Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What the fuck is the big deal bout a "thigh gap"

My teenage nieces and their friends say that if a girl doesn't have one, she's fat. Now they are sitting by the pool yammering about it, comparing and talking about practically starving so they can have it. It sounds ridiculous. I don't remember "thigh gap" being in out vocabulary when we were in high school.

What's the big deal? Anyone else hear of such nonsense?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 11202/14/2014

*our vocabulary (not out)

by Hope they grow up soonreply 107/11/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Hope they grow up soonreply 207/11/2013

Sounds as if the gap they should be worrying about is the one between their ears.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 307/11/2013

This is not actually something that anyone worries about. I regret my own stupidity for reading the thread.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 407/11/2013

It's a thing that appears on a lot of pro-ana tumblers etc. Lots of pix of thigh gaps.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 507/11/2013

It's the newest trend in body Nazism; it's social conditioning, a new way for us to be taught to feel insecure about ourselves and to need to conform to a standard which keeps powerful people selling us shit we don't need. The more we feel dependent on having to be something specific set up as a desirable, the more dependent we are on the system that sells us similar benchmarks of success and adulation.

You know, the usual. This is nothing new. It's simply a new form of it.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 607/11/2013

I think I'd have a thigh gap, but for my enormous testicles.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 707/11/2013

It's just more ammunition for women, as they add to their favorite hobby of finding fault with other women and letting everybody know about these faults.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 807/11/2013

R8

THIS

by Hope they grow up soonreply 907/11/2013

I still don't know what it is.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 1007/11/2013

It's stupid because it depends on a person's natural gait as much as weight.

These girls sound toxic together. I'd pay for one way tickets to MichFest for the lot of them.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 1107/11/2013

Agree with R8. I would bet no straight man gives a shit about "thigh gap".

by Hope they grow up soonreply 1207/11/2013

Does this mean corduroy trousers are back in fashion?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 1507/11/2013

Ginger Rogers...no thigh gap

by Hope they grow up soonreply 1707/11/2013

It means your legs are so skinny that there is a gap below your minge.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 1807/11/2013

This is thigh gap:

by Hope they grow up soonreply 1907/11/2013

When I was in my 20s, a coworker said to me, "I would kill myself if my thighs touched each other and rubbed together." We wore scrub dresses at work, so she couldn't know that my thighs touched and rubbed together. So I went on Nutrisystem. I weighed 108 lbs and dieted myself down to 97lbs. My thighs still touched.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 2007/11/2013

Even professional ballerinas, for the most part, do not have "thigh gap." (Look at Darci Kistler, for instance.) The combination of emaciation and huge hips is not really aesthetically pleasing--in fact, it's disproportionate in opposite ways.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 2107/11/2013

I remember in 7th and 8th grade that being an issue and talked about.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 2207/11/2013

In the 80's, it meant a girl wasn't a virgin...again I was 8 or 9 years old at the time. Of course when I had sex education in catholic school that theory was debunked. As a female I still never wanted a gap between my thigh even knowing it had nothing to do with virginity. It's funny the shit kids talk about that would pass as truth...

by Hope they grow up soonreply 2307/11/2013

I remember when Christina Aguilara started out she had a huge thigh gap. I thought, "bitch, you could straddle a fire hydrant and not get wet".

by Hope they grow up soonreply 2407/11/2013

R19, actually it's worse that that.

I found out that for a "real" thigh gap, her knees have to be touching and feet together:

Disgusting, and I agree with R3, R6 and R8

by Hope they grow up soonreply 2507/11/2013

The more I find out about this, the more disgusted I am. I want to go slap those shallow, stupid girls right now.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 2707/11/2013

Me, OP at R27

by Hope they grow up soonreply 2807/11/2013

So, you basically have to be anorexic to achieve this "look"?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 2907/11/2013

my gosh, those women are absolutely hideous. I am gay but have dated women and I would not at ALL be attracted to a woman who looked like that.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3007/11/2013

OP, you've already shown you agree it's inane and they're more so.

Why are you hanging out with your moronic (and as someone else pointed out, toxic) niece and her equally vile friends? Even if you got to slap them (doubtful) it wouldn't be worth it.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3107/11/2013

Lots of 12 year olds worship Louis' beard, they call themselves Calderics. When they're asked why they like her and look up to her, they say because she's pretty and has a thigh gap. No kidding. This is a student who has literally done nothing.. they worship her ass just because she's pretty and thin. Disgusting.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3207/11/2013

[quote]Why are you hanging out with your moronic (and as someone else pointed out, toxic) niece and her equally vile friends?

I invited them for the week to swim, shop, etc. They live a few hundred miles away, and I thought it would be nice to have them and their friends out here for a visit. The last time I saw them they were eating pizza and mooning over Justin Beiber. Now they want lemon water and are mooning over Pharrell and anorexic models.

Help.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3307/11/2013

Perfectly proportioned legs were once called "three diamond legs."

Stand with legs facing straight, knees and ankles together. There should be three diamond shaped gaps. One between the the upper thigh and knees, one between the knees and where your calves are touching and one diamond shaped gap between the lower calf and ankle bones.

Not all dancers have this, but it is still the ideal.

Same for men as women, regardless of height.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3407/11/2013

It's nice to post Betty Grable, Ginger Rogers, and Ann Miller, but remember that they are considered "plus sized" by today's model standards.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3507/11/2013

[quote]Not all dancers have this, but it is still the ideal.

That's part of the problem. It's "ideal" for DANCERS. But now average girls want to look like that.

Just being a pretty girl isn't enough now. They want the body of a runway model, the face of a cosmetics model and the fame of a Kardashian.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3607/11/2013

Knock-kneed bimbos walking like hoes. You can have them bimbos. I'll keep my women like Flo-Jo

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3707/11/2013

"My teenage nieces and their friends say that if a girl doesn't have one, she's fat."

Gee, if I'd hung with these girls in high school I might have eaten that candy caramel bar with peanuts, and gone on to write songs like "Sunny Days and PayDays".

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3807/11/2013

If it's teenage girls, imo, atm they all seem to be modelling themselves/their thighs/bums on One Direction's Louis Tomlinson's girlfriend/'girlfriend' Eleanor Calder. It's rare in any opposite sex pairing the guy gets more press for having a bottom twice the size of the girl's.

It's a cult and I'll say no more, except to say that you assume with the passage of time and evolution teenage girls would get more empowered and savvy. And that that's never what happens, despite society's best attempts at promoting healthy individualism.

The cult of hero worship, faux adoration and 'fitting in' sadly prevails.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 3907/11/2013

I've always thought that girls with "thigh gap" look like they've been been hit with a 2x4 on their taint ...

by Hope they grow up soonreply 4007/11/2013

Have the girls watch the "Mandy" dance scene from "White Christmas". That'll cure 'em.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 4107/12/2013

The older I get, the more I realize how stupid people are. Anyone so stupid that s/he buys into all this bullshit corporate America and this society tells her/him is a complete idiot.

Very early in my life (teens), I realized that there are many, many things that men were rarely embarrassed about that, had a woman had or done them, she would be a pariah. Scratching her vagina (men scratch their balls in public), having a beer gut, sweating copiously, having rough, chapped skin, or dirty nails -- these are things straight men never feel embarrassed about. But -- I as a female was expected to make sure I never had/did these things.

Fuck that. If men aren't embarrassed about stuff like that, why should I be?

I kept myself relatively thin for many, many years, but only because I liked to exercise and be active; now that I'm older (55) and have had some life-changing injuries, I have (as you all would say), "let myself go." And hey -- if that straight man isn't bothered by his big belly, why should I be bothered by mine?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 4307/12/2013

Ha. I have one.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 4407/12/2013

R43, that reminds me of one of my first sexual encounters with a man (I'm a lesbian, btw, this incident did not contribute to that, lol). We were making out and he took off his shirt and pulled down his pants. He had the hairiest body I have ever seen, like a God damn bear, and the TINIEST penis ever (literally the size of my pinky finger). I remember thinking at the time "why is he not the slightest bit embarassed about any of this??" Not that we should be ashamed of our bodies, I just mean that I had been with women who apologized for not having shaved that morning, one woman apologized to me because she gets really wet (which I loved)--what is wrong with women? Why can't we be happy with our bodies?

And for the record, I shave everything. I just think it's sad that women apologize over having stubble on their pussy, but a man literally being covered in fur feels no shame whatsoever.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 4507/12/2013

It looks so disproportionate with the wide hips and skinny legs.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 4707/12/2013

[quote]That's part of the problem. It's "ideal" for DANCERS. But now average girls want to look like that.

No, R36. The "three diamond gap" does NOT include the disgusting but perversely coveted "thigh gap" which is higher up the leg, right under the crotch. The highest gap in the "ideal" that R34 was talking about is directly above the knee.

The "thigh gap" would look awful on most people. R6 is right, this is another example of the media promoting body hatred in order to sell products.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 4907/12/2013

You can see my pussy from behind.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5007/12/2013

Androgynous anorexia

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5107/12/2013

In high school in the 80s, it was cool if your corduroy jeans made a swishing sound.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5207/12/2013

I used to have my own meme saying about the "thigh gap". Really skinny women have them, but there are also some men who have them. Check out Page Fletcher's in the "Hitchhiker" intro...

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5307/12/2013

I can't find a pic showing three-diamond legs, but here's a video that shows it. The one on the left has it, the one on the right doesn't.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5407/12/2013

Old timer here to tell you teenage girls were doing this back in the 1960s. I was not skinny but I was very trim and I had the so called gap. It wasn't only about weight as much as the length of the leg and the muscle tone.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5507/12/2013

He fills those jeans out really well, R53. He doesn't look disproportionate like some of other pics in this thread.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5607/12/2013

Sillies. A thigh gap is the distance and time it takes for me to polish off an 'original' thigh and reach back in that KFC bucket for the next one. It's fuckin' imperceptible!

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5707/12/2013

Straight guys talking about a thigh gap. Hilarious and sad at the same time.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5807/12/2013

What R6 said.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 5907/12/2013

R58, that's what happens when you leave the world to straight men. Shit's gotta stop.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6007/12/2013

I actually feel a bit sad for straight women. I know we gay guys can be piggish and superficial, to say the least.. However it's men dealing with men.

The straight male/straight female dynamic is totally different. Of course it's easy to say, "Well, teh straight women don't have to put up with that shit!", but, they kind of do, to a certain extent.

Of course no man wants his wife or girlfriend to "let herself go" (and I mean gain 50/60lbs, not 10/20), but now many want her to look like a VS model, or she's not "acceptable". It's pretty disgusting. And again, I know gay men can be like that as well, but it's a different dynamic.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6107/12/2013

Ask a straight man about a " box gap" and most know what you mean.

It's not the look anorexics want, that's different. It's the very top part of you thighs, just under the vagina. That bit ideally doesn't touch. It's a sign of fitness not anorexia. Of course if you're thin but don't have a box gap you can also buy spanks to create this look. If you open up mens health mag and see a picture of a woman exercising they will all have this "box gap". If you're young and fit it's a pretty easy look to achieve. Next time you're at the gym or catch some straight guys looking at a girl in tight jeans, have a look at her thighs and you'll see what the look is.

I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers, that's how I know.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6207/12/2013

Um, no, R62, Straight men don't have a clue about this.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6307/12/2013

I agree R38.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6407/12/2013

Oops I meant R48.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6507/12/2013

Oh yes they do r63. Google box gap. Look up the box gap Facebook page. Then come back and tell me straight men dont know what it is.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6607/12/2013

I just asked six of my straight male co-workers ages 23-55. None of them knew what the fuck it meant. When I told them, they knew what it WAS, but they had never heard that term before.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6707/12/2013

[quote]Look up the box gap Facebook page.

No thanks!

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6807/12/2013

Most of them basically said it's no big deal, and wondered why there was even a name for it. Sexy, sure, but laughable that someone named a "space".

One guy said -

"I'm a tit man! Can you imagine saying you're a box gap man? Sounds juvenile to me. Some 12 year old probably made it up after getting into his dad's Playboy mags."

Another: "We like tits and ass. Who cares if there's a space there, as long as we get laid"

by Hope they grow up soonreply 6907/12/2013

R66 are you straight?

Just tell me that much right up front.

I don't give fuck what kind of Facebook group exists.

Straight.men.don't.care.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7007/12/2013

[quote]Anyone else hear of such nonsense?

Yes, it's called body shame. Are you aware that a standard of beauty exists? That people judge one another based on looks and fitness? That young, attractive, sexually active people compete with one another in the dating pool? That celebrity culture and the fashion industry promote unrealistic body types? That many women and a growing number of men (particularly gay men) struggle with eating disorders and body dysmorphia because of all of the above? That teenaged girls are mostly catty bitches?

Or are you really this stupid that you had to start a thread about this?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7107/12/2013

[quote]Straight.men.don't.care.

Exactly. See my posts at R67 and R69.

As long as they have tits in their face and an ass to grab, do you really think they give a shit?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7207/12/2013

Most young American women could afford to miss a meal. Or three.

Too thin is hardly the issue.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7307/12/2013

Oh fuck you R71. Get of your pretentious high horse and back to Mitchfest.

Obviously OP didn't know, and he thinks it's as disgusting as you do. He said he wanted to slap them when he found out what it was. He's a GAY MAN. How the fuck would he know about that shit?

Seriously, fuck right off.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7407/12/2013

[quote]body shame

A PC saying made up by fat lesbians so they feel better about themselves.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7507/12/2013

Thigh gap ? Box Gap?

In The Maritimes ( Eastern Canada) we always called those girls "Lobster Crackers"

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7607/12/2013

I don't think they want to look like dancers they want to look pre-pubescent. Most females don't look like that after adolescence.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7707/12/2013

[quote]He fills those jeans out really well, [R53].

He sure did. Page Fletcher was the main reason I watched "The Hitchhiker".

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7807/12/2013

The so-called box gap is indeed juvenile - it was last seen on naked Barbie dolls and the boy-men who "covet" such a thing (as others have stated above, real heterosexual men like tits & ass) probably didn't get to play with their sisters' Barbies enough and like to control women's bodies as adults.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 7907/12/2013

Steven Tyler weighs in: "Any girl in high heels and tight dungarees who you can put three fingers between her pussy and her legs, got a great walk."

by Hope they grow up soonreply 8007/12/2013

I guess it's okay if you're into women who look prepubescent.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 8107/12/2013

[quote]probably didn't get to play with their sisters' Barbies enough and like to control women's bodies as adults.

[quote]Steven Tyler weighs in

Well, there you have it..

by Hope they grow up soonreply 8207/12/2013

[QUOTE]Steven Tyler weighs in: "Any girl in high heels and tight dungarees...

The only other person I have ever heard refer to "dungarees" is my grandmother which is what her era called jeans. Granny was born in 1948, same year as Steven Tyler ....and btw you can still get 3 fingers in her "dungarees" there Stevie!

by Hope they grow up soonreply 8307/13/2013

I dunno but I was on a messageboard and some silly cunt said the "thigh gap" phenom was the fault of gay male designers. Not the fault of straight men because real straight men like a woman with "curves" and of course women themselves are never to blame for their own issues. Why do these straight fat female cunts always blame gay men?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 8407/13/2013

[Quote]Why do these straight fat female cunts always blame gay men?

You "dunno" ??

You saw this on a message board and came to that conclusion?

How old are you, 12?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 8507/13/2013

Listen bitches, one snap of our fingers and you'll all be back in hoopskirts and whalebone corsets by Labor Day.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 8607/13/2013

So pathetic that people equating looking "good" with looking emaciated.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 8807/13/2013

Well r85, it had over 200 likes. You haven't heard the "gay designers like models to look like 12 year old boys" argument that the pro-BBW activists use ad nauseum? basically they argue it's the pedophile gays in the media who push the female models to be thin because they're attracted to prepubescent boys. "REAL men don't like those twigs, only fags push that!"

by Hope they grow up soonreply 8907/13/2013

The gay pedo stuff is crazy, but you wonder why designers seem to create and perpetuate it though.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9007/13/2013

I'm 125 pounds, 5"5, with D's and a huge bubble butt and still have a thigh gap. I can't hold my phone phone or a small book between my tighs while I put my hair up or search my bag for keys etc.

It doesn't have that much to do with being skinny. I know plenty of friends that have been way smaller than me and never managed to get a thigh gap like me. Being skinny helps ofc and my gap gets bigger the less I weigh but it has more to do with your body constitution. I have wide hips and knees that don't touch even with my feet closed together. Idk, I used to think I looked wierd but I always get complimented on it and now matter how much I weigh I always have a space. Sadly some girls can never achieve that look unless they get really emaciated.

It's not a girl thing. Guys go crazy seeing a gap from behind it gives your ass "apple" or heart shape.

Guys actually love it more when I'm a bit heavier because I only have an upside down triangular space between the highest points of my tighs. Idk, it's weird but their eyes always gravitate towards it. I think it might be because it draws attention to your pu$$y. Ugh.

I have had guys get grossed out by the same thing if a girl has a tendency to show "camel toe". It has to be a straight line where the zip of your jeans end. The perfect gap is the most obvious in yoga pants it will be completly straight. I've heard that a gap is ruined by camel toe.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9107/13/2013

If you have to work that hard, R91, start seeing women.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9207/13/2013

I think you may have bow legs or knock knees r91.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9307/13/2013

R92 I don't understand. Work hard at what?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9407/13/2013

R93 Yeah you are right, my legs might be slightly bowed. Definitly not knock- kneed or cowlegs as they are called here. It one of my biggest turn-offs.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9507/13/2013

Anorexic.

Actually, the perfect legs have been broken down to touch at the top, the knees, the calves and ankles. That is the standard formula for great gams.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9607/13/2013

Actually this area of the body used to be referred to as "Factory Air". It was even referenced in a Led Zeppelin song "Trampled Underfoot".

A lot of it is genetics. Some women just don't gain weight there while others can be skinny and never obtain it. Who cares about being fat in that area? Pretty much no one.

Girls are fucking stupid.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9707/13/2013

I never even heard of a "thigh gap" until now. It does seem like just another way for self-loathing females to compete with each other. I realize it's easier said than done, but I wish women would stop giving men (and what men supposedly want) so much power over them. Straight men don't even know what they want half the time - they just want whatever they're told to want, by the media or whomever else. They're sheep, just like women.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9807/13/2013

[quote]I never even heard of a "thigh gap" until now

Really? You've never even seen one before?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 9907/14/2013

Is this considered a thigh gap? Is this her natural look?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10007/15/2013

[quote]Sadly some girls can never achieve that look unless they get really emaciated.

SADLY? You're kidding, right? No wonder girls are fucked up. It's not SAD if a girl/woman doesn't have one. You're part of the problem.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10107/15/2013

It's not that big a deal having one.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10207/16/2013

Well considering I know a few female athletes with no thigh gap and gasp cellulite I'd say they're off. I do not envy women with the constant shit they have to put up with. And the worst of it seems to come from other women.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10307/16/2013

The thigh gap came from the design of a barbie doll. Young girls were taught that the toy barbie doll had the attributes of a beautiful woman. The barbie mold has a huge thigh gap.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10407/16/2013

The sickness is from looking at AIR-BRUSHED fashion photos.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10507/16/2013

"Factory Air" ?? Wow.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10607/16/2013

wtf?

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10702/14/2014

Nik Richie is a huge fan of the ITG. His site (thedirty.com) is the worst for promoting some vague notion of female perfection.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10802/14/2014

R12 sadly, I have read forums where men (and not young men, but maladjusted over 40 and 50 year old men) have discussed thigh gap and the sight of collarbones as two important factors in choosing mates. Oddly, in their advanced years, they are still single. Go figure (eyeroll).

So, there are straight men to whom this idiocy is, on some level, important.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 10902/14/2014

Mariel Hemingway's daughter Dree(Ernest Hemingway's great-granddaughter) is a perfect example of this look (link NSFW). Let's hear it for America's porniest literary family. Looks more emaciated than "good" to me but at least she shaves down to a landing strip, unlike her bushy mom and aunt during their heydays.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 11002/14/2014

I dislike thigh gap, it just looks odd to me. Then again I don't find the waify model look terribly attractive, and most models seem to have thigh gap. Oof, those women are all bones!

by Hope they grow up soonreply 11102/14/2014

I prefer the luscious gap-less thighs of Gemma Arterton.

by Hope they grow up soonreply 11202/14/2014
Need more help? Click Here.