It is time to take a step back and realize that excessive consumption is not delivering on its promise to provide happiness and fulfillment. Consumption is necessary, but excessive consumption is not. And life can be better lived (and more enjoyed) by intentionally rejecting it.
Consider this list of ten practical benefits of escaping excessive consumerism in your life:
1) Less debt.
2) Less life caring for possessions.
3) Less desire to upscale lifestyle norms.
4) Less environmental impact. .
5) Less need to keep up with evolving trends.
6) Less pressure to impress with material possessions.
7) More generosity.
8) More contentment.
9) Greater ability to see through empty claims.
10) Greater realization that this world is not just material.
Escaping excessive consumption is not an easy battle. If it were, it would be done more often… myself included. But it is a battle worth fighting because it robs us of life far more than we realize.