Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sources confirm VA Gov. McDonnell negotiating resignation

July 10, 2013

Multiple sources in Richmond's legal community have confirmed to me that the investigation of Star Scientific by state and federal prosecutors turned up what they feel is sufficient evidence to charge Virginia's Republican Governor Bob McDonnell and his wife Maureen with one or more felonies and in consequence, McDonnell is attempting to negotiate his resignation in exchange for no prosecution of Virginia's first couple.

This story first broke on Saturday, July 6, 2013 when Republican blogger Willie Deutsch told his shocked readers that Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell was negotiating a resignation. It being the weekend, I was unable to confirm this story immediately. I now have multiple sources from within Richmond's legal community confirming that an investigation of the connections between Bob McDonnell, Maureen McDonnell, Star Scientific,Inc., and Star Scientific's CEO Jonnie Williams has turned up sufficient evidence to present a case to a federal grand jury this week. The McDonnells have apparently seen the writing on the wall and are now trying to avoid a felony conviction in exchange for a quick and clean exit from Virginia's Governor's Mansion.

The irony is palpable--accused of influence peddling, the McDonnells are attempting to barter their way to freedom with the very office they are accused of having used to solicit gifts from Jonnie Williams and Star Scientific.

Confirmation of this story also explains the sudden shift in position of Virginia's Republican Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli. Last week, Ken Cuccinelli claimed he was unaware of the investigation of Bob McDonnell. This past Monday he claimed the investigation was "not related to me." Today, Wednesday July 10, 2013, Ken Cuccinelli attempted to take credit for the investigation.* According to NBC News' First Read blog: The question now becomes whether McDonnell's fall from grace hurts gubernatorial nominee Ken Cuccinelli, who Democrats point out also has close ties to Jonnie Williams (including accepting gifts from him). The Cuccinelli campaign responds that Cucinelli’s AG office initiated this investigation, and they don’t believe McAuliffe will be a credible messenger to attack them on this issue. But it’s hard to see how this doesn’t hurt Cuccinelli, because he needs to court moderates and the GOP business community, and right now McDonnell looks to be toxic to help him with those groups. Meanwhile, the Cuccinelli campaign is hitting Democratic gubernatorial nominee Terry McAuliffe for campaigning today with Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley. “Gov. O’Malley signed the largest tax increase in Maryland history and earned a ‘D’ rating for supporting increased spending and higher taxes. He supports the war on coal, Obamacare, and even forced non-union teachers to pay union fees,” the Cuccinelli campaign says in a release. Get it Ken? You can't attack Terry McAuliffe for his association with a honest, fiscally responsible Democratic governor and expect to avoid having your relationship with crooked, ethically compromised Republican Governor Bob McDonnell examined. In point of fact, it appears that Cuccinelli attempted to delay or even derail investigation of McDonnell. Ken Cuccinelli is hopelessly entangled with Virginia's soon to be disgraced Governor Bob McDonnell. It's time to examine the evidence pointing to Cuccinelli trying to cover up "Giftgate."

The graphic below was created by Progress Virginia and it outlines how Ken Cuccinelli became embroiled in an influence peddling scheme with Star Scientific, Inc.

by Anonymousreply 3707/11/2013

Hah!

by Anonymousreply 107/11/2013

The Progress VA graphic illustrating gifts to McDonnell and Cuccinelli is terrific.

McDonnell is a buffoon, but I loathe Cuccinelli -- so much so that every time I get any plea from any Virginia Democrat' campaign (which is quite often), I fire off another contribution. Cuccinelli and George Allen are the best fundraisers imaginable for their opponents.

by Anonymousreply 207/11/2013

I would love to fuck Cuccinelli but then toss him off a bridge afterwards. I am suffering from moral ambiguity her.

by Anonymousreply 307/11/2013

Coochie is far worse than McDonnell.

It appears he might be getting a little wet from the shitstorm. Hee!

by Anonymousreply 407/11/2013

As soon as they shoehorn YOUR bastard down there, send the prosecutors up here to Pennsylvania. I'd LOVE to get rid of Corbett.

by Anonymousreply 507/11/2013

Well, so Bill Bolling will get to be governor after all.

So much for McDonnell's presidential aspirations.

I suspect this will also give Terry McAuliffe better odds at winning the election this year.

by Anonymousreply 607/11/2013

It's always nice to see the family values people exposed as criminals.

by Anonymousreply 707/11/2013

[quote]As soon as they shoehorn YOUR bastard down there, send the prosecutors up here to Pennsylvania. I'd LOVE to get rid of Corbett.

It's not quite the same situation. I mean, not with corruption, that's the same, but the Governor of Virginia can only serve non-consecutive terms. McDonnell's term is up in January.

The ironic part is that under the previous governor (and now Senator) Tim Kaine, McDonnell was Attorney General and Bill Bolling was the Lieutenant Governor. McDonnell and Bolling had a gentleman's agreement where McDonnell, who had 2016 Presidential aspirations would run for governor first, and then Bolling would follow him this year. Then Cuccinelli, who is not only insane and stupid, but also intensely disliked by a lot of the Virginia Republican establishment decided to jump the line. There were a lot of people who tried to convince Bolling to run as an independent, but that would have probably just given McAuliffe an easier time.

Ironically, when/if Bolling is sworn is as Governor, the VA Senate will have an equal number of Democrats and Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 807/11/2013

Weren't McDonnell's chances for President already over after the vaginal probes issue? I certainly don't think he could win the women's vote.

by Anonymousreply 907/11/2013

He recently had to pay the state for state purchased food and booze that his twin sons ripped off to take to college.

by Anonymousreply 1007/11/2013

No, I think Governor Ultrasound (TM Rachel Maddow) shot his Presidential aspirations in the foot with that, but it was good red meat to throw to the Tea Party crowd, especially given that he's an alumnus of Pat Robertson's Regent University.

Now he's far too damaged by this to even attempt a primary run.

And the funniest part to me is that Bolling actually will get to be governor and Cuccinelli will not.

by Anonymousreply 1107/11/2013

This is good news, but it also confirms a horrible double standard.

McDonnell deserves to be prosecuted. But, why not Corzine?

by Anonymousreply 1207/11/2013

[quote]He recently had to pay the state for state purchased food and booze that his twin sons ripped off to take to college.

Personally, I'd make sure that the state police search Maureen McDonnell as she moves out of the Governor's Mansion. I wouldn't put it past her to try to stick the silverware into the Louis Vuitton bag she got from Star Scientific.

by Anonymousreply 1307/11/2013

[quote]I wouldn't put it past her to try to stick the silverware into the Louis Vuitton bag she got from Star Scientific.

Silverware was a problem with John Ashcroft when he was Governor of Missouri. He was refusing to return the silver service to the USS Missouri when it was recommissioned. U.S. battleships traditionally had a big silver punchbowl that Ashcroft didn't want to return to the ship. The story made front page headlines throughout the state.

by Anonymousreply 1407/11/2013

[quote] He recently had to pay the state for state purchased food and booze that his twin sons ripped off to take to college.

That doesn't bother me. It doesn't say much about his parenting nor about his boy's having acquired a sense of right and wrong and the importance of appearances to those in public office, but it's "small potatoes" and can be dismissed as "youthful indiscretion." (Far better people have suffered greater embarrassment from family members.)

It's McDonnell's own established pattern of actions and his obliviousness both to ethics and appearances that's troublesome. Doing one questionable small thing once or a couple or few disconnected events where it's the letter more than the spirit of the ethics laws that are skirted, that can be written off to confusion of rules or simple oversight. Correct it as soon as it's discovered, issue an apology or explanation, and move on.

But to repeatedly accept financial benefits from the same sources...any fucking idiot knows that that is both wrong and likely to cause trouble if made public. And that's what both McDonnell and Cuccinelli have done.

by Anonymousreply 1507/11/2013

I would prefer for this scandal to crest closer to the election, in late September or mid October.

by Anonymousreply 1607/11/2013

Well, McDonnell's part may be finished, but from the sounds of things, Cuccinelli's part is just getting started.

Besides, this will give grist to anti-Cuccinelli ads all the way until election day.

by Anonymousreply 1707/11/2013

Wouldn't we all, R16. But it doesn't always work that way in politics, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 1807/11/2013

[quote]It doesn't say much about his parenting nor about his boy's having acquired a sense of right and wrong and the importance of appearances to those in public office,

It looks to the failure of parenting skills of both parents. The sons probably figure that as first family of the state, they can get away with flaunting the law. Recent revelations show that parents and offspring share the same attitude.

When the son was arrested naked and drunk in public one night last week, he probably figured he could get away with it. After all, his father is governor of the commonwealth.

by Anonymousreply 1907/11/2013

[quote]naked and drunk

Naked? Where'd you get that? It wasn't in any news report I read though the thought of the blond soccer hottie nude in public is a nice one.

by Anonymousreply 2007/11/2013

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Good riddance to bad garbage, piece of shit and hopefully soon: Ex Gov. Bob McDonnell.

by Anonymousreply 2107/11/2013

[quote]He recently had to pay the state for state purchased food and booze that his twin sons ripped off to take to college.

Now, I can cut that some slack. There is only one kitchen in the Governor's Mansion. So sometimes it may be hard to figure out what food is personal versus what belongs to the state. It's the other stuff that stinks.

by Anonymousreply 2207/11/2013

How do we get rid of our terrible Governor?

by Anonymousreply 2307/11/2013

I don't understand how he could avoid felony prosecution by resigning. Either he committed the crime or he didn't and a trial will determine it. He's not on trial where he can plead to a lesser charge. He violated state and federal laws and tried to influence the state to purchase Star Scientific's products.

by Anonymousreply 2407/11/2013

[quote]I don't understand how he could avoid felony prosecution by resigning.

R24. Sometimes the feds' ultimate goal of an investigation is to get you out of office when it's pretty clear you broke the law. Once out of office, they may drop the charges or end the investigation. No, it's not right, but sometimes that's how it works.

But on this one, I hope they throw McDonnell's ass in jail.

by Anonymousreply 2507/11/2013

Vote, R23, vote.

OTOH, I don't think he won the first election.

by Anonymousreply 2607/11/2013

Latest from the WaPo.

So far, McDonnell hasn’t faced intense pressure to resign. Polling has shown encouraging signs for him; Democrats and Republicans have largely refrained from calling for his head, and he just hasn’t sounded like a pol ready to call it a day...

by Anonymousreply 2707/11/2013

Right, but the polling would be based on the information that's out there already.

McDonnell could know that they have something that's not public yet, something big enough to make resignation a necessity.

by Anonymousreply 2807/11/2013

If he was convicted of one of these felonies, wouldn't it require him to stop being Governor?

by Anonymousreply 2907/11/2013

[quote]McDonnell deserves to be prosecuted. But, why not Corzine?

Corzine is too rich to be held accountable for his deeds.

by Anonymousreply 3007/11/2013

Once he resigns in disgrace he'll be fit to run for Comptroller of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 3107/11/2013

[quote]So far, McDonnell hasn’t faced intense pressure to resign. Polling has shown encouraging signs for him; Democrats and Republicans have largely refrained from calling for his head, and he just hasn’t sounded like a pol ready to call it a day...

It also doesn't help that with the exception of the Post, the papers in Virginia's major metropolitan areas are either burying the lede or severally downplaying the story. This is especially true of Richard Times-Dispatch (aka the Republican Times-Dispatch) and my old hometown paper the Virginian Pilot.

I assume the really red-meat papers out in Western VA are ignoring it entirely.

by Anonymousreply 3207/11/2013

R32, I have not heard or read anything here in Virginia. I'm not buying this.

by Anonymousreply 3307/11/2013

The arrogance of the sanctimonious.

by Anonymousreply 3407/11/2013

I'm starting to look pretty good, aren't I1

by Anonymousreply 3507/11/2013

HE RESIGNED!!!

by Anonymousreply 3607/11/2013

Sorry, just being a drunken wishful thinking ass.

R36 is an outright lie.

I'd like to apologize to my everlasting Saviour, Jesus.

Someday I hope to be a better man.

by Anonymousreply 3707/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.