to late 70s = Boomers

Early 30s to early 50s = Gen X

10 to 30s = Gen Y or Millennial

0s to 10 = Gen Z

by Anonymousreply 3607/13/2013

r7 No, I think older people stay at home since most movies focus on young people. It is a catch-22.

by Anonymousreply 3707/13/2013

Boomers had 60 fucking years in the spotlight, and boy did they hog it. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 3807/13/2013

I love how you little bitches whine about the Boomers. I'm 55, and if I manage to get Social Security, it'll be a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 3907/13/2013

People in their 70s are not Boomers, R36. The oldest Boomers (post-War Baby Boom, get it?) were born in 1946.

I'm a Boomer and I went to a lot of movies through the 1990s but now I just use Netflix. I have no interest in superhero movies and never have, even when I was young. It also has to do with the rise of quality cable shows over the past 10 years. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Justified - it seems to me that TV is getting smarter and movies are getting dumber.

by Anonymousreply 4007/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 4107/13/2013

[all posts by flame bait troll #11 removed (violent racist homophobic right-wing misogynist), ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 4207/13/2013

The vast majority of movies are marketed to boys, not girls.

by Anonymousreply 4307/13/2013

[quote]Those were theories advertisers believed at one time, probably because they fell for bullshit. The theories have been debunked. Guess who has the disposable income in our society? Seniors, not 9 year old girls.

Oh please.

Who is more worth marketing to, a stubborn senior who is so stuck in his ways he won't listen anyway and is going to die soon ... or a 9-year-old just learning to become a consumer with her whole life ahead of her?

This is Marketing 101.

by Anonymousreply 4407/13/2013

Baby Boomers ignored? Laugh my fucking ass off. You've been coddled to for your entire lives.

You've been everything BUT ignored. The reality is that the Baby Boomer's Baby Boom (80's early 90's) are the ones who are young and driving the pop culture market.

But the original baby boomers still have a lot being thrown at them. Much more so than previous generations at the same age.

by Anonymousreply 4507/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!