Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Female ROCK singers. Real ones.

Like, actually rock singers. Not those wimpy folky, soft-rock Joni Mitchell wannabes.

Who are your favorites and why?

I will always love Debbie Harry. She was truly a tough, streetwise, yet sexy and sultry rock singer.

Joan Jett, of course. Not the greatest singing voice, but effective for the kind of music she does. She was also tough and did everything against the odds.

I liked Courtney Love until she went off the rails. I know she's a cunt and had a LOT of help but Live Through This and Celebrity Skin are great rock albums.

by Anonymousreply 18608/24/2013

Tina Turner

She is the queen of Rock!

by Anonymousreply 107/12/2013

Wendy O. Williaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmssssssssss!!!

by Anonymousreply 207/12/2013

Grace Slick - the crazy bitch. She could hang with the rock boys. Speaking of which - Janis Joplin - she actually out-did the rock boys.

Both of those women more than held their own as "real" rockers.

Chrissie Hynde wasn't bad either.

by Anonymousreply 307/12/2013

Ann Wilson can still put most other pop/rock vocalists to shame.

by Anonymousreply 407/12/2013

OK, a few things.

First: Joni Mitchell is fucking awesome. Yes, she had a few folky, weepy early albums, but a lot of her later stuff is badass.

I love Courtney too. She's fucked up, but monsters are made, not born, and I see the vulnerability in her eyes.

Chrissie Hynde is amazing. So is Marianne Faithfull.

And Ann Wilson sang the FUCK out of Stairway to Heaven at that Kennedy Center Honors. That was six months ago and I *still* cry when I hear it. She can go on with her big healthy sixty two year old snatch!

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2013

Oh, and speaking of bitches that can sing a cover of a song and walk away with the whole fucking house:

Bettye LaVette, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 607/12/2013

Why'dya do it, she said

Why'd you spit on my snatch?

ARE WE OUT OF LOVE NOW?

IS THIS JUST A BAAAAAD PAAAATCH???

by Anonymousreply 707/12/2013

[quote]First: Joni Mitchell is fucking awesome. Yes, she had a few folky, weepy early albums, but a lot of her later stuff is badass.

I agree. I love Joni Mitchell. Total genius. It's her imitators (wannabes) that can be kind of irritating. I'm looking at you, Sarah McLachlan, and your fucking songs about Angels.

by Anonymousreply 807/12/2013

Exene Cervenka ROCKS!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2013

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 1007/12/2013

Another vote for Ann Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2013

[quote]I liked Courtney Love until she went off the rails.

Oh honey, she was never on the rails.

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2013

I saw Heart in concert last year and they were amazing. There was this moment during "Alone" where Ann had this look on her face and you could tell she had the audience right where she wanted them and then she went in for the kill and the entire arena erupted in cheers of ecstasy.

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2013

Stevie Nicks. I saw Fleetwood Mac a couple of weeks ago and she still rocks -- they all, except Christine McVie, who is retired.

by Anonymousreply 1407/12/2013

Janis still inspires after all these years. Check out this year's winner of The Voice in Poland.

I love her winding down from the performance.

by Anonymousreply 1507/12/2013

[quote]Stevie Nicks.

She was great once, but her voice is shot.

by Anonymousreply 1607/12/2013

R13, I just watched this and there isn't an inch of me not covered in goosebumps.

That she still has that voice almost 30 years after Alone, and 40 years after Heart's first album, is amazing beyond words.

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2013

Ann Wilson owns this thread. Her voice aged wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 1807/12/2013

Really, it took until r4 to mention Ann Wilson???

by Anonymousreply 1907/12/2013

+1 for Stevie, plus Siouxsie Sioux and Kazu Makino from Blonde Redhead (see video).

by Anonymousreply 2107/12/2013

Chrissie Hynde

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2013

PJ Harvey, Shirley Manson, Beth Ditto,

by Anonymousreply 2307/12/2013

Op if you like Courtney Love as I do, I hope you have Hole's Nobody's Daughter. The album is just as good as her and Hole's others. Love that album, still listen to it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2407/12/2013

Janis Joplin makes all other women in rock sound like little girls.

Gives the lie to R20's post.

by Anonymousreply 2507/12/2013

Chrissie Hynde owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2013

Prince

by Anonymousreply 2707/12/2013

Sorry, but Janis Joplin is one of the most overrated artists ever to exist.

She was talented, but very samey-samey with her music, and her death has given her an aura she may not have attained otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 2807/12/2013

R27, Chrissie Hynde does not own this thread but she certainly belongs here.

by Anonymousreply 2907/12/2013

Ann Wilson. Grace Slick. Chrissie Hynde.

by Anonymousreply 3007/12/2013

Karen O

by Anonymousreply 3107/12/2013

Why no love for Tina Turner?

by Anonymousreply 3207/12/2013

Karen Carpenter.

Toni Tennille.

Helen Reddy.

by Anonymousreply 3307/12/2013

Pat Benetar & Tina Turner hold the Grammy record for winning the Female Rock Award 4 years in a row.

Why no love for these two divas?

by Anonymousreply 3407/12/2013

[quote]Chrissie Hynde

This thread is about best female rock singers, not biggest lushes.

by Anonymousreply 3507/12/2013

Hillary Duffus

by Anonymousreply 3607/12/2013

Joan Osborne is overlooked and underrated...

by Anonymousreply 3707/12/2013

Tina Turner was the very first reply, [R32] and [R34]

by Anonymousreply 3807/12/2013

Other women who have won the Female Grammy Rock Award

Bonnie Raitt, Alannah Myles, Melissa Etheridge, Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, Lucinda Williams and Pink.

Since Pink and her 2004 win, the female rock category has been discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 3907/12/2013

Stevie Nicks holds the record for the most Grammy Rock nominations without a win, with five.

by Anonymousreply 4007/12/2013

Chrissie Hynde: one of the best voices in pop.

To the "I don't like female rock singers": go fuck yourself!

by Anonymousreply 4107/12/2013

If Chrissie Hynde is rock why has she never won the Rock grammy?

by Anonymousreply 4207/12/2013

Shirley Manson

by Anonymousreply 4307/12/2013

Really, it took until r34 to come up with Pat Benetar???

by Anonymousreply 4407/12/2013

R44 Pat Benetar won the Rock Grammy FOUR YEARS IN A ROW!

If that doesn't make her the Queen of ROCK

I don't know what does.

by Anonymousreply 4507/12/2013

I am not going to argue any of the women mentioned so far. Love them all. Stevie, Ann, Joni, Chrissie, Tina, Marianne, Courtney and Siouxsie, Grace and Patti Smith are all the real deal. PJ, Beth Ditto and Benatar are stretching it a bit...

Janis Joplin certainly belongs. If she had not died at 27 she probably would have died at 28. Not the point.

Kozmic Blues. Joplin wrote this song. Rock singing is many things - confidence, abandon, anarchy, sex and soul and personal truth. Janis Joplin is not overrated. Ridiculous assertion. She is ONE of the greatest.

by Anonymousreply 4607/12/2013

[quote] Benatar are stretching it a bit...

Excuse me. She won the Grammy award for Rock

FOUR YEARS RUNNING!

From 1981 to 1984 no one could touch her.

by Anonymousreply 4707/12/2013

r45, I agree. She's the best female rocker I can recall. Hit after hit after hit. Magnificent voice. I couldn't believe it took 34 responses to this title to have her name show up.... Here's another of her gems..... listen to that rocking refrain!!!

by Anonymousreply 4807/12/2013

Beth Ditto

by Anonymousreply 4907/12/2013

Sleater-Kinney.

THHREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 5007/12/2013

[quote]THHREAD CLOSED

Quit that silly damn shit. Threads are only closed when everyone who wants to has finished posting in them.

by Anonymousreply 5107/12/2013

R1 closed the thread with Tina Turner. She's the best.

by Anonymousreply 5207/12/2013

Betty Davis, Makes Tina Turner look like a nun. Discover her:

by Anonymousreply 5307/12/2013

Grace Potter. She blew the roof off that Philly 4th of July concert with her version of Rock Steady.

by Anonymousreply 5407/12/2013

Had to drop in just to say ANN WILSON OWNS THIS THREAD.

by Anonymousreply 5507/12/2013

I saw Pat Benatar live a few years ago, and she still sounded great. It was a bit of a nostalgia show as many of the women mentioned here perform now, but even when she was at the height of her popularity she had an amazing vocal range with great tunes, a perfect combo.

by Anonymousreply 5607/12/2013

r20 it's possible but rare to have a good female rock singer.

Because rock is dominated by power and aggression women are at a technical disadvantage, but it doesn't make it impossible.

In fairness, 95% of the female singers today are hot-because men dominate the industry and sex sells. (I'm not saying they don't have some ability, BTW.)

There could be a ton of good, raw, powerful women who look like Janis who won't get a chance today.

Other names: Lee Aaron and Darby Mills

The woman from Halestorm too-I forgot her name

by Anonymousreply 5707/12/2013

Chrissie Hynde is my favorite. Shirley Manson is pretty damned good, too.

Janis Joplin, though, is in a category all to herself.

by Anonymousreply 5807/12/2013

Brenda Lee and Darlene Love. I've seen both in concert several times over the past 20 years and both blow anyone clear out of the water. What a testament to their might and muscle that they're both still on the stage with as much reign as they wre in the beginning. Brenda truly brings the pyrotechnics to the mic. She does a few difference genres on stage but really brings it home when she rocks. "Sweet Nothin's" is one of defining moments in chick rock-n-roll and Lee is one of the pioneers.

Darlene Love's voice is sheer power, period. Her voice is one of the highways that rock-n-roll took to glory, a true foundation. Seeing her live is a religious experience.

I also gotta give Poly Styrene the props she deserves. She just took the mic and ran like a cheetah after prey. Germ-Free Adolescents, one of my all-times! RIP Poly.

by Anonymousreply 5907/13/2013

Don't forget about me! I 'm really popular in Europe

by Anonymousreply 6007/13/2013

R51, I think you need to change your pad.

by Anonymousreply 6107/13/2013

Nina Hagen, Karen O., Wanda Jackson, Lene Lovich

by Anonymousreply 6207/13/2013

Wendy O Williams ( RIP)

by Anonymousreply 6307/13/2013

If I believed in heaven, it would be Ann Wilson singing covers of Zep songs.

by Anonymousreply 6407/13/2013

Guys, the worst argument you can give for Pat Benatar is that she was the Grammy folks' idea of a rocker. Pia Zadora was up for a similar award, seriously.

Grammys were always THE most unhip awards in history. Very rarely in touch.

Benatar was a great singer -- but she was pure pop. "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"... rock and roll! Raw!

by Anonymousreply 6507/13/2013

Harumph!

No Patti Smith or Chrissy Amphlett? You lot are clueless.

Oh, I don't mean you, R53.

by Anonymousreply 6607/13/2013

Janis is the absolute Queen of Rock. Her voice is insane. She is to rock what Joni Mitchell is to folk.

Hynde, Benatar, Wilson, Nicks would be the next in line.

I would also add Kim Deal, Liz Phair (the beginning of her career), Maria Taylor, Kristin Hersh, PJ, Cat Power as worthy heirs.

by Anonymousreply 6707/13/2013

Tina, Stevie and Ann own this thread, bitches. It is now CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 6807/13/2013

[quote]Janis is the absolute Queen of Rock. Her voice is insane. She is to rock what Joni Mitchell is to folk.

Oh please.

Jackie Jormp Jomp.

by Anonymousreply 6907/13/2013

Patti Smith

by Anonymousreply 7007/13/2013

On PJ Harvey's first 3 albums, she rocked like no one else, man or woman.

Kristin Hersh with the Muses was amazing, her unnerving live performances where hypnotic and scary. She would stand there unblinking staring straight ahead like she was in some trance.

Tori around the time of Choirgirl was kick-ass.

Cat Power was just crazy on stage, I went to a couple of her gigs around the time of You Are Free, she never sang one full song, it was amazing but frustrating.

Shannon Wright live is spectacular, one of the best gigs ever. She was like a wild storm of emotion on stage.

by Anonymousreply 7107/13/2013

You know Donna Summer has a Grammy for Rock. And Barbra and Judy had been known to rock out on occasion. And then there's Janet, of course. She did "Black Cat" after all.

by Anonymousreply 7207/13/2013

One more vote for Ann Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 7307/13/2013

A few that haven't Ben mentioned yet: Kim Gordan, Allison Mosshart, Brody Dalle

by Anonymousreply 7407/13/2013

Chrissie Hynde

Anyone like Susan Tedeschi?

by Anonymousreply 7507/13/2013

If you never had the chance to see Janis live [and I realize most people are too young to have had that opportunity] you can't get the full impact of her.

If she hadn't been fucked up on drugs her recorded legacy would be much better. Janis was a folk singer before becoming a rock singer.

I knew a guy who knew here from Texas who said Janis had an amazingly versatile voice. If you hear her early folk recordings they are very different. He told me she had more power in the early days but she was drunk on stage most of the time and in the studio so nobody ever heard her at her best.

This guy told me she had perfect pitch and when young she could imitate almost any style of singing from light opera to musical comedy to folk "Rock" wasn't really around at the time he knew her in the early to mid 60's.

He also said she was very VERY smart but paranoid as hell probably suffering from some kind of personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 7607/13/2013

At the moment Annie Clarke ( St Vincent) is vicious live.

She is also a staggeringly brilliant guitar player.

by Anonymousreply 7707/13/2013

r75, love Tedeschi, but I've only heard her sing blues. I also love her husband, one of the most criminally under-rated guitarists, especially by the public (as is Robben Ford).

by Anonymousreply 7807/13/2013

Enya and Norah Jones!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7907/13/2013

this is r76 again. Might be interesting to relate what a producer who produced both Heart and Donna Summer told me.

He said Donna Summer had the most perfect pitch of any singer he every worked with. He also said Ann Wilson was an amazing singer and Nancy was one of the best musicians he worked with.

by Anonymousreply 8007/13/2013

HELLO? Linda freaking Ronstadt? She was the biggest selling female solo rock artist at one point.

by Anonymousreply 8107/13/2013

Agnetha and Anni-Frid

by Anonymousreply 8207/13/2013

When the OP asks for female ROCK singers, REAL ones I understand that to leave out perfect pitch POP belters like Donna Summer and Pat Benatar or chicks with guitars like Bonnie Raitt or Susan Tedeschi, though I like them all in what they do.

I am a musician and a vocal teacher and the last thing a REAL rock singer needs is perfect pitch or a classically trained voice. It doesn't hurt but it doesn't make Donna Summer or Pat Benatar real rock singers either.

A singer be musical of course. Joni Mitchell is more rock than folk, as is Chrissie Hynde. Both of them have a style of singing that is quite out of tune, or open tuned like the strings of Joni's guitar. Of course rock and roll is based in the blues or it ought to be so it really must preclude the great Debbie Harry and whiny girls like Liz Fair and Alanis Morrisette. It is the big girls club and yes Stevie Nicks belongs because of the triangle, the band and some of her early performances. Rock is an attitude too, with aggression, sex, pain and excess of something. Not for little girls. Patti Smith, Ann Wilson and Joplin are the greatest female rock singers to me, with Tina Turner, Chrissie Hynde and Joni Mitchell close behind. It is just as much about who we want to watch as listen too with Rock. Slinging a guitar doesn't hurt either. (Bonnie Raitt almost makes the cut, but she is more a blues artist and defers too much to the guys)

My choices are not the only correct ones, but the grammy award for Rock vocal goes to people like Benatar and Ronstadt, Kelly Clarkson or Rob Thomas. So let's leave that "distinction" at the kid's table where it belongs. Soon someone will want to include Cyndi Lauper and Madonna on this list. Not gonna happen...

"Hejira" Rock God and all-round deity Joni Mitchell. It's the attitude son, the strings on her guitar and her confidence with herself and what she has to say. Real Rock can be slow, sad and meditative too. It is not Beth Ditto just cuz she has grit in her voice and jumps on the stage. Not in my club. Annie Clark is getting there. But not Pat Benatar with bows and spandex and non ironic cinched waists. Nope. Don't bother arguing.

by Anonymousreply 8307/13/2013

For someone so vested in Joni Mitchell, you know she would HATE being called a rock artist, BTW, and has never considered herself one.

Jazz, yes. Rock, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 8407/13/2013

[quote] whiny girls like Liz Fair

It's Phair, and Liz is pretty awesome.

And agreed, R84. But I wouldn't even say Joni would want to be called a jazz musician. She hates labels. She sees her contemporary as Debussy, so even jazz would be restrictive.

by Anonymousreply 8507/13/2013

r84

Joni objects to being called anything other than the only one. I call her a rock artist because as a working musician for 30 years that is the way I experience her. I saw her 3 weeks ago for her 70th birthday celebration at Massey Hall in Toronto and at her party after.

She closed the tribute to herself by singing "Woodstock." She earlier performed "Furry sings the Blues". Call her what you want.

Obviously I have insulted one of your favourites. I am opinionated but did not mean to demonstrate anything other than Mitchell's essential rock stance and performance style. She is jazz influenced, she was once briefly a clear singing folk singer, but she is still rock and roll to me.

I never even said she was my favourite. What has you so upset? Joni is a very contrary person. She accepts and corrects all accolades.

That's her style man.

by Anonymousreply 8607/13/2013

Liz Fair (sic)

by Anonymousreply 8707/13/2013

PHAIR. Her fucking name is Liz P-H-A-I-R.

by Anonymousreply 8807/13/2013

[quote]Guys, the worst argument you can give for Pat Benatar is that she was the Grammy folks' idea of a rocker.

Who is the goober that starts her posts with "Guys,"?

by Anonymousreply 8907/13/2013

I call her as I see her. Liz F-A-I-R to midland.

Capisce?

by Anonymousreply 9007/13/2013

Kim Carnes deserves a mention, especially for "Voyeur."

My favourite of Tina's rock songs is "We Don't Need Another Hero."

The hardest Elton John ever rocked was dueting on "Act of War" with powerhouse Milly Jackson. I like that duet better than the sappy one with Kiki Dee!

Courtney Love's vocals on Northern Light and Hold on to Me are classic rockers.

by Anonymousreply 9107/13/2013

Sorry, R91, but 'We Don't Need Another Hero' is generic crap. A rubbish song recorded as a commercial tie-in for a rubbish movie.

Now 'Nutbush City Limits', that's a different story.

by Anonymousreply 9207/13/2013

r83, what about power and attitude?

I would never consider Mitchell a rock singer because she lacks those two attributes, IMHO.

Also, I can't think of any of her songs that has a rock vocal. Most of her intervals are more jazzy and sophisticated, even in simpler songs (Raised on Robbery).

I don't mean to be a cunt, but I'm surprised you're a musician and consider her a rock singer.

by Anonymousreply 9307/13/2013

Joni did two that had a rock twinge, "Raised on Robbery" and "Big Yellow Taxi" on her live record but I agree, it's completely ridiculous to call her rock, although I guess someone who needs to identify themselves as a musician on DL feels their opinion can't be questioned.

Although both songs were good, for pure rock feel, Carly Simon's "Night Owl" is way better and from the same era. And a name you'll never hear, but was really good was Dale Krantz, who fronted Rossington Collins, which was a reformation of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

by Anonymousreply 9407/13/2013

Chrissie Hynde WINS!

by Anonymousreply 9507/13/2013

I love Chrissie but the most Rock thing about her is her 'ornery attitude. Her voice is actually pretty smooth.

Suzi Quatro was way fiercer and a real pioneer.

Janis was all of the above plus she was a force of nature and an undeniable legend of music. Joplin probably wins this argument but, before her, Wanda Jackson kicked butt in the 50s.

Credit where credit's due, though, all those fantastic blues belters (Big Mama Thornton and her ilk) got the ball rolling for everybody, Elvis included.

Thanks for starting this thread, OP. Food for thought.

by Anonymousreply 9607/13/2013

r96, do you think the drinking and drugging wrecked her voice, though?

I've heard some pretty rough footage on YT and elsewhere, and it really crashed towards the end. Reminded me of Billie Holiday.

by Anonymousreply 9707/13/2013

R83 I have to disagree with you about Pat Benetar

She is ROCK royalty

by Anonymousreply 9807/13/2013

I almost fell asleep watching R77's video.

by Anonymousreply 9907/13/2013

I stand corrected, R89. Henceforth I'll address the group as "Guys plus that one sad cunt..."

P.S. Guys plus that one sad cunt, she sadly isn't queen of anything but there is more pure rock and roll in Merry Clayton's work on "Gimme Shelter" than most all the other names combined. With Patti Smith and Courtney Love high on the list.

by Anonymousreply 10007/13/2013

No mention of Ellen Foley?

by Anonymousreply 10107/13/2013

From her debut album Dry to her recent masterpiece Let England Shake, PJ Harvey is the high queen of rock as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 10207/13/2013

The girl that sang lead for Quarterflash.

by Anonymousreply 10307/13/2013

Janis Joplin, Courtney Love, Ann Wilson, Grace Slick, and Joan Jett. That's it. It's like asking for female football players, REAL ones. Rock is big, dumb, testosterone-fueled music. It's not sexist to say most women just aren't built for it. Joan Jett is one of the least proficient vocalists on the list (which, for rock, is an asset), and she's the only woman I've ever seen put on a true rock show live, start to finish. (FWIW, I've seen everyone I mention except for Joplin.)

I would have included Chrissie Hynde, but she wasted a lot of vinyl on ballads. To be fair to her, she always aspired to be the Kinks, not the Stones.

I've never understood why Patti Smith makes any rock lists at all, other than she looks like Keith Richards and married the guy from the MC5...like Hynde, I admire her for what she is, but it ain't rock.

by Anonymousreply 10407/13/2013

"I've heard some pretty rough footage on YT and elsewhere, and it really crashed towards the end."

Which is why she's a real rock legend, not a pussy wannabe.

She died for rock. She just didn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 10507/13/2013

Lzzy Hale is great. Watch her take on one of Ann Wilson's most famous, yet worst songs (albeit not written by the Wilsons), "All I Want To Do Is make Love to You" and listen to her wipe the floor with Ann and also turn it into a real rock anthem.

by Anonymousreply 10607/13/2013

>>Liz F-A-I-R to midland.

>>Capisce?

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 10707/13/2013

"I would have included Chrissie Hynde, but she wasted a lot of vinyl on ballads. To be fair to her, she always aspired to be the Kinks, not the Stones."

Huh? The Stones did just as many 'ballads' as The Kinks, and other than the obvious Davies covers The Pretenders did, Hynde's music rarely ever seemed Kink-like. The Kinks were certainly her favorite band, but she didn't seem to emulate them. Her look has always seemed more like a drag king version of a 60s Stone, a mash-up of Keith and Brian. And like the Stones, she considered herself to be more shaped by R&B.

by Anonymousreply 10807/13/2013

Why aren't any of you talking about Ellen Foley?

by Anonymousreply 10907/13/2013

[quote]Pat Benetar & Tina Turner hold the Grammy record for winning the Female Rock Award 4 years in a row.

Why no love for these two divas?

Perhaps because neither is actually a ROCK singer.

Pat Benatar might have a powerful voice, but most people who enjoy true hard core rock music, never put her in that category, she's a pop singer, not rocker.

Pat's actually a failed show tunes singer! A friend's sister attended high school with Pat, her 'dream' was to do Broadway musicals. The pop success happened for her, so she ran with it. Knowing Pat's back story turned me off her even more. I also heard, she was a smug little bitch back in high school.

by Anonymousreply 11007/13/2013

I saw Janis Joplin perform at Forest Hills, NY in the summer of 1970. There have been good or better male rock singers but not female, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 11107/13/2013

R92, I love Nutbush City Limits but consider it R & B whereas "We don't need another hero" is a big M.O.R Rock Anthem. 1984 is another great Tina rock tune.

En Vogue had one classic rock song among their soul songs: "Free you mind."

by Anonymousreply 11207/13/2013

R108, the Stones did some ballads (in 50 years, you're going to cover just about everything at some point), but they're certainly not known for ballads over rock songs.

I didn't say the Kinks were balladeers, but they are certainly quintessentially pop, as is Chrissie Hynde. (Over the years, I've read many interviews in which she claimed them as an influence; unfortunately, none at hand to quote.) A few good rock numbers on the first two Pretenders albums, but the big hits are pop. And many people know her best for that dreck "I'll Stand by You," which is about as un-rock a song as you can possible compose.

As I said about Patti Smith, I think a lot of people get swayed by Hynde's look. Both are very cool-looking women with tough personas, but it doesn't make their music "real" rock.

by Anonymousreply 11307/13/2013

OP, do you consider MOR rock "REAL rock" (I don't)? If not, this thread would quiet down considerably.

by Anonymousreply 11407/13/2013

Victoria Legrand of Beach House. She fucking rocks!

by Anonymousreply 11507/13/2013

Plenty of female singers in the metal world, but not that mainstream for the most part, other than Lita Ford, Doro Pesch, Amy Lee from Evanescence and maybe the chick from Nightwish. Lots of indie bands with female singers as well. Looks like this thread is using a very narrow definition of "real" rock to disqualify virtually everyone in an offshoot genre.

by Anonymousreply 11607/13/2013

Not at all, R116, it's just that those singers are less well known to the majority of us.

Feel free to educate us. Certainly I'd be very interested to learn about a few other talented "female ROCK singers" though I'm not quite so excited about "Voice Of Satan" Cannibal Corpse-style vocalists.

by Anonymousreply 11707/14/2013

I think the list is this:

Janis, Joni (folk rock), Mama Cass, Ann, Grace, Patti (though I can't stand her music), Stevie, Chrissy, Kim Gordon, Kim Deal, Courtney Love, PJ Harvey, Kristin Hersh, Liz Phair.

Has there been no other female rockers that made an indelible mark on pop culture since the mid 1990s? This means crap bands like Evanascence or too indie bands like Sleater Kinney don't count.

by Anonymousreply 11807/14/2013

[quote]Joni objects to being called anything other than the only one.

Well she's right about that. From the very beginning, Joni Mitchell was different (and imo, better) than everyone else.

I'm glad to see someone finally named that Evanescence chick. She seems like a "real" rocker, bearing in mind that I'm way too old to actually know who's rocking these days.

I see Chrissie Hynde as a "real" rocker but not Pat Benatar. I'm not sure why - maybe Benatar had a little too much lip gloss and hair gel. There was almost a Sheena Easton quality to her. She certainly had a great voice.

I can't believe I'm the only person who named Grace Slick (way upthread). I mean Jefferson Airplane Grace Slick, not Jefferson Starship.

by Anonymousreply 11907/14/2013

I have already posted my list, but Tina Turner is a rock and roll singer. Chuck Berry and Bowie, McCartney and Jagger and The Who all thought so. She was Joplin's favourite singer.

Yeah, Tina was a bit Vegas, a bit chitlin, a bit Spector, all blues and rhythm and soul, and all rock and roll woman. If there was a beat she could find it and split it like the atom. Soulful blues wail or syncopated rock power, she confronts the audience with her sound and presence. On any official list Tina is in the top 5 always, usually number 2 after Janis as the female rock performer. She is a stellar singer too.

I know Ann Wilson has THE rock voice from the smoky crypt, but she just stands there in the ruins and sings. Tina was full throttle, way back then and then again. Different styles.

I am posting something of her just before the huge comeback success. No Ike, no dancing girls. She is working hard for the money. This is when I first saw her, the year before Private Dancer hit it big, she was playing hotel ballrooms. The costumes are tacky, her hair is weird, and she is shamelessly sexual. She seems to be grinding it out and dances a bit:)

When she achieved the love and the money, monster hits and the biggest concerts ever on this planet, she was only slightly different. The band got way better. She seemed stronger, prettier and younger. She was fearless and relentless. She is a rock singer. As Janis said, "Tina is the show."

"Steel Claw"

by Anonymousreply 12007/16/2013

FUCK, after that intro I post Johnny Mathis! I have lost all cred, nothing new. Sorry.

Tina turner between successes.

r120

by Anonymousreply 12107/16/2013

Janis Joplin on Tina Turner. I didn't make it up.

Funny her expression and throat clearing when she says Ike's name...

by Anonymousreply 12207/16/2013

Tina Turner

"Help"

by Anonymousreply 12307/16/2013

PJ HARVEY - PATTI SMITH - CARLA BOZULICH - SIOUXSIE - LEILA MOSS

by Anonymousreply 12407/16/2013

KAREN O

by Anonymousreply 12507/16/2013

SINEAD!

who compares to this?

by Anonymousreply 12608/09/2013

These are my favs:

Janis Joplin Tina Turner Stevie Nicks Ann Wilson Joan Jett

by Anonymousreply 12708/09/2013

Ann Wilson is probably my favorite for the sheer power of her voice, and she still sounds amazing. Great rock belting voice, and at 63 years old, it's just as great as it ever was. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 12808/09/2013

Shannon Wright owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 12908/09/2013

Pat & Tina are currently tied with the most Grammy Wins for Female Rock. 4 each.

by Anonymousreply 13008/09/2013

I've seen Joan Jett a lot (okay, over 100 times), and she's definitely my bar for women who rock.

Others I've seen who just rock include:

Ronnie Spector, Darlene Love, Courtney Love, Ann Wilson, Debbie Harry, Chrissy Hydne, Christina Amphlett, Kim Shattuck (the Muffs...link to "Sad Tomorrow" below), Donita Sparks (L7) and a few obscure but awesome bands I followed around in the '90s/early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 13108/09/2013

Donita Sparks/L7 with "Shit List."

by Anonymousreply 13208/09/2013

Karyn Kuhl/Sexpod, Click on "Cherry Dream."

by Anonymousreply 13308/09/2013

Mary Timony on MTV, I cannot believe MTV use to be cool! Now it's so shit, what happened.

by Anonymousreply 13408/09/2013

I also think Kelly Clarkson could be a great rocker. Check out some of the covers she does in her live shows (many on YouTube), ranging from Joan Jett to Aerosmith to Annie Lennox.

by Anonymousreply 13508/09/2013

Thalia Zedek, criminally ignored artist; she was one of the major influences in the 80s Boston indie rock scene, which pretty much defined 90s music.

by Anonymousreply 13608/09/2013

Helium! Forgot about them. The 90s were a good time for women in alternative rock...Juliana Hatfield, The Breeders, Belly, Veruca Salt, Elastica, etc. Then you had all the riot grrl stuff.

I really hate what music has become. Sure there's still some good bands out there, but they get lost amidst so much garbage.

by Anonymousreply 13708/09/2013

I think after 9/11 and The Republican and Bush Jr's paranoid patriotic manipulation of the States, America wanted safety and hid from anything challenging, or anything that wasn't wrapped in Conservative family values.

So 90s rock, with all it's alternative views and open mindedness went out the window and was replaced with bland safe boring crap like Maroon 5, Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber. Even Rhianna for all her vulgarity fits in nicely, her music is lazy and none challenging but her image is almost blacksploitation, (oh she can act the the ghetto vulgar whore who does drugs and gets beat up by her equally hideous bf because she's black, thats their way) really is very racist, but as soon as a white girl does it (Lohan) she is humiliated by the press and vilified by the public. It fits into the Repug sensibility still has a strong hold over pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 13808/09/2013

Did anyone mention Wendy O. Williams yet (too lazy to look through the whole thread)?

She was THE rock singer.

by Anonymousreply 13908/09/2013

As far as current rock singers, I adore Grace Potter. She's amazing. I saw her on a Palladia special, she did an acoustic segment and an electric one, she's terrific.

I also got a 'pingy' vibe, is she family?

I grew up on Janis, Grace Slick, Joni, the Heart ladies and I loved Sandy Denny, but she was a British folkie, not pure rock, though Fairport Convention could, and did, rock, especially when Richard Thompson was in the band.

by Anonymousreply 14008/09/2013

Kristin Hersh and the Muses.

Funny r134, just noticed this was also from MTV, never happen now.

BTW, I'm almost sure this video use to have the band singing to an audience of monkeys.

by Anonymousreply 14108/09/2013

R71 has it right about the first 3 PJ Harvey albums. She's a better guitarist than singer, though. But we can't expect the DL queens here to understand that.

Along those lines, R83, the "musician" of the board, dismisses Liz Phair as being 'whiny' and therefore not rock, but then goes on to praise Joni Mitchell, who is a fine artist but most assuredly not rock. Phair sucks hard now, but around the time of her first 2 records, she had the influence of hip friends combined with her own bonkers sensibilities and was actually really great, both with words and guitar, and was leagues beyond a non-musician hack like Morissette. Good voice back then, not so much now, definitely not the "belter" type of singer that the OP was looking for.

Kim Deal of the Breeders has one of the coolest voices ever and is an auteur when it comes to rock songwriting and arranging, but she is virtually the antithesis of a diva, which means she doesn't even register in the consciousness of the average DLer. Oh well.

I can't believe how many times Pat Benatar's name has been misspelled in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 14208/09/2013

Interesting analysis, r138, and I think I agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 14308/09/2013

I've always thought that Pat Benatar's album tracks were better than some of her singles.

by Anonymousreply 14408/09/2013

r144

Yes, she had this song called "Wuthering Heights", which was based on the novel of the same name.

by Anonymousreply 14508/09/2013

Thank you, R136, for mentioning the great Thalia Zedek. It's a shame she doesn't get more love on a gay site like this. For my money her best work is on Come's second album, Don't Ask Don't Tell. It's definitely one of the best albums of the 90s. Here's a great fast rocker highlighting the interplay between her guitar and that of Chris Brokaw:

by Anonymousreply 14608/09/2013

One more song from Don't Ask, Don't Tell: German Song.

by Anonymousreply 14708/09/2013

Gretchen Wilson usually sings country, but she knocked "Barracuda" out of the park. I wish she'd hook up with a really good rock band rather than crank out Nashville product.

by Anonymousreply 14808/09/2013

Pop's really not rock. Compare with Dilana Smith on the old Rockstar Supernova show, cover of "Lithium."

by Anonymousreply 14908/10/2013

Same show, Storm Large, cover of "Anything, Anything."

by Anonymousreply 15008/10/2013

Debbie Harry had REAL street cred, looks and a voice to back it all up.

by Anonymousreply 15108/10/2013

Bonnie Tyler, the girls from Heart, and Tina Turner.

by Anonymousreply 15208/10/2013

Siouxsie Sioux (and the Banshees), "Dazzle"

by Anonymousreply 15308/10/2013

Patti Smith, "People Have the Power"

(this is fun :)

by Anonymousreply 15408/10/2013

Pink, "Sober"

by Anonymousreply 15508/10/2013

[quote]But we can't expect the DL queens here to understand that.

[quote]she doesn't even register in the consciousness of the average DLer. Oh well.

R142, the epitome of pointlessly bitchy. t

by Anonymousreply 15608/10/2013

But some percentage of "rock" is all about presentation ... Lady Gaga + Judas Priest (mashup), "Lady Judas"

by Anonymousreply 15708/10/2013

Sheryl Crow's The Globe Sessions is utterly fantastic - her best album. Unfortunately, she's stepped far away from rock since then, veering between pop, folk and now country.

by Anonymousreply 15808/10/2013

Yeah, same with others. The women don't appear to be as invested in sticking to single genres. The versatility's awesome, but makes them difficult to classify.

-- Heather Nova, "Blood of Me"

by Anonymousreply 15908/10/2013

Madonna

Toni Tennille

Mariah Carey

Olivia Newton John

Carney Wilson

Kelly Clarkson

by Anonymousreply 16008/10/2013

PJ Harvey has the best female (or maybe even overall) voice in rock.

by Anonymousreply 16108/10/2013

Miss Elton John, Gwen Stefani, Joan Jett, Wendy O. Williams, Suzi Quatro, Pat Benatar, Ann Wilson, Deborah Harry.

by Anonymousreply 16208/10/2013

Patti Smith. Her voice is acquired taste, but like Ann Wilson, she impressively still has it, well into her 60s.

by Anonymousreply 16308/10/2013

Debby Boone.

"You Light Up My Life" was one of the biggest selling singles of the rock era. In 1977 she was second to none.

She did daddy Pat proud. Rock on, Debby!

by Anonymousreply 16408/10/2013

Patti Smith, "Paths That Cross"

by Anonymousreply 16508/10/2013

A lot of current R'n'B and Hip-Hop is pure blacksploitation. America would not tolerate Taylor Swift acting like Rhianna.

by Anonymousreply 16608/10/2013

Another vote for Exene.

by Anonymousreply 16708/10/2013

[quote]Pink, "Sober"

Pink??? You must be having a laugh! Her shit is pop music with a few guitar chords thrown in.

by Anonymousreply 16808/10/2013

[quote]Pink??? You must be having a laugh! Her shit is pop music with a few guitar chords thrown in. Eh, I dunno. Used to dismiss her out of hand until I paid more attention to her lyrics. Reassessed.

-- Patti Smith, "Glitter in Their Eyes"

by Anonymousreply 16908/10/2013

I love Come, Hurricane is my favorite song ever. The guitar @ 3.53 is just beyond brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 17008/10/2013

You are right r166, and I'm white. If a white girl like Taylor Swift or Katy Perry got smacked around by their boyfriend, it would be a total shitstorm. When it happened to Rhianna, even though there was a lot of controversy, the underlying sentiment was "well they're black, that's what black people do."

If Taylor Swift got her pretty little face bashed to hell, the outrage would be deafening.

by Anonymousreply 17108/10/2013

I don't know if these were mentioned but here goes: Shirley Manson, her song "stupid girl" was freaking awesome. Amy Lee from Evanescence I really like her voice. Also that chick can't remember her name from Epica and the one from Nightwish.

by Anonymousreply 17208/11/2013

{quote]Debby Boone.

What in fuck does Debbie Boone have to do with rock?

by Anonymousreply 17308/11/2013

Debbie Harry makes an appearance in Miss Guy's "God Save New York."

by Anonymousreply 17408/12/2013

Tori Amos is 50 this week and still rocking it, well not as much, but for a 50 year old she's rocking it.

by Anonymousreply 17508/23/2013

Who the hell cares anything about rock?

Rock is for self entitled straight white people (no offense) who vote republican and hate minorities. Rock is passe and hopefully gone forever.

The best lady singers of the rock era were not rock at all. Janet Jackson, Aretha, Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor, Etta James, Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 17608/23/2013

[quote] The best lady singers of the rock era were not rock at all. Janet Jackson

Janet Fucking Jackson?! You shouldn't have put her at the top of your list - you lost all credibility right there.

by Anonymousreply 17708/23/2013

R176 is an idiot --- no offense!

by Anonymousreply 17808/23/2013

Marnie Stern, The Chronicles of Marnia, is so awesome.

by Anonymousreply 17908/23/2013

Kathleen Hanna: Bikini Kill, LeTigre and now the Julie Ruin, she is a force of nature!

by Anonymousreply 18008/23/2013

Paula Stanley and Gina Simmons from the glitter act, Kiss.

by Anonymousreply 18108/23/2013

R176 knows nothing about music and has awful taste.

by Anonymousreply 18208/23/2013

R176, your ignorance is staggering. I wonder if the names Betty Davis, Millie Jackson, Joan Armatrading, Skunk Anansie or Karen O mean anything to you. How about Jimi Hendrix, Phil Lynott, Living Colour, Chuck Berry, Lenny Kravitz, TV On The Radio, Fishbone, Bad Brains...get it? Rock is a vast genre. In no way is it exclusively a white thing and certainly not a majority Republican thing. Do you really think there aren't Republicans that don't love Janet, Aretha and Whitney? Every white conservative baby boomer has danced awkwardly to Aretha Franklin at some point in their life.

by Anonymousreply 18308/23/2013

R183, thank you. Perfectly stated!

by Anonymousreply 18408/23/2013

Emily Haines of Metric

by Anonymousreply 18508/24/2013

BluRred LineS us the best fuckin song Ever made!

I love being young horny drunk stoned and fucked up. DrUGs rule!

I love Robin Thicke.

2Nt is the best night of my life....

Woooooooooo Whoooooooooo!

I'm comin out so You beTter get tha party started

I need more oxy I need more coke I need more weed just one more toke. woooooooo.

by Anonymousreply 18608/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.