Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tack Gay Latinos Want You to Fund Their Wedding

Proof we're just as bad as straight people when it comes to this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 3907/12/2013

They totally nicked the idea from these pudgy doughboys who, despite stealthy cross promotion on Huffington Post (in the guise of a "the personal is politial" blog) barely eked past 50% of the goal for their destination wedding. The funnies part is donors got a "shout out" in the program, not an invitation or anything, but a "shout out."

by Anonymousreply 107/12/2013

Does no one in any of these couples have jobs?

by Anonymousreply 207/12/2013

Huh, I'm actually okay with both of them. I had a brief thought of contributing something small, too.

Love, love, love. All we need is love. All together now!

by Anonymousreply 307/12/2013

I suppose it's better than inviting guests with the expectation of a suitable cash gift to cover the cost of the reception. And getting a nasty e-mail complaining about the gift.

by Anonymousreply 407/12/2013

What on earth makes anybody think these donations are in lieu of gifts?

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2013

Tick for tack.

by Anonymousreply 607/12/2013

Only have the wedding you can afford. My partner and I found an officiant that will do it for $50 and I think the license is $35. Add a nice dinner for immediate family (who will be the only attendees) and we'll come in somewhere between $1,000 - $2,000, no financing required.

by Anonymousreply 707/12/2013

Hustling strangers for money - what a fucking nightmare.

I don't understand why their family and friends don't intervene. They ought to be convincing them that this public begging is in poor taste at best and at worst it's pathetic and degrading.

If they won't have a small, local wedding then their family should just chip in and pay for it. At least they'll be getting the money from people they know.

by Anonymousreply 807/12/2013

That is pretty tacky, but if people are stupid enough to fall for their sob story, good for them!

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2013

That's sweet, R10, but if you can't afford a wedding...maybe you should settle for simply being in love! Not having a wedding shouldn't diminish the feelings two people have for each other.

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2013

R10 - you shouldn't be here but since you are here, please consider toning it down.

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2013

R7 here

Maybe they should go with the $50 for the officiant and $35 for the license and that's their wedding. This is NYC so it's likely as expensive here as anywhere. If we couldn't afford the dinner, we wouldn't do it.

On the other hand, when I was living in San Antonio, TX and was more exposed to Mexican American culture, I did hear of friends and family of a couple "sponsoring" different parts of a wedding (or quincenera) and being listed in the program as such. Different from what I was used to but something for them culturally I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2013

I dont see anything wrong with this.

by Anonymousreply 1407/12/2013

Well, it's official: The Supreme Court has created the Gay Bridezilla.

by Anonymousreply 1507/12/2013

Tacky yes, but how many heterosexual weddings to you think they've attended and spent money on and purchased gifts for?

...and, just how many of those heterosexual couples have offered to help or attend their own wedding?

Yes, somewhat embarrassing and four years just isn't enough time for two gay guys to decide to marry (I say that because I'm a gay man myself), but who cares.

They want a wedding OP, they're asking for help. Get the fuck over it.

Oh, and why are you trolling a site for gay people anyway, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 1607/12/2013

[quote]Hustling strangers for money - what a fucking nightmare.

If you can't afford a big ugly bridezilla blow-out wedding, then have a shred of dignity, do something modest and within your means, that doesn't involve begging, and remind yourself of what a wedding is supposed to be about.

If you don't feel like the luckiest fucker in the world getting married, and if, when you do it, the concerns of the rest of the world don't shrink away to less than insignificant, then something is seriously wrong. And if your wedding just isn't a wedding unless it's some fairy princess dream come true -- defined not by who you're marrying but all of the trappings of the day, paid for by suckers and strangers you've duped into footing the bill -- then don't get married. And stop fucking begging for luxuries. Few things are uglier.

The nerve of the two at OP's link is nothing, though, compared to the two at R1's link. They managed to turn what should be a happy prospect into something fucking disgraceful:

[quote] Why we're asking for help?... Both of us work for non-profits as organizers [bold]working to make the world a better place. We are both children of single moms,[/bold] and both our moms depend on outside help to make ends meet.

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2013

Just visited their web page and oddly enough I thought it was kind of sweet.

by Anonymousreply 1807/12/2013

Again, maybe a LITTLE fucking solidarity is due these guys. They may not be the most highly educated and may have grown-up poor, etc. etc.

Yes, it's outside the norm of regular weddings, but two gay men, particularly from poor families, don't have a mommy or daddy helping to pay for their marriage celebration.

There are no Today Show contests for them to enter. Good Morning America doesn't invite the likes of THEM to write in for a 'dream wedding'.

So trash them if you just have to be snarky bitches, but keep in mind that weddings are still a new thing for gay men and women, though many dream of having a great celebration for their friends and family to enjoy.

And $2,500 isn't so fucking bad. They're obviously not being greedy.

Give these two a break guys. They aren't your two average bitchy poseur queens and they aren't some horrible straight woman being nasty. They're just asking for a little money for anyone who may want to send it their way.

by Anonymousreply 1907/12/2013

Did any of you watch the video? They are also adopting a kid and the money is to help with that as well. It's one thing to go into debt for a one-shot deal like a wedding, it quite another to take on an ongoing responsibility like a chile if you can't afford it.

by Anonymousreply 2007/12/2013

You just know OP wears lots of face cream to bed, loves hanging out with his bois for Sunday brunch and would never dare shop common retail.

She's fabulous! And, hey, what's up with the trashy brown people wanting a wedding anyway?!? Just who do these people think they are! Right, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2107/12/2013

Uh, y'all get a cupcake with a donation. Didja not all see that?

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2013

[quote]Give these two a break guys. They aren't your two average bitchy poseur queens and they aren't some horrible straight woman being nasty. They're just asking for a little money for anyone who may want to send it their way.

That doesn't make it any less tacky.

Miss Manners and/or Emily Post would tell you that you throw the wedding you can afford. You don't stick out the virtual begging bowl.

I got married in City Hall by a Justice of the Peace and no audience, and it was still special enough for me, especially since because the lesbian wedding party who was going after us gave us a huge round of applause when we came out of the room where the ceremony was performed.

I understand wanting to have a lavish wedding, but no one is entitled to one...unless one is marrying the Heir Presumptor, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 2307/12/2013

Fuck off. We don't need your nasty, classless, omnipresent fucking input on everything.

...and you wonder why people hate you here.

by Anonymousreply 2407/12/2013

Anybody else notice that if you follow and take note of the things R23 / VoTN posts, he contradicts himself/herself ALL the time?

R23, were you the one who also tried to spew some in-depth knowledge of the New York mayoral race a month or two back until it was revealed you'd just recently, allegedly, moved to New York?

You're a psychotic attention whore and a textbook Internet troll. Be gone.

by Anonymousreply 2507/12/2013

Here's the thing r19, if you can't afford to get married here are your options:

1) Don't get married until you can afford to get married

2) Go to the Justice of the Peace and then celebrate your wedding with a simple reception at your house for a few family members and a couple of close friends.

This idea of these lavish out of control weddings is going to be the downfall of society. It's stupid when the straights do it and it's stupid when the gays do it.

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2013

[quote] Again, maybe a LITTLE fucking solidarity is due these guys. They may not be the most highly educated and may have grown-up poor, etc. etc.

[quote] Yes, it's outside the norm of regular weddings, but two gay men, particularly from poor families, don't have a mommy or daddy helping to pay for their marriage celebration.

Lol. If they were lesbians or a straight couple, you'd be vomiting your disgust at them all over the thread.

by Anonymousreply 2707/12/2013

This is just beyond tacky.

I funded my wedding by building a glory hole on wheels. As soon as "We Are Family" finished, I rolled that fucker out and made a mint!

I was even able to lend it to much much ooolder friends when I was done with it 'cause I recycle like that.

by Anonymousreply 2807/12/2013

lmao r28 you're silly

by Anonymousreply 2907/12/2013

No, R27, only if they were a straight couple... or gay board trolling fraucunts like you.

And give it a rest with your tired "if they were lesbians" bullshit. You've been all over the board with that, trolling for a sex war.

Go away. As if your actual life, nobody here wants you, outcast.

by Anonymousreply 3007/12/2013

Why the LATINO headline? Had they been white would the heading have said white gay couple?

by Anonymousreply 3107/12/2013

Ugh, this reminds me of the couples that sell 50/50 tickets to fund their wedding. No, I will NOT buy them. SO FUCKING TACKY!!! I'm with those who believe that couples should have the wedding they can afford. It's the love and joy that really makes a wedding, not the frills. And before you Mary or Cunt me, I've been to dozens and dozens of weddings, from low-budget to high-end, and in all honesty, many of the low-budget weddings were the most wonderful, fun, & memorable of all. Spending $$$$$$$$$$ on a wedding does not guarantee its success, at least in the eyes of those one in trying to impress.

by Anonymousreply 3207/12/2013

I've never heard of 50/50 tickets. Entrance price with a raffle ticket thrown in?

by Anonymousreply 3307/12/2013

I'm willing to give them a gift basket of Jolly Ranchers and marshmallow fluff.

by Anonymousreply 3407/12/2013

Re: 50/50 tickets... a couple will by a roll of tickets and sell each ticket for, say, $1 each. They usually try to force everyone to buy at least 10 tickets. Those who buy the tickets write their names on one half of the ticket and it gets put in a bucket or whatever; they keep the other half with the ticket number on it.

Once the couple is done harassing everyone they know and often don't know, they pick out a name from the ticket bucket. THis is usually done at the wedding. The person's name who they pick wins 50% of the money collected. The couple keeps the other 50% of the money (hence 50/50 ticket).

Here's the kicker... it has come to be expected that the winner of the 50% gives THEIR half to the couple as well. So in the end, the couple really gets 100% of the money. If the person who wins the 50% does not give it to the couple, that's ok, but there is a stigma associated with it... that the person is greedy and not willing to help out a couple in need blah blah blah you know...

Worst of all is it has become a regular thing here in the US that the couples have their wedding party and sometimes their families go around at the reception and try to force people to buy these tickets right there. Talk about the ultimate in tackiness.

by Anonymousreply 3507/12/2013

A huge portion of this thread is one or two straight women talking to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3607/12/2013

R35 you must know some trashy people, cos I've never heard of such a ridiculous concept.

by Anonymousreply 3707/12/2013

Thanks for posting that, R35. I guess this is a relatively new trend? Beyond bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 3807/12/2013

R28 just gave me life and killed me.

At the same damn time.

by Anonymousreply 3907/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!