Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anita Baker: Is the Diva Back?

Girlfriend just cancelled a concert - little notice and no reason.

She's supposed to give bitchery and diva attitude a whole new meaning - is this Return of the Diva Bitch?

by Anonymousreply 55Last Saturday at 7:14 PM

She makes Diana Ross seem tame.

by Anonymousreply 107/11/2013

This is why Anita remains a broke, tax avoiding bitch.

by Anonymousreply 207/11/2013

Really ? What did really happen to her ? She was huge. However , I saw her in concert once, at the Greek Theater in LA, at her peak, and was still shocked at what she did. She was in the middle of a song, stopped, and said " I'm sorry ladies, and gentlemen, but I have a sound man here that is not allowing me to hear properly, in my ear piece. Excuse me". I was in the front row, and could see everything. She walked over, and just out of sight, of most of the audience, started screaming, and waving her hands at someone, in the wings. She came back, began the song again, and then began frantically pointing her right thumb upward, as if to say, up, up need more (presumably, for sound). A few seconds later, she stopped again , and walked off stage, as the orchestra played on. After a short break, maybe 5 minutes, she walked onstage again, and said " Ok ladies, and gentlemen, we shouldn't have any more problems". My friend and I were stumped. The weird thing was, she sound fantastic to us, the audience, and we felt it was just very indulgent for a performer to stop the show twice. Could it have just been a Diva fit ?

by Anonymousreply 307/11/2013

When she toured with Luther Vandross back in the day, they allegedly locked horns too.

by Anonymousreply 407/11/2013

She always looked like a shiny little cockroach to me. All skittery like.

And I assumed it was the PowPowPowder I was huffing.

'parently not.

by Anonymousreply 507/11/2013

Maybe, D, but she sure can outsing you, even at her worst. should gave up dem ciggies, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 607/11/2013

I saw her last summer and it was like what R3 said, but worse.

She would play a song or two, then start in with the bitching about the sound. She would try singing her instructions, like "turn it up a level," which got to be really annoying. Twice, she stopped things cold mid song and said something like, "We're not going to start until we get it like it was in sound check."

It was an outdoor show and the crowd was tiny, maybe a fourth of the way filled. We had free tickets, and I suspect others did too. People started walking out halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 707/11/2013

When Baker was a big deal in the late 80s, stories of her cuntishness were legion. She did a tour with Luther Vandross, and even he couldn't stand her. And Luther was a cool guy who got along with everybody.

by Anonymousreply 807/11/2013

How has she lived all these years ? Off what ? All I can think of is she wrote all her songs, and gets the BMI royalties. Concerts ? Sounds like she cancels a lot. Toni Braxton went broke, and her success was much more recent. Seriously, anyone know ?

by Anonymousreply 907/11/2013

She's a horror show and well-known for it. Extremely insecure and takes it out on everyone around her.

by Anonymousreply 1007/11/2013

She's a mainstay on all the lite FM stations.

I was responsible for getting our elevator music switched to a classical music station in the early 00s.

I'd sing along with Anita Baker and hit every note - and torture the fuck out of it (Ethel Merman on helium).

by Anonymousreply 1107/11/2013

Playing to sparse crowds of free ticket holders is what she deserves, imo, and not because of her bad attitude. People overrated her because she was jazzy, same thing happened with Sade. Their songs and performances were mediocre and predictable, and never impressed me one bit.

by Anonymousreply 1207/11/2013

[quote]same thing happened with Sade. Their songs and performances were mediocre and predictable, and never impressed me one bit.

Uh, maybe Sade didn't impress you, but the singer (and her band) are still massive. She can take 10 years off and come back and play arenas.

by Anonymousreply 1307/11/2013

[quote] And Luther was a cool guy who got along with everybody.

Oh no, honey. Luther was a Queen Bitch from Hell. That was the problem with the tour. Two big diva cunts who locked horns and made everyone's lives hell.

Sade has some mediocre recent music, but her live shows are great and she still sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 1407/11/2013

"Their songs and performances were mediocre and predictable, and never impressed me one bit."

List the singers who do meet your standards.

by Anonymousreply 1507/11/2013

Didn't Anita and Whitney hit it big at about the same time? I used to love No one in the world..

by Anonymousreply 1607/11/2013

There's something very unique and very comforting about Sade's music, which is why I believe she's still as popular now as she was when she first appeared and went on to win her first Grammy as Best New Artist back in the 80s.

I agree r14. Remember when Luthor and En Vouge went on tour together in the early 90s. I saw the show and it was phenomenal. Than about a week afterward it was announced that En Vogue would be leaving the tour. The word out there was that Luther put those girls through hell. I vaguely remember reading some interview from them about that time stating as much.

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2013

Mmm hmm, R17. Thanks for reminding me. I knew examples of Luther's cuntiness were out there somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 1807/12/2013

Sade is very wealthy, she makes millions from her tours and hit albums every 10 years or so, then she goes off and takes it easy. I don't think Anita is in that league.

by Anonymousreply 1907/12/2013

Does Sade spend all her money on hats?

by Anonymousreply 2007/12/2013

The girls from En Vogue dubbed Luther "Luther-fer". The think with Luther is he had a stable of background singers from Lisa Fischer to Audrey Wheeler who were loyal to him and were with him for years. I would love to know the specifics of the rift between him and the girls of En Vogue.

by Anonymousreply 2107/12/2013

{quote] Does Sade spend all her money on hats?

No, weaves.

That bitch has some serious alopecia and her bald ass hasn't changed hairstyles in years so she can hide that shit. She has good wig game, though.

Better than a certain washed up singer at R5. Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2013

This is quickly becoming our favorite thread. Shade galore...

by Anonymousreply 2307/12/2013

Well, if Dawn Robinson was in En Vogue at the time, I can only imagine the diva bitchfests on display during the Luther tour...

by Anonymousreply 2407/12/2013

R13 Exactly. I can name several Sade songs off the top of my head, but the only songs I (and most people) remember from Anita is "Sweet Love" and "Giving You the Best that I Got". For Anita to have this diva (aka bitch) attitude takes nerve considering her lack of hit songs.

by Anonymousreply 2507/12/2013

lol love me some Anita. She is a true diva.

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2013

I was simply relieved to hear she was off the smack for a change. Didn't she lose her fortune to a compulsive gambling habit and subsequently turn to Mormonism?

by Anonymousreply 2707/12/2013

I read the Luther vs. En Vogue feud started when En Vogue asked that Luther's band be moved off stage while they performed. Apparently some people in the crowd said the band was blocking their view of En Vogue. Luther didn't like this at all and then went HAM on them. He ordered a curtain to be placed between his camp and theirs, with separate eating times and everything. He stopped all communication.

btw Dawn Robinson is on the LA season of R&B Divas for anyone to wants to watch that drama queen. It premiered this week.

by Anonymousreply 2807/12/2013

Is Dawn the En Vogue member who is bipolar or schizo?

by Anonymousreply 2907/12/2013

r25

actually -

Sweet Love Giving you the best that I got No one in the world Caught up in the Rapture Lately

only Sade song I know is that ordianry love song.

by Anonymousreply 3007/12/2013

You know Anita's a bitch cunt like no other when even sound engineers openly complain about her at the Grammys. I mean, to be thought of as worse than even Streisand, the mother of all difficult tantrum throwing diva bitches...

[quote] Artists hardly ever bad mouth each other backstage at the Grammys. But Al Schmitt, who won the Best Engineer award for his work with Diana Krall, managed to shoehorn in a put-down.

[quote] While praising Krall as "easy to work with," he contrasted her with Anita Baker, whom he called "very difficult." He elaborated with another comparison.

[quote] "She [Barbra Streisand] can be tough. But at least you know what she wants and there's a light at the end of the tunnel. With Anita Baker, that's not true."

by Anonymousreply 3107/13/2013

[quote]only Sade song I know is that ordianry love song.

What a meaningless statement. It doesn't matter how many Sade songs you know, Sade is very obviously much more successful than Anita Baker.

Comparing the two is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3207/13/2013

Anita Baker is a BITCH with a capital B.

by Anonymousreply 3307/16/2013

I found this thread fascinating because I am a huge fan of Anita Baker from that very first album and video. She had an AWFUL break-up with her record company, I knew that, but is she really close to being broke?

I will say she posts on Twitter A LOT - whether praising Jesus or talking about football.

by Anonymousreply 3401/19/2014

She's that little bitty one, isn't she? Used to look like a raisin but with all that plumping more like a grape now.

I hear she makes herself thirsty looking in the mirror. YOU know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 3501/19/2014

Anita cunted herself out of a career.

by Anonymousreply 3601/19/2014

She still did concerts around here, some multiple nights like Kid Rock. She's been around.

by Anonymousreply 3701/20/2014

"She brings me joy"

by Anonymousreply 3801/20/2014

R27,

No that's Gladys Knight.

I remember her talking about dealers in Las Vegas begging her to quit (gambling), but she didn't listen to them.

If you hear her onstage now, she praises "Heavenly Father" and not God or Jesus. Big Mormon giveaway right there.

by Anonymousreply 3901/20/2014

[quote] She has good wig game, though.

Sade ain't changed her weave-with-a-bun for thirty years. Though she occasionally wears Wig #2, the long and curly one.

She probably has some nasty as hair underneath.

by Anonymousreply 4001/20/2014

The best sound I ever heard at a live show was an Anita Baker one. So maybe she's on to something. A lot of these sound guys are not that good.

by Anonymousreply 4101/20/2014

Sade could wipe her ass with Anita Baker's career. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 4201/20/2014

She's a bigoted tool, but I did like "Paper Roses"

by Anonymousreply 4301/20/2014

Sade disappeared for 10+ years, then dropped an album that went straight to #1 around the world. She's in a different league than (the also talented) Ms. Baker.

by Anonymousreply 4401/20/2014

I love Sade. . .but there are times when I can't tell one album from the other. It's almost as if she/they remake the sane album. Over and over and over again. No growth, no change. But yet I buy each one knowing it'd basically going to be yet another retread down the exact same musical notes as the last one.

As for Anita? Loved the huge debut album, liked the follow-up, found everything after to be third rate and bland. Sade may be repetitive but she's in a different league. Sade is Madonna to Baker's Debbie Gibson.

by Anonymousreply 4501/20/2014

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4601/20/2014

Never could stand her music nor her voice. That goes double for Sade.

by Anonymousreply 4701/20/2014

But...but...I'm Giving You The Best That I Got!

by Anonymousreply 4801/20/2014

Let me hijack the thread, albeit briefly...I heard the falling out between Luther and En Vogue was because the girls were on a homophobic Jesus trip and putting up signs like "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" backstage.

by Anonymousreply 4901/20/2014

And we all know the biggest diva queen was MISS LUTHER!

by Anonymousreply 5001/20/2014

I just saw this on YouTube and....

Ugh, I am snarky as the next bitch but...this makes me pause. Anita has some serious sadness in her eyes. Something really deep.

And OMFG this is a great set of clips. Including Dionne fucking Farris who sounds phenomenal

by Anonymousreply 5101/26/2014

Anita just threw shade at the same-sex wedding ceremony at the Grammys!

@IAMANITABAKER

look at what just happened.... is it real? publicity stunt?...

by Anonymousreply 5201/26/2014

Cheryl Lynn goes OFF on twitter after finding out that Anita Baker blocked her! lol

all 4 pages:

by Anonymousreply 53Last Thursday at 11:18 AM

I used to like her until she started hating on the homosexuals. She even put me off Florida orange juice. Does anyone remember when she was Miss Oklahoma?

by Anonymousreply 54Last Thursday at 4:40 PM

What a timely joke, R54.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Saturday at 7:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.