Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sweating problem

Anyone have any remedies for rampant sweatiness? I've cut the drinking alcohol to nearly nothing and I work out everyday. But when I get out the sun and start walking I can't help but start pouring sweat. Witch hazel is a temporary fix but no solution.

by Anonymousreply 3507/13/2013

You might have high blood pressure

by Anonymousreply 107/11/2013

Good question. My partner has a real problem with BO on hot days. It is not just his underarms, his back and forehead sweat has an acrid smell. His sweat is like acid. It eats through the back of a shirt as well as the underarms. Does anyone know what causes this?

by Anonymousreply 207/11/2013

An old roommate of mine had a profuse sweating problem. Her doctor prescribed a medication that is used to ease urinary incontinence in older people. I'm not kidding and, unfortunately, I can't remember its name. The perspiration was just from the underarms. She had tried underarm shields, but the sweat would come through around their edges. She said the med did the trick. Maybe something to discuss with your doctor.

by Anonymousreply 307/11/2013

The guy I'm dating has a terrible sweating problem. He takes a shower and 10 minutes later he's sweating and has strong body odor. He's tried many things including strong cologne which doesn't work. He's from a military family and his father used to insist that he take showers of five minutes or fewer. Once I told him he needed to take longer showers (20 minutes at least), it really helped.

by Anonymousreply 407/11/2013

Sounds like all of you just live a hot humid climate

by Anonymousreply 507/11/2013

R5, I, myself, do not.

by Anonymousreply 607/11/2013

Smoke a pipe; people will tell you you smell like a bonfire.

by Anonymousreply 707/11/2013

OP, were you a consistently heavy drinker for a year or more, and if so, how long has it been since you've cut way back? It can take a few months for the sweats to go away if you've been drinking heavily.

by Anonymousreply 807/11/2013

Also, if you're a nervous person you literally sweat the small stuff. Pot helps.

Otherwise, you may have a vagina and you're old enough to be going through "The Change".

Otherwise, you may be consuming too much caffeine.

Or you're fat.

by Anonymousreply 907/11/2013

Otherwise, I agree with R9.

by Anonymousreply 1007/11/2013

Caffeine causes excess sweating?

by Anonymousreply 1107/11/2013

I'd love to know R3's home remedy, too. I'm not a *super* profuse sweater, but I live in a hot, humid climate and can't walk for very long outside without my whole face breaking into a sweat. (And no, it's not booze or obesity causing it.) Thankfully my pits don't sweat all that much and I don't have a BO problem, though. One of my best female BFFs -- who weighs about 105 pounds dripping wet -- has had a lifelong issue with sweaty palms, too.

The one treatment I've heard of for extreme sweating problems is Botox. Seriously! If your problem is bad enough you can get it injected in various points in your armpits to cease the sweating; most health insurance plans even cover it. (I don't think you can get Botox in the face under insurance, however, regardless of how much your face sweats.)

by Anonymousreply 1207/11/2013

I wear oxford cloth shirts. They breathe, so the sweat doesn't stay contained within them. And I never ever wear T-shirts. They don't just sop up sweat, they cause it to collect.

Mesh polo shirts are good this way, too.

by Anonymousreply 1307/11/2013

r1 has an interesting point. I have elevated blood pressure, Im a thin person and I also end up with a face covered with sweat if I step outside.

by Anonymousreply 1407/11/2013

I saw this stuff on Amazon - looks like it gets positive reviews.

by Anonymousreply 1507/11/2013

Home remedy, R12? My roommate took prescribed medication. Can't recall the name, though.

by Anonymousreply 1607/11/2013

Per r8, I was a soggy sot till I went on the wagon.

Embarrassing as hell.

Took the cure, quit the booze entirely, & stopped sweating profusely.

by Anonymousreply 1707/11/2013

The problem with Botox is that you will have compensatory sweating in other places -- for instance if you get your underarms done, you will sweat more on your forehead and back. It has to come out somewhere. I would see an endocrinologist or dermatologist.

by Anonymousreply 1807/11/2013

I don't drink, but it always was a problem. I'm a big-boned woman and I hated wearing sleeveless blouses to keep from have stain trails running down. Because of my long wait for disability I didn't have the money for the surgery, so I read up and removed the sweat glands from my armpits myself. It was a real mess, and when I was done (at least I thought I was done - there are a lot of those things and pulling them through the holes I cut really hurt like hell) with one arm I could barely use that hand to work on the other side. And the glands kept breaking off - they're not hard and they're kind of squishy and pocky, so you have to be real careful.

So I would recommend just finding a good deodorant or learning to live with it or even going to a doctor because it isn't something to mess with yourself, no matter how strong an independent person you are. And one side got infected and now it's all lumpy from the scar tissue, so I can't wear a halter top the way I want in this hot weather. And I still sweat, too, because I didn't get all of them. The look like little sweetbreads except mine were pinky gray.

by Anonymousreply 1907/11/2013

Could be a drug side effect.

by Anonymousreply 2007/11/2013

I blame the bossa nova

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2013

"Because of my long wait for disability I didn't have the money for the surgery, so I read up and removed the sweat glands from my armpits myself. It was a real mess, and when I was done (at least I thought I was done - there are a lot of those things and pulling them through the holes I cut really hurt like hell) with one arm I could barely use that hand to work on the other side. And the glands kept breaking off - they're not hard and they're kind of squishy and pocky, so you have to be real careful."

Please tell me this is an EST!!

by Anonymousreply 2207/11/2013

My thoughts exactly, R22. Removed HER OWN sweat glands?!?

by Anonymousreply 2307/11/2013

I do not have that problem, R18, and I have botoxed the underarm area.

I've also botoxed my forehead and crowsfeet.

Because there is no sweat on which bacteria can grow, I don't have to use a deodorant or an antiperspirant.

My doctor drew my attention to this. Given the cost of my rx antiperspirant, botox is quite economical. Oddly enough, my insurance will cover it for my hyperhidrosis but not my rx antiperspirant.

by Anonymousreply 2407/11/2013

I've had a sweet tooth all my life, I love sodas, candy, cookies, etc. (Cue the fat jokes but I'm average size). I go through phases where I snack on sugary stuff a lot and then I go off sugar cold turkey. (The withdrawal headaches are the worst!).

FWIW, I notice when I go off sugar and don't have any sugary foods/drinks in my diet that my formerly sweaty palms dry up totally. And the minute I get back on eating sugar regularly, my palms are always sweaty.

It's not a 'nervous' sweaty palm issue, it's just that I notice my palms are slightly sweaty all the time when I'm eating a lot of sugar. Google "sugar sweaty palms" but others have noticed this as well.

My sweat has a different (cleaner) odor when I go off sugary foods/drinks as well. (FYI, I'm not diabetic and recently had my annual physical and my blood sugar numbers were normal.)

by Anonymousreply 2507/11/2013

R19, are you a large girl? Big through the hips? Roomy?

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2013

It's probably SGC (Sweat Gland Cancer).

by Anonymousreply 2707/12/2013

I don't drink, am in great shape, and when I run, I sweat. Who cares? It's feels great. My whole shirt is soaked. Love it. I don't have BO when I sweat, and I don't sweat when I'm not working out, which sounds like you too, OP. Gays. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 2807/12/2013

Assuming people are really objecting to the smell and not the copious sweat itself (which I believe is a treatable medical condition)...

I'm surprised noone mentioned organ detoxing. You can gently cleanse by drinking more water than usual, eating a watermelon a week for 6 weeks, and various other simple things. There are many things you can do cheaply and naturally to remove body odor. Certain herbs, mixtures of certain foods, detoxing organs, removing foods your body doesn't digest well.

There's always that antiperspirant called Certain Dry, which leaves you as dry as chalk, but it's not exactly natural or healthy.

(and R19. Holy shit!)

by Anonymousreply 2907/12/2013

R29, can you tell us more about detoxing organs? My partner is not fat, 6' 172lbs. He does wear oxford cloth shirts. After about 6 wearings in the hot days of summer, the shirts come out of the wash looking like something Tom Hanks wore in Castaway. I can deal with the smell, it isn't the typical BO smell, but he goes through clothes like crazy during the summer do to his acid sweat.

by Anonymousreply 3007/12/2013

It's not the heat -- its the humidity. I'm in a bucket of head sweat the past few days and it's not all that hot outside. But the humidity has been 76%.

by Anonymousreply 3107/12/2013

[quote] I'm surprised noone mentioned organ detoxing.

That's because we're not gullible idiots. Many of us have a science and medicine background.

by Anonymousreply 3207/12/2013

I can't stand having a sweaty anus...

by Anonymousreply 3307/12/2013

Are you on antidepressants? Paxil turned me into a fountain.

by Anonymousreply 3407/12/2013

Okay, just some simple ideas from the doctors I've spoken with:

Beets clean out the liver and have an amazing number of nutrients (I saw a sheet of paper, 3 columns filled top to bottom with all the nutrients in beets). Eat beets regularly. I eat 1 or 2 a week. Eat too many and you'll have looser stools, so watch that if you have issues.

Watermelon - 1 a week x 6 weeks. I think this one is for kidneys. Also loosens stools. Get the kind with seeds. They taste much better. Right now (July) is a great time to get them in the U.S., as the flavor is ideal. Grapes, while high in sugar, are also excellent for most bodies.

Those are just two simple, easier ideas for now. There's a ton of stuff you could research online. Or hook up with a doctor for more ideas. A doctor who keeps up with current research and medical journals, etc. There are some doctors out there who don't continue their education.

As for R32? I have clients who had bloodwork done (either bloodwork or urinalysis? I haven't done it - I just saw their printouts showing levels of their various toxins) before going on cleanses. Doctor-supervised cleanses excluded a large variety of foods most people eat, and included herbs and physical recommendations to move things through, too - they work on 5 emunctories for 3-6 weeks, depending. Then they had more tests done to see how the numbers reduced. You can pretend you're a doctor if you like, but I've seen the before and afters. This comes from local, respected doctors. I'll trust real doctors over some grumpy R32.

My personal doctor likes a gentler approach, so I don't do the hardcore cleanses, but I do ingest things that support the organs working as they should, along with a little exercise.

by Anonymousreply 3507/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.