Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Reducing calories

I'm not obese but I do want to lose about 10 lbs. I lost 40 about 2 years ago and put back 10, so I'd like to shed it. The problem is that I was eating a 1200 calorie diet. I just can't do it now, I'm starving. It's not sustainable. But, I do find I am overeating because I feel SO hungry. I feel shaky and my head feels cloudy and I'm irritable. I could eat half a bag of baby carrots or sticks of celery, but it just gives me a weirder empty feeling in my stomach and does nothing for the cloudy head. Why do people say "ah, just eat high fiber food like bran or oatmeal, it will hold you ALL day!" when it isn't true?

by Anonymousreply 6207/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 107/11/2013

Low carb is the way to go.

Atkins induction and then work your way up to introducing some fresh fruit.

Veg, meat, healthy fat.

You will lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 207/11/2013

I lost my 20 pounds using the Dr. Gott no sugar no flour diet. You don't suffer much, not a quick diet but as long as you don't eat anything containing sugar or flours you are good to go. There are many hidden sources of sugar so you have to learn how to read labels. You will not suffer from hunger on this diet.

Medjool dates were my sweet and corn tortillas was my grain. Tortilla need to be whole ground corn, not made from corn flour or masa. For pasta like dishes I made thick polenta and cooled on baking sheets. Cutting into slices to fry and layer with cheese and sauce for a lasagna.

In fact, I never went back to eating sugar. I seldom eat any white baked products.

by Anonymousreply 307/11/2013

OP, Try eating olive oil with whole grain toast or 1/4 of an avocado a little while before eating meals. Healthy fat will keep you from getting "too hungry."

Oatmeal only works if you eat it with protein. I add milk and natural peanut butter, as well as cinnamon and a variety of fruit. Still it only keeps you feeling full for a few hours.

Remember that not everybody is the same, and people have very different sensitivities. Frequent small meals with lean protein works for many. Homemade vegetable soup also is dieter's gold.

Remember that spices, like garlic and curry, as well as mustard, are very low cal and actually have important health benefits. Statistically those who eat extremely spicy food automatically eat less of it.

I'd dip your carrot and celery sticks in hummus made with olive oil, and add whole grain pita. Veggies alone won't work for most.

by Anonymousreply 407/11/2013

[quote]Oatmeal only works if you eat it with protein. I add milk and natural peanut butter, as well as cinnamon and a variety of fruit. Still it only keeps you feeling full for a few hours.

It's not intended to keep you full all day. Have oatmeal topped with fruit for breakfast and you'll be satisfied until lunch time. Or have it for lunch and it will keep you satisfied until time for an evening meal.

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2013

Try CoQ10 and drinking green tea. That will rev up your metabolism to lose the weight.

by Anonymousreply 607/12/2013

Low sugar protein bars, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, beans, salad, protein/fruit smoothies, etc., along with increased exercising. Serving size is important. You can 'treat' yourself one select day to fuller serving meals and desserts, but otherwise, stick to a daily allowance of calorie intake.

If I may suggest, go to a local fitness club and consider signing up for a 2-3-4 month session with a personal training. He or she could see you once or twice a week and go through a rigorous work out regime once you explain your weight loss goals.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 707/12/2013

Carbs, OP. Counting calories is bogus.

by Anonymousreply 807/12/2013

Read "Wheat Belly", then do everything he says. Eat the SHIT out of some meat and cheese and eggs and all that other tasty shit, but do not you dare TOUCH a grain.

Your ass will be SKINTY, HUNTY.

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2013

80% of weight loss is due to diet, not exercise. You need to get the diet under control. Carbs will make you hungry. There's good carbs and bad carbs. Increase your protein. You should take Metamucil too to keep you regular. Eat a lot of vegetables. You need to also watch what you're drinking. You can do it OP.

by Anonymousreply 1007/12/2013

Is OP a great big fat person?

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2013

[quote]80% of weight loss is due to diet, not exercise.

Exactly! You can easily lose the weight without a gym. Portion control and oatmeal once a day will get rid of that ten pounds, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2013

I agree that diet is key, I think it's ridiculous some people think they can get any benefit out of exercise if they don't modify their eating. The problem with me is that I avoid meat and poultry. How much fish can you eat anyway? Considering mercury and over-fishing, I should avoid that too. So my protein choices are limited. I do consume dairy, for example my typical breakfast is about half cup of lowfat cottage cheese with one quarter cup All-Bran sprinkled on top, with some cinnamon for flavor. I don't know, my hunger is more than just craving, I feel ill by just eating veggies. I get that I need protein, but I'm not doing a good job at it. BWT, I'm *not* fat. I'm 168, down from 200. I'm 5'11" 43 YO male. I gained back 10 lbs, which is making me upset because I'm eating too much. But again, I'm very hungry.

by Anonymousreply 1407/12/2013

I lowered my bad cholesterol by 50 points with oatmeal but I can't look at it now. I start to gag when I eat it because I ate it for so long. I can't force more than 3 teaspoons down.

by Anonymousreply 1507/12/2013

Do you drink enough water? Did you cut out crap beverages? I find that drinking the wrong thing can mess up key parts in the metabolic pathway having to do with hormone changes and hunger signals.

by Anonymousreply 1607/12/2013

168 pounds at 5'11 is thin, op. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2013

Exercise is good for the cardiovascular system and will enhance your mood.

Portion control is hard if your working overtime on carbs. Are you American, OP? The American diet has fuckef up our systems.

I was having stomach issues. I had to change my diet. Vegetables, protein, some fruit, no condiments, anything with sugar in drinks, saved my life, and you wouldn't believe the amount of weight I lost. I wasn't looking at the scale since I wasn't trying to lose weight, so I didn't have any discouragement by not seeing immediate results.

by Anonymousreply 1807/12/2013

Strict Paleo. Read Robb Wolf's Paleo book to understand how it works. I got serious about it after getting diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, and I find that I eat a lot less than before, and yet feel full long after.

by Anonymousreply 1907/12/2013

Stay away artificial sweeteners.

by Anonymousreply 2007/12/2013

Dieting is very confusing.

I'm at a plateau, and have pretty much bottomed out with my weight loss. Even with daily exercise and regular portion control, my weight is holding steady. It even goes up a few pounds on days when I eat a little more.

But the problem is that I need to lose 10-15 more pounds, and I'm eating the bare minimum to keep me from getting head-achey, weak, dizzy, and tired.

I suffer from hypoglycemia, so if I don't eat enough, I simply can't function.

I really want to lose more weight, and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

It's crazy because I see some young guys eating huge amounts of food, and they are stick thin. It's quite depressing when I think about it, so I try not to.

I'm just looking for a healthy and reasonable way to this.

by Anonymousreply 2107/12/2013

I have to agree with the low carb thing.

Grains today are not the same as grains from yesteryear. It's all frankenfood.

I lost 50lbs and I'm about 20 lbs away from my goal. I cut out starches and the weight came off quick which is esp. hard when you're female.

I didn't even have to starve myself.

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2013

What are you eating, R22? Are you exercising also, or just dieting?

by Anonymousreply 2307/12/2013

R21, I've known guys that easily lose weight, or are very thin. Most have a higher metabolism, meaning that they don't like to ever "sit still." They need far less sleep than the average man too. Even when they're not exercising, they're constantly moving, and almost hyper. This burns a great deal more calories overall. Think George Clooney.

Also some eat a lot at one meal but that's most of their food for the day.

by Anonymousreply 2407/12/2013

Exercise is non-negotiable. I do weight training, cardio and pilates.

I eat nothing processed except for good quality cheese, non-grain flours and nut butters. I also don't eat fruit after 3pm. I try to eat most of my carbs early. Tons of veg at lunch.

Dinner is protein, fat (oil/butter) and very little veg (salad or cooked).

Carbs: Veg/Fruit. No rice, pasta, bread, white potatoes, grains, etc.

Obviously took a while to get used to, but it was worth it and I was never hungry.

by Anonymousreply 2507/12/2013

OP bump it up to 1400 calories. A cup of plain nonfat greek yogurt is loaded with protein. Add some fresh fruit for sweetness and more bulk and is very filling.

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2013

R27 is me, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 2807/13/2013

600 calories. 2 days a week. Normal diet for the rest of the week. Easy and it works.

by Anonymousreply 2907/13/2013

I've lost about 55 pounds since January. I don't follow any fad or "flavor of the month" diet. I just try to eat more sensibly, and try to stay low in both fat and calories. I try to eat smaller portions of proteins and starches, and larger portions of vegetables. (I think the guideline is that your plate should be half vegetables and one-quarter each of the other two.)

I stay away from empty calories (sugar, alcohol) and eat fairly simply: oatmeal made with skim milk and water with some dried fruit and nuts (and sweetener) Lean meats (chicken or turkey breast, lean ham, shrimp), fat-free yogurt and cottage cheese, etc. Lots of fruits and vegetables (easier to do in the summer when stone fruits and berries are plentiful and cheap.)

by Anonymousreply 3007/13/2013

OP, if you get shaky, headache-y, spacey, weak, dizzy, tired, then you're far from healthy. You can cause other problems if you don't do this right.

I used to be vegetarian like you and it messed up my hormones. I find now if I don't get enough fat and protein early in the day, I'm binging later. I also get shaky, tired, spaced out. Don't be afraid of fat. Be very afraid of grains. In the olden day, we soaked and fermented our grains, removing their enzyme inhibitors and increasing digestion. We don't do that now and we have loads of problems, like obesity and all many of stomach / mood / brain issues.

If you have to be vegetarian and you eat SOME fish, make the fish sardines - they are better for you. At least twice a week. You can make a delish salad with canned sardines, romaine, capers, green onions, lemon squeeze, oil/vinegar/pepper. I also add in unpasteurized kraut for crunch and probiotics.

If you struggle to get your protein in, continue to try, but also eat more fat. Eat way more plain yogurt for protein assistance (okay to add fruit or a dab of honey). Coconut oil raises metabolism. Avocado or olives for snacks (they are all fat). Nuts are a way to get both protein and fat at once. make sure you get protein, even a little, every 2-3 hours, except when sleeping. Do you like mushrooms? Wild mushrooms have an excellent profile. They're good protein and way better than cheap, white button mushrooms. Morels, porcini, lobster mushrooms. Cook gently in garlic and butter. Use blue cheese with morels -yumm. is a place to source them.

by Anonymousreply 3107/13/2013

Does anyone have a diet that includes lots of white rice? I love white rice with Rosemary, garlic and a little butter on it, plates full.

by Anonymousreply 3207/13/2013

Try intermittent fasting. I've lost a lot of weight on it. You can read more about it at

by Anonymousreply 3307/13/2013

Adult males should of OP's height should have 2000 calories a day. Get rid of sugar and other simply carbs and the weight will come off, but at 168lbs you're already thin enough. If you want to lose belly fat, then lose the bad carbs.

by Anonymousreply 3407/13/2013

OP? Firstly, it's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you. Food addictions - including over-eating & binge eating - are the result of unresolved emotional issues. They're a way of dealing with the anxiety of not taking care of your personal business and yourself. They're temporary relief to problems that require more attention and concrete solutions or resolutions.

Secondly, you will never maintain your weight loss with fad diets or imbalanced, restricted eating. A food plan should be training you how to eat for life. That's how you lose weight properly and keep it off - by changing your habits, understanding what your body needs and separating your emotional needs from your nutrition.

There's also something to be said here about the difference between nutrition, understanding that rich foods are for tasting not for nutritional staples and sensible maintenance but this should do for now.

Keep a food diary. Read labels. Learn what nutrition is all about. Quick weight loss is easy, getting fit for life is more challenging but ultimately incredibly rewarding. Sorting out your nutrition will also have a positive effect on your mental health.

by Anonymousreply 3507/13/2013

Stop taking so many loads at the truck stop. That shit is fattening.

by Anonymousreply 3607/13/2013

OP, try drinking water and lemon water and tea(without sugar and/or milk) in between meals. A lot of hunger is actually just thirst. Also try drinking smoothies(without added sugar).

by Anonymousreply 3707/13/2013

r35 Perfect post.

by Anonymousreply 3807/13/2013

It really is no miracle what happened is like this

My penis got an itch

My hole a stitch

The underwear then started to unhitch

Just then the bitch

At Abercrombie and Fitch

Went looking for an anus that she could switch

by Anonymousreply 3907/13/2013

R39 This is actually the corny type of poetry I'd like to ditch!

R36 Semen is low in calories. It's a good source of protein as well........

by Anonymousreply 4007/13/2013

R15, How about making meatloaf, using mostly ground (in a blender) oatmeal, as well as onions, tomato sauce, and spices? My meatballs had more ground oatmeal then meat, and properly flavored, you couldn't tell the difference. You can also substitute ground oatmeal for white flour in pancakes and waffles. Just make sure to add plenty of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. Spices have tremendous health benefits.

Or you can make an old-fashioned desert of apple or peach betty, using ground oatmeal as a topping. Modernize the betty with lots of spices, healthful honey, and a little olive oil. Focus on flavor; it will help you eat less too.

by Anonymousreply 4107/13/2013

Those are great suggestions R41 but most of us CAN taste the difference. We just have decided that it is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 4207/13/2013

R6, I looked up CoQ10 online. At first I thought that it was a joke post. LOL at the name. Anyway the Mayo Clinic analysis is "inconclusive" results. Does it really work? Any studies to prove that fact?

by Anonymousreply 4307/13/2013

I've only heard of CoQ10 being used by people who are taking statins.

by Anonymousreply 4407/13/2013

R32, actually, yes. It's called the malnourished starvation diet. My ex had to go on it for a year + when he had no income. He bought humongous 25# bags of rice as Costco regularly. He ate a lot of it, but still was hungry after dinner each night (he was on a tight budget and was rationing).

He lost weight. He's not healthy. He ate lots of rice. There ya go!

by Anonymousreply 4507/13/2013

R45, Most on the Asian "rice diet," supplement it with cheap, bony fish, seaweed, vegetables, tofu, onions, garlic, hot sauce, ginger, curry, perhaps a few eggs, and plenty of green tea, etc. I've met people who eat sweets, red meat, and most Western food only on holidays.

If you follow it the way it was originally followed in Asia, out of economic necessity, it is a very healthy, low-cal diet.

I presume that the fish were originally from non-polluted waters, and that the vegetables were locally grown or basically wild and cheap.

by Anonymousreply 4607/13/2013

R21, forget about the other guys. How old are you?

I would suggest that the plateau has more to do with a lack of a proper training plan, if indeed your food plan is as well sorted as you say. Also, perhaps your goal should be continued weight loss rather than 10 - 15 pounds. Why do you need to be that lean? Even underwear models suffer for their physiques and they prepare to work in front of a camera, they don't look that lean all the time. And they get paid (and then they binge eat afterwards).

Your body adapts to exercise and weight training. You have to regularly consider periodisation of what you're doing. You're probably doing things that impede your progress, like cardio for long durations. Think of the gym as if it were a hospital - just because you walk into one, it doesn't make you a brain surgeon. Get a trainer, get some advice.

by Anonymousreply 4707/13/2013

You have to shock the body when you hit a plateau. If you've been eating a certain way for a long time, then change it up a bit for a few days, then go back to what had you losing weight in the first place

by Anonymousreply 4807/13/2013

OP, I recently made some big changes to my diet because I had gallbladder surgery. I have to eat relatively low-fat.

But honestly, a few small changes can make a big difference.

Drop soda of any kind - drink more water and mix in some lemonade, tea, etc. (But don't go completely to, say, Crystal Light, as that's almost as bad as diet soda.)

Go to light mayo and light butter and use them sparingly.

I actually have discovered I love hummus, and tuna fish too...but instead of drowning in mayo, I mix a little mayo and honey mustard in, as well as some cranberries, raisins or blueberries.

Tracking what you eat is important. I am using the Lose It! app, which is easy to log foods and has the capacity to scan UPC codes on foods you eat at home - will pop up calories, etc right from that.

by Anonymousreply 4907/13/2013

[quote] 80% of weight loss is due to diet, not exercise

Bullshit. I gained 30 lbs when I moved out of NYC. I walked everywhere in NYC and ate a huge amount of Chinese food from the excellent place across the street.

In the ruburb where I live, the Chinese food is execrable and I won't touch it. Same with pizza and bagels. I need to walk a minimum of 3 miles a day like I did in the city and I can't.

by Anonymousreply 5007/13/2013

OP, are you drinking enough water? Sometimes we eat something when we aren't really hungry, we're thirsty.

Also, if you eat a lot of carbs you'll crave them and feel hungry. Eat often, but do veggies, protein, and very limited whole grains, but no bread, no potatoes (except sweet potatoes if you just have to have one) and only limited amounts of brown rice, no white rice.

Be careful with carrots & beets at first, as they are sweet. Find a good cracker that has a lot of fiber. A high protein diet is best, but not red meat or processed foods.

by Anonymousreply 5107/13/2013

OP you need to build muscle to burn more calories. Exercise more. Do it with resistance training and free weights.

by Anonymousreply 5207/13/2013

[quote] How about making meatloaf, using mostly ground (in a blender) oatmeal, as well as onions, tomato sauce, and spices?

I tried that, and I never tried it again. Blah!

by Anonymousreply 5307/13/2013

[quote]Bullshit. I gained 30 lbs when I moved out of NYC. I walked everywhere in NYC and ate a huge amount of Chinese food from the excellent place across the street.

No, it's not bullshit, but you keep throwing tantrums.

Counting calories is a farce.

by Anonymousreply 5407/13/2013

Why is everyone worrying about 10-15 pounds of belly fat, or numbers?

Just aim for being HEALTHY. Shortcuts are just that, shortcuts, and they do more harm then good long term.

Make mindful, healthy choices.

by Anonymousreply 5507/13/2013

If I stick to a low calorie plan, can I have starches? I have egg whites every morning (I'm not really hungry but eat anyway). I love baked potatoes with plain Greek yogurt for lunch or dinner. I also love pasta with homemade marinara. The potato and pasta have a lot of carbs, but not a lot of calories. I can still stay under 1200 calories (I am a female) but I feel guilty about the carbs and starchy foods. I recently started dieting, so I'm really not sure how this will affect my weight.

by Anonymousreply 5607/13/2013

You should at least switch to a sweet potato - more beta carotene. White potatoes are pure sure; pasta, too.

by Anonymousreply 5707/13/2013

What about the dream fields pasta, that is supposed to have a lower glycemic index? I think it may have protein too.

by Anonymousreply 5807/13/2013

I know it's hard for people to give up the good stuff, but if you really need to have it, go with dream fields. However, treat it like it's regular pasta in that you should limit the amount. Don't think because it's lower GI, you can go overboard.

The idea I've always heard is cutting the serving size in half and mix in something like spaghetti squash or strips of zucchini so it gives you a larger portion of food without feeling deprived of something like pasta.

by Anonymousreply 5907/13/2013

Thanks, r59. I never thought about mixing in the spaghetti squash...I usually do pasta or spaghetti squash (but the squash alone is boring). I have to limit the dream fields anyway, because of the GI consequences.

by Anonymousreply 6007/13/2013

R53, I understand that people have different tastes but you should have tried my meatballs and meatloaf made with very, very finely ground oatmeal. Did you add enough garlic, onions, and oregano? Tomato sauce?

by Anonymousreply 6107/13/2013

R61, no one wants your fucking oatmeal meatloaf! Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 6207/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!